Start by marking “I Like It When . . .” as Want to Read:
I Like It When . . .

I Like It When . . .

The young penguin in this board book edition of Mary Murphy's perennial favorite likes holding hands, dancing, eating new things, reading, and having all sorts of fun with an affectionate and caring older penguin. Perfect for little ones--and for the ones they love!
Board Book, 22 pages
Published August 1st 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about I Like It When . . ., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Like It When . . .

Start your review of I Like It When . . .
Laura Black
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book because it is so simple and yet so bright and positive.
I Like It When... portrays a young penguin and an adult penguin and explores their loving relationship.
The book makes no mention of age, gender or race. It does not even label the relationship between the two penguins, instead it focusses on the things the like to do together.
That the book omits such fine details makes it extremely inclusive. The young penguin could be a boy or a girl. The adult penguin could be a parent,
Stacy
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My granddaughter has loved this book for a couple years now. I must agree, it is adorable.
Rebecca
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit, kidlit-picbk
A great beginners book for toddlers about consent and showing appropriate affection. A must read for all adults and their younger children.
Lefruitbat
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: yes
this is my bedtime story book for sacha and i think its awesome. it doesn't pitch a philsophy but instead goes through a series of family activities like eating, helping, dancing, splashing in bath, reading... all the way to good night.
its simple with bright colors and bold black and white penguins. when i get to the tickle part... i of coarse tickle sacha!!!! i love its simplicity and positivity.
Denise
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Simple repetition of the various acts of care and love children can expect from their parents. The adult penguin and child penguin are both genderless, and their relationship is never labeled, which is great for giving it to any sort of family.
Celine
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I like it when...

by Mary Murphy

The main character of ‘I like it when...’ is a young penguin.

Writing in the first and second person, he expresses his affection towards the grown-up penguin, most likely his mother or father. The illustrations by author Mary Murphy show the pair carrying out a range of everyday activities that the little one enjoys. Each page displays a new activity and a statement such as “I like it when you let me help” and “I like it when we splash about”.

The tone of the bo
Janie
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like it when ... I find a book this good.

I like this book. My toddler likes this book. We like it when we read this book together! (He likes it when other people read it with him too!)

It's positive; it's relationship-based; it's unfettered by roles, including gendering. The language is winning: It is pro-social. It is repetitive yet unstilted.

My kiddo is neurodiverse and is just beginning to express himself in phrases, and there are two that are coming up a lot: "I see ..." and "I like ..." T
Erica Nicol
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents, care-givers of all kinds
Mary Murphy's penguins are expressive, fun, and clearly love each other. The text is simple and well-written, and the overall story is engaging, gentle, and comforting. My daughter loves to read this with me, especially now that she's able to see herself doing more of the things that the penguin child in the book does.

I really love that this book shows a child and a care-giver without specifying that the care-giver is a mommy or daddy or grandparent. When I worked in a bookstore a customer asked
Eileen
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages: -1-7
Shelves: kids
Fighting the immature part of me that wants to review this book as "I Like It When...You Touch Me: an Introduction to Pedophelia; I think this book is pretty great.
It's not another fear-based or moral book and the age-range is pretty broad.

