Start by marking “What I Like about Me” as Want to Read:
What I Like about Me

What I Like about Me

The kids in "What I Like About Me," are as different as night and day. And, guess what? They love it. Some adore the fact that their braces dazzle and gleam, others feel distinguished when they wear their glasses. Still others wouldn't trade their big feet for a lifetime of free video games. This fun-loving book, which features entertaining flaps, pull tabs, and touch-and- ...more
Published September 1st 2005 by Reader's Digest Association (first published August 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about What I Like about Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What I Like about Me

Stacey Cook
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diversity
I really enjoy reading these books to young students. This book talks about a variety of kids. Children with braces, glasses, black hair or red hair, each student states something about themselves that they like.
At the end of the book there is a mirror. I like to pass this book around to each student. They will look into the mirror and state what they like about themselves. Then I have the student’s partner up and tell their peers something that they like about them.

Allia Nolan, the author, does
Bailey
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my new favorites. I had never read it before and chose it for a project in my diversity class and I am so glad I chose this book. All of the kids are so different and they embrace it and love it. It is very important to teach kids that being different is a good thing and that they should love themselves. Bullying is a big problem in most schools and I think this book is perfect to read to younger elementary classes to show them that everyone is awesome and to treat them with ...more
Deja
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review: This is one of my favorite books right know. I enjoyed reading this book to my classroom. It talks about how it is okay to be different we are all not the same and that's what makes us. Also at the end of the book its a mirror you could use this as a learning experience if you wanted have the child pass the book around and look in the mirror and have them share what the like about themselves.
Serene Atkins-Tate
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What I like about me by Allia Zobel Nolan, is an amazing book that illustrates the differences in each child. Every character in the book gets to describe what they like about themselves although different from others. At the end of the book the author has a mirror and ask the child to tell what they like about themselves. I rated the book 5 stars for its potential in social emotional development and encouraging children to love themselves the way they are.
Rebecca Chew
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the rhymes!
Deanna Gurau
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Allia Nolan reaches out to kids with this book about being yourself. In this book, Nolan describes how in this "perfect" world it is okay to be different and stand out with such things as braces or glasses. The tone and style of this writing is uplifting. This book does not tear down anyone for what they look like or what they act like. I would say the type of diversity in this story is the different kids. They may be different skin colors, or they may be different in a way that one has no hair, ...more
Katie
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, LOVE this book! It's a celebration about everything that makes you unique. The children especially loved the end where they got to see themselves in the book (there's a mirror in the back)! I definitely recommend reading this to any small children to get them to love themselves as they are.
Ashley Dailey
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: emotions
This was a cute book about differences in people and how we should embrace differences. The pictures are cute and it keeps children's attention.
Brooklyn Miller
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This a great story for younger children who need to learn that it is okay to be different. This book is very aesthetically pleasing. However, it seems to be a little stereotypical.
Meghan Hunt
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jp-picture-books
This is a body-positive book. Great for appreciating our differences. This would be great in a preschool storytime.
Callie Manias
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Super cute! Great for talking about good features about people or positive self esteem.
From Schaeffer's
Iman Tabbaa
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-about-me
What I Like About Me has many different children with many differences. Some children have big ears, big feet, freckles, braces, glasses, and they eat different things. These children embrace and celebrate their differences as unique parts of who they are. On one page the book has a mirror where the kids can look in and see what they like about themselves.

As an art assignment children will making self-portriats I was going to have little hand held mirrors in small groups. The children will look
Kristina Bulluck
This book is great for helping children with self esteem issues. You are who you are and you can not change that so you have to live with yourself and accept that. Helps children know that they are not the only one that may have big feet, tall or have braces. Great book for learning to accept self

LE: Have the children to draw what their imaginary friend would look like if they had one. The may look just like them or the way that they see themselves.
Brittany Wood
What I Like About Me has many different children with many differences. Some children have big ears, big feet, freckles, braces, glasses, and they eat different things. These children embrace and celebrate their differences as unique parts of who they are. On the last page, the book has a mirror where the children can look in and see what they like about themselves. This is a great choice for Social and emotional development!
Jasmine
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: s-e-ecce-2203
What I Like about Me- Author Allia Zobel Nolan Illustrator Miki Sakamoto.

This book is about children with different qualities that they love about themselves. They embrace these qualities no matter how different they are from other children.

The content of this book focuses on embracing your unique qualities

This book can be utilized on the first day of school/ a new classmate/ or when children meet and see different people outside of school

Kenia Soto
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: s-e-ecce-2203
What I Like About Me is a book that describes each child's uniqueness. The children described their unique features and the different foods they eat. The main S/E content for this book is diversity. I would use this book to talk about diversity, self-awareness, and our own unique features. I would follow up with a self-portrait activity.
Audrey Galiardi
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Sometimes kids can be really hard on themselves. I like to in Febuary or so take the time to discuss how we are all different, but it makes us so special. We all have our own strengths and areas of weakness...even Mrs. Marshall! After sharing things we like about ourselves we make a book full of the things that make us different, but oh so special!
Jeannie
Sep 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents and teachers
Recommended to Jeannie by: Janeen Hare
Adorable book. I like what the back cover says: "This fun-loving book proves to kids that, in a world where fitting in is the norm, being different is what makes us special." The book presents this belief/concept beautifully through rhyme and quirky illustrations.
Bunty Jah
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: s-e-ecce-2203
This is a great book to talk about diversity and differences in each child. Its a great book that encourages children to love themselves and teaches them different body parts. Great book for Social Emotional development. Appropriate for children ages 3-5
Sophia
Jan 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great multicultural book to read to students! Talks about being unique and what children love about how different they are.
Gina Starling
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
PK-1

This is a super book to start your younger students off with. It is an early start to good self esteem.
Stephany
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is definitely social emotional, has very good illustrations and rhymes. Good for describing words and parts of the body; It gives children the meaning that everyone is different and unique.
Elizabeth
This is a great book to use at the beginning of the school year with young kids. It explains that everyone is different, and needs to be accepted.
Nancy Vu
This is a great book to start the school year. The students are all different; they can love themselves and appreciate each other. Grades K-2
Grant Stephens
Great book to show kids that being different is a good thing that should be celebrated not separated. Great for young kids because of the sensory props in the book.
Destiny Coleman
What I Like about Me is a book that teaches children about self-awareness. This is a great book and the pictures are wonderful. Age appropriate for 3 to 6 years old.
Thao
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Good for
- Reading at the beginning of the school year.
- Teaching about how everyone is different; students should love themselves and appreciate each other
- Grades k-2
Stacia
Jul 11, 2017
Hayley
May 15, 2015
Michelle Hodder
Aug 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue: Helping Kids Learn the Difference Between Tattling and Telling
  • Nanny and Me
  • The Giant Carrot
  • Curious Critters
  • Will You Fill My Bucket?: Daily Acts of Love Around the World
  • Germs Make Me Sick!
  • Can't Sleep Without Sheep
  • My Five Senses Big Book (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Biscuit's Pet  Play Halloween
  • Sergio Makes a Splash
  • Shapes, Shapes, Shapes
  • What Moms Can't Do
  • Jingle Bells
Allia Zobel Nolan is an internationally published, award-winning author specializing in children’s trade and religious books and adult humorous books. She has written over 150 titles, and has over 2 million books in print. For the past nine years, Ms. Zobel Nolan worked for Reader’s Digest Children’s Books as a Senior Editor. She became a free-agent as of April 07, and is now at work on several r ...more