Start by marking “Wizards at War” as Want to Read:
Wizards at War

Wizards at War

(Young Wizards #8)

Nita and Kit return from their wizardly holiday, looking forward to getting back to their everyday routine. But there's trouble brewing. A strange darkness of the mind and heart is about to befall the older wizards of the world, stealing away their power. Soon, the young wizards of Earth and many other planets find themselves forced to defend wizards and nonwizards alike a ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Wizards at War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wizards at War

Dixie Conley
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I cried so much over this book, you don't even know. The author does the unforgivable -- she messes with the dog. But then all is put right at the end. Yes, this is a SPOILER, but one that I think should be mandatory in all works of fiction where dogs are endangered. The dog is all right in the end! Doesn't matter if civilization as we know has been destroyed, so long as the dog's okay.

Anyway, this book is about all life in the universe coming to an end due to the ever increasing exp
Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~
After my disappointment in Wizard's Holiday and the cliffhanger ending that led into this book, I wasn't sure what I would get or how I would like it. Well, I am now officially protesting only being allowed to give a book five stars. This deserve every star ever born! This was phenomenal, and a definite one to read with a box of tissues close at hand. There will be sad tears and happy tears alike.

I'm really impressed with how Duane managed to turn Roshaun's character around. Not that he stops
Scurra
Jun 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It's hard to say things about this one without spoiling it - especially as the completely unexpected resolution is genuinely heart-breaking but far more so if you don't know about it.

But there are some brilliantly unsettling bits quite apart from that. The scene with Tom and Nita is very effective, as are the equivalent ones on the alien planets, and the section in the Throne Room.

And not forgetting the enjoyably tense climax (which involves no less than three Deus ex Mac
Vicki (The Wolf's Den)
If Dairine's computer's incessant chanting of 'Uh-oh' are any indication, there's about to be trouble.

When Tom and Carl ask to come over, Nita, Kit, Dairine and their guests hope it's just a normal house call. Maybe a little debrief of why there were suddenly no higher-ranking wizards around last week (during the events of Wizard's Holiday)? But surely nothing earth-shattering after all the work they just went through, right?

Wrong.

A malevolent blackness is pus
Sarah (CoolCurryBooks)
Wow, this book was intense.

Remember how I complained that in the seventh book of The Young Wizard series the plot took forever to take off? The eighth book pulls no punches, and the tension’s there from the very first chapter.

You definitely need to have read the prior books in the series (start with So You Want to Be a Wizard) before picking up Wizards at War, which builds upon the prior books, reintroduces characters, and starts almost immediately where the last book lef
Melissa
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I hadn’t read any of Diane Duane’s Young Wizards novels in years, and then, while cleaning up for Christmas, I found book seven, which a friend had given me months before. I read it, then had to re-read books 1-6, and then re-read book seven. Then, while my husband was away, I ordered books eight and nine.

The thing I love about Duane’s series is that while it’s technically a young adult series, or even meant for kids younger than middle school, it’s deep enough to appeal to adults as
EAL
May 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
When I found this book at my library, I was ecstatic. The Young Wizards series has a fine tradition of excellence which was well carried on in this book. Functional magic is a beautiful thing. For specifics, I found the plot perfectly paced, the characters wonderfully written as usual, the emotion elegantly and subtly handled, and...I'll stop. It's impossible for me to write an unbiased review of the Young Wizards series. But I would like to point out that Roshaun and Dairine's relationship coul ...more
Zach
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
So much stuff happened on this book, I don't know where to begin. I like how it basically continued where the last book left off. It flowed really well, and it kept the new exchange wizards in the story as well as bringing back some old acquaintances. It's cool to see how everything ties back together.

The scale of things in this story is much more vast than any of the previous. In some ways, the bug planet reminded me of the first book. A world that was lost to the Lone Power.
Brigitte
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Wizards at War, Nita and Kit team up with a set of the most widely ranged allies (and aliens) one can imagine to try and save not just Earth, but the entire universe.

Hoo boy. Let's try this without spoilers!

