Start by marking “Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Veterans, Boomers, Xers, Nexters in Your Workplace” as Want to Read:

Veterans...Baby Boomers...GenXers ...Nexters. Mix them all together, and what do you get? Sometimes disaster! Here are fresh insights and practical solutions for easing the inevitable conflicts of today's age- and values-diverse workplace, where people just don't see work (or life) the same way.

"They have no work ethic."

"So I told my boss, 'If you're looking for loyalty,
Published October 11th 1999 by Amacom (first published October 1st 1999)

Start your review of Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Veterans, Boomers, Xers, Nexters in Your Workplace
Dorene
Mar 27, 2011 rated it liked it
This well-written book is formatted in such a way that it can be read cover to cover, or picked apart by section. I like this approach, and I particularly like the end of chapter/section breakdowns that focus on how to best motivate, develop, and manage each generational group.

The only thing that is a "con" for me regarding this book is its age. Written in 2000, it does cannot give full treatise to Generation Y (here referred to as "Nexters"), nor can it address the newest generation to join
Tracey
Oct 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
While not the best nonfiction book I have ever read, it was very interesting. Unfortnately it was writen in 2000 so I had to go on their website to really learn about what they call the "Nexter" generation though. Worth reading if your workplace involves people from various generations working together (more business focused though.)
Tina Zellman
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Gave insight into age diversity and generational differences in today's work environment. Important to understand in order to effectively impact teamwork, productivity, enhanced culture, etc.
Mary Jo
May 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Helpful and enlightening. Needed the information about GenXers. I'm a boomer and my daughter is a nexter so have those nailed. GenXers were a blank page and am supervising one.
Shannon
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really liked it and recommend it for writers at all levels.
Annmarie
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
loved it explained several things.
OhioRedBird
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Good for it's time. There is a revision I will read but this one is almost twenty years old so out of date.
Sherri
Mar 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cic
This is a far cry from putting gen xers in a positive light. It seems the other generations have something positive to contribute, but in the writers' opinion, we somehow are skeptical, unimpressed, and reluctant to commit (pg 155). If someone introduced me at work and said I had these qualities, I would be highly offended. How about getting to know someone as an individual rather than a (negative) stereotype? Ah, but there again is just a gen xer asking one of their many annoying questions. I'm ...more
Sherry
Oct 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I know it said "workplace" in the title, but the definition of that was more limited than I would have liked, considering that I am a public school teacher and can't help but think of the three generations currently teaching at my school. In any event, I fear for the state of education when all of us Boomers are gone!
Margaret Wallace
Aug 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
So that explains it. Now I get it. Not all generations are alike and should not be analyzed through the same myopic lens.
Rob Salkowitz
Angel Oakley
May 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• SmartTribes: How Teams Become Brilliant Together
  • Tuesday Morning Coaching ... Eight Simple Truths to Boost Your Career and Your Life
  • It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For: Why Every Extraordinary Business is Driven by Purpose
  • Click: The Magic of Instant Connections
  • The Three Rules: How Exceptional Companies Think
  • Leadership Transformed: How Ordinary Managers Become Extraordinary Leaders
  • Bold: How to Go Big, Create Wealth and Impact the World
  • Teamwork 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • Great Work: How to Make a Difference People Love
  • Find Out Anything From Anyone, Anytime
  • It's Not Just Who You Know: Transform Your Life (and Your Organization) by Turning Colleagues and Contacts into Lasting, Genuine Relationships
  • How to Change Minds: The Art of Influence without Manipulation
  • Fearless Leadership: How To Overcome Behavioral Blind Spots And Transform Your Organization
  • Power Listening: Mastering the Most Critical Business Skill of All
  • The Business of Belief: How the World's Best Marketers, Designers, Salespeople, Coaches, Fundraisers, Educators, Entrepreneurs and Other Leaders Get Us to Believe
  • Brick by Brick: How LEGO Rewrote the Rules of Innovation and Conquered the Global Toy Industry
  • Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage