Start by marking “Wizard's Holiday (Young Wizards, #7)” as Want to Read:
Wizard's Holiday (Young Wizards, #7)

Wizard's Holiday

(Young Wizards #7)

Rest and relaxation--that's what Nita thinks she's going to get when she and her partner-wizard Kit go on a wizardly "cultural exchange" program. But nothing about wizardry--not even vacation--is ever quite that simple!
Published June 1st 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Wizard's Holiday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wizard's Holiday

Start your review of Wizard's Holiday (Young Wizards, #7)
Victoria
May 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This has to be my favorite of the Young Wizards series, although others come close. The premise, the story, the characters, the places; everything Duane did fantastically in her other books gets stepped up a notch.

While Kit and Nita's journey was strange and eye-opening (and seeing the depths of the Lone One's ambiguous deviousness was fun--especially as a girl this time!) But it has to be admitted; it was the events with the foreign exchange wizards back on Earth that stole the show.

I like watc
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~
The first 70% of this wizard-exchange holiday was everything you'd expect of alien wizards visiting and getting to know other worlds and cultures: good, wacky fun; some clashing of worlds; and nice, relaxing kickback time at the beach. The last 30% proves that there's no such thing as a holiday for our poor wizards.

The pacing did feel a little off on this one, and with Nita and Kit's half of the story in particular, the resolution almost feels like it comes out of nowhere. I'm sure there are hin
Dixie Conley
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Another good book in this series. In this one, Nita and Kit go on holiday to a paradise planet where people live long, simple lives and die in peace, remaining afterwards as whispers that comfort those left behind. Only problem? They've permanently locked themselves in this state. They can't evolve any further and they need to.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, three alien wizards are visiting. Yes, it's all a big student exchange program. One's a tree, one's a gigantic bug and the other's a stuck up
Nancy
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mark-reads, year-2017
Dear Diane Duane,

Who told you you could do that? Because you shouldn't be able to do that. Just sayin'.

Much love (and fist-shaking),
Nancy
TerryC
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was an exception book just like the rest of the series. I definitely would recommend it.
Cheyenne
While I enjoyed reading this book, I had some very mixed feelings about one of the two main plots in it. I also got a bit confused by some of the details.

The main idea of the story is that Nita and Kit end up partaking in what was explained to be a sort of wizard exchange program; wizards visit other cultures, and in return, their home is used to house exchange wizards from other planets. However, the math of it didn't make any sense to me. I figured Nita and Kit would go to a home where one or
Maximum
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not my favorite book in the series, but honestly just a solid read. Great progression and just more of this world that I'm attached to. ...more
Joan
This was different in some ways. It was nice to see Dairinne being smacked down by the planetary wizards. And by her coworkers. However, while her ego may have been cut down some, I don't think it affected her basic self confidence. Nita and Kit are sent off on a "holiday" that of course, turned out to be anything but an actual holiday .Dairinne's wizardly guests turned out to be just different enough to drive her nuts....she had to stop one in all innocence from eating part of their house and l ...more
Rob
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I think this marks the point where the series, or perhaps Nita and Kit themselves, begin to mature. Before I begin the spoiler part of this review, I'll say this much: nobody gets a holiday. Bet you'd never guess that

(view spoiler)
Luann
Feb 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
This series just gets better and better. Diane Duane has some pretty deep things to say about entropy and choice which I found very interesting and will continue to ponder. Most fantasy series don't go this deep while still staying this entertaining and enjoyable to read. I also enjoyed going back and forth between Nita & Kit's story with Quelt on Alaalu and Dairine's story at home with Sker'ret, Filif, and Roshaun. I don't always enjoy books that go back and forth between two different stories, ...more
Zach
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
One of my favorites in the series so far. It's funny to see something as ordinary as a student exchange program be entirely different with wizardry. Who would expect a giant centipede, a talking Christmas tree, and a prince to be lounging in their living room?

This book probably was the funniest so far. Some of it was in the dialogue, and some in the situation. Picture the aforementioned Christmas tree wearing a baseball cap.

On thing that I thought was cool was how the author developed Roshaun's
MB (What she read)
A re-read to prep me for new book coming out soon. I tend to forget just how good Diane Duane's "Young Wizards" series is! Highly recommended for all children and young adults who like to read fantasy.

