Start by marking “Wizard's Holiday (Young Wizards, #7)” as Want to Read:
Wizard's Holiday (Young Wizards, #7)

Wizard's Holiday (Young Wizards #7)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  6,301 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
Rest and relaxation--that's what Nita thinks she's going to get when she and her partner-wizard Kit go on a wizardly "cultural exchange" program. But nothing about wizardry--not even vacation--is ever quite that simple!
Published June 1st 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Wizard's Holiday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wizard's Holiday

Victoria
May 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This has to be my favorite of the Young Wizards series, although others come close. The premise, the story, the characters, the places; everything Duane did fantastically in her other books gets stepped up a notch.

While Kit and Nita's journey was strange and eye-opening (and seeing the depths of the Lone One's ambiguous deviousness was fun--especially as a girl this time!) But it has to be admitted; it was the events with the foreign exchange wizards back on Earth that stole the show.

I like watc
Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~
The first 70% of this wizard-exchange holiday was everything you'd expect of alien wizards visiting and getting to know other worlds and cultures: good, wacky fun; some clashing of worlds; and nice, relaxing kickback time at the beach. The last 30% proves that there's no such thing as a holiday for our poor wizards.

The pacing did feel a little off on this one, and with Nita and Kit's half of the story in particular, the resolution almost feels like it comes out of nowhere. I'm sure there are hin
Joan
This was different in some ways. It was nice to see Dairinne being smacked down by the planetary wizards. And by her coworkers. However, while her ego may have been cut down some, I don't think it affected her basic self confidence. Nita and Kit are sent off on a "holiday" that of course, turned out to be anything but an actual holiday .Dairinne's wizardly guests turned out to be just different enough to drive her nuts....she had to stop one in all innocence from eating part of their house and l ...more
Dixie Conley
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Another good book in this series. In this one, Nita and Kit go on holiday to a paradise planet where people live long, simple lives and die in peace, remaining afterwards as whispers that comfort those left behind. Only problem? They've permanently locked themselves in this state. They can't evolve any further and they need to.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, three alien wizards are visiting. Yes, it's all a big student exchange program. One's a tree, one's a gigantic bug and the other's a stuck up
Nancy
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mark-reads, 2017
Dear Diane Duane,

Who told you you could do that? Because you shouldn't be able to do that. Just sayin'.

Much love (and fist-shaking),
Nancy
TerryC
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was an exception book just like the rest of the series. I definitely would recommend it.
Rob
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I think this marks the point where the series, or perhaps Nita and Kit themselves, begin to mature. Before I begin the spoiler part of this review, I'll say this much: nobody gets a holiday. Bet you'd never guess that

(view spoiler)
Zach
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites in the series so far. It's funny to see something as ordinary as a student exchange program be entirely different with wizardry. Who would expect a giant centipede, a talking Christmas tree, and a prince to be lounging in their living room?

This book probably was the funniest so far. Some of it was in the dialogue, and some in the situation. Picture the aforementioned Christmas tree wearing a baseball cap.

On thing that I thought was cool was how the author developed Roshaun's
Luann
Feb 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
This series just gets better and better. Diane Duane has some pretty deep things to say about entropy and choice which I found very interesting and will continue to ponder. Most fantasy series don't go this deep while still staying this entertaining and enjoyable to read. I also enjoyed going back and forth between Nita & Kit's story with Quelt on Alaalu and Dairine's story at home with Sker'ret, Filif, and Roshaun. I don't always enjoy books that go back and forth between two different stor ...more
MB (What she read)
A re-read to prep me for new book coming out soon. I tend to forget just how good Diane Duane's "Young Wizards" series is! Highly recommended for all children and young adults who like to read fantasy.

(I personally think this series is better than Harry Potter and almost on par with Dianne Wynne Jones. Be sure to start with the first one So You Want to Be a Wizard and to read them in order.)
Erin
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My favorite out of the series by a honking mile--not that the others are bad, this one is just that good. It's not often when the A and B plots are almost equally as enjoyable, and the balance here is phenomenal (though I confess to liking Dari's story a bit more than Nita's, simply because I prefer--and relate to--Dari better than Nita). And the Sun Prince? Hoo-yeah.

**Wizard's Holiday, rated 14+, rated 5/5 stars.
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Dairine's dealing with no longer being the kid wizard prodigy, Kit and Nita feel like real grown ups now, and the wizard cultural exchange program is a brilliant premise. Plus every scene between Roshaun and Carmela is PURE GOLD.
Cheyenne
While I enjoyed reading this book, I had some very mixed feelings about one of the two main plots in it. I also got a bit confused by some of the details.

