Start by marking “The Dark Wife” as Want to Read:
The Dark Wife

Read eBook* *Different edition

The Dark Wife

Three thousand years ago, a god told a lie. Now, only a goddess can tell the truth. Persephone has everything a daughter of Zeus could want--except for freedom. She lives on the green earth with her mother, Demeter, growing up beneath the ever-watchful eyes of the gods and goddesses on Mount Olympus. But when Persephone meets the enigmatic Hades, she experiences something ...more
Published May 12th 2011 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published May 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Wife, please sign up.

Start your review of The Dark Wife
Riley
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lesbian Hades and Persephone retelling.
This was pretty much everything I've ever wanted
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Retelling of Persephone's story. Wonderment... So girl-on-girl!
Emotional exploration. Prophecied love. Gaea. Cerberus the cuddly! The dead rebellious. The PTSD heroes forever.
Definitely underrated. Best for lovers of all things of Ancient Greece.
Warning: male figures get thoroughly villainized and punished beyond measure here. Zeus, particularly. It's a bit overboard, really. All the satisfying relationships are sapphic (F-F), which is sort of refreshing and eye-roll-inducing, at the same time
Samantha
3.5 stars!

I enjoyed this one! It's one of the more accurate retellings when it comes to Hades and Persephone's personalities, though I still don't think this Persephone had quite the fire I like to see. I prefer my Persephone a bit more fearsome.

This book is also gayer than I thought it would be and it's awesome. Not only are the main characters gay, but most of the side characters as well. It's very female focused and I loved that.

The pacing was what dragged this down for me personally. The
Miranda
I’ll just say it right off the bat: I really loved this book. A large part of my love comes from the fact that there are very few YA books that represent me. Most YA books that have gay main characters usually deal with the coming out issue, or having the main characters dealing with their sexuality. It’s always an “issues” book. I’m not saying those books are bad--far from it, I think we need those books if they help gay teens--but we also need books where the sexuality of the main character is ...more
Whitney Atkinson
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.25 Stars

I wish this book were 500 pages long. I love the setting, the writing, the characters, the conflict-- everything was just pushed too closely together and I would have loved to see this more drawn out. Hades is SUCH an interesting and well-developed character, both personality-wise and in her appearance and mannerisms. But in contrast, Persephone just felt very... childish? I can't locate the exact word to use to describe her, but she was very quick to upset and her naivety was often ir
branewurms
I really wanted to like this, but I... didn't. I'm sorry! But I really didn't. For starters, it was so... gooshy. I feel like a twelve year old boy screaming "cooties" here, but jfc, there is a limit to how much of that oozing and gooshing and doe-eyeing at each other I can take. I mean, just to put this in perspective, I love romantic subplots! And I am a die-hard fandom shipper! BUT THIS WAS SO GOOSHY AUGH COOTIES.

And Persephone, really, we get that you love Hades; you only tell us this about
Vinaya
Photobucket

The best word I can think of to describe Sarah Diemer's debut novel The Dark Wife, is sweet. It is a very pretty revisionist retelling of the myth of Hades and Persephone, rich in atmosphere and romance.

The premise is promising. Persephone, the daughter of the ambitious Earth goddess Demeter, falls in love with a nymph named Charis. But her beloved is tragically taken away from her when she resists the lecherous advances of Zeus, who Persephone later discovers is her father. Filled with hatred
˗ˏˋ aphrodite ˊˎ˗
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
FINALLY A HADES X PERSEPHONE RETELLING I ACTUALLY LIKED AND CAN RECOMMEND TO YOU ALL

I cannot express how happy I am that this was not only beautifully written but it was SO INCREDIBLY GAY. the plot wasn’t that great but WHO CARES? ITS LESBIANS. GREEK LESBIANS. AND ITS SOFT. AND BEAUTIFUL. READ IT.
Lia (booksnpenguins)
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
"You go there every day. You speak with them, but they don't remember your visits. The don't listen. They don't change. So why... Why do you put yourself through this trauma, in vain?"
"I must." Hades regarded me evenly. "If I can provide peace for even one moment, one moment in an eternity of moments, my efforts, none of them, were in vain."

I don't think I'll ever be able to look at a pomegranate again without crying.

crisabel-touch-of-love.gif

What a wonderful, emotional and glorious story.
The word beautiful ap
Rachel
Mar 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I expected The Dark Wife to be a romantic lesbian Young Adult retelling of the Persephone and Hades myth, a sort of modernized, supernatural love story underground. That turned out to be only the surface layer of an empowering, emotional, spiritually rich journey of one young woman who, with uncommon courage and compassion, overcame the impossible in charting a destiny of her own making to become one of the most powerful and enduring Goddesses of all time.

