Start by marking “At Peace (The 'Burg, #2)” as Want to Read:
At Peace (The 'Burg, #2)

At Peace

(The 'Burg #2)

4.48  ·  Rating details ·  26,705 ratings  ·  1,934 reviews
Violet Winters once had it all but lost it when her husband was murdered by a criminal madman. During a cold winter night Violet has to leave her warm bed to tell her neighbor to turn the music down. And that’s when she meets sinister, scarred, scarily attractive security specialist, Joe Callahan.

She wants to deny it, but Violet can’t beat back the hunger she feels for
Published May 2nd 2011

To ask other readers questions about At Peace, please sign up.
Jennifer It's not very prominent. The reason the author uses the triangle theme (for a small portion of the book) is more as a stepping stool to the VERY…moreIt's not very prominent. The reason the author uses the triangle theme (for a small portion of the book) is more as a stepping stool to the VERY OBVIOUS love match. I don't like the triangle theme at all, but because of the reason for the triangle (I don't want to give it away) it did not detract from the book.(less)
Antonella No. Kristen said something about these two are characters based on her nieces so it would be weird.. but they get mentioned in other books...also…moreNo. Kristen said something about these two are characters based on her nieces so it would be weird.. but they get mentioned in other books...also there is great epilouge in final book of the series "Hold on" and we get to see what future hold for Kate and Keira( it was great ending)..(less)

·  26,705 ratings  ·  1,934 reviews

Start your review of At Peace (The 'Burg, #2)
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
2/4/19: Felt like the time for another re-read!
5/29/16: I feel the need...the need for a Joe re-read...

5 MILLION THOUSAND HUNDRED STARS.

And triangles.
And circles.
And squares.

Re-read: 9/6/15
Re-read: 5/31/15

God, I fucking love this book.

This is definitely one of my fave KA's and I think I have probably read this thing 15+ times.

Because JOE.

Nuff said.

*wipes drool*
Christy
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-audio
5 Stars!!!

“description"/

Can Kristen Ashley write a bad book??? I think not. This may be my new favorite of hers. Couldn’t get enough of Joe and Violet! I fell in love with this story. An amazing read!

“description"/

Violet has recently moved to ‘the burg’ with her two teenage daughters from Chicago. Her husband a cop, the man she was with since she was a teenager was murdered over a year ago, so now its just her and her girls. One night, she hears a lot of music coming from her neighbors house in the middle of the night.
Jilly
Just shoot me. This fucking book! I wanted to murder the main guy. He is an alpha asshole for the alpha asshole museum. And, the book was 1,400 pages on my e-reader. That's a long time to hate someone. I think my blood pressure took a hit during this reading. I need wine.

Okay, so we have Violet, a widow with two teenage daughters, and Joe, an asshole who lives next door. They have a not-so-nice meeting where Joe acts like a total jerk. Later, he comes up to her at the local bar while she's drunk
Mo
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a Buddy re-read with Alleskelle and Irene. This book is perfection. I used think Tate was my number one KA hero but Joe "Cal" Callahan has toppled him. There are tears, laughter, suspense, teenagers, dogs, drinks, food. It has it all. HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS.

Decided to do a re-read. Was it as good the second time around – even better…..

Sexy Joe Callahan …

He was a dick, Christ he was a dick, he should cut her loose. For the life of him, he just fucking couldn’t.

Loved the way poor Vi was
~IreneOust~
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE

This was my umpteenth reread! My ultimate favorite read of Kristens!!

photo 2b892c54-33c6-42b0-874e-7659bcdc8aec_zps5fad62ab.jpg

I have a confession to make ... this is the most read book on my Kindle and my absolute KA favorite. This was the 9th time I read it (I KNOW, RIGHT?!?!?!) and I already want to read it again. Perhaps I have issues or maybe it's because

photo myheartbelongstojoe_zps0cf2051d.jpg

Do I think Joe Callahan is the ultimate alpha created by Kristen?? Well ... DUH!

You know how we all have this one book that we find perfect for one reason or another. This is MY perfect book. It's
Stacey is Sassy
Still bloody brilliant.

One of my all-time favourite Kristen Ashley reads/listens. There are so many things that I feel I could hold against Joe but by the end, you can't help but love him. His relationship with Kate and Keira always makes me smile as he steps into their lives so effortlessly. Cradling them in his arms when they face heartbreak could make anyone's heart melt.

It's sexy, emotional and it's enthralling. I will be back again...soon...ish. :-)

**********

Baking can be very, very
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Oct 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Buddy read with Sea and all of the AA peeps
Dear Goodreads Friends,

I'm sorry to have to go against the trend here, but I can't seem to wrap my mind around a 1,000 plus page contemporary romance book. Someone please come let me know if Ms. Ashley ever decides to write one in about half of the space and I might be willing to check it out. Thanks.

