Start by marking “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again” as Want to Read:
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again

(Chitty Chitty Bang Bang #2)

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang 1: Flies Again The first ever sequel to Ian Fleming's Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, written by bestselling author Frank Cottrell Boyce and endorsed by the Fleming family. Full description
Published October 7th 2011 by MacMillan Children's Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again

Matt
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matt by: BAM The Bibliomaniac
Having begun this series with the Ian Fleming classic, I thought it a good idea to continue on, under the guidance of Frank Cottrell Boyce. Moving the story into the present day, the young reader is introduced to the Tooting Family, with a mom and dad, as well as Lucy, Jeremy, and baby Harry. When Mr. Tooting announces that he has major news, he shares that he's been sacked from his job, which means the family is without a vehicle. Noting the crossroad in their lives, Mr. and Mrs. Tooting agree ...more
Eileen
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, classics, childrens
A second installment in the adventures of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but written by Frank Cottrell Boyce, many years after the original. It took me the longest time to figure out where Chitty was in all fo this, but I found it to be a fun adventure, especially with David Tennant at the helm. I enjoyed this one and look forward to the next installment! Unlike the first book, this one leaves you hanging!
Shannon
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun filled adventure full of surprises...a great sequel and launch to new adventures.
VaultOfBooks
Dec 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By Frank Cottrell Boyce. Grade A.
Everyone’s favorite flying car shifts into another dimension as the intrepid Tooting family zooms back and forth through time.
When the Tootings return to Zobrowski Terrace at the end of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again, they find that “home” is looking a lot like Jurassic Park. But this is no theme park — a very real and very hungry T- rex is charging them! Thanks to Dad’s inadvertent yanking of Chitty’s “Chronojuster” lever, the spirited car has ushered them
Adam
Rereading, April 2015, as a home read aloud.

I don't usually post reviews directly on Goodreads, but I won a copy of this book, so I'll post both here and on the TMCE Guys Read Blog:

Have you ever read a book and wished there was more to the story? Some characters and stories are so fun that we wish they could last forever, that we could keep having adventures with them. I think that’s what Frank Cottrell Boyce was thinking when he wrote this book.

The original Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was written b
Brenda
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1967 one of my favorite Christmas presents was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian Flemming. I loved the Potts. I loved the whistling sweets. I thought Joe the Monster and his gang were terribly wonderful crooks. And of course, I loved Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with "her first two CHITTY sneezes and the two soft BANGS, the bangs ran on and into each other so as to make a delicious purring rumble." I thought her amazing dashboard with knobs that glow and flash urgently as the need arose had just the ...more
Ms. Yingling

The Tooting family finds itself in a position that many families are experiencing these days-- the father has lost his job. Since he is clever and upbeat, he has decided this is an Opportunity and takes to unemployment with a flourish, but his family decides he needs a project. They get an old camper van which the mother thinks can't possibly be fixed, and tell the father that when it is fixed, they will travel around the world. Of course, he does fix it, so Jem, Lucy, little Harry and the paren
Luann
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was one in a stack of favorite books that I read over and over while growing up. And now I need to read it again! Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again brought back such fond memories! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Frank Cottrell Boyce did a wonderful job of staying true to the original yet adding some new and fresh elements of his own. Now I look forward to reading the other sequels: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the Race Against Time and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Over the Moon.

Thi
Faith Hough
I'm a big fan of the original Chitty and a big fan of Frank Cottrell Boyce, so I went into mild raptures when I saw this at my local bookstore a few days ago.
I read it in a few sittings, and it was just as good, if not better, than I expected. I can't wait to read the original and this new sequel aloud to my kids.
K. McDevitt
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little worried that the continuing modern day adventures of such a well-known, beloved, old car would not have the same magic for me as the original. But the author did an AMAZING job of bringing Chitty Chitty Bang Bang back to live with all-new adventures and a fantastic new family. The villains are super creepy. The twists and turns are funny and clever. And the adventures are grand. Most of all, Chitty is given a lot of love and respect and just shines in her new roles--even as a camp ...more
Catricia
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hoopla
I was prepared to hate this, since it's a modern sequel written by a completely different author, but I was pleasantly surprised. It has a lot of different hilarious moments in it, a mystery that slowly reveals itself (but isn't solved yet), and a family that may be typically modern but just this side of cliched. They are loveable and nuanced and "juicy", as audiobook reader David Tennant puts it. I would definitely be willing to read more.

The weirdest thing is that Chitty Chitty Bang Bang doesn
Heather
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
This is a sequel written by a different author, and so, it entirely lacks the quaint charm of the original. It’s a fun story, but a bit scarier (for a 5 yo) and the attitudes from Lucy are too much. With a more cheerful Lucy I would have given it 3 or possibly even 4 stars. The kids loved it and want to listen to the next one, but we are going to hold off for awhile.
Cherrie Deavers
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was only reading this book when I was on breaks. It is a very easy read. Don’t expect it to really follow Chitty Chitty Bang Bang though. This is with an entirely different family and doesn’t even mention the Potts family. There are some illustrations. A good chapter book for kids.
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-picks, n-s-books
Fabulous book! My vehicle-loving preschooler wouldn't let us turn off the audiobook.

