Start by marking “Hope of Earth (Geodyssey, #3)” as Want to Read:
Hope of Earth (Geodyssey, #3)

Hope of Earth (Geodyssey #3)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  680 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
In Isle of Woman and Shame of Man, the firs two volumes of the monumental Geodyssey saga, bestselling author Piers Anthony chronicles the triumphs and tragedies of two remarkable families reborn again and again in some of the most turbulent eras of human history.

Now, with Hope of Earth, Anthony brings us a stirring epic that ranges from our ancient beginnings in Africa's G
Published March 15th 1998 by Tor Fantasy (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Hope of Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hope of Earth

Ruth Soz
May 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I've never been a big fan of science fiction, but this is definitely an exception. Such an interesting concept. Spanning over millions of years, each book involves a theme and a single set of characters living life through several diffent time periods throughout world history. Although very entertaining and enjoyable, I found myself learning a bit too.
Ande
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: piers-anthony
This series simply amazes me! It just shows what a fantastic storywriter Piers is! His level of research in mind boggling.
Kristen Coffin
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
"We all are as we are."

I can't explain how much I adore this series. We combine romance, adventure, reincarnation, history, and myth all into one rolling volume that literally transcends the ages. Boudica, Louis XIV, King Herod - all make appearances here. Plus the amazing tale of reincarnation as a group of individuals are reborn time and time again, meeting each other over and over, in different countries, times, and ranks, always trying to make the world a better place.
Anastacia
May 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I grew up a huge Piers Anthony fan, and I keep trying to remain one as an adult. I still do consider myself a fan, even though I'm always vastly disappointed when I read one of his books.

This is the 3rd book in the geodyssey saga. I've read all of them before, and this one is a reread. You can read the books in order or as a stand alone.

The premise sounds cool on paper - follow one family through history and see what happens. Anthony picks various events in history, explains a bit of back story
John
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third in Piers Anthony's Geodyssey series, and the fourth that I've read, and despite minor quibbles, it remains my favorite of his series. Anyone who has read my past reviews of Anthony's work will know that I prefer when he leans more heavily on sci-fi, less heavily on fantasy. In the Geodyssey series he successfully combines history, anthropology, and fictional elements into a fascinating portrait of human development throughout the ages. As in previous volumes, the characters her ...more
Chip
Jun 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Instead of inventing new characters for plot lines across history, what if you used the same characters over and over again? That way the author can spend less time in character development and more time exploring the period involved... kind of a Reader's Digest version of history. That's the basis behind the Geodyssey series, and Anthony has polished the device to near perfection. As a romp through time without time travel and all the paradoxii involved, this book is an okay read. The character ...more
Joey
Jun 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
These books are simply amazing. The concept sounds gimmicky, but it works quite well. The trilogy follows a family through the eons of human development. At the beginning, they are pre-human primates, and each chapter finds them evolving gradually through history and even (by the end of book 3) into our future. The story takes up generally where it left off, although the protagonists are in different times and sometimes places with each new chapter.

The result is a sweeping epic that examines wh
Thomas Quatrale
I liked the series, although it took me awhile to finish it.
What I liked:
- the History, which was obviously extensively researched.
- the conservation theme, showing Mankind's lack of concern for it over our history.
What I did not like so much:
- Dialog of the characters. At times, I found it difficult to believe they would speak in the pedantic manner that they did. Especially children in modern times.
- The Sex. I hesitate to mention this, but it is my honest opinion, so here goes: I'm no prude,
Merredith
this is the third book in the geodyssey saga, although you can read it all by itself. I read the first two when i was 16, so i was really happy to come across the next volume. these books follow a set of people as they live their lives, but through a time spanning from the beginning of humans till the near future. In all of this time, these characters only age probably 10 yrs or so. Like the others, it was really really interesting, and i zoomed through the book. I love learning about the histor ...more
Crystal
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I really liked this book. Actually I like the whole series so far. This one was interesting in that the characters strayed from the "norm" for the society. That made for some intriguing episodes. I also liked how the family chose to stay together as a whole unit. No matter what happened or where they had to go, the family supported each other. I thought that was as important a theme as the history. I would definitely recommend this one, and the series, for anyone who likes historical fantasy / ...more
Jeremiah Johnson
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
There is almost no overarching storyline in this book making it just a collection of random chapters. Most of the chapters star a different set of characters than the previous one. This makes for a relatively dull read.
Also, most of the history in this book is sub-par to that in the previous books in the series.
Jessica
In this book there is a character who has Tourette's Syndrome WHO IS CALLED TOURETTE. There's too much of that kind of foolishness for this to be a good book.
Redtaboo
Nov 08, 2011
  • A Very Strange Trip
  • The Sea Hag
  • Call Down the Stars
  • In Other Worlds (Radix, #2)
  • Time Scout (Time Scout, #1)
  • The Eternal Savage: Nu of the Neocene
  • Wolves of the Dawn
  • The Stars are Also Fire (Harvest of Stars, #2)
  • On the Other Side (Tales of Valdemar)
  • One King's Way (Hammer and the Cross, #2)
  • Poisoned Kisses (Mythica #3)
  • In the Shadow of the Oak King (Dragon's Heirs, #1)
  • Emperor (Time's Tapestry, #1)
  • Snow: The Prologue to Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, part of #9)
  • In a Wild Wood (Wild, #2)
  • The Wood Boy / The Burning Man
  • The Rebel Prince

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony

Geodyssey (5 books)
  • Isle of Woman (Geodyssey, #1)
  • Shame of Man (Geodyssey, #2)
  • Muse of Art (Geodyssey, #4)
  • Climate of Change (Geodyssey, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Lathe of Heaven
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    $9.99 $1.99
  • King of Thieves
  • Area 51 (Area 51, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Parable of the Sower (Earthseed)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Mission (Area 51, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mongoliad (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 1)
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Perfection (Finding Paradise #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sphinx (Area 51, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rewinder (Rewinder Series Book 1)
  • Master of Formalities
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Grail (Area 51, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Excalibur (Area 51, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Into the Black (Odyssey One, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Devotion (Finding Paradise, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Dystopia Chronicles (Atopia, #2)
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
  • Once Was a Time
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Truth (Area 51, #7)
  • The Bird Eater
  • Ruined
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Exo (Exo #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Nosferatu (Area 51, #8)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poor Man's Fight (Poor Man's Fight, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After, #10.5)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Palace Job (Rogues of the Republic #1)
  • Slaughterhouse-Five
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Oddfits
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Imago (Xenogenesis, #3)
    $6.99 $1.99