Your Exasperated Friend,
Stacia XOXOXO

I do think there was a good story buried among the rubble of excess character description, shopping scenes, and the home and garden report. However, my
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Awesome!!!! Kindle Price Drop!

Gearing up for Frankie and Benny's story!

The first 4 books in the series are only $1.99 for a limited time!

#1 - For You - http://www.amazon.com/For-You-Burg-Se...

#2 - At Peace - http://www.amazon.com/Peace-The-Burg-...

#3 - The Golden Trail - http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Trail-Bu...

#4 - Games of the Heart - http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Trail-Bu...

---------

At Peace has become one of my very favorite Kristen Ashley books, and Joe Callahan has become my favorite, most
Auntee
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of alpha heroes
Recommended to Auntee by: All my GR friends
Joe Callahan, also known as "Cal", minus the scars that mar his gorgeous face....
Photobucket

So I'm sitting here, stalling, wondering how to convey my thoughts about this one. So many people have raved about this author, and finally, after a few not-so-gentle nudges, I decided to give KA a try. And oh boy, I've boarded the KA train, and I'm afraid I don't want to get off! I haven't picked up another book since I've finished this one days ago. I just can't get over security expert Joe and his
Amy | Foxy Blogs
description

I've been on a Kristen Ashley audio binge lately. This audio was 23 hours long. I figured it would take me a month to finish but instead it took a week and half. I really enjoyed listening to this one but there were some minor things that the narrator did that took some time getting use to... such as her swallowing noise. At the beginning when she'd do it would distract me from the story.

I'm Team Joe now! He makes a great KA alpha male. Vi, on the hand, drove me nuts for a portion of this book
NMmomof4
4 Stars (Originally read 4/16/2017)

4 Stars (Re-Read 2/11/2019)

4 Stars(2nd Re-Read 12/2/2019)

Re-Read Update: This was an enjoyable re-read. I'm going to keep my rating the same. I did have some issues with the h leading on Mike while still emotionally attached to Joe, but I also understood what she was doing (and Mike knew what she was doing). There were some moments where I felt the length of the book. I never skimmed, but it felt long. I also felt like that ending was a total let down and
Aestas Book Blog
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

**SQUEEEEE** O.M.G what a SENSATIONAL book!!! My heart is filled to bursting here. Love love LOVE!!

This is a gorgeous book about a second chance at love, life, family and healing. Kristen Ashley never ceases to amaze me with utter brilliance of her books. Just one winner after another!! Damaged Alpha male hero, strong heroine, beautiful story... whats not to love??

"You're mine, the girls are mine. I'm stakin' my claim with you right now..."

"You're unbelievable," I snapped.

"I'm yours."

That
Kristen
4 1/2 to 5 stars

WOW!I loved this book!

I will admit to not fully enjoying the first half of the story because the hero was a complete and utter jerk, but the second half more than made up for it and shined brilliantly.At Peace made me laugh. It made me cry. It made mehappy. It made mesad. It made me giddy. It also made me irate at times. However, At Peace is packed with so much heart and soul it's impossible not to get caught up in all its splendor.

I was captivated and enthralled by the
Duchess Nicole
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves the alpha
Recommended to Duchess Nicole by: ~IreneOust~
”You two come with so much baggage, it's a wonder you don't get crushed. And that's the thing, neither of you did. And you found each other. It's time to unload that burden and find some joy.”

I rarely gush and swoon and giggle and lose my ever loving mind for a book. I should have known Kristen Ashley would bring out my inner teenage girl. Joe Callahan and Violet, even Mike and Vi's daughters Kate and Kiera...they all stole my heart. Their story made my emotions run a crazy obstacle course
ღFloღ the coffee addict
5 give me more of that Joe STARS

I'm repeating myself, but I just have to say it again...I kinda like to read Kristen Ashley books. I know you didn't expect that. ;D I'm so cheeky.

So, At Peace is the second instalment in the The 'Burg Series and while I'm partial to the first book For You, I still had to give this one 5 Stars just because anything less would have been
SamJ ★Needs a HEA★
5 stars after a re read.

I love this book.

It is truly truly beautiful!

Violet Winters has moved the The 'Burg after losing her cop husband to a crime lord, a crime lord who then took an interest in her, and "stalked" her for months.

She moves in next door to Joe Callahan.

At first, they get off on the wrong foot!

Wasn't that just the shit of it? There I was, in my predicament and I had security to the fucking stars living next door and I hated him because he was a huge jerk

But they have an
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
5 BEST-CUPPA-JOE-ON-THE-PLANET STARS!!!!!!

I didn’t expect this book to rip me apart.

