Start by marking “Seaman: The Dog Who Explored the West with Lewis & Clark” as Want to Read:
Seaman: The Dog Who Explored the West with Lewis & Clark

Seaman: The Dog Who Explored the West with Lewis & Clark

It is 1804, the year that Meriwether Lewis, William Clark, and the Corps of Discovery set out for their now-legendary exploration of the Louisiana Purchase, departing St. Louis to travel across the continent to the Pacific Ocean and back.
This fictionalized biography of Lewis and Clark's journey introduces Seaman, a 150-pound Newfoundland dog and unheralded member of the Co
Published April 1st 2003 by Peachtree Publishers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Seaman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seaman

Bambi Moore
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic living book that explores the Lewis and Clark expedition. My boys begged to read this one aloud and it did not disappoint. Best for ages 10-14.
Ann Babcock
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book-makes me want another Newfoundland!!
Sarah Bierle
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a great story! My mother read this book to me when I was about seven. When I was younger my favorite thing about this story was that it focused on Seaman and made the big dog so friendly and personable.

As I've gotten older and my reading and historical knowledge has increased, I still enjoy this account. I appreciate that it focuses on Seaman and his relationship with his human friends, but doesn't tell the story from Seaman's first person perspective. The information about the Corps of Di
Sassafras Lowrey
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was pretty disappointing. It ends by saying that historical documents reveal Seaman's life ended very differently than the author wrote (she had him gifted away to a young explorer going back west) but it seems he likely returned to the states. also the casual racism in this book was rampant - moreso than another book about Seaman I recently read
Holly Ferris
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every since I was a kid, I had this picture book of the journey of Lewis and Clark with their loyal dog Seaman, since then I have fallen in love with that dog and their story. Reading this book was a very fun read and made the history really come to life!
Whitney
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
We read this for school. It was ok. Not as boring as I thought it would be, but sometimes I thought they just put the dog in the scene because the book was supposed to be about him. It didn’t add anything to the plot.
Caroline Tyson Cox
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
My kids and I loved reading this together!
Elizabeth Miller
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun fictional account of Lewis and Clark centered around the dog Seaman. A fast paced adventure.
Aida Schwartz
Read aloud to my children. Very good historical fiction.
Craftyerin
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: with-kids
Delightful historical fiction, perfect for our unit on Lewis & Clark and westward expansion. We all loved it, and I got mocked (by the children) for choking up at the poignant ending.
Katie
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Wonderful book about the Lewis and Clark expedition. The children in my class love the excitement and pacing. I appreciate Seaman's historically accuracy while remaining gentle. It is fun to read about this dog even as an adult!
Avery
Mar 17, 2017 added it
Ava
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Seaman is a very intriguing book about a courageous and loyal dog named Seaman as he travels with Lewis and Clark and the Corps of Discovery on a historical adventure. The author, Gail Langer Karwoski, used Lewis's diary own in order to write this book. Based on the journal entries, Seaman played a huge role in the success of the expedition. While the author used actual notes from Lewis's diary, she also used her own imagination to make the story more realistic. The book includes vivid details a ...more
LuAnn
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Engaging chronological retelling of Lewis and Clark’s amazing Expedition to the Pacific. Focusing on their dog, Seaman, increases the appeal to young people; however, keeping the narration in the third person doesn’t limit the author to the dog’s point of view. Their feats of finding their way across half the continent without maps; crossing the Rockies twice; enduring mosquitoes, gnats, starvation; running rapids in handmade canoes, meeting mostly friendly natives peoples; portaging supplies an ...more
Leah
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-youth
We listened to an audiobook of this for school. It was well researched and I think that the way the book highlights the dog and his relationship with his human friends might make this story more interesting for some kids. I think dog fans would really love this book. It is written "about" the dog not from his point of view. The author was able to blend the history about the trip and what we know about the dog from the actual journals of Lewis and Clark. Although it was interesting there have bee ...more
Amy
Historical fiction for kids re: Lewis and Clark. Bringing the dog into the spotlight seems like a great way to hook kids and it worked for Bea (though to be fair she loves history anyway and has already been interested in and learned a lot about L&C, etc.)

The book doesn't gloss over the hardships of the trip though - illness, hunger, death, troubles with the native tribes.... so reader beware. Bea had read a lot of picture books on the subject so she was prepared.
Savannah
Mar 07, 2008 rated it liked it
This one is livelier than the other similar title I read, which is interesting because that one is actually written from the pov of the dog, where this one is simply about him. The other has some more interesting episodes; this one has the more interesting writing. I think that ultimately this one is a touch more accessible, even if both are equally likely to appeal to kids.
Mitchell
Oct 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Mitchell by: Kathy Dale
This book was a fun perspective on the Lewis and Clark expedition. There were references throughout their records to the Newfoundland Dog that traveled with them. This book records the dogs exploits.

There is an interesting Google Lit Trip of the book found at http://www.googlelittrips.com/GoogleL...
Gabriel
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lewis bought Seaman for $20. Seaman was a Newfoundland dog. Seaman was bit by a beaver on the way to the Pacific and couldn't move for a week! Lewis and Clark never found the North West Passage. Seaman stayed with two trappers, Hancock and Dixson. Nobody knows what happened to him! This is a GREAT book!
Marie
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
The dog angle makes this kid-friendly, but it is not dumbed down. The author included loads of historical details from primary sources-- from terrain and wildlife to the fact that Sacagawea's husband was terrible at steering boats. My kids and I all learned a lot, and we all agreed that we wished we could give Seaman a big hug.
Annie Evans
Normally not an animal person, or an animal book person, but this one was an interesting way to hook my students into the story of the greatest real estate deal in the history of the U.S. as told through the eyes of the dog.
Ayesha Iqbal
I like dog books. I tend to collect dog themed stories and when I saw this one. I thought cool, a historical dog book. It took you on the adventures of Lewis and Clark with Seaman as the main character!
Kelly Holland
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
This is a remarkable book for teaching Lewis and Clark to children. The research blended with fiction and actual journal entries makes the story come alive. Highly recommended even if you're not teaching it!
Jessica
Jun 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a fun, interesting twist on the Lewis and Clark expedition. It is written for young adults/children, so it is lighter than other historical accounts. I enjoyed it, and it made me want to play with a newfoundland dog! I am planning on reading it with the kids.
Elise
Dec 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book not only held the interest of my sons, but I looked forward to reading it each night. It was also neat to look at the modern map showing where Lewis & Clark had explored. I loved the description of the Pacific Ocean having lived on the coast myself.
Butta
Feb 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
this book was really cool and kinda sad seaman a dog goes on the lewis and clark expedisoin and gose all the way to the western sea
Claudia
fun perspective for children on the Lewis & Clark adventure from sea to shining sea!
Ryan
Feb 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I could read it thousands times and still want to read it again.
Carol Bakker
An easy entry into the Lewis & Clark expedition. The illustrations are wonderful, along with quotes with original spelling from the journals.
Bailey
Feb 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is AWESOME!!!!:-D

• Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?
  • How We Crossed the West: The Adventures of Lewis and Clark
  • Son of Charlemagne
  • With Lee in Virginia
  • Arms & Armor
  • Patrol: An American Soldier in Vietnam
Gail Langer Karwoski writes historical novels and nonfiction for kids in grades 3-9, as well as “green” picture books. Curiosity inspires her choice of topics and research helps her books grow. Her titles have won lots of awards and are enjoyed in classrooms around the country.

When she isn’t clicking away on her keyboard, you can find this former teacher visiting schools and libraries. Gail’s live