(I personally think this series is better than Harry Potter and almost on par with Dianne Wynne Jones. Be sure to start with the first one So You Want to Be a Wizard and to read them in order.)
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Dairine's dealing with no longer being the kid wizard prodigy, Kit and Nita feel like real grown ups now, and the wizard cultural exchange program is a brilliant premise. Plus every scene between Roshaun and Carmela is PURE GOLD. ...more
Rosie
May 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing my read through of Diane Duane's Young Wizards series, this was my least favorite so far. It was presented as sort of a "exchange student" plot where Kit and Nita go to a fabulously peaceful beach planet, and Dairine stays at home, helping her dad host 3 wizards from another planet for a "holiday" on earth.

Of course, since this is a book, I already knew that the "holidays" would not be without complications, no surprise there.

The Kit/Nita plot would've made a better short story than t
Amber
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I do have a rather love/hate relationship with this series and this is one of the books that I loved. Although I have a few minor annoyances (chapter length and Carmela) I overall really liked this book, especially as it's aimed towards a much younger audience than me and yet gets so much into it and gives a generally good message to it's readers.

So, in this edition to the series Nita and Kit get to go on holiday, but being wizards there's no such thing as a break from wizardry, everywhere they
Brigitte
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I enjoyed the premise of the book, I feel that there are a few too many things that were lacking to give this story a better rating.

First the things I liked. I loved how very varied the alien species are throughout these series. They're not just humanoids with extra bits tacked on and with the widely different species, the dangers and fears and cultures are tailored to show that. I particularly enjoyed the parts where human culture was shown as kind of terrifying to other species.

And Ponch
Heidi
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I found this instalment of the Young Wizards series a bit confusing. There were two parallel but mostly unrelated stories, and the author spent a lot of time setting up the scene for both stories. But then when the action finally happened, it went so fast that I wasn't sure what actually happened.

The plot involves a foreign exchange programme...on an interplanetary level. Nita and Kit travel halfway across the universe to stay with a host family in another solar system, while three other wizard
Dan'l Danehy-oakes
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Young Wizards" book 7.

If a people is stagnant, does an outsider have the right, or even an obligation, to disturb the waters and make them move forward?

Nita's sister Dairine applies, without permission, for a sort of interstellar exchange program. Her punishment when caught is that Dairi is restricted to the Solar system, while Nita and Kit (the titular Young Wizards) take the trip.

The planet Alaalu seems a paradise, a place where the people rejected the Lone Power and Its gift of entropy. The
Susan
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dairine signs herself and Nita up for an 'excursion', but gets in trouble for it and is grounded. But Nita and Kit are allowed to take advantage of it for a trip to Alaalu, and Ponch goes too. Since it is an exchange program, Dairine is left at home to cope with the three alien 'exchange students' assigned to them. Initially with hilarious consequences, but later things become serious when the Sun begins to show signs of major problems. Meanwhile on Alaalu, the family with which Kit and Nita are ...more
John Kirk
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title is obviously a reference to "Busman's Holiday", the idea being that people ostensibly go away on holiday and then wind up doing the same thing that they'd do at home. That's slightly unfortunate for the characters, but good for us as readers.

This book introduces several new characters, but it works well: they all get enough time to stand out and become memorable. There are also 2 plots going on, with a thematic link but no real interaction between them.

(view spoiler)
Kathleen Dixon
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic, middle-fiction
A 'Wizard's Holiday' is one of those holidays where you think you're going to get some lovely rest and relaxation but then discover that you're there for another purpose. So Nita and Kit gradually find out that the beautiful planet, out on the outer spiral of the galaxy and as far away from Earth as you can possibly go, is in need of their wizardly skills. And back on Earth, where Dairine and Dad are host to three alien wizards (it's a kind of exchange programme), it also transpires that their s ...more
Joe ST
May 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved the characters in this one, there was some hilarious moments that I am hoping for more of... but the pacing was off... maybe because I took a break before finishing? but still it felt like so much build up for everything to get solved very quickly. I really enjoyed all the buildup but of the two premises, one was solved with seemingly no repercussions, and the other was (I don't want to say white-)saviourism "but things are broken here and we can fix it" followed by absolution through "b ...more
Gail
Nita's sister, also a wizard, has applied for a wizard exchange program-- without telling her dad. Which, since dad would be hosting wizards in return, earns her a grounding. She's confined to the solar system. But that leaves two places available in the program, so Kit and Nita are invited to go instead of Dairine, who will instead help host their guests. The planet they visit is lovely, but something seems to be missing. Back on earth, the visitors are fun and interesting-- at least the centip ...more
Matthew Samuels
Nov 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Kit and Nita go on holiday, and as you might expect, it’s not quite as restful as they’d hoped! In A Wizard’s Holiday, they participate in an exchange programme, while Dairine looks after three new houseguests coming the other way – and it’s not plain sailing either.

