Jump to ratings and reviews

Bryson City

Bryson City Secrets: Even More Tales of a Small-Town Doctor in the Smoky Mountains

More enchanting tales of the people and events that shaped a young doctor's life and faith during his early practice in the Smoky Mountains.

There are places in Bryson City where the smell of home cooking is a little too tempting for an empty stomach. Don't, for instance, pass the Fryemont Inn when the windows are open--not unless you plan to come inside and enjoy fresh-baked rolls, gourmet cooking, and an owner who is as warm and inviting as the food. She's just one of the friendly faces you'll meet in Bryson City Secrets.

Told with winsome humor and deep affection, Bryson City Secrets is a story-lover's delight, continuing Dr. Walt Larimore's reminiscences of his early years of country medical practice. Pull up a chair and feast on this rich fare of Smoky Mountain personalities, highland wisdom, and all the tears, laughter, tenderness, faith, courage, and misadventures of small-town life.

288 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 2005

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Walt Larimore

55 books112 followers
Dr. Larimore is one of America’s best-known family physicians and is listed in the Best Doctors in America, Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare, and the International Health Professionals of the Year. His MD degree is from Louisiana State University, with AOA Honors, while his Family Medicine residency, with an emphasis in Sports Medicine was at the Duke University Medical Center, where he was named one of the top twelve Family Medicine residents in the nation. He also completed a Queen’s Teaching Fellowship in Nottingham, England.

After his training, Dr. Larimore practiced 4 years in the Smoky Mountains before moving to Central Florida to practice for 16 years. From 1993-1994 he served as the President of the Florida Academy of Family Physicians. In 1996, he was named America’s Outstanding Family Medicine Educator by the American Academy of Family Physicians. In 2000, Dr. and Mrs. Larimore were named Educators of the Year by the Christian Medical Association.

The Larimores relocated to Colorado Springs in 2001. Besides practicing family medicine, Dr. Larimore is also an author, educator, and medical journalist. He serves on the adjunct family medicine faculty of the In His Image Family Medicine Residency in Tulsa, Oklahoma and the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center in Denver.

As a medical journalist, from 1996 to 2001, Dr. Larimore hosted over 850 episodes of the daily, live Ask the Family Doctor show on Fox’s Health Network, being awarded the prestigious "Gracie" Award by the American Women in Radio and Television. From 2002 to 2004, Dr. Larimore hosted the Focus on Your Family’s Health’s syndicated radio and TV features.

Dr. Larimore is a frequent guest about family health topics on a wide variety of television and radio programs and has appeared on The Today Show, CBS’s Morning Show, several Fox News programs, and CNN’s Anderson Cooper 360. He provides medical commentary for radio stations in Chicago, Orlando, Baltimore, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Tampa, Albuquerque, and Ft. Wayne.

Dr. Larimore has written or edited over twenty books and over 600 articles in a variety of medical journals and lay magazines. His best-selling books include Bryson City Tales, Bryson City Seasons, and Alternative Medicine: The Christian Handbook.

Dr. Larimore co-wrote, with Barb, his childhood sweetheart and wife of over 35 years, His Brain, Her Brain: How divinely designed differences can strengthen your marriage. He also wrote the health chapter for Coach Joe Gibb’s best-selling book Game Plan for Life.

Dr. Larimore’s most recent health book is 10 Essentials of Happy, Healthy People, an undated and revised version of his award winning book 10 Essentials of Highly Healthy People. In 2009 he co-wrote his first novel, Time Scene Investigators: The Gabon Virus, with Paul McCusker. The sequel, Time Scene Investigators: The Influenza Bomb will be released in 2010.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 24 of 24 reviews
1,078 reviews
June 29, 2019
Great stories of a Doctor's work and home life in a small town in the Mountains of NC. I love to visit Bryson City. Enjoyed.
Profile Image for Sharon.
197 reviews2 followers
August 17, 2016
Book #3 in the Bryson City series is even BETTER than the first two and I thought they were great! Thoroughly have enjoyed this series and wish there was a book 4 to continue their family journey. I don't want to give anything away, loved the chapter with the young patient towards the end of the book.
Profile Image for Bonnie.
267 reviews
July 29, 2012
This final in a trilogy is well written, sad, interesting and inspiring. I am happy to have read all three in this series. I am touched by his stories and would love to hear him speak in person.
50 reviews1 follower
November 28, 2020
The last of Walt Larimore's tales of Bryson City left me wanting more! Again, I found myself laughing through some pages and crying through others. This third book is filled with emotion with patient stories as well as personal family stories. I felt that this book is raw insight into the life of this small mountain town doctor as he shares his experiences with patient cases, family issues, and community relationships. His storytelling is like a breath of fresh air as he shares his gifts of patient trust and his gift of facilitating healing in both the health (physical) and spiritual realms. I encourage anyone who wants a refreshing read to travel with Dr. Larimore as he takes you through the very soul and heart of Bryson City and its people.
Profile Image for Kyrie.
3,016 reviews
May 27, 2018
I wish I had stopped with the first two books, or stopped before reading the last few chapters of this one.