Yes, it was unbelievably sexy and HOLY CANNOLI JOE!!!! The dirty talk is off the charts…but we’ll get to that…

Vi has been dealt a shit deal in life. She is a mother of two teenage girls….and a widow. After losing her husband a year and a half ago, she does what she has to do in order to get by. I loved loved loved her girls, Kate and Keira. They helped make this book for me. They made me laugh through the whole
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
When I was in college, I dated this guy who was . . . he really wanted to be a hardcore, badass kind of guy . . . but mostly he was just an ass.

He was my first serious boyfriend, and over the course of our relationship he got three tattoos. The first one was of the Chinese characters for . . . wait for it . . . "iron man." And trust me people, he was a big dude (6'4''), but "iron man" he was NOT. The second one was of a phoenix. In FLAMES. It was on the top of his arm with a rune that the guy
* Meli Mel *

5 BRILLIANT STARS

"I got older and that changed and all I wanted was a good woman and a family. All my life, with a slight variation on theme, that's all I ever wanted. Buddy, you've given me both. You think, givin' me that, I could
ever balance those scales?"

Oh Joe Callahan... How I LOVE you!! This guy... seriously... one of my all time favourite Kristen Ashley Alpha males. At first I thought he was a jerk. I was like, 'why do all these people like him so much?'. His fanclub was HUGE. Just
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
**5++++ Just Amazing Stars**

Well I've added another KA alpha male to my book husband list. The sexy, dirty talking, slightly tormented, Italian (something about Italians that screams HOT!) loves with his whole heart Joe Callahan! I burned with heat for this man and he has my heart! Here's my banner for Joe:

description/
I love you KA for making such fabulous characters that make me swoon! I was like this the whole time:

And I'm sure Joe looks something like this:

And yes I'M IN LURVE!!

Violet had a crappy life,
Vika aka ♔ of GIF & Grumpy Smut-ateer *P/T Freebie Fairy

My Joe/Cal

My Violet

My Kate & Keira

Vi and her 2 teenage daughters, Kate & Keira, are newcomers to the 'Burg. Escaping a psychopathic criminal stalker who killed her cop husband. Violet is a great mom doing everything a great mom does who doesn't have her partner... gently spoiling her daughters because of that. Vi living for her daughters in grief for over a year.

Joe is a security to the stars, who barely visit his home... a home that is right next door to Vi.
Baba
Dec 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
“Without peace of mind, life is just a shadow of its possibilities.”
- by Jean Borysenko -

3.5 stars.

About my rating: Despite my issues it’s a well-written, emotional and engrossing story and therefore I rounded up to 4 stars.

Wow, deep breath...I know, I know, hold your horses, Baba! This was such an emotional rollercoaster and I got worked up. A lot. While reading At Peace I felt angry, annoyed, frustrated, extremely sad, yet at the same time I was happy. Happy for Joe, Violet, and her daughters.
Lady Heather
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kristen Ashley Fans, contemporary romance, thriller-suspense, Kick-Ass male leads
Still one of my favorite KA books!
LOVE VI-0H-MY and Joe (Cal) Callihan. <3

Third read: 'cause I'm in the mood for a KA romancin', a little Vi-oh-my (Violet), and a whole lotta Mr Joe Callihan (security to the stars).

Second Read: July 13, 2014

LOVE!

First Read: March 30, 2012
5 ++

This bloody book had me in knots & stitches the whole time! Literally loud sobs coming out of my mouth & tears streaming down my face one minute, then laughing out loud the next.

The only other book to affect me
Angie - Angie's Dreamy Reads
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
GOOD GRACIOUS ME.

JOE.

That ending was really freaking spectacular. This book was so much, so many things. The feels. Ahhhhhhhh! I need a minute. Hahahaha! I feel exhausted. I was pulling for Joe so hard. GAH. Okay... I need to move on to the next! GAH. I can't wait to get to Mike and Benny's books. Benny Bianchi especially. I really hope we get some Joe and Vi in there too. Ah!
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
*3.5 Stars*

Another sensuous, action-packed installment to The 'Burg series. At Peace was a fun, exciting read filled with tension, romance, suspense, and one agonizingly sexy alpha-hero.

Cal and Violet are neighbors whose friendship takes a little longer to ignite than their passion. The sexy, brooding, tormented Cal has been burned in a past relationship and is emotionally distant and unattainable. Violet has moved into the neighborhood with her two daughters to escape the threat of her
KatLynne
5+ stars

I think I love Joe (Cal) Callahan, security specialist, as much or at least close to my feelings for Tate from Sweet Dreams!

Why?!?! I’m not sure! Except I do have a weakness for those totally over the top badass hotties. Yeah, like Tate, Hawk, and Ty, Joe fits right in with them. He’s gruff, blunt, callous and can be downright vicious! He appears heartless AND he is a player! He doesn’t do “relationships” and can be very brutal to get this point across. “We’re done” is one way of
Dija
Rating: A very, very generous two stars.