I quite liked this one, and it was good to see the cast of characters broadening. Dairine’s ‘crisis’ did come on a little suddenly, and Nita / Kit’s issues felt a little forced, but it was good to spend time with them all. The plot m
Mika
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5

This was enjoyable to return to. I really am attached to the world and after this reading slump it's nice to read in this world that I know.

I had no idea that we'd split the book between Plot A and Plot B, but actually by the end I was far more invested in Plot B. XD

I do think the next book has potential to be a 5 star tho. I look forward to it.
Annette McIntyre
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic, juvenile
Dariane wants to go to a different planet and sneakily enrolls in a programme to do so. But because she broke the rules she gets grounded - but Nita and Kit are allowed to go instead. What follows becomes a holiday unlike any other.
Michael
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
A slower build than others in the series, but honestly: Duane offers some of the most interesting theological thought experiment fiction out there, and I really enjoyed this one -- besides the fact that all the characters and their relationships feel three-dimensional and real.
Mai
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book, not that I'd expect anything less. Love All the new characters! ...more
LadyThompson
I liked it, it felt like a mystery/ horror/ fantasy.
Logan Harris
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I like this series... It's a little... young for me, but this is a quarantine read, not looking for a bunch of depth... just looking for something simple to pass the time. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Realms of the Gods (Immortals, #4)
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
  • Shatterglass (The Circle Opens, #4)
  • Abhorsen (Abhorsen, #3)
  • Dark Lord of Derkholm (Derkholm, #1)
  • Hawksong (The Kiesha'ra, #1)
  • Cold Fire (The Circle Opens, #3)
  • Heart's Blood (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • Year of the Griffin (Derkholm, #2)
  • Page (Protector of the Small, #2)
  • A Sending of Dragons (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #3)
  • Muted
  • Prince Neptune: Poetry and Prose
  • The Merlin Conspiracy (Magids, #2)
  • Deep Secret (Magids, #1)
  • Greenwitch (The Dark is Rising, #3)
  • Twilight Hauntings (Enchanter's Child #1)
  • The Boggart
See top shelves…
Diane Duane has been a writer of science fiction, fantasy, TV and film for more than forty years.

Besides the 1980's creation of the Young Wizards fantasy series for which she's best known, the "Middle Kingdoms" epic fantasy series, and numerous stand-alone fantasy or science fiction novels, her career has included extensive work in the Star Trek TM universe, and many scripts for live-action and an

Young Wizards (10 books)
  • So You Want to Be a Wizard (Young Wizards #1)
  • Deep Wizardry (Young Wizards #2)
  • High Wizardry (Young Wizards #3)
  • A Wizard Abroad (Young Wizards #4)
  • The Wizard's Dilemma (Young Wizards #5)
  • A Wizard Alone (Young Wizards #6)
  • Wizards at War (Young Wizards, #8)
  • A Wizard of Mars (Young Wizards #9)
  • Games Wizards Play (Young Wizards #10)

News & Interviews

“Kit," said a female voice, "what's wrong with the fridge? All the food's gone. No, wait, there's a really ugly alien in here disguised as a leaky lettuce. Hey, I guess I shouldn't be rude to it; it's a visitor. Welcome to our planet, Mr. Alien!"
This was followed by some muffled remark that Nita couldn't make out, possibly something Kit was saying. A moment later, Kit's sister Carmela's voice came out of Nita's refrigerator again. "Hola, Nita, are your phone bills getting too big? This is a weird way to deal with it...”
7 likes
What are you thinking of? Dairine demanded. Let me help you—
You need to stay here and let me do this, Roshaun said.
But if I can just—
You can’t, Roshaun said, looking at her with that infuriating, amused expression. But then that’s what “Guarantor” means. If the world can’t pay the price…if the people around you can’t pay the price…you do.
The price? No! Dairine said. No! You don’t even like my little planet—you said so—
No, Roshaun said. Which is possibly the best of all possible reasons to do this.
He stepped out of the wizardry.
“No,” Dairine whispered. “No! Roshaun!
Roshaun vanished into the fire.”
6 likes