Start by marking “Thirteen Uncollected Stories By John Cheever” as Want to Read:
Thirteen Uncollected Stories By John Cheever

Thirteen Uncollected Stories By John Cheever

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
This is the first new collection of John Cheever stories in more than fifteen years, and the first time these stories have ever been collected. Originally published in the 1930s and 1940s in magazines which run the gamut from obscure leftist literary periodicals, through The New Republic and The Atlantic Monthly, to mass circulation glossies like Colliers and Cosmopolitan, ...more
Published August 30th 2005 by Academy Chicago Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Thirteen Uncollected Stories By John Cheever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thirteen Uncollected Stories By John Cheever

Nancy
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some of the stories were quite good. Others left me wanting more, which is a good thing in those instances, and a couple of them I just didn't care for. Would be interested in reading a book he has written instead of short stories.
G
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having been utterly disappointed in the collected works of Mavis Gallant, I was hesitant to pick up the collected Cheever. When I spotted this smaller collection it seemed to be a safe risk without a huge commitment.

Terrific stuff. At some point I'll certainly be picking up the collected works.
Realini
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Common Day by John Cheever

Nothing extraordinary happens in this short story. After all, only a raccoon dies. Which is a good reason for me to get upset, since I do not feel in terms of a raccoon is shot and that means nothing, but if a man is killed, that makes it a possibly interesting thriller.
There are many moments of tenderness, or just simple life snapshots- when a little girl wants real pearls, not the fake ones.
Then we have the strange gardener that reminded me of Chancey, played by t
John Daily
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a fascinating look at a master storyteller's start. It's a footnote to an amazing career that shows what might have been, had Cheever not had sense enough at age 19 (when most of this collection was written) to quickly recognize his own stifled creativity as he aped his literary hero. What starts off as a few, almost mimeographed copies (this is 1936, after all) of Hemingway's tough, terse voice for prose, changes more quickly than one can almost believe. Joycean sentences begin to add s ...more
Billy
Dec 22, 2008 rated it liked it
good, only because there is a red handed fanny notion in this. ar har.

he writes okay. he is, um, proliferate.
Pbwritr
Did not enjoy at all. Stories don't make sense. No point to them that I could tell.
Og Maciel
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just couldn't put it down... and if this is considered to be his "embryonic phase" as a writer, I can hardly wait to read what critics call his best works!
Melanie  Hilliard
Dec 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Happy that I read it. Can see the future of genius, but his special spark was still in its infancy.
Sean
Aug 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Cheever is undoubtably one of the great American writers of the twentieth century. Really very enjoyable to read.
Dee
Jan 18, 2015
Anthony
Oct 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
John Cheever was an American novelist and short story writer, sometimes called "the Chekhov of the suburbs" or "the Ovid of Ossining." His fiction is mostly set in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, the suburbs of Westchester, New York, and old New England villages based on various South Shore towns around Quincy, Massachusetts, where he was born.

His main themes include the duality of human nature:
More about John Cheever