Well, I can say that I definitely enjoyed this part of the series a great deal more than the Wizard Holiday that came before. My biggest issue with the previous novel in this series that it took too long, for my tastes at least, before anything actually happened. Wi
Stefanie
Diane Duane needs to personally apologize to me for everything regarding Ponch as I feel personally attacked.
Luann
Feb 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Third time's the charm. This is at least the third time I've checked this out from the library. This time I finally finished it before returning it. The other times I would wait until the due date and then just return it because I hadn't started it or hadn't read more than a few pages. I really wanted to read it, but it felt so long and involved and I didn't have the time needed to devote to it. I know it's not a 1,000-page book or anything, but still quite long and not a book I wanted to rush t ...more
Victoria
May 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Possibly the most epic and whirlwind Young Wizards book yet.

The strange goings-on in the universe are coming to a head. Entropy seems to be forcing space to expand at a dangerous rate, and a weird dark entity is being spotted in the far reaches of the galaxy. The Lone Power is obviously up to something...but what?

Worst of all, the expansion is causing Senior wizards everywhere to lose their powers...and eventually their memories. Without their advice and experience, it literally is
Joan
OK, I get that this is war against the Lone Power. I get that war is serious. But does Duane have to kill off popular characters in every single book? I'll admit that this was a decent book in spite of my rating. However, it is unable to stand alone due to trying to use virtually every single character that has appeared in this series. And I did not like the way death apparently has to appear in each and every title lately. I suspect Duane is trying to get through to teens just how special life ...more
Jen
Dec 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
I have finally caught up with this series! I don't know if that's exciting or depressing.

This book is much longer than the other books in the series and, accordingly, deals with a much more complicated and detailed plot than in the beginning of the series. It takes place immediately after book 7 and contains most of the same "extras".

The interactions between the characters felt like I was watching something real - something unscripted. It captured my attention and didn't let go. Sti
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another great installment in the series. I wasnt down with everything in the book (did giant bugs really need misogynistic gender roles?) but I love all the characters and the emotional aspects of the story are very effective. I liked seeing a bit more of Dairine and her relationship with her wizardry, and also found a lot of funny parts even with the threats the characters are facing. Also Nita is a badass and its great.
Kathleen Dixon
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This series ranks among my absolute favourites in magic for kids. There is adventure a-plenty, lovely occasional moments of humour, terrific relationships, brilliant aliens, and stunning descriptions of the magic. I probably said this when I reviewed the previous book in the series (and/or the one before, etc.) but the magic is so intelligently written - beautifully thought through with both lyrical and scientific/ mathematical aspects. Such a pleasure to read.
Kathleen
All the major players come out to help as wizardry starts disappearing from the world. Tom and Carl without the memory of anything but the mundane was utterly tragic. Ponch, the dog, may have tried to steal the show, but my real hero is Kit's sister Carmela. She doesn't need wizardry, just a curling iron.

This is a fun series. I highly recommend it, especially for young adult readers.
rixx
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it
While there was a lot of action, the book still dragged on and on for me. I liked the recurring characters, and even the resolution, but I didn't care for the pacing, and while the dangers and risks sounded dire, they didn't feel like it. Nice parts, but a bit meh overall.
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Still very good, but this time I thought the ending was a little too drawn out and a few of the final events didn't hit me as hard. Nevertheless, great cast of characters and I loved all their interactions as they attempt to save the universe one more time.
Cheyenne
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this addition to the series. It was significantly longer than all the previous books so far (although it looks like the rest of them are this long, as well) and it gave me a little bit of a book hangover, which was a welcome relief since I wasn't as impressed with the previous two installments.

This book brings together a lot of the characters from various earlier books in the series for one huge, high-stakes adventure that I think will be hard to top. As far as complaints, my m
Julianna
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Honestly, although I love Duane's Young Wizard series, each time I read through them I find I have a hard time getting through the books after number 5. It's not so much that they are bad, they just don't grip me right away like her earlier ones did.

As for this book in particular, I didn't really find any wow factor to it. I think it has to do with the two separate climaxes to the book. The first one, which seems to be the focus of most of the book, ends significantly before the end of the book
Dan'l Danehy-oakes
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Young Wizards" book 8.

Senior wizards were not available to help fix the Sun in book 7.

It turns out that this is because something really big is wrong with the Universe. A surge of dark matter, called the Pullulus, is distorting space. Stars are dying, and wizardry itself is being warped. Adult wizards are not only losing their power but forgetting that it was ever real.