The main idea of the story is that Nita and Kit end up partaking in what was explained to be a sort of wizard exchange program; wizards visit other cultures, and in return, their home is used to house exchange wizards from other planets. However, the math of it didn't make any sense to me. I figured Nita and Kit would go to a home where one or
Brigitte
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I enjoyed the premise of the book, I feel that there are a few too many things that were lacking to give this story a better rating.

First the things I liked. I loved how very varied the alien species are throughout these series. They're not just humanoids with extra bits tacked on and with the widely different species, the dangers and fears and cultures are tailored to show that. I particularly enjoyed the parts where human culture was shown as kind of terrifying to other species.

And Ponch
Dan'l Danehy-oakes
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Young Wizards" book 7.

If a people is stagnant, does an outsider have the right, or even an obligation, to disturb the waters and make them move forward?

Nita's sister Dairine applies, without permission, for a sort of interstellar exchange program. Her punishment when caught is that Dairi is restricted to the Solar system, while Nita and Kit (the titular Young Wizards) take the trip.

The planet Alaalu seems a paradise, a place where the people rejected the Lone Power and Its gift of entropy. The
John Kirk
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title is obviously a reference to "Busman's Holiday", the idea being that people ostensibly go away on holiday and then wind up doing the same thing that they'd do at home. That's slightly unfortunate for the characters, but good for us as readers.

This book introduces several new characters, but it works well: they all get enough time to stand out and become memorable. There are also 2 plots going on, with a thematic link but no real interaction between them.

(view spoiler)
Katie
Mar 15, 2017
Mashael
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This was good, although I’m getting tired of the Wizard books the longer they go on. The one before this was really boring, so unless the next book is terribly exciting and has more character development, I don't know if I’ll read it. The new characters in this book were awesome though, and Dairine’s part of the story was exciting. I always thought Nita liked Kit, but this seems to be ignored in the book.
Vicki (The Wolf's Den)
Nita's ready for a vacation. A real vacation this time. Not something forced on her by her parents or The Powers That Be. At least Spring Break has arrived. Two whole weeks off from school, with nothing but voluntary wizardry to take up her time. Still, even that might be nice to get away from...

Good thing Dairine has done her research. Apparently there's a sort of Wizard Exchange-Program in place so that wizards can witness other species' techniques of wizardry without having to deal with the L
Coolcurry
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wizard’s Holiday is the seventh book in the Young Wizard series by Diane Duane, a YA fantasy series which starts with So You Want to Be a Wizard. I generally recommend reading the series in order. The plot of this installment is basically wizards’ student exchange program – with aliens! Nita and Kit head off to stay at a strange planet where everything seems like it should be perfect, but there’s a lingering sense of unease. Dairine plays host to three alien visitors.

““Uh, popi,” Kit said, “uh,
Rita C
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story itself was a good one, but I almost always find myself wanting more of an epilogue with these books. They just end too abruptly for my tastes. I want to hear Nita and Kit telling her family and Tom and Carl what happened on their trip, and I want to hear Dairine, their dad, and their guests telling Nita and Kit what they missed. I want to see Nita and Kit meeting their guests. I want reactions!
Julie Decker
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
After the events of the last few errantry assignments, Nita, Kit, and Dairine are pretty exhausted. Dairine decides to apply for a wizard's vacation without permission and gets grounded to the solar system; she can't go outside our little circle of planets. Bummer! but Nita and Kit (and the dog Ponch!) are accepted to go, and they're sent to the lovely world of Alaalu, where people are tall and sunburned-looking and the entire planet is basically a beach. Nita and Kit make their plans and get to ...more
Quartzen
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this back when it came out, but remembered very little of it. Reading a retrospective of the series (at online SFF magazine Strange Horizons) made me want to catch up on the last few entries, and this was suggested as a good point to step back in and catch up.