Part of the appeal of these books was the basically gentle nature of small town life. Yes, there were those who didn't like the new doctors, but it seemed most of the town was open to changes, and welcoming. This one reveals a really ugly underbelly, and I just wish I hadn't read it.
68 reviews
January 15, 2020
I enjoyed hearing of Dr. Walt's life in NC and the medical encounters he had. As a person in medicine, I learned some things, laughed, and cried as we went through the years covered in the 3 books. Highly recommended even for non-medical people as he explains things in terms everyone can understand.
Profile Image for Janet Cline.
1,145 reviews
May 29, 2017
I read this going and coming from decorating graves in Martin County KY today.
This is the third in a series and it is a wonderful series. If you like the Smokey Mountains (or any mountains), love the Lord, or are interested in a medical field, you will love this series.
I highly recommend it.
936 reviews4 followers
July 4, 2017
All these books are great, but this one is exceptional. I wish all med. students and family practitioners could read it. So full of wisdom and wit, as well as advice worth heeding. Really one of the best books I've read in quite a while. GET IT!!
Profile Image for Mikki.
333 reviews
July 30, 2018
In this last book of the series Dr Larimore doesn't shy away from the more difficult and unsavory elements of human behavior and how these affected him and his family. A sad yet inevitable part of the life experiences many have to deal with in the real world of imperfect humanity.
Profile Image for Amy McPherson.
160 reviews1 follower
September 20, 2017
Still good, but seemed more cathartic and therapeutic for the doctor's family. Sad personal experiences shared and changed the family's lives.
Profile Image for Linda Davis.
35 reviews1 follower
October 30, 2018
No wonder Dr Larimore has received so many accolades for his caring practice of medicine! Great read! Great live lessons!
Profile Image for Rick.
855 reviews18 followers
January 15, 2023
More delightful tales. A few bog down in medical jargon, but others elicited tears and chuckles. Plus, a new element of intense vulnerability adds so much.
Profile Image for Mary Standard.
163 reviews19 followers
March 13, 2017
I enjoyed this book almost as much as I have his two previous books. He has a very easy to read writing style and makes the stories seem real and as if you are right there with him. These books remind me of the great James Herriot Books. Although this book has a troubling story in the background throughout it, on the whole I thought it was a great book.
Profile Image for Karol.
628 reviews29 followers
February 3, 2009
This was an intensely personal book, revealing the doctor's thoughts on many weighty spiritual issues as patients under his care passed away. In it, he also reveals a private and devastating incident in the Larimore's family life in hopes that others may be helped.

The only thing I did not like about the book was the introduction of the concept that something devastating had happened at the beginning - it overshadowed everything else the book had to say up until the time the secret was revealed, which didn't occur until the end. I found myself reading with a sense of dread, and not really absorbing other points the doctor made until going back and re-reading a couple of the chapters.

Still, I was amazed at the stories the doctor told of some of his patients, and he gave me a great deal to think about. I've read the whole series now, and I find it interesting that there is a progression from a more light-hearted account in the first book, to a greater emphasis on how the spirit and emotions impact physical healing in the second, to the intensely spiritual content of the third. In this third book, I cried more times than I can count but I also felt immeasurably blessed.
Profile Image for Lady Jane.
180 reviews15 followers
May 10, 2015
I didn't enjoy this entry in the Bryson City series as much as the first two. It seemed as though the author approached the book with less delight and more of an agenda, tying off through death the personal stories of characters I'd come to like and division on some level with others. The bread around this sandwich was his account of a heinous incident that became the catalyst for his family's move from Bryson City. You might say that the first two books were a sanitized, light hearted look at Bryson City and the third was invaded by real life. Nonetheless, I'm glad I read it and I did enjoy this series very much.
Profile Image for Kimberly.
796 reviews91 followers
July 19, 2008
This is the third book by Dr. Walt Larimore. He describes more tales of his time spent in the Smoky Mountains as a family practitioner. Many of the stories make you giggle as you try to imagine the situations he was put in. While the other stories make you shed a few tears and reflect on your own faith. He has many life lessons to share in this book as well as the true reason why he moved his family from the area!
Profile Image for Julie.
969 reviews9 followers
February 6, 2010
This was definitely my least favorite of Dr. Larimore's trilogy about his time doctoring in the Smokey Mountains. Obviously his intent was put before the readers a very personal story that he felt was very important to tell but the rest of the book faltered and became frankly, quite dull as a result.
709 reviews
November 20, 2016
This memoir covers early years in Walt Larimore's career as a physician, his young family and several of his patients. The third in a trilogy I've only read this one. The stories are enjoyable, I especially liked a very poignant one about three patients lost and the birth of triplets. There is a strong Christian message woven throughout these stories.
Profile Image for Elaine.
2,258 reviews2 followers
November 23, 2008
(book, true accounts)
b. another book (the third in the series) of excellent true accounts of Dr. Larimore’s practice and time in Bryson City, located in the Smoky Mountains in North Carolina. – 5 STARS

Profile Image for NancyInWI.
390 reviews3 followers
March 24, 2016
Not as good as the first two books in the series, but the stories here were more heartfelt. Definitely faith-inspiring and made me feel good when I finished.
Profile Image for Bonnie.
35 reviews2 followers
Read
April 11, 2013
A personal story of a Doctors experience working in the smoky mountains. Starts off very well and ends well but a Doctors life is not always exciting so at times my mind was not entertained.
Displaying 1 - 24 of 24 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.