Can this be some ploy of the Lone Power?

Nita and company determine that there i
Nathan Dehoff
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While looking for things to read recently, I remembered I'd never finished the Young Wizards series. The penultimate book brings together elements from all of the previous ones in sort of a grand battle for the universe. Ronan, the Irish boy who carries the Archangel Michael inside him; and the alien wizards from Wizard's Holiday play significant roles, as does Kit's dog Ponch. The Lone Power (the series' name for the Devil, who is the creator of entropy) is speeding up the expansion of the universe, causing ...more
Susan
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Took me a little longer to get through this one (I think it's the last in the series.) It is much longer than the others, but just as interesting; although I did find it easier to put down occasionally. There are several story arcs to follow, since besides Nita, Kit, and Dairine, there are lots of other young wizards involved. The three 'exchange students' from Wizard's Holiday are still here, Ronan from A Wizard Abroad arrives, and Kit's sister Carmela even gets involved in the war for the univ ...more
Deanna
Jul 28, 2019 added it
This book was steady and easy to follow. I have been having trouble with my eyes so it took months to get through this 552 page book. The great thing was no matter how many days it was between reads I had no problem knowing exactly what the story was and what was going on. It made this long stretch so much easier.
The story is better than one of her earlier books, more compelling, more disheartening, but still easy to follow and remember. Diane Duane is a great story teller, her stories are
Emma
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Some of the chapters in this book are simply way too long! One chapter was literally 80 pages. Like isn’t this a kids book? I don’t even have the patience to sit and read 80 pages of one chapter without wondering when it’s going to end, since with longer chapters I generally take a break after just one.

Aside from that, this book is pretty similar to the others, not exactly enthralling because of that, but enjoyable! The last couple chapters are particularly exciting of course. :)
Joe ST
May 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this one very much ran into the universe-scale world-ending thing that isn't anywhere close to being as good as small, tight, effective storytelling. and I very much ran up against the unconvincing inherent evil of the big bad, most probably because I'm (ever so slightly) more cognisant of the science thats being used as bad? hopefully the next two will be smaller scale
Monique
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
As with all the Young Wizards books, this one has a few weak spots but is generally and genuinely a good read. It's definitely a series you should read from the beginning, there aren't really any standalone books and this one even less than the others, but I felt this book did a good job of balancing the weight of a series this long with the need to move forward in the story.
Rachel
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an emotional roller coaster of a book. An EXCELLENT part of a series I love more with each passing book. Absolutely devastating at times, and hopeful and uplifting at others. This book is also exceptionally expansive and well thought out. Great work.
Alix
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It's fine, I didn't need to be punched (Ponch-ed) in the feelings.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Shatterglass (The Circle Opens, #4)
  • The Fisher of Bones
  • Waywalkers
  • Cybermage (Worldweavers, #3)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Velveteen vs. The Multiverse (Velveteen vs., #2)
  • Heir Apparent (Rasmussem Corporation, #2)
  • A Sending of Dragons (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #3)
  • Summer in Orcus
  • The Road to Inconceivable
  • Deep Secret (Magids, #1)
  • Second Sight (Circle of Three, #3)
  • Dead Reign (Marla Mason, #3)
Diane Duane has been a writer of science fiction, fantasy, TV and film for more than thirty years.
Besides the 1980's creation of the Young Wizards fantasy series for which she's best known, the "Middle Kingdoms" epic fantasy series, and numerous stand-alone fantasy or science fiction novels, her career has included extensive work in the Star Trek TM universe, and many scripts for live-action

Young Wizards (10 books)
  • So You Want to Be a Wizard
  • Deep Wizardry
  • High Wizardry (Young Wizards #3)
  • A Wizard Abroad
  • The Wizard's Dilemma
  • A Wizard Alone
  • Wizard's Holiday
  • A Wizard of Mars
  • Games Wizards Play
“How am I supposed to save the universe with all this noise?!” 40 likes
“You do have the idea of being ‘just good friends?’”
He gave her a sideways look. “For so high and honorable an estate,” Roshaun said, “ ‘just’ seems a poor modifier to choose.”
23 likes