Start by marking “Anastasia Krupnik (Anastasia Krupnik, #1)” as Want to Read:
Anastasia Krupnik (Anastasia Krupnik, #1)

Anastasia Krupnik

(Anastasia Krupnik #1)

Anastasia's tenth year has some good things, like falling in love and really getting to know her grandmother, and some bad things, like finding out about an impending baby brother.
Published November 1st 1984 by Yearling (first published November 30th 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Anastasia Krupnik, please sign up.
Laura Szamreta This might be a good book for her to read, for while there are some sad events, they are tempered with finding the good in them, and the ending is a…moreThis might be a good book for her to read, for while there are some sad events, they are tempered with finding the good in them, and the ending is a happy one. (less)

Manybooks
I really do not know why I did not read this particular Lois Lowry book (or the entire Anastasia Krupnik series for that matter) as a teenager, when the series was current, was just being published. I so love mature little Anastasia with a vocabulary better than mine and self-direction enough to make her own decisions and lists (which are also kept up-to-date). And her parents are equally wonderful, giving their daughter lots of space and consideration, even with the new baby coming (and yes, th ...more
Jenne
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jf
It's weird, I didn't really think of these books as that funny when I was a kid. Anastasia reminds me a lot of myself at that age, so I probably just thought it seemed normal.

But now! I was reading this at lunch and I had to stop because I kept laughing and my co-workers were staring at me.

For example:
"Anastasia had a small pink wart in the middle of her left thumb. She found her wart very pleasing. It had appeared quite by surprise, shortly after her tenth birthday, on a morning when nothing el
Jess
Apr 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, juv
Rereading Anastasia is like revisiting a place that you didn't quite remember you'd been to, but as soon as you get there everything seems familiar. Mrs. Westvessel, Washburn Cummings, the lists, her mole, her changing relationship with her grandmother, her secret bad thoughts, her poetry outfit. It was all tucked away in some obscure part of my brain, waiting to be rediscovered. I reread the book a few years ago, for the first time since middle school, probably, and listening to it on audio bro ...more
Jerry
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Despite being thirty years old, I often read juvenile chapter books; I find them entertaining and engaging. Even ones I read as a kid have held up when I reread them in recent years.

However, I did not care for this book.

Why? The main problem is the protagonist; she is too unlikable and whiny. She goes from liking things to hating them to liking them again; can't she make up her mind? Add to that a usage of the s-word and a sexual description of the Catholic sign of the cross--seriously!--and thi
Rebecca McNutt
I enjoyed this book when I was ten years old myself. Now, not so much, but it's still a great coming-of-age novel that inspires young readers to get to know their elders before it's too late and to accept changes in the familiar family dynamics.
Carol
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My 7-year-old just read this, so I had to pick it up and and reread parts. It is even MORE awesome than I remembered. How I wish I were as cool a parent as Anastasia's parents.

Also, it inspired my daughter to write poetry. Terrible poetry, but still.
Jasmine
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just reread this. Such a delightful book, and even though it's copyrighted 1979, it barely feels dated. The only things that do feel dated is that there are things in it that would not fly in childrens books today (like Anastasia's parents letting her have a sip of their wine or beer, or the wonderful name that she comes up with for her unborn brother, which I will not spoil because I forgot it and it made me laugh out loud when I got there).
Jessica
Apr 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: realism, mg-fiction, audio
I haven't re-read this book since I was a child. Some thoughts:

1) As far as final lines go, "With mushrooms!" is a pretty great one.
2) I totally forgot how this book made me want to answer the phone by saying "For whom does this bell toll?" Ambition resumed.
3) I am feeling somewhat miffed that the sequels are not available on my library's streaming audio services. Were they even ever recorded? This is a truly unfortunate situation.

