Start by marking “Bryson City Secrets: Even More Tales of a Small-Town Doctor in the Smoky Mountains” as Want to Read:

(Bryson City)

More enchanting tales of the people and events that shaped a young doctor’s life and faith during his early practice in the Smoky Mountains … There are places in Bryson City where the smell of home cooking is a little too tempting for an empty stomach. Don’t, for instance, pass the Fryemont Inn when the windows are open—not unless you plan to come inside and enjoy fresh-ba ...more
Published December 24th 2006 by Zondervan (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Bryson City Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bryson City Secrets

Start your review of Bryson City Secrets: Even More Tales of a Small-Town Doctor in the Smoky Mountains
Vanessa
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
Great stories of a Doctor's work and home life in a small town in the Mountains of NC. I love to visit Bryson City. Enjoyed.
Sharon
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Book #3 in the Bryson City series is even BETTER than the first two and I thought they were great! Thoroughly have enjoyed this series and wish there was a book 4 to continue their family journey. I don't want to give anything away, loved the chapter with the young patient towards the end of the book.
Bonnie
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
This final in a trilogy is well written, sad, interesting and inspiring. I am happy to have read all three in this series. I am touched by his stories and would love to hear him speak in person.
Kyrie
May 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography
I wish I had stopped with the first two books, or stopped before reading the last few chapters of this one.

Part of the appeal of these books was the basically gentle nature of small town life. Yes, there were those who didn't like the new doctors, but it seemed most of the town was open to changes, and welcoming. This one reveals a really ugly underbelly, and I just wish I hadn't read it.
Jennifer Allen
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed hearing of Dr. Walt's life in NC and the medical encounters he had. As a person in medicine, I learned some things, laughed, and cried as we went through the years covered in the 3 books. Highly recommended even for non-medical people as he explains things in terms everyone can understand.
Mikki Fisher
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this last book of the series Dr Larimore doesn't shy away from the more difficult and unsavory elements of human behavior and how these affected him and his family. A sad yet inevitable part of the life experiences many have to deal with in the real world of imperfect humanity.
Janet Cline
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this going and coming from decorating graves in Martin County KY today.
This is the third in a series and it is a wonderful series. If you like the Smokey Mountains (or any mountains), love the Lord, or are interested in a medical field, you will love this series.
I highly recommend it.
Kw
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
All these books are great, but this one is exceptional. I wish all med. students and family practitioners could read it. So full of wisdom and wit, as well as advice worth heeding. Really one of the best books I've read in quite a while. GET IT!!
Linda Davis
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No wonder Dr Larimore has received so many accolades for his caring practice of medicine! Great read! Great live lessons!
Mindy
May 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
3-1/2*
Amy McPherson
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Still good, but seemed more cathartic and therapeutic for the doctor's family. Sad personal experiences shared and changed the family's lives.
Mary Goutermont
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book almost as much as I have his two previous books. He has a very easy to read writing style and makes the stories seem real and as if you are right there with him. These books remind me of the great James Herriot Books. Although this book has a troubling story in the background throughout it, on the whole I thought it was a great book.
Karol
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was an intensely personal book, revealing the doctor's thoughts on many weighty spiritual issues as patients under his care passed away. In it, he also reveals a private and devastating incident in the Larimore's family life in hopes that others may be helped.

The only thing I did not like about the book was the introduction of the concept that something devastating had happened at the beginning - it overshadowed everything else the book had to say up until the time the secret was revealed,
Lady Jane
I didn't enjoy this entry in the Bryson City series as much as the first two. It seemed as though the author approached the book with less delight and more of an agenda, tying off through death the personal stories of characters I'd come to like and division on some level with others. The bread around this sandwich was his account of a heinous incident that became the catalyst for his family's move from Bryson City. You might say that the first two books were a sanitized, light hearted look at B ...more
Kimberly
Jul 15, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
This is the third book by Dr. Walt Larimore. He describes more tales of his time spent in the Smoky Mountains as a family practitioner. Many of the stories make you giggle as you try to imagine the situations he was put in. While the other stories make you shed a few tears and reflect on your own faith. He has many life lessons to share in this book as well as the true reason why he moved his family from the area!
Cheryl
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it
This memoir covers early years in Walt Larimore's career as a physician, his young family and several of his patients. The third in a trilogy I've only read this one. The stories are enjoyable, I especially liked a very poignant one about three patients lost and the birth of triplets. There is a strong Christian message woven throughout these stories.
Julie
Feb 06, 2010 rated it did not like it
This was definitely my least favorite of Dr. Larimore's trilogy about his time doctoring in the Smokey Mountains. Obviously his intent was put before the readers a very personal story that he felt was very important to tell but the rest of the book faltered and became frankly, quite dull as a result.
Elaine
Nov 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
(book, true accounts)
b. another book (the third in the series) of excellent true accounts of Dr. Larimore’s practice and time in Bryson City, located in the Smoky Mountains in North Carolina. – 5 STARS

Bonnie
Aug 25, 2012 added it
A personal story of a Doctors experience working in the smoky mountains. Starts off very well and ends well but a Doctors life is not always exciting so at times my mind was not entertained.
NancyInWI
Jan 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Not as good as the first two books in the series, but the stories here were more heartfelt. Definitely faith-inspiring and made me feel good when I finished.
Loraine
Mar 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Walt Larimore continues to delight his readers with tales from his practice in the Great Smokey Mountains.
Elizabeth A
Jun 05, 2009
Cynthia Matteson
May 23, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Bryson City Secrets 1 2 Jul 29, 2012 06:55AM

• Sins of the Fathers (J.P. Beaumont #24)
  • Wedding Cake
  • The Reluctant Farmer of Whimsey Hill
  • Credible Threat (Ali Reynolds, #15)
  • Fresh Eggs and Dog Beds
  • Plain Refuge (Amish Country Justice #8)
  • The Inheritance
  • Fresh Eggs and Dog Beds 2: Still Living the Dream in Rural Ireland
  • The A List (Ali Reynolds, #14)
  • A Season of Angels (Angels Everywhere, #1)
  • Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin
  • 26 Fairmount Avenue (26 Fairmount Avenue, #1)
  • Curse Proof
  • Fire on the Mountain
  • Ten Stupid Things Women Do to Mess Up Their Lives
  • Walking with Ellen White: The Human Interest Story
  • Her Amish Suitor's Secret (Amish of Serenity Ridge #3)
  • Crooked River (Pendergast, #19)
Dr. Larimore is one of America’s best-known family physicians and is listed in the Best Doctors in America, Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare, and the International Health Professionals of the Year. His MD degree is from Louisiana State University, with AOA Honors, while his Family Medicine residency, with an emphasis in Sports Medicine was at the Duke University Medical Center, where he was na ...more

Bryson City (4 books)
  • Bryson City Tales: Stories of a Doctor's First Year of Practice in the Smoky Mountains
  • Bryson City Seasons: More Tales of a Doctor’s Practice in the Smoky Mountains
  • Best of Bryson City: Stories of a Doctor's First Years of Practice in the Smoky Mountains