Start by marking “How to Talk Minnesotan: A Visitor's Guide” as Want to Read:
How to Talk Minnesotan: A Visitor's Guide

How to Talk Minnesotan: A Visitor's Guide

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  279 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Based in part on material written for A Prairie Home Companion, How to Talk Minnesotan will help visitors to Minnesota keep from sticking out like sore thumbs when they don't know the difference between not too bad a deal and a heckuva deal. Illustrated with line drawings.
Hardcover
Published August 4th 1987 by Turtleback Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Talk Minnesotan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Talk Minnesotan

Janene
Oct 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I've noticed about this book..and it's reviews...are that the people who aren't rating it very high...and saying it's 'really not that funny'...likely aren't from Minnesota and not presently living in Minnesota.

That being said, I read this book and pretty much laughed my ass off through the whole thing. I am Minnesota born and raised. This book is the truth! If you are from Minnesota and are willing to laugh at yourself & your neighbors...this is the book for you! OMG..ROFL!

Whatever.
Joanne
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chris
Shelves: non-fiction
This isn't the sort of book to read straight through, but to dip into, and in parts it is laugh-out-loud funny. Like the chapter on emotional outbursts (there aren't any) and on using negatives to express positive feelings, like saying, "Not too bad," or "It could be worse" when someone asks how you are. This stoic style also applies to doctors and hospitals ("We pretend we aren't sick until our symptoms are unmistakable...anybody could diagnose us by the time most of us make an appointment. On ...more
Colette
Jun 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, midwest
I would give it to my parents, but I think they wouldn't get the joke. That's how close to home this hit.

Better yet is identifying those who speak Minnesotan around you. Just the other day I heard someone describe a man: "He's an optimist. That's all right, I guess." CLASSIC MINNESOTAN.

But for that person who just doesn't know how to refuse food three times before accepting it, or that good-byes actually last a half hour, this is a great resource into the minds of Midwesterners.
Martha
Nov 12, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My friends gave me this book right before I went off to college in Minnesota. I read the book and thought it was pretty funny, but quickly discovered how true a lot of is was once I was there. Which, of course, made it even funnier.
David
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
This was okay. Some of the jokes are good, but the laughs are fewer and further between than I'd hoped.
Hannah
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a friend gave me this-always cracks me up.
Richard
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My wife is from Minnesota, so I have spent a fair amount of time there. This was an enjoyable read. Lots of tips for our next visit. Reminded me of a long skit on "prairie home companion"
Liana
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A guy sure could spend a lotta days laughing at the contents of this book if he felt so inclined. You bet.
Vanessa
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this rather than read it, and I think it made it better. The accents and reading really made it real. I live in MN and caught myself numerous times thinking, "Oh, we do do that!"
Franco Pitacco
when I first read this book, it was an earlier edition and I was living in Minnesota.
I would have rated it 5*'
It was 30/35 years ago. Now I do not deam it worth that much.
  • The World of the Celts
  • Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans?
  • The Heart Can Be Filled Anywhere on Earth
  • I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, & Doggone It, People Like Me!
  • More Ghosts of Gettysburg: Spirits, Apparitions and Haunted Places of the Battlefield
  • Deep Thoughts: Inspiration for the Uninspired
  • Fire in the Head: Shamanism and the Celtic Spirit
  • Homegrown Democrat: A Few Plain Thoughts from the Heart of America
  • Jim Henson's The Storyteller
  • Daily Reflections For Highly Effective People : Living The 7 Habits Of Highly Successful People Every Day
  • Cautionary Tales
  • Abercrombie Trail
  • Physics, Volume 1
  • A Great Game: The Forgotten Leafs & The Rise of Professional Hockey
  • Discovering the Rommel Murder
  • Conscience and Courage: Rescuers of Jews During the Holocaust
  • Lych Way (The Undertaken, #3)
  • A Child's History of England
Howard Mohr was a writer and performer for several years on the radio program A Prairie Home Companion. He has since created two long-running musicals based on How to Talk Minnesotan. Twin Cities Public Television filmed a popular award-winning version of Howard’s book in 1991. He lives with his wife in Cottonwood, Minnesota.
More about Howard Mohr...
“Two- to four-finger waves are commonly used between fast-moving vehicles, but the nicely executed single-finger wave is a thing of beauty and a joy forever. To me, it perfectly sums up the Minnesota character that I love so much. The finger wave from the steering wheel: when you get it right, you'll know you've arrived and you don't ever have to leave again if you don't want to.” 4 likes