Dairine, wanting to get away from the tense atmosphere that still hangs in the Callahan household after the events of The Wizard's Dilemma, signs herself and Nita up for an exchange program that would send them halfway across the uni
Mariah
Note: this is the 7th in the Young Wizards series
Nita, Kit and Dairine are hoping for a break from the craziness of their lives. Dairine signs up for a wizardly intergalactic exchange program- Kit & Nita head for the planet Alaalu, while 3 wizards come to stay at with Dairine & her father. But this turns out to not be as much of a vacation as they'd hoped. Nita & Kit relax on the peaceful planet, getting to know the friendly family they stay with. But they slowly begin to realize tha
Lis Carey
Jan 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: f-sf
The latest in the Young Wizards series. Dairine, Nita, and their father are all still coping with the death of Mrs. Callahan in a previous book, and not doing it all that well yet. Dairine signs herself and Nita up for a wizards' cultural exchange program, unfortunately without first consulting Nita, their supervisory wizards, or their father. When the truth comes out, Mr. Callahan and the senior wizards ground Dairine. Nita and Kit go off on the cultural exchange program, while Dairine stays ho ...more
Kristen Coffin
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: misc
"There are moments in the lives of people, of nations, of cultures, of worlds, on which everything to come afterward hands, or turns – like the hinge of a door. If intervention comes at one moment, the door swings one way. If it comes a moment early, a moment late, the hinge swings another. And sometimes no intervention, regardless of its size, is enough to change the way the door swings."

For a minute, I thought this was going to be a light-hearted Young Wizards book, after the last two book's d
Kit
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Liz
Jun 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
So this one is marked as read before on Shelfari, but I'm almost positive this was my first read. These books fell off my radar at some point and I just never got around to finishing the series, well, catching up, really.

Anyway, another fine offering by Diane Duane. I like the fact that the books still feel innovative and fresh, even after such a long time and a somewhat repetitive story arc (though much better than most of fantasy).

I also find it interesting that they're moving towards cliffhan
Paul
Review written: sometime before May 1, 2015

Wizard's Holiday by Diane Duane

Why I read it: My book club’ll be reading it in the next year or two.

Rating: 3/5 [most of this doesn't apply anymore, but it's still pretty awkward and just not very good, though it does have its moments]

What I thought: An odd one, this. Aspects of the plot were either flatout ignored for great stretches of time after cropping up out of nowhere, or awkwardly introduced abruptly after said great stretches of time. The chara
Colleen
Jan 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, re-read, sf-humor
This might be the single most laugh-out-loud funny Young Wizards book. This book is ultimately a moment of lightness in the series between several much darker books, by design -- the plot revolves, in fact, around the characters finally 'taking a break.' Except, as wizards, you're never really NOT on duty... the title derives from the term Busman's Holiday, which, as the characters note by the end of the book, is an ironic one.

What work they do, though, is incidental to the largely-idyllic exper
  • Shatterglass (The Circle Opens, #4)
  • Conrad's Fate (Chrestomanci, #5)
  • The Mislaid Magician: or Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate, #3)
  • The Boggart (The Boggart, #1)
  • Spellspam (Worldweavers, #2)
  • Dragon's Blood (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #1)
Diane Duane has been a writer of science fiction, fantasy, TV and film for more than thirty years.
Besides the 1980's creation of the Young Wizards fantasy series for which she's best known, the "Middle Kingdoms" epic fantasy series, and numerous stand-alone fantasy or science fiction novels, her career has included extensive work in the Star Trek TM universe, and many scripts for live-action and a
More about Diane Duane...

Young Wizards (10 books)
  • So You Want to Be a Wizard (Young Wizards, #1)
  • Deep Wizardry (Young Wizards, #2)
  • High Wizardry (Young Wizards, #3)
  • A Wizard Abroad (Young Wizards, #4)
  • The Wizard's Dilemma (Young Wizards, #5)
  • A Wizard Alone (Young Wizards, #6)
  • Wizards at War (Young Wizards, #8)
  • A Wizard of Mars (Young Wizards, #9)
  • Games Wizards Play (Young Wizards, #10)
“Kit," said a female voice, "what's wrong with the fridge? All the food's gone. No, wait, there's a really ugly alien in here disguised as a leaky lettuce. Hey, I guess I shouldn't be rude to it; it's a visitor. Welcome to our planet, Mr. Alien!"
This was followed by some muffled remark that Nita couldn't make out, possibly something Kit was saying. A moment later, Kit's sister Carmela's voice came out of Nita's refrigerator again. "Hola, Nita, are your phone bills getting too big? This is a weird way to deal with it...”
6 likes
What are you thinking of? Dairine demanded. Let me help you—
You need to stay here and let me do this, Roshaun said.
But if I can just—
You can’t, Roshaun said, looking at her with that infuriating, amused expression. But then that’s what “Guarantor” means. If the world can’t pay the price…if the people around you can’t pay the price…you do.
The price? No! Dairine said. No! You don’t even like my little planet—you said so—
No, Roshaun said. Which is possibly the best of all possible reasons to do this.
He stepped out of the wizardry.
“No,” Dairine whispered. “No! Roshaun!
Roshaun vanished into the fire.”
5 likes