Start by marking “The Stories of John Cheever” as Want to Read:
The Stories of John Cheever

The Stories of John Cheever

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  12,740 Ratings  ·  610 Reviews
Here are sixty-one stories that chronicle the lives of what has been called "the greatest generation." From the early wonder and disillusionment of city life in "The Enormous Radio" to the surprising discoveries and common mysteries of suburbia in "The Housebreaker of Shady Hill" and "The Swimmer," Cheever tells us everything we need to know about "the pain and sweetness o ...more
Published May 16th 2000 by Vintage International (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Stories of John Cheever, please sign up.

Jesse Fox This collection isn't a "complete works edition." He wrote at least 172 short stories, 61 of which are collected here. It omits, largely if not…moreThis collection isn't a "complete works edition." He wrote at least 172 short stories, 61 of which are collected here. It omits, largely if not entirely at his request, much of his earlier work (at least 50 stories pre-"The Sutton Place Story," which was first published in 1946). I think your issue will be finding one of his shorter collections that is still in print. If you must do a collection, I like The Brigadier and the Golf Widow, but I would do yourself a favor and read The Stories of John Cheever. Awards don't mean that much, but there's a reason that this collection won the Pulitzer Prize, the National Book Critics Circle Award, and the National Book Award.(less)
Tony Some of his description implies it since certain things he highlights are unlikely to be mentioned by a heterosexual male, guess that gives him an…moreSome of his description implies it since certain things he highlights are unlikely to be mentioned by a heterosexual male, guess that gives him an advantage to a certain degree. However his stories seem to read like a watercolour as opposed to a vibrant oil painting but perhaps that was the way it was done in the early 1900s.(less)

Kim-kers
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Try reading John Cheever all summer and working at a country club. That'll mess with you.
Perry
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, add2
Alcoholism, Adultery, Abjection/Depression [orig. 5/19/16]

Maybe I'd appreciate these stories more if I were cultured enough to enjoy reading of sadness, broken lives and shattered dreams. I loved three story collections from a few years ago which also had a melancholy bent:Fortune Smiles: Stories by Adam Johnson, Thirteen Ways of Looking: Fiction by Colum McCann, and The Tsar of Love and Techno: Stories by Anthony Marra.

For me, their difference from Cheever's stories-taken as a whole--are their
Jacob
Jul 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
October 2009
Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.
I'm not a very good student of History. I haven't read Herodotus, or Thucydides, or the other great classical historians. But I did see 300, and I spent about five minutes on Wikipedia, so I know a little about the Battle of Thermopylae. There's a monument there, at the site of the battle, with a neat little epitaph in Greek (see above) which, according to one translation, says:
Go tell the Spartans,
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
These stories are primarily about people who suck, but who somehow manage to maintain the appearance of people who don't suck. Eventually, they push their luck and are exposed. Then all the neighbors gossip about them, because it's better to keep the focus on the suckers who've been found out and hope no one finds out you suck just as bad, or worse.

So why am I giving five stars to a collection of stories about people who mostly suck? Because John Cheever DOESN'T suck. He absurdifies common emot
Jeffrey Keeten
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading this book for 18 months. This isn't the kind of book you just grab and set down and read from cover to cover just like I wouldn't think most people would grab the collected works of Shakespeare and read it one brilliant play after brilliant play. I have enjoyed having Cheever by my bedside always available when I needed a break from my other reading endeavors. Cheever is one of those writers that equally encourages me to write and at the same time convinces me that I have no ...more
Camille Stein
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Cheever

The demons that drove John Cheever (Rachel Cooke) | Books | The Observer - http://ow.ly/vIeYv

¿Por qué la vida es para algunos un exquisito privilegio mientras que otros tienen que pagar por asistir al teatro del mundo un precio de cólera, pesadillas e infecciones?

No debemos querer otras cosas aparte de nuestra ocasional comprensión de la muerte y el volcánico amor que nos impulsa a unirnos los unos con los otros.

A menudo mi mujer está triste porque su tristeza no es suficientemente intensa; se
Cosimo
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La radio fantasma

Leggere questi racconti comporta entrare in contatto con l'inevitabile consapevolezza del mistero della letteratura. Si cerca qualcosa mentre in realtà l'ultima cosa che si desidera è il raggiungerla. Per questo Cheever fa parlare attraverso le pagine i suoi fantasmi, cosciente di metterli in ascolto delle ombre del lettore, come attraverso una radio doppiamente spettrale. Niente suona così familiare come le lievi e allegre apocalissi dei suoi personaggi, i loro pentimenti vital
zumurruddu
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I racconti di Cheever (molti suoi racconti) sono piccoli quadri pressoché perfetti di vita borghese e quotidiana. All'inizio, guardando il quadro, si nota a volte la luce radiosa, la serenità, la mollezza, la piacevolezza del vivere - ma osservando meglio si nota un'incrinatura, un qualcosa di inquietante, che ci opprime, non sappiamo bene cosa, ma decisamente rompe la serenità, e d'un tratto ci accorgiamo che getta una luce completamente diversa sull'immagine: crepuscolare, malinconica, a volte ...more
Alison
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We read Cheever not because we love stories about the suburbs, but because Cheever shows us that a wild imagination can’t be bound even by the suburbs. We enjoy the quality of observation, the dialogue, the air-tight construction (and what he teaches us about form both in every example and over the course of the collection), but we read him for those moments when his stories take wing to escape cliche, banality, and the mundane.

A few more thoughts on Cheever:
Annelies
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading the short stories now for a long time. I'm not finished yet but sometime I will because they are so good. The stories are placed in New England or New York. There doesn't happen much in the stories on first sight ( I mean not a lot of action) but they are focused on the relations between people. Characterisation, conversation, exploring the relation between people... that's what it's all about. And Cheever is a master in it.
What are your top seven John Cheever stories? 3 16 Jan 07, 2018 01:49AM
What did you get out of "The Common Day"? 3 16 Sep 16, 2017 08:26AM
The greatest American short story writer of the 20th century? 34 533 Feb 17, 2017 02:46AM
What should I read first? 1 6 Apr 06, 2016 02:19AM
Tackling the Puli...: The Stories of John Cheever (John Cheever, 1979) 43 35 Nov 01, 2013 02:14PM
can someone please help.. with a title or author?! 2 42 Aug 16, 2012 08:32PM
  • Years of Grace
  • A Fable
  • The Late George Apley
  • The Collected Stories
John Cheever was an American novelist and short story writer, sometimes called "the Chekhov of the suburbs" or "the Ovid of Ossining." His fiction is mostly set in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, the suburbs of Westchester, New York, and old New England villages based on various South Shore towns around Quincy, Massachusetts, where he was born.

His main themes include the duality of human nature:
More about John Cheever...
“I was here on earth because I chose to be.” 23 likes
“She cried for herself, she cried because she was afraid that she herself might die in the night, because she was alone in the world, because her desperate and empty life was not an overture but an ending, and through it all she could see was the rough, brutal shape of a coffin.” 21 likes