Start by marking “Piercing Through the Darkness” as Want to Read:
Piercing Through the Darkness

Piercing Through the Darkness

It's on the edge of her memory like a word on the tip of her tongue, but Kandi can't remember what it is to save her life.

Despite being a cop, Jimmy can’t protect Kandi from the one thing that haunts her. She’s in danger and doesn’t even know it. After it happened, her brain repressed her memories of the accident, and now, she’s taking a Biology class under a man who want
Kindle Edition
Published February 23rd 2011 by Kindle (first published February 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Piercing Through the Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Piercing Through the Darkness

Michael Fierce
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Mystery & Suspense
Recommended to Michael Fierce by: Katy
Shelves: mystery

description

One of my Goodreads friends invited me to a Free Giveaway for a Kindle version of Piercing Through the Darkness by Emerald Barnes.

It was the first Giveaway I ever attended here and I'm very glad I did!

I have to admit that I don't read many Mystery & Suspense novels but the book had a great title - haven't I read those words in the Bible somewhere? - and I could tell right off the bat that, Emerald Barnes was really cool so, I wanted to give it a try.

Helping to pull me into reading this was
Katy
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of romantic thrillers/suspense
Recommended to Katy by: Emerald Barnes
Shelves: ebook
Jonathan Chandler’s life was torn apart when his wife and young daughter were killed in an automobile accident the previous fall. He continued to sleep-walk through his life – performing his job as a science teacher at the college and helping the students due to a sense of obligation, and wanting to keep himself busy, rather than any desire to do his job anymore. It was still early in the semester and new students were still filtering in through drop/adds; this morning he had printed out a new r ...more
Sandra "Jeanz"
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
There's something there on the edge of her memory like a word on the tip of her tongue, but Kandi can’t remember what it is to save her life. Kandi is also starting to have weird nightmares that seem to feel so very real to her. Jimmy is a cop and even he can’t protect Kandi from the one thing that haunts her. Kandi is in danger and she doesn’t even realise it yet.. After the tragic car accident happened, her brain repressed her memories of it, and now, she’s has just switched classes at school ...more
Spencer Brokaw
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I recently read Piercing Through the Darkness by Emerald Barnes. I love the book and I plan on reading more books by the author. It was a great read. It combined action with a little bit of romance. This is a book I plan on keeping in my Kindle collection. I liked the words that the author used. It didn't have a lot of description, but enough to where you could picture things the way you wanted to envision them.

It was the perfect amount. In a book I don't like too much description because I don
Alyssa Ivy
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
A suspenseful story that immediately pulls you in, Piercing Through the Darkness is a fast paced read that was hard to put down. Interesting characters, and an engaging plot make this book an exciting read that shouldn’t be missed.
Dalya Moon
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast-paced and brimming with tension, this novel will appeal to fans of Jodi Picoult.
Gloria Antypowich
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

WOW! What suspence!!

A tragic accident tore Jonathan Chandler's life apart when his wife and young daughter were killed the previous fall. His life carried on, even though he would have welcomed the comfort of death. He performed his job as a science teacher at the college, but his job was just a vehicle he used to keep himself busy so he could make it through the crushing emptiness of each day. Nothing had meaning.

Then a new studentshowed up in his class.He felt sucker punched when he read her n
Margaret Tidwell
You start the book following the teacher and all you know is that something happened to his wife and daughter a year before and that they passed away. They a girl transferred into one of his classes and he recognizes her because she was the person who killed his family. The girl is named Kandi and she has no idea why the teacher hates her. You find out soon enough that she has no memory of what her evening knowing the teacher or of hurting his family. Through the whole book you are getting more ...more
Tammy Hall
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From page one Piercing Through the Darkness is one suspense ride after another. Emerald Barnes does not disappoint in keeping each thrill going. This may only be 141 pages but let me assure you it does not lack in detail in anyway. Piercing has every bit the feel and materiel as a larger novel. I was hooked from the very beginning and did not put it down. I loved the characters they seemed very real and genuine I had no trouble relating to any of them. This short story sure delivered quite the p ...more
Wendy Young
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This story grips you from the start and doesn't let go. I love suspense and this delivered. The author does a great job of bringing you into each characters corner of the story and his or her emotional world. You feel for *everyone* in this book. I highly recommend this novella!
Karen Siddall
I so enjoyed the story and now I want more. I liked *all* the characters and wanted to know more about them. I certainly hope to see more stories by Emerald Barnes! I was delighted to receive a copy of this book as a Goodreads First Reads winner.
Rick Gillispie
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A very good story about loss. You feel for both people. The author did a great job of making you feel the pain of loss. Looking forward to more books from this author.
Lynn Thompson
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
YA Suspense, Thriller, Christain Fiction

Kandi doesn't understand why her collage professor hates her. She can't remember ever meeting him before joining his class. But then some memories are better off forgotten... or are they?

