Start by marking “Göğü Delen Adam” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  2,712 ratings  ·  230 reviews
Papalagi denince beyazlar ya da yabancılar anlaşılır. Ama sözcüğü sözcüğüne çevrilirse göğü delen anlamına gelir.
Samoa'ya ilk misyoner bir yelkenliyle gelmişti. Yerliler bu beyaz yelkenliyi ufukta bir delik olarak gördüler, beyaz adamın içinden çıkıp kendilerine geldiği bir delik. O, göğü delip geçmişti.
Yüzyılımızın başlarında yayımlanan Göğü Delen Adam bugün artık bir yeş
Paperback, Lacivert Kitaplar, 110 pages
Published 2010 by Ayrıntı Yayınları (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Göğü Delen Adam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Göğü Delen Adam

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Göğü Delen Adam
Catarina Miranda
3.5 stars, I guess.
AND I'M FINALLY DONE WITH THIS BOOK!
It was good. Better than I expected! If you're looking for some kind of "reflection" book, this is a great choice! It was a little bit too religious for me, but I enjoyed it, anyway.
Brian Burriston
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good - helps to look at our way of life in a new perspective. Everything we take as being good is not what it seems...
Martin Pierce
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good, outsider's view of modern, westernized societies. It was written around late 19th/early 20th century, and contains a general critique of western civilization. It helps us appreciate what was important to premodern people, and how we have forgotten and neglected those important truths. For example, one complaint is that we think too much, meaning we analyze and judge things and people instead of enjoying life for what it is. People were already going to see silent motion pictures ...more
Tess Mabon
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well worth a read to widen your perspectives.
Susan Chow-Dukhan
The version of Tuiavii's Way that I read was adapted and translated into English by Peter C. Cavelti. The original book by Erich Scheurmann was written in German and published in 1920. Tuiavii was a young Samoan chief who traveled to Europe in the late 1800'sand returned back to Samoa to prepare a series of speeches regarding his perception of the white man's culture, beliefs, life styles and behaviours. While the earlier speeches are amusing, as Tuiavii talks about clothing, buildings and money ...more
Sandy D.
Allegedly the speeches of a Samoan chief who visited Europe at the turn of the 20th century, this was almost certainly written by the "translator" - a German idealist from the Wandervogel tradition who visited Samoa from 1914-1915, who published his thoughts about their "primitive culture" in Germany in 1920. It's interesting mainly as an exercise in seeing European culture (and their idealism about Polynesian culture) from a 1920's freethinkers' perspective.
Helena
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this in Swedish but the speeches by Tuiaviis is available in other languages, and I suggest you get yourself a copy of this little gem.

Dare to read. And reflect - how civilized are we, "the white man", really?
Haytham Reid
*3.5 stars

It's an interesting read, especially to understand the cultures of those who saw the white colonists come to their lands. Although there is much I disagree with, the rest is written wisdom.
Antonia
Jun 04, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who's nt too confortable with clothes
that the white man's burden is very unconfortable when clothes are concerned
Kemal Eren
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is really effective!
It help us appreciate what was important to pre modern people and how we forgotten those important truths. And the story is simple, everybody totally understand them. I love from samoa and you are our devil, yes you Papalagi.
Miguel Silva
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book about the difference between the Civilized Man and the man of the tribe.

It has a very interesting point of view with almost a humoristic tone.
Highly recommended, easy to read and pretty small!
Giorgos
May 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hoax that romanticizes good nature vs. bad modernism.
Bárbara
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has the power to make us more aware of our way of living and how it can hurt ourselves. The use of illustrations along with the text helps to better understand the exposed speech.
Anna
May 18, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Kinda racist (?)
Yasemin
It didn’t address me.
Ulviyya Majnunova
When I read this book, I felt like I was looking at a terrible mirror!
Evropa Thanathos
Didn't age a second.
Tiago Mariano
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
So unbelievably unintentionally good. Offers a very wide reflection on what we are, have and do as modern and "civilized" citizens of the today. Just like any good book, the main subject and moral lessons included in it are just as relevant nowadays as they'd been in times that they were written.

