Start by marking “Disciple: A handbook for new believers” as Want to Read:
Disciple: A handbook for new believers

Disciple: A handbook for new believers

In this classic book written by best-selling author Juan Carlos Ortiz, you'll discover what it really means to be a disciple of Jesus Christ. An ideal book for new believers, Disciple is also an inspirational and practical guide for Christians who want to grow closer in their walk with the Lord.

Published July 23rd 1996 by Charisma House (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Disciple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disciple

Alina Lupsa
”Nimic din ceea ce a creat Dumnezeu nu este oribil. Ploaia este o manifestare a măreței Lui puteri. La fel este și zăpada, căldura sau gheața. Am învățat să spun: ”Ce zi frumoasă însorită”, ”Ce zi ploioasă frumoasă”, ”Ce zi frumoasă cu zăpadă”, ”Ce zi caldă și frumoasă”, de ce nu? Toate zilele sunt frumoase, pentru că Dumnezeu le-a făcut. El merită să fie lăudat pentru ele. - Juan Carlos Ortiz
Andy Gore
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part One fantastic, part Two curious!! But Ortiz saying that to need new wineskins is because you have new wine is such a savvy thing to day.
Shelley
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book as a birthday present over 23 years ago. Am reading it again now with my sons. It is a simple read, and yet packs a punch because of its simplicity, helping you look at concepts such as love and praise in memorable, surprising ways, and making you remember what being a disciple of Jesus is all about. "