Start by marking “Six Weeks in Saratoga: How Three-Year-Old Filly Rachel Alexandra Beat the Boys and Became Horse of the Year” as Want to Read:

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  24 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
When Rachel Alexandra thundered to a stylish win against the boys in the 2009 Preakness Stakes, her connections came to the 141st Saratoga Race Course meeting wanting more than just another victory. They wanted Horse of the Year.

Her jockey, Calvin Borel, pointed triumphantly to the three-year-old filly beneath him. Rachel Alexandra was the best horse he had ever ridden and
Published July 1st 2011 by State University of New York Press (first published June 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Six Weeks in Saratoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six Weeks in Saratoga

Brendan O'Meara
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Clearly the best book I ever wrote when I was 29 years old.

All joking aside, I had to re-read this for typos for the paperback coming out in 2015 (of which there were an embarrassing number) and it's not a bad first effort. It's rough in spots. There are "writer" things that drive me nuts about it. Nouns as appositives, too many similes, but when you boil off that mess, this is a cool story of a pretty special meet.

I hope friends of mine and potential fans give it a read. I'm only going to get
Ms.pegasus
Feb 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: serious fans of horse racing
Recommended to Ms.pegasus by: U. of Massachusetts press release
Shelves: nonfiction, horses
Despite its title, SIX WEEKS IN SARATOGA is really about the many people privileged to accompany Rachel Alexandra through the portals of history. Calvin Borel passed up his normal summer vacation to stay close to Rachel Alexandra, riding her to victory in the 2009 Mother Goose at Belmont, and on August 2 at the Haskell Invitational at Monmouth. At Saratoga he was able to keep close to her – the tradeoff for his “outsider” standing and astonishingly small number of riding assignments for a jockey ...more
Lisa Deckert
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was thrilled to receive Six Weeks in Saratoga: How Three-Year-Old Filly Rachel Alexandra Beat the Boys and Became Horse of the Year by winning a drawing from a Goodreads Promotion. The book takes us backstage at Saratoga Race Track. It can be divided into three parts.

First is the background. In the first section, Pre-Meet, we learn about each major player, from the New York Racing Association (NYRA) team that runs the Saratoga track to the trainers of many of the biggest horses, to owners and
Gerri Leen
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Seriously? I should have known this was not going to go well when the cover didn't even show Rachel's face. It reads as a novel. But it's non fiction. It's out of order to the point where I'm not sure a Rachel fan who's not also a hardcore racing fan could follow it. The description of, well, everything was over the top. I abandoned it very early on. Rachel is possibly my favorite horse of all time and I seriously follow horse racing so that's saying something. I was predisposed to like this, bu ...more
Migreen
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fascinating if you're into the subject. Organization is a little dis-jointed, but this wasn't a problem for me.
Whitney Rosa
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really good if you like horse racing and Saratoga. His descriptions described Saratoga perfectly.
Mike Strianese
Marge
May 03, 2012
Rhonda Mason
May 03, 2012
Brendan O'Meara is an award-winning sports writer, but doesn't just write in the sports genre. So long as it's narrative nonfiction, you can bet he's digging away at it.

He is the author of "Six Weeks in Saratoga: How Three-Year-Old Filly Rachel Alexandra Beat the Boys and Became Horse of the Year," which was a semifinalist for the Dr. Tony Ryan Book Award.

His writing has appeared in Bleacher Repor
More about Brendan O'Meara...