Persephone reclaims her life from those
Elise (TheBookishActress)
3.5 stars. So... this is a sapphic retelling of the Hades/Persephone myth. It's not the best thing I've ever read, but it's definitely solid.

♔ Hades and Persephone are each likable, decent characters. Hades is a little flat and far less evil than you'd expect. Persephone isn't full of personality, but her character arc as she goes from a woman without much agency to a woman in full control of her own destiny makes up for her initial character. The ending of her character arc is especially power
Mia
Nov 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: queer, mythology
I was all over this concept, let me say straight off. Honestly it's the concept that kept this from being a two starred review. This book almost hits a lot of interesting points repeatedly, but it always tends to land shy of where it seems to be going. The notions of Greek Gods being human-like but also not kind of worked, but Zeus and Hades were so polarized in terms of evil and good respectively (and isn't that a twist compared to most modern tellings) that it was hard to really take either of ...more
love, tappkalina
Jun 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt-read, 3-4-star
3.5 ✰

“All you need to begin something is the courage enough to begin it.”

In this book Hades is the queen of the Underworld and the sweetest being ever and Zeus is the devil itself.
I'm an atheist, but if this Hades exists, I'm ready to glorify her. I just couldn't not.
Especially when she cares about everyone so deeply and says things like these:
Hades pressed her lips against my neck, kissed me. “And you, Persephone… You were foretold, too. I never wanted anything—” her mouth moved softly, ge
Book Worm
I just love when old myths are retold and the beliefs we have about the old Gods are questioned. Here we are asked to imagine a thoughtless and selfish Zeus and a kind, loving and gentle Hades, whose actually a Goddess. And I must say it makes much more sense. I'd rather imagine a gentle "Lord" of the Dead - for death is everlasting and unchangeable. Who would want to be ruled by someone cruel and cold forever?
What astonished me was the poetry hidden in this story, in the descriptions, in the sy
D
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this. I really did. But I couldn't. Not really.

It has its moments. I loved that scene in Hades where the dead were finally allowed to enter the Elysian Fields, only to find that it wasn't the paradise they thought it were, but just a different side of the coin of suffering. But at the same time, this pleasure is marred by the fact that well, I was wondering the whole time how much the author really knew about ancient Greek mythology so as to re-tell one of the most controversial
Anna lost in stories *A*
I found this book totally by accident and it sounded so interesting and fit perfectly into the mood I was in at the time, that I got it and read it basically in one sitting ;) I mean, come on… an FF retelling of Hades and Persephone story? how could I resist? ;) and I did really liked it :) I am giving it 4 stars, because even though there were a lot of things I loved in this book, there were also things that could have been done a bit better… let’s get into all of that a bit more :)

First of all
Natasha
SapphicAThon: Retelling

I don't know what it is about the author's writing but I just don't like it. I think I would've liked this more if I knew anything about the Hades and Persephone myth.
BadassCmd
This is a really lovely retelling.

I love myths and I love when the ladies of myths get a voice and perspective in modern adaptations.
And I have always had a special fondness for Persephone, so I'm really happy to see her and Lady Hades falling in love in a more healthy way than the original myth tells it.

As someone who's not a big fan of marriage plots: I'M SO HAPPY THEY ARE WIVES.

I love Hades, she's so gentle and good, I want to protect her too.
The characterisation of Persephone could have go
Jillian -always aspiring-
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who's been disappointed by recent Greek myth retellings for young adults
(Actual Rating: 3.5 stars)

Imagine that everything you knew about Greek mythology was skewed so that Zeus could better control mortals by spreading lies and untruths.  Imagine if Hades, ruler of the Underworld, was actually a goddess.  Imagine if Persephone, daughter of Demeter, actually chose to escape to the Underworld instead of being kidnapped.  The Dark Wife, debut novel from Sarah Diemer, is a tale that turns Greek myth inside out and makes it something darkly beautiful, a gem among the dul
emma
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
“You are so loved, Persephone. You will endure such sorrow, but you will transform the world.”

3.25 stars.

Mmmmm. Lots of mixed feelings here. The relationship between Hades and Persephone was sweet, but there wasn't much else to this. The writing was good sometimes, and not good sometimes? I feel like I would have enjoyed this if it was shorter. A lot of the story felt pretty isolated and directionless, because of the handful of subplots that kept fading in and out. Persephone mostly just sat
Sophia
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sff, ya-children-s, ebook, 2012
Nice premise (lesbian Persephone retelling with a female Hades), rather simplistically/amateurishly executed. I do wonder, as with the lesbian Cinderella novel "Ash", if I would have liked this better as a curious teenager, since it's aimed at the YA set, who is of course pretty lacking in same-sex romances of any sort. However, I am left just wanting to recommend my friend Katherine Beutner's marvellous "Alcestis", a retelling of a Greek myth which involves a girl's descent to the Underworld in ...more
T
Audiobook version: Though i like the narrator from other books I've listened to, this is one book where despite having a good narrator, i enjoyed reading this book more.
I'm still giving it 5 stars because i love Sarah Diemer's writing. I love her prose and pacing, not too mention the re-telling of this Greek mythology. It was just weird having someone else put their inflections on it.
I recommend this book however you get it.
Bard Bloom
Sep 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
The Dark Wife, by Sarah Diemer, is a lesbian separatist reformulation of the Persephone myth.