Jonathan Chandler can't believe his eyes when Kandi strolls into his classroom. Why on earth would she take his class? Was it to make him feel even more miserable? To punish him more? She had already taken away what meant the most to him in the world. And to make matters w
Julie Powell
This story is about guilt and pain and the struggle in overcoming loss in varying ways.

It is an interesting read to see more than one point of view and to understand both sides of the 'event'. I won't say too much so as not to spoil it for others, but it left me feeling that I wasn't sure whose side to take...although it may depend on what the reader brings to it and their life experiences.

An easy to read style and not badly written, if in need of development, both in character depth and plot.

Wo
Kristy
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written but fairly depressing...
Nicole Rogers
This was a solid 3 star read for me, the idea behind the book is great a different. With that said it seemed a little rushed and the story jumped a little to frequently from one character to another. I found it a little difficult to keep up with whose POV I was reading.

It was super easy though to get involved with Kandi. I could just imagine starting my school years in a new place away from my family and the person I loved. Also Jimmy and Kandi’s relationship was on of love on both ends but afra
Rachelle Ayala
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful psychological study of unresolved grief and despair. This book was short but suspenseful. Jonathan's life has been ruined by a careless driver, his wife and young daughter dead on the road. He's trying to deal with his grief and live a normal life.

Imagine his shock when the woman who caused his pain enrolls in a Biology class he teaches. He can no longer bury his emotions and fantasizes revenge.

Meanwhile Kandi, the woman who fell asleep at the wheel, has no memory of the tragic events.
Bex 'n' Books
Reviewer: Bex
Rating: 3 out of 5 Fairies

Piercing through the Darkness follows the lives of Kandi and Jonathan, as they both embark on a journey of pain, letting go and dealing with a past that haunt them. This YA psychological thriller, is filled with well-developed tension and characters that are easy to understand and follow. The plot structure moves at a pace with significant highs and lows, allowing the reader to pause for breath before the action builds up again.

There were many moments that
Sue Taylor
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emotional Read.
A story of a man’s struggle with grief, after losing his family. His sadness deepened into anger as every day he tortured himself with their memories. You can almost feel his pain as the author takes you into his tormented mind as he half-heartedly goes about his daily work as a teacher.
Along comes Kandi into his class one day, sweet and innocent, but creeped out by Mr Chandler and his unfriendly attitude towards her. As the story flows, the author cleverly interweaves their live
Stefanie Pristavu
This is not a bad book. I just think more time could have been spent on it and the characters fleshed out more. Tension was there, but could have been even grater if the story didn't just jump from one event to the other without giving the reader the time to let things sink in.
I was a bit confused about what Kandi's condition actually was, since people don't normally just forget things.
Jimmy's overprotectiveness felt a bit overbearing at times and I'm not sure how none of the two realized what's
Sally Beaudean
I found this book to be somewhat disappointing. The story line has merit and is certainly believable; however, a major conflict remains unresolved, Although the book is categorized as Christian fiction, the characters do not really reflect a dependence on faith. One or two mentions of prayer -- that's about it. It's a quick read, and it has potential, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Terri Anderson
Dec 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle
1/2 star. A waste of time. Totally predictable. Don't know why I kept reading, but at least it was short
Barbara
A strange tale where all are in pain
Sylvia Stein
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing Book and I loved it. Emerald Barnes is one talented Author and this story and the journey of each of the characters was so amazing. As a reader I could really connect to this story.
Elfie West
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked it a lot. Really pulled me in right away. Definitely will read again.
tammy Thraen
Nov 26, 2016
I.D.
rated it did not like it
Oct 25, 2012
  • The Dead Love Longer
  • Echo's Chance
  • From Under the Bed
  • The Hunter Inside
  • Everwinter (The Wrath of the Northmen, #1)
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Captives of the Zone (diary #1)
  • Bicycle Shop Murder (Greg Tenorly Suspense Series, #1)
  • Whupped
  • What Ho, Automaton! (Reeves & Worcester Steampunk Mysteries Book, #1)
  • Whispering Evil (Midnight Guardian, #2)
  • White Heaven Women
  • Unwanted (The MacLauchlans, #3)
  • Port of Sorrow
  • Undead (Kindle Single)
  • The Donors
Emerald Barnes resides in a small town in Mississippi and has the accent to prove it. She’s an auntie, a youth leader, a little bit of a nerd, a reader, a writer, and a family-oriented person. God is number One in her life, and she thanks Him continuously for His love and favor.

She’s also addicted to tv and binge-watching shows, and she has a thing for superheroes.