Note: The main body of the book is composed of Tuiavii's speeches (aimed for the people of his village), not anything from Scheurmann - all he did was take conversations with the tribe leader and bring h
Joana
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's one of those books you have to read at least once.
There's a high chance of both personal and global introspective reflections about who we are, our actions towards ourselves and the world.
You'll probably feel like an hypocrite while reading Tuiavii's thoughts. He takes you on a journey, we see ourselves through his eyes. A great blunt description of the white men, the "Papalagui".

Blew my mind, had shivers down my spine and even though I've read it in a single afternoon, I had to pause a l
David
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting yet dated book on the insights of this old Tuiavii chief of the Samoans in the beginning of the 20th century. He surely brings sharp comments on how the European (and Western) society today misses the original 'purpose' to constitute on Christian values as well as trying to export to others an empathic world-view of 'the Other'. Especially the last chapter on 'love' is an interesting and stark comment on this from someone with another perspective than we consider normative in the Wes ...more
Adolfo
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short read from, of course, narrow perspective but even so insightful and funny
Sara Figueiredo
It is always very interesting to see my own culture represented and explained from the eyes of someone that grew up outside of it. I am not giving this book a higher rating simply because at some points it was hard for me to read through it and my enjoyment was lacking. But saying it didn't stuck with me would be a lie, i still catch myself thinking about the destructiveness of our conception of time and its capitalization.
Scottie
Nov 13, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Our good German friends sent us this book and said it is wonderful and that they've read it several times. It must lose something in translation because I really dragged through it. It is supposedly a look at ourselves through another culture's eyes.
Spidra
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The printing I have is actually a comic book version illustrated by Joost Swarté.
Miguel
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good perspective of our lives, one that everyone should think about.
Jimmy
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Santiago Escobar
Really good book, it makes you rethink the daily routine you got and the nonsense behind it.
Sofia Loureiro
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
não só para rir mas também para relfetir (e muito!)
not only to laugh but also for reflexion
Salih
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
such a stimulating book, especially helps someone to notice how modernism bogging up humanity.
Elisabet
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it for a course in Sustainable development. Very interesting to have somebodyelses view.

• Suzan Defter
  • Listen, Little Man!
  • Mutlu Olma Sanatı
  • Mutsuzluk Zamanlarında Mutluluk
  • The Last Day of a Condemned Man
Erich Scheurmann (* 24. November 1878 in Hamburg; † 4. Mai 1957 in Armsfeld) war ein deutscher Maler und Schriftsteller. Bekannt geworden ist er als Verfasser des Bestsellers Der Papalagi (1920).

Karl Erich Scheurmann wurde in Hamburg geboren, wo er die Realschule zu Altona besuchte. Im Alter von neunzehn Jahren unternahm er eine Wanderung durch Deutschland. Nach dem Besuch von Kunstschulen in Hamb

News & Interviews

“È certamente vero che adoperiamo poco la conoscenza, quel che il Papalagi chiama «pensare». Ma c'è da chiedersi se stupido è chi non pensa molto, o chi pensa troppo.
....
Quando uno pensa molto e velocemente, in Europa si dice che ha una gran testa. E anziché avere compassione di queste grandi teste, le ammirano molto.”
1 likes
“Kızların ve kadınların bedenleri sıkıca örtülü olduğundan, erkekler ve delikanlılar onların etlerini görmek için büyük bir istek duyarlar. Bu doğaldır tabii. Ama onlar gece gündüz bunun düşünü kurup, kadınların, kızların vücutlarından söz ederler. Hem de bu son derece doğal olan şey büyük bir günahmış da, yalnızca karanlıkta yapılabilirmiş gibi. Ama eti bir kez gördüler mi, düşüncelerini başka tarafa yöneltirler, gözleri onu görmez olur.” 0 likes