Now, I suppose that someone could do a *good* lesbian separatist reformulation of the Persephone myth, especially if they start out with the first nonstandardness of The Dark Wife, viz. that Hades is a woman. I've certainly read versions of the myth in which Persephone actively chooses Hades for one reason or another.

But The Dark Wife has some divergences from Greek mythology which I find blasphemous (as
Chichipio
I decided to try this after reading Vinaya's review. She made some good points about the works of self-published authors that, having been reading some of them myself, I was curious to verify.

Quality-wise this is a 4 star book. But it would be unfair of me to rate it like that because I've been giving 4 stars to books I've enjoyed much more. The thing is, romance is not exactly my cup of tea. I mostly just tolerate it in my stories rather than it being my reason for picking them. Anytime that th
Danika at The Lesbrary
First of all, I love this cover.

Second, I was pleasantly surprised by this book! I was a little worried about the quality of writing I've come to expect from self-published books, but this was good! It's a simple story, and the synopsis pretty much tells you everything that happens in the book. It's a teen romance that unfolds slowly, but with a mythological twist. I really enjoyed it.

Full review to be posted soon at The Lesbrary!
vicky.
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it

it was so cute and so gay but it is also a very simple story. I mean everyone is good and gay BUT Zeus who is blamed for everything.
I would have love to have a little for more depth for pretty much everyone, the idea of a lesbian retelling of Hades and Persephone is great but not very well executed.
casey
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt, kindle, wlw
tw: rape
I have no idea how to rate this. I loved the writing, and the beginning was strong, but Persephone felt too young and innocent for me to really get behind her relationship with Hades. I might lower the rating of this after thinking about it some more
Rhea
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
I picked this book up because the myth of Hades and Persephone is my favorite and any retelling is typically going to be interesting. The concept of this book, a female!Hades is wonderful and original but it goes downhill from there.

The book itself feels strangely paced with some parts too rushed and other details just repeating themselves. One way to make your reader feel like they're trapped in the underworld too is just reiterating the same lines and concepts over and over. Yup, there's dead
Romie
Sorry, but I can't finish this book. I stopped at p130 - so halfway through the book - and nothing happened. Nothing.
I don't really like Persephone - she lost the person she loved not so long ago but she's already over it, it's insta love between her and Hades, she's ignorant of her own world and just flat. And so is Hades. I can't believe I'm saying that, but Hades is bland.
I can't give it 1 star because it's for the books I hate, and I didn't hate this one, I just didn't feel anything in part
Eloise
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: wlw, lgbt-queer-rep
3.5/5 Yeah, it's a nice book.
You thought you knew the story of Hades and Persephone ? You haven't.
Greek myths, Goddess Hades of the Underworld and a bunch of lesbians. Of course it was nice to read.
Except not that much happened and it was basically insta love so... Although I didn't hate anything about it, I didn't fall deeply in Love with it either.
Play Book Tag: The Dark Wife/Sarah Diemer/3 Stars 1 15 Aug 02, 2018 09:01AM
2017 Reading Chal...: The Dark Wife by Sarah Diemer 1 27 Feb 14, 2016 09:16AM

• Breaking Legacies
  • The Queen of Ieflaria (Tales of Inthya, #1)
  • Sword of the Guardian (Legends of Ithyria, #1)
  • The Midnight Hunt (Midnight Hunters, #1)
  • Wild
  • Ash
  • The Abyss Surrounds Us (The Abyss Surrounds Us, #1)
  • The One Who Eats Monsters (Wind and Shadow, #1)
  • Blood Hunt (Midnight Hunters #2)
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • Aurora's Angel
  • Huntress
  • I Can't Think Straight
  • Ambereye (Garoul, #2)
  • The Edge of the Abyss (The Abyss Surrounds Us, #2)
  • Tangled Vows (Mistress, #1)
  • Requiem for Immortals
I write about heroic, magical girls who love girls. YA author of Golden Crown Award-winning THE DARK WIFE (the lesbian, YA retelling of the Persephone myth) and TWIXT and co-author, with my amazing wife, author Jennifer Diemer, of Project Unicorn: A Lesbian YA Extravaganza.