Sara Jane
May 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-lit-book-club
I read this for my book club where we reread books we read when we were younger, but this was the first time I'd ever read it. I wish I'd read it when I was 10 because of great lines like this: "I need to start worrying about making myself some memories" or this: "These are the most important things that happened the year that I was ten: I began to have a mercurial temperament." Or all of her wart references. This is such a smart, insightful book for kids, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, too.
Maryellen
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I was around this age, I wanted to be Anastasia so much! She was cool. She wore glasses like me. She didn't understand boys, just like me. As the series continued, I loved how quirky and interesting she was. My favorite was Anastasia, Ask Your Analyst, in which she got a bust of Sigmund Freud and used him as an actual therapist. Completely genious. As someone who was often misunderstood, I could relate to Anastasia on a completely different level!
Colin
Sep 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Um, a precocious girl who writes in a notebook all the time, likes lists and poetry, and uses words like jocund and indefatigable after looking them up in the dictionary, keeping a list of her favorite words in said notebook? No wonder I loved this as a child. Also, the parents cuss and are blase about it. I'm sure that delighted me as well.
Carrie
So I read this book aloud to my daughter and I had to gloss over some areas. There is a part where she is talking about a guy she likes and she's telling her friend about what Cosmo magazine says about how you know you are in love, one of the points is wanting to fulfill his fantasy's, Anastasia is a ten year old. Despite being dated, letting her drink the foam from her fathers beer, the mentioning of her dad drinking beer is something you don't see in many books today aimed at that age group, b ...more
Melinda
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The rare re-read of a childhood favorite that TOTALLY lives up to my memories of reading it originally. I read this aloud to Sofie and she loved it too. Anastasia's family remains the coolest. And there is no way any middle grade book today would get away with that One Ball Reilly punchline. Or a poetry professor dad who smokes and swears in class and lets his 10-yr-old sip the foam off his beer.
Beth Bonini
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
My oldest daughter adored the Anastasia series when she was in late elementary school, but strangely enough, I've just read the first novel in its entirety. I love the character of Anastasia: she is wholly original, an independent thinker, but also a girl who realistically captures the emotionally "mercurial" state of being 10 years old. So many fictional girls of this age are precocious in the bratty, smart-aleck sense of the word, but Anastasia is pert in a more loveable and unique way.

Lowry
SamZ
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Anastasia is 10. She has a mom who is a painter and a dad who is a poet. She also has a wart on her thumb. She has a green notebook where she keeps her most important thoughts, her loves and hates, and cool new words. This is a story about what happens to Anastasia the year she is 10.

I loved this book, Anastasia was hilarious! I kind of wish I'd read this as a kid, because I loved the themes and thoughts of this precocious ten-year-old. I enjoyed it as an adult, though, because the writing flows
HeavyReader
This book has a copyright date of 1979, and it 's the first in a series, but I had never heard of it until I picked it up at my library today. How did I miss these books when I was an avid reader kid? Strange!

In this book, Anastasia is 10 years old. She is smart and feisty and clever, spunky and a bit sassy, but not a pain in the neck like that Junie B. girl. I like Anastasia, I wish she had been my friend when I was ten.

I have a bunch of the other books in the series, just waiting for me to rea
Kat
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read, read-in-2011, ya
I LOVED this book as a kid - to the point that I even named my goldfish Frank so that I could be more like Anastasia - and I think it held up to an adult re-read.

I wonder if this book contributed to my love of making lists.
Laila (BigReadingLife)
This is the sweetest of the Anastasia books, but it's still funny. I'm rereading this series and I've realized they're total comfort reading for me.
unknown
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I barely remembered any of this one. Though Anastasia is just 10 in it, it was a slightly awkward read-aloud for my six-year-old here and there (sex jokes she probably didn't get), but still had some lovely parts. The one I really remember is the sequel, where they move to the house with the tower.
Matti Karjalainen
Lois Lowryn "Minä Anastasia" (Otava, 1986) kertoo kymmenvuotiaasta Anastasia Krupnikista, joka pohtii maailman menoa persoonallisen syvälliseen tapaansa ja laatii listoja niistä asioista, joista hän pitää ja joista hän ei pidä. Listan jälkimmäiselle puolelle päätyy - maksan, opettajan ja poikien lisäksi - myös perheen uusi vauva, josta vanhemmat eivät ole neuvotelleet lainkaan Anastasian kanssa, ja joka sen vuoksi tulee saamaan kamalan nimen.