Before I begin my rant (because that's pretty much all this review is), I'd like to clarify something: I adore Kristen Ashley. To me, she's the Walt Disney of adult fiction. Her stories are unforgettable, fulfilling, and utterly beautiful.

That being said, At Peace didn't do it for me. At all. I had a number of issues with this book, and most of them are because of the heroine, Violet.

To begin with, the relationship between Violet and Tim, her first
Bev
I honestly don't know how many times I have read this series, each time seems just like the first time. More so with listening to it on audio, loved it.

Re-read Dec 2017: Sometimes I need a bit of Joe in my life, what a way to close out 2017
Shawna
5 stars – Contemporary Romance/Romantic Suspense

Wow! I loved this! Kristen Ashley is an amazing author warrior queen! Seriously! At Peace is the 8th book of hers that I’ve read and highly enjoyed and it’s one of my favorite KA reads. Although the Colorado Mountain series and my beloved Law Man still hold a definite edge.

Joe Callahan is another extremely domineering, uber alpha asshat and lordy have mercy did he piss me off...until around the 80% mark that is! There were times I swore that even
~Mindy Lynn~
Gawd, I forgot how long this book was. Still love it though!

It's a bit surprising how much I have grown as a reader since reading this book the first time. I found the second time around with this book that I was picking at the female more. It surprised me because I really liked her the first time around and I still liked her, I just found things about her that annoyed me and some other things in the book that annoyed me as a whole. But not enough to un-claim this one as my favorite in the
new 1 6 Jul 13, 2017 09:17AM
Turning Pages At ...: At Peace (The 'Burg #2) KA Buddy Read 44 19 May 21, 2017 06:43AM
The Challenge Fac...: V Audio Nerd, Stacie D Struction & K Terror - At Peace 18 14 Nov 02, 2015 11:56AM
Kristen Ashley Ad...: At Peace (Book #2) Joe and Vi's Story (Spoilers Possible) 447 1271 Aug 24, 2015 10:25AM
C.D.'s Canaries: At Peace Buddy Read 4/22/14 518 82 May 01, 2014 02:24PM

• The Best Thing
  • Reaper's Property (Reapers MC, #1)
  • Axel (Corps Security, #1)
  • Love Unscripted (Love, #1)
  • Luna and the Lie
  • Reaper's Legacy (Reapers MC, #2)
  • Under Locke
  • Razing Kayne (Walking a Thin Blue Line, #1)
  • The Year of Everything
  • The Bitterroot Inn (Jamison Valley, #5)
  • Protecting What's His (Line of Duty, #1)
  • Devil's Game (Reapers MC, #3)
  • The Clover Chapel (Jamison Valley, #2)
  • Tattered (Lark Cove, #1)
  • Wrecking Ball (Hard to Love, #1)
  • Reaper's Stand (Reapers MC, #4)
  • Cage (Corps Security, #2)
  • Until Nico (Until, #4)
Kristen Ashley was born in Gary, Indiana, USA. She nearly killed her mother and herself making it into the world, seeing as she had the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck (already attempting to accessorise and she hadn't taken her first breath!).

Kristen grew up in Brownsburg, Indiana but has lived in Denver, Colorado and the West Country of England. Thus she has been blessed to have friends

The 'Burg (6 books)
  • For You (The 'Burg, #1)
  • Golden Trail (The 'Burg, #3)
  • Games of the Heart (The 'Burg, #4)
  • The Promise (The 'Burg, #5)
  • Hold On (The 'Burg, #6)
“You’re mine, the girls are mine. I’m stakin’ my claim with you right now and, you force it, I’ll do it with him too.” 74 likes
“Nothing can fill you up,” she stated.
“Nope,” he agreed again.
“You won’t let it.”
“Barrel’s got a hole in the bottom, buddy, everything leaks out no matter how much you pour in.”
She was silent a moment then she whispered, “Right.”
She turned to the door and his hand gripped his bourbon so hard he had to focus everything on loosening his grip or the glass would shatter.
Before she opened it, she turned back. “You don’t know, Cal, you have no idea.
You’ve shut yourself up for so long in this fucking house with your tragic memories, you have no idea what’s about to walk out your door. Kate, Keira and me, we could have plugged that hole. We could have filled you so full, you’d be bursting. We would have loved that chance. We’d have given it everything we had, no matter the time that slid by, graduations, weddings, grandbabies, you’d have been a part of us and we’d have given everything we had to keep you
so full, you’d be bursting.”
Cal didn’t reply.
“Joe,” she whispered, “you let me walk out this door, you’ll lose your chance.”
Cal didn’t move.