Start by marking “Sister Slam and the Poetic Motormouth Road Trip” as Want to Read:
Sister Slam and the Poetic Motormouth Road Trip

Sister Slam and the Poetic Motormouth Road Trip

3.07  ·  Rating details ·  144 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
This inspiring coming-of-age story introduces 17-year-old Laura Crapper, a slam poet who with her best friend hits the road for New York City. Once there, the girls and their fresh style of poetry take the city by storm. Told entirely in Laura's in-your-face slam poetry style.
Published February 15th 2007 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Sister Slam and the Poetic Motormouth Road Trip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sister Slam and the Poetic Motormouth Road Trip

Susan
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
Okay...the idea of a brash misfit and her friend going on a road trip to a poetry slam is a pretty great concept, and I really feel there should be more novels in verse out there for the YA crowd, but this just did not work for me. Forget the neatly tied-up Cinderella style plotline, and the non-emphasis on character development, because that's not even what this book is about. This book is a book in verse about a girl who has a passion for poetry, and unfortunately it's the poetry that really d ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I read it because it's a novel in verse. Two teens go on their own to New York City and encounter no problems and friendly people? And are successful poetry slammers? It all seemed too easy.
Terry
Mar 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Certainly not my favorite. Usually, verse novels stay away from rhyme, but this one sticks with it all the way through. Some other reviewers have spoken ill of this, but I stopped noticing it part way through. I did like that the main character is a working class fat girl and, while this is noted and referenced, these aren't the defining issues of the book. It also passes the Bechdel test, in that Twig and Sista' Slam have conversations that aren't about a guy and that are about life, friendship ...more
Amber
Sep 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish, 2011
Not into the verse.
Even if I've read worse.
Megan
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, 2017-reads
It is crazy how fast I read this book. Two hours! Then again, it was all in poetry, and the story was so great that I was eating in the up like eating, but still. It was awesome! Sweet and hilarious.
Andrea Blythe

and begin their Poetic Motormouth Road Trip
to the enchanted land of New Jersey,
where they plan to stand
in the circular spotlight glow
and slam words into the microphone.

Alon

and begin their Poetic Motormouth Road Trip
to the enchanted land of New Jersey,
where they plan to stand
in the circular spotlight glow
and slam words into the microphone.

Along
Mary
Jun 14, 2008 rated it liked it
I can't really pass up a juvy book offering two newly-graduated slam poets from the absolute boonies on a cross-country road trip, and this book did deliver that, along with some great lines and unexpected fun. (Newark Tooth Fairy FTW.) However, there was more "easy rhyming" than I like, meaning too many rhymes-for-the-sake-of-rhymes in this girl's opinion. I would have liked a little more thought behind the construction of the verse, something I could shove in the face of slam-haters, the way I ...more
Rebecca Dumont
Apr 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
So this week I went on a little binge of really quick reads. This book was only written in the form of slam poetry, and I really enjoyed it. I am always impressed when an author can write a complete story using have the amount of words others would and have them rhyme at the same time. So I give props to Linda High for that!

The story was cute, two friends going on a road trip to follow their dreams and almost making it. But I find myself always wanting more. With this book being poetry, I know t
Salsabrarian
Feb 04, 2016 added it
Shelves: ya, novel, poetry, new, york, city
Laura Crapper gets an e-mail advertising a poetry slam in New Jersey. Having just graduated from high school and looking for adventure beyond her father's mobile home, Laura (renamed Sister Slam) and her best friend Twig hit the road. A poetry slam appearance at Tavern on the Green gets them noticed in the Village Voice. Slam invitations around NYC follow. When Laura's father has a heart attack, they return to Pennsylvania. Some of the repetitive rhyme structures annoyed me.
Lisa
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
It took a bit of time for me to adjust to eh rhythm of the book, but once I did, I enjoyed both the experience of reading it and the story. Yes, parts are far out, fantastical, unlikely, but this is a book about someone escaping a sad existence. Even if she had awakened at the end to find out it was a dream, it is still a good story. High school is tough on girls, and Jake reminded me of a dear friend from high school. Every high school girl should find her Jake.
Debra
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
The style of the writing, cover and hook all had great potential. The content of the story fell short of matching the possibilities. Some good messages about loving yourself the way you are and having a dream and following through with it. Two small town girls vow to hit the big city with dreams of entering a poetry slam contest. Even though they fail to win it, their adventure to New York on a wing and a prayer ends up unrealistically successful beyond their wildest imagination.
Andrea Cleland
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Unrealistic plot line and an annoying protagonist make this a less than thrilling read. There were some good lines: We preach the letters of/ the alphabet, and how they/ can save you, if you/ combine them just right. I love the phrase "we reeked of rhyme." But these moments were few and far between.
Julia
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
This wasn't a terrible book exactly, it was just a laughably unrealistic fairytale about an overweight, average girl and a rich, model-looking boy falling in love and their dreams coming true and they lived happily ever after. But, the concept was a good one, I suppose. It was inspiring with it's "follow your dreams" message.
Lizzie Gaga
May 28, 2010 rated it liked it
To be Frank, which I'm not, this was really unrealistic, and I wasn't crazy about it. Though it was fairly inspiring. There wasn't exactly depth in the characters, I don't think. More so, they were basic constructs of stereotypical characters. It took me less than a day to read, but it wasn't really that bad.
Drakie
May 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Reviewed here on my blog.

Not much to say about this one. The first books in prose that I've read in a long time. Not bad, basic Cinderella story.
Allison
Apr 17, 2011 marked it as gave-up-on
Sigh. I had such high hopes for a book comprised of a road tripa nd poetry. But it fell flat for me and I can't finish it.
Iman
Jun 23, 2009 added it
ilove this book laura/sister slam went to new jersey to be in a poetry slam and on the way she was in a lot of mess
Janet
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
A very different verse novel. Can't say I loved it but it was funny and if I were still a HS English teacher or librarian, I think it would be a fun way to introduce and have a poetry slam.
Heather
Apr 04, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the trip this book took me on. I liked the friend relationship but was disappointed in the end. It seemed too easy.
Cheyenne R.
Sep 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
it was great! I think if your a girl you will LIKE IT. if you like hot boys there is one in this book!!!!
Michele
And run me to the nearest Dairy Queen
Sarah Mae
Dec 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: could-not-finish
Too much rhyme gives me a pain in my brain.
Richelle
Mar 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: novels-in-verse
It was decent.
Crystal
Really easy read. Loved how much it rhymed. Good read.
Mar 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Not very realistic and I didn't love it all that much.
Anna
Jun 20, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna by: Boundless Readers
Cool concept, neat cover, but terrible execution. This book was a mess. And that's me being nice.

I totally get why the rating is so low...
Jess
Aug 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Written in poem form so you have to pay attention to follow it, but the story was interesting and not quite as predictable as I thought it would be.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Who Will Tell My Brother?
  • Jimi & Me
  • Kissing Tennessee: and Other Stories from the Stardust Dance
  • The Taking of Room 114
  • Counting Back From Nine
  • Capricious (Ella #2)
  • Splintering
  • Sister Heart
  • My Name Is Jason. Mine Too.: Our Story. Our Way.
  • Almost Forever
  • Pearl Verses the World
  • Local News: Stories
  • Family
  • Zane's Trace
  • Slide or Die (Drift X, #1)
  • Hold On Tight (Insiders, #5)
  • Hazing Meri Sugarman