Lowryn romaanissa hieman pikkuvanha mutta siitä huolim
Julie
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was pretty committed to the Ramona books when I was a kid, but I think I read at least one of these? As an adult, I have read a lot of Lowry's work and I think she is fantastic. Her work is a lot deeper than the Ramona books, so I have shared it with my 13 year old daughter, but I also wanted to introduce her to my 7 year old daughter. I decided on Anastasia. We both really liked this book. If you have read children's lit, then you have read something like this before...young girl going throug ...more
Tricia Douglas
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book in the Anastasia series that was read for the Goodreads children's fiction book club. I don't know why I hadn't read it before. Lowry's ability to describe in depth the life of a ten year old child made the story perfect. Anastasia is very bright for her age, making lists and actually keeping them up-to-date. Her vocabulary is better than some adults and she definitely has a mind of her own. My favorite part was when she had worked very hard on a poem for a class assignme ...more
Roxanne
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Anastasia Krupnik is stupidly charming and these books are charmingly written. I loved them when I was a kid and went through a phase this summer where I reread the ones I had loved and a few I had missed growing up.

This first one, in particular, is really fantastic. The later ones are hit and miss, but never bad. I don't know if it is that Anastasia's family is so realistic or if her family is just similar in ways to mine was when I was a young girl, but there is something so homey and comfort
Dana
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Anastasia books were some of my favorite as a child so I decided to reread this to see how it held up over time. I loved it again! She's funny, smart, and I love her family. I can't wait to pass these on to my daughter.

One complaint: the cover. TWICE the book describes Anastasia as having blonde/yellow hair so why would they put a brunette on the cover? I know this isn't a huge deal, but come on! If the book makes a point to describe something then the cover should reflect that. It looks like th
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Re-read after seeing it for sale on Kindle. Still just as good as when I was 11. Remember "One-Ball Reilly" ? How did Lois Lowry get away with THAT?
Amy
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Inspired to read this one because I know I read these books as a kid. I’m also pretty sure my fourth grade teacher read this one aloud to my class. Sometimes reading childhood favorites as an adult is a disappointment (like realizing how sexist Caddie Woodlawn is), but I was completely charmed by this book. It has everything: humor, introspection, heartbreak, hope. And, most importantly, Anastasia is the kind of kid I was: nerdy and bookish with aspirations to be a writer. She’s more self-confid ...more
Lori
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had my kids each pick out a couple of books for me to read, and I started with Anastasia Krupnik. I am still not sure if I read this as a kid or not, but I found the story quite enjoyable. I loved how Anastasia's lists of things she loves and things she hates kept changing with every chapter.
Jessica
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Needed something familiar to read 💜
Emily
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, ya, re-reads
I read this countless times as a child and it feels very weird to be reading it at HER MOM'S AGE. But it made me laugh out loud many times and now I want to reread the rest of the series.
Lulu
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
  • The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1)
  • The Cat Ate My Gymsuit
  • Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth
  • Conrad: The Factory-Made Boy
  • The Burning Questions of Bingo Brown (Bingo Brown, #1)
  • Amy and Laura
  • Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga, #1)
  • Behind the Attic Wall
  • Nothing's Fair in Fifth Grade
  • Ellen Tebbits (Ellen & Otis, #1)
  • Sixth Grade Secrets
  • Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself
  • A Girl Called Al
  • Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky
  • Nobody's Family Is Going to Change
  • The Composition
  • The Great Gilly Hopkins
Taken from Lowry's website:
"I’ve always felt that I was fortunate to have been born the middle child of three. My older sister, Helen, was very much like our mother: gentle, family-oriented, eager to please. Little brother Jon was the only boy and had interests that he shared with Dad; together they were always working on electric trains and erector sets; and later, when Jon was older, they always

Anastasia Krupnik (9 books)
  • Anastasia Again! (Anastasia Krupnik, #2)
  • Anastasia at Your Service (Anastasia Krupnik, #3)
  • Anastasia, Ask Your Analyst (Anastasia Krupnik, #4)
  • Anastasia on Her Own (Anastasia Krupnik, #5)
  • Anastasia Has the Answers (Anastasia Krupnik, #6)
  • Anastasia's Chosen Career (Anastasia Krupnik, #7)
  • Anastasia at This Address (Anastasia Krupnik, #8)
  • Anastasia, Absolutely (Anastasia Krupnik, #9)
“Memory is the happiness of being alone.” 449 likes
“Boy," said Anastasia, "you know what I wish? I wish that everybody who loved each other would die at exactly the same time. Then nobody would ever have to miss anyone."

"Well," said her father slowly, "it just doesn't work that way. It just doesn't seem to work that way very often.”
1 likes