Chitty Chitty takes a long time to make an appearance, but that's all right: the real strength of the book is the family dynamics. I love the whole family!
Heather
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
We thought this was a continuation of the first Chitty Chitty Bang Bang book but it is a different family and different car. We were disappointed at first but we kept reading. So glad. It was a great story! I had to translate some of the British words for my daughter but very enjoyable.
Jack O
Kids loved it
Maggie
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
At first even more strange than the first one, but story heats up towards the end.
Bob
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun light read. Its fun how everyone keeps Dad working on the car to keep him from "fixing" everything else in the house.
Lynne
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Such a let down given how enjoyable other Boyce works are.
Ludmila Marton
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
4.5 stars. Fantastic read.
Grace Phan
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2nd book, and the adventure hasn't ended yet. SUPERB!
Havilah
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My boys LOVE this series. We have read it over and over.
Vidya Tiru
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My take: I loved this book. I did not realize till I found this on NetGalley as a digital ARC that the first Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was written by Ian Fleming – his only children’s book. I have seen the movie (which, I have heard, is very different from the book) and now plan to read that book as well.

In this story, Chitty begins her life with the Tootings as just her engine. The Tootings are a charming, energetic, modern family – a mix of wonderful characters - cheerful and optimistic dad, ca
Becky
Super funny family goes on an adventure of a lifetime.
Iain Robertson
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pgce
This could be regarded as the sequel to Ian Fleming’s novel. This time however Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is a van made from old scraps of other vehicles, such as an engine found in a tree in a scrap yard and an awning that allows Chitty to fly, that somehow gives the van a magical edge. Put together by the Tooting family during the school summer holidays, they subsequently take-off (literally) on an adventure that includes flying across the Channel to France and having various adventures on the Ei ...more
Kerry
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit, I'm a little fuzzy in my memories of the original Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I vaguely recall seeing the movie, and I'm not even sure if I read the original story by Ian Fleming. But I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this modern day sequel to the original 1964 classic. All three Tootings children, Lucy, Jem, and Little Harry, as well as their parents, were well drawn out and entertaining. After Dad loses his job, he really needs an outlet to nurture his creative side (otherwise a ...more
Sarah Sammis
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before starting in on Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again by Frank Cottrell Boyce , read the introduction. Boyce explains why he wrote this sequel and why he wrote it the way he did. Boyce, like I think many people of our generation, saw the movie before reading the book, and was shocked by how little the movie resembled Ian Fleming's book. The only thing the book and the movie agreed on was the make of the car and the fact that it could fly of its own accord.

Boyce goes one further — deciding th
Becky
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never seen, watched or read the original Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, I've seen the odd tv clip and song played but not enough to really know what it is about. And to be honest I've never been that bothered to find out.
However, I got sent a Proof copy of this book from my librarian and I knew straight away that I would read it, purely because it is by Frank Cottrell Boyce - the man is a genius and I love his work so I couldn't resist.
This is aimed at the sort of 9+ age, and you can tell it's
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Letters to Leo
  • The Wednesdays
  • The High Skies Adventures of Blue Jay the Pirate
  • The Flint Heart
  • One Dog and His Boy
  • The Mighty Mars Rovers: The Incredible Adventures of Spirit and Opportunity
  • Deadweather and Sunrise (The Chronicles of Egg, #1)
  • Mr. and Mrs. Bunny—Detectives Extraordinaire! (The Bunny's #1)
  • Tua and the Elephant
  • 13 Hangmen
  • Horten's Incredible Illusions: Magic, Mystery & Another Very Strange Adventure (Horten's Miraculous Mechanisms #2)
  • Earwig and the Witch
  • The Adventures of Sir Balin the Ill-Fated (Knights' Tales, #4)
  • The Whites of Their Eyes (Benjamin Pratt & the Keepers of the School, #3)
  • Binny for Short (Binny, #1)
  • The Dunderheads
  • Fake Mustache
  • Nanny Piggins and the Wicked Plan (Nanny Piggins, #2)
Frank Cottrell Boyce is a British screenwriter, novelist and occasional actor.

In addition to original scripts, Cottrell Boyce has also adapted novels for the screen and written children's fiction, winning the 2004 Carnegie Medal for his debut, Millions, based on his own screenplay for the film of the same name.
His novel Framed was shortlisted for the Whitbread Book of the Year as well as the Carne

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (4 books)
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, #1)
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the Race Against Time (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, #3)
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Over the Moon (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, #4)
“Jem tugged the floral curtains open just above Mum's bed. She stretched and said, "Oh!" because there is something especially cosy about pulling open floral curtains in your camper van and finding the Mediterranean Sea shining hundreds of feet below you and seabirds twirling all around you. Especially if the kettle has just boiled.” 1 likes