I read this for the first time with my 5-year old and, while the dialect is simple-intended for a younger audience I suppose, the few words with big letters and simple theme let my son see the words better than if he had to pay close attention to the story.
Kristen Hylton
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Today I read "I Like It When.../Me gusta cuando..." at bilingual storytime, and it was pretty good! The kids got a little squirrelly toward the end, though. I got the kids engaged by asking what kinds of things they like to do with their adults. All the kids said they like helping! A couple even said they like to help clean their rooms and that of their baby brother! This was a very sweet book, and was good for helping kids make connections with their own lives and make sense of their likes and ...more
Katherine Cowley
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This clever book frames things that children often see as negative (housework, new foods, etc.) in a positive way: "I like it when you let me help", "I like it when we try new foods", etc. It follows a classic picture book arc that is created by taking a day in the life of a child, albeit an anthropomorphic penguin baby. The illustrations had nice bold, contrasting colors that my baby enjoyed. I Like it When... is genuinely like-able.
Cassie
Ages 1-5. This is a simple story that can help children think about what they like to do with their families. After reading this story you can ask, "What do you like to do with the one you love most?" Very colorful pages, that aren't too busy, and the simple bold text has plenty of white space and helps it stand out. The text bubbles add an additional layer and can help children realize print carries meaning.
Sam Grace
I really do like this one - all the "I like its" are things that I really do like - when you hold my hand, when you let me help you, etc - and I love that the illustrations let you read it like either the parent or the child is doing the talking AND that the gender of both penguins is utterly obscured. Short, easy to read aloud, opportunities for interaction while reading - but my kid just isn't into it! I have no idea why not.
Ina
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
Another cute small penguin tells the reader about the things he likes to do with his adult penguin. Simple text and pictures with simple shapes and bold colors make this a perfect book to read to very young storytime audiences. I like it when...you hold hands with me...let me help...dance with me...hold me tight...and (of course!) read me stories. Simple, but engaging.
Tiff
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a warm and fuzzy book. Parent penguin and baby penguin are the main leads in this story. Baby penguin tells how he/she likes it when...you let me help; we eat new things; hug me tight! Illustrations are contained in red, green, blue, yellow and white backgrounds. Ends with: You're wonderful!
Emily Joyal
Nov 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
i've been reading this to my non-english speakers at work. we read this one, along with two others, every day. it's amazing how they can learn words, phrases, and concepts in this way! it's a cute little book.
Sonya Feher
Jan 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
The relationship between parent and child penguin makes this book a sweet read. The actions in the book: helping, eating new things, playing peekaboo etc. are universal so our son recognized himself and even made up motions to act them out. This is a great book for 15 months+.
Anne Miller
Jun 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eliot-favorites
both of my boys have absolutely adored this book. With very little text and vibrant primary colors, its cute. The parent is gender ambiguous, and its really pretty cute. One I havent minded to read 50 billion times.
jacky
Oct 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: toddlers, preschoolers
Shelves: lib-lew, board-books
This book was a nice mix of fun things (play peekaboo) and good behaviors (hold my hand). I liked how this little book puts a positive spin on some of the subjects parents and toddlers often fight about. Cute penguins, too.
Tamara
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ember is enthralled with the book. She squirms usually for books but she sits still for this one. It is cute about a penguin and his mom. I think the bold contrasting colors and simple pictures help.
Kai
OPENING:

I like it when you hold my hand

CLOSING:

you're wonderful!

REVIEW:

A sweet book about family love.

Susan
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, storybook
A sweet, gentle book for very young children. I especially like that Murphy used penguins that had no obvious gender or racial characteristics. I think that makes the book more accessible to a diversity of readers.
Amy
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-pictures
Short and sweet showing a penguin parent and penguin child having fun doing things together. Reminds you of activities that you can do when you are just staring at each other or getting on each other's nerves.
Diana
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
This one paired up very nicely with "I Am Small" by Emma Dodd for my Penguin storytime. Super cute! I really like the interaction between parent and child and the obvious care they have for each other.
Tracy
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, kiddo
Ok, so a lot of kids' books put words in a kid's mouth, literally, etc. etc. But some of them are really written so those words are what a bigger person would want to hear a smaller person say, and those are kinda grating.
Shannon Tuttle
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an adorable book. My husband and I would read it together with our daughter with me reading the Spanish and him the English. We were able to teach our daughter some Spanish through this book. She loved this book as a younger child.
Kim
This is a nice bedtime book. I like this it is short with bold and colorful illustrations. It is a sweet message with actions readers can follow along- "I like it when we dance," "I like it when we tickle," etc.
Cheryl
Sep 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My son loved this book. Simple for the youngest little ones. We read this 1000 times.
Danalee
Sep 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: families of young children.
Sweet simple pictures, a repeated line, and references to activities that young children can relate to experiencing. My students love this one.
Kendra
Oct 21, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: moms
this is part of our good night routine with bryce. we read it most nights. great pictures.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Blue Hat, Green Hat
  • Good Night, Gorilla
  • The Pout-Pout Fish
  • Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book!
  • Where's Spot?
  • Where Is Baby's Belly Button?
  • Bear Snores On
  • Almost Time
  • Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?
  • The Nose Book
  • Potty
  • Littles: And How They Grow
  • Penguin Problems
  • Hat Tricks
  • A Color of His Own
  • Moo, Baa, La La La!
  • Belly Button Book!
Children's author and illustrator Mary Murphy enchants even the youngest of readers with her bold style, combining eye-catching graphics and a bouncy text that seemingly jump off the pages.

Mary Murphy has an advanced diploma in Visual Communications and has written and illustrated a number of children's books, including her lift-the-flap, pull-the-tab book about friendship, ROXIE AND BO TOGETHER.

News & Interviews