Start by marking “The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar, #10)

The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar #10)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  399 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
For Sir Baldwin Furnshill, Keeper of the King's Peace, and Bailiff Simon Puttock, the Christmas of 1321 promises to be one of great festivity. They are to receive the prestigious Gloves of Honor in a ceremony led by the specially elected Boy-Bishop of Exeter. But they soon learn that Ralph, the glovemaker, has been stabbed to death. Then Peter, a Secondary at the cathedral ...more
Published June 1st 2001 by Headline Book Publishing (first published December 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker

Michael Jecks
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own
I'd had a hankering for a long time to write about a medieval Christmas, and this was the result. My longest title!
It was a period of madness and mayhem. Christmas heralded a topsy-turvey period during which the Lord of Misrule came to power. The youngest, least experienced choirboy became Bishop for the day, while the Bishop (very sensibly) tended to make sure he was away from the city.
Which is why when a noted local philanthropist was murdered and a youth poisoned in the Cathedral Close, the
Tracey Norman
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic and immersive trip through time, to Exeter on this occasion. Having grown up in Exeter, I really enjoyed trying to picture all the places in my head as I was reading this cracking story. Mr Jecks's research is superb - the complicated inner workings of the Cathedral community were brought to life wonderfully. I was very grateful indeed for the incredibly helpful notes at the beginning of the book which described the different functions of the various roles within the Cathedral ...more
First Sentence: The first of the murders which so shook the Cathedral passed with little comment.

Sir Baldwin Furnshill, Keeper of the King’s Peace, and his wife Jeannie, travel to Exeter, meeting up with their friend Bailiff Simon Puttock. The two men have been summoned to receive jeweled gloves in recognition of their service.

They arrive to find Ralph, the glove maker, has been murdered and his apprentice is in jail. Neither Furnshill nor Simon believes he’s guilty. When a Secondary at the cat
Simon Mcleish
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Originally published on my blog here in January 2002.

I found this novel from Jecks' Simon Puttock series more difficult to get into than most of them; it doesn't seem to flow quite so easily. The setting is rather different, being the city of Exeter rather than the wilds of medieval Dartmoor, and this may have something to do with it.

The novel is a Christmas mystery, revolving around one of the quainter customs of the time. In what may well have been a descendant of the Roman Saturnalia festival
Jim Corbiere
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished reading " The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker ". Another novel in the Knights Templar series. Another great mystery to solve by paying close attention to stories from the suspects and making sense of the evidence without technology.

Christmas time in 1321 and Baldwin and Simon have been summoned to Exeter for a ceremony and to be honored. One the way in they see a criminal hanged outside the city. They wonder about. Of course they can't have a simple and easy trip anywhere. The glovemaker of the
Linda Murray
Jan 29, 2012 rated it liked it
'The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker'is an early book in a long series by Michael Jecks,and is very different to those later in the series. Set in Exeter,in the reign of Edward II,the novel deals with Christmas festivities,when a Boy-Bishop is elected to preside over festivites for a day. As is to be expected in a Jecks novel,a series of murders takes place,and of course they are solved by sir Baldwin and Baliff Puttock.
I feel the resolution of the crimes seems bizarre,and as in the other books of the s
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Medieval Christmas in Exeter, a topsy-turvy time when a choir boy becomes Bishop for a day on St Stephen's Day. This Knights Templar mystery series is well researched, engaging and vibrant. Jewel-encrusted gloves are to be awarded to Sir Baldwin Furnshill as part of the festivities but shortly before he arrives the glove maker is found murdered in his shop and then a teenage Secondary succumbs to poison at a service in the cathedral. Now Sir Baldwin and Bailiff Simon Puttock again turn sleuth an ...more
John Mutchek
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I always enjoy Michael Jeck's medieval mysteries, but this one was perhaps a bit confusing because of all the medieval church hierarchy that I was not familiar with. Mr. Jeck does include a good explanation in the forward. I just had a little trouble keeping it all in mind as the story progressed. Still a very enjoyable read though/
David Serxner
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I get Michael Jeck's books sent to me from by my family in England, as I do not know if you can get them in the States. He does his research. The books are excellent--very well written. I like a good mystery, and these most certainly are!
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
The best Michael Jecks book that I've read so far; fascinating to read about the way the church was run (and the power!); doubly interesting in that I know Exeter & could visualise some of the streets - even some of the buildings.
Fredrick Danysh
Aug 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Sir Baldwin Furnshill is in Exeter for Christmas with his new wife to receive a pair of honor gloves when he is requested by both the Church and the local coroner to solve crimes and murders both with in the realm of the Church and the civil community. This is a nice mystery full of surprises.
May 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
The series continues to be strongly written, good characterizations, inventive plotting and good historic notes for clarity.
Rebecca Graf
Apr 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very good read. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Wonderful Christmas gift.
Marts  (Thinker)
Jul 19, 2011 marked it as shelved
Michael Jecks' historical mystery series 'Knights Templar'. This volume: Knights Templar #10 - The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker.
Jun 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: a-z
I hated this book and really struggled to make it to the end. Lack of plot, too many characters with similar names. Just not a good book.
Sep 23, 2008 rated it liked it
another good book by michael jecks. It is through reading series of books set in another place or time that you really learn something new.
Kathy Moberg
May 16, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who has read the previous books in the series
Not quite up to par with the rest of the series with a bit too much going on. Nonetheless, a good-enough mystery if you are reading the series.
Linda Humberstone
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: just-read
Another good book from this author, lots of characters, numerous little plots that all add up in the end. A good relaxing read.
Deborah Pickstone
MJ has really got into his stride with this one - much better than all the previous stories in this series; I hope the next 20-odd are as good!

FOUR stars this time! :)
May 01, 2011 rated it liked it
An enjoyable page-turner. It made for an interesting read, though I did find the ending rather confusing and contrived. I shall try reading some of the other books in this series.
Julie Fukuda
Jun 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Somehow this book took a long time to get through. I may need something a bit more gripping that I don't keep falling asleep on.
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: medieval
I found this one kind of different, interesting...
Apr 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
book 10
Feb 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I found this in a Waterstone's bag at the back of a cupboard. Although I haven't read this kind of thing for a while I enjoyed it and best of all it had only cost 99p in Waterstone's clearance sale!
Oct 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Kept reading long after I was lost as to who was related to whom, etc. because I loved living in the middle ages.
Jenny Pauley
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another interesting historical read. The influence of the Church at the time is really amazing.
Richard Shaw
Sep 26, 2015
Jan 23, 2012
Feb 16, 2014
Jan 26, 2016
  • The Tavern in the Morning (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #3)
  • The Sanctuary Seeker (Crowner John Mystery #1)
  • The Cross-Legged Knight (Owen Archer, #8)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew, #4)
  • The Anger of God (Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #4)
Michael Jecks is a best-selling writer of historical novels. The son of an Actuary, and the youngest of four brothers, he worked in the computer industry before becoming a novelist full time in 1994

He is the author of the internationally popular Templar series, perhaps the longest crime series written by a living author. Unusually, the series looks again at actual events and murders committed abou
More about Michael Jecks...

Knights Templar (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1)
  • The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2)
  • A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3)
  • The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)
  • The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)
  • The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)
  • Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar, #7)
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar, #9)
  • The Tournament of Blood (Knights Templar, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Secrets of Southern Girls: A Novel
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Dorchester Terrace (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #27)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Flower Net (Red Princess, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Grave Tender
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
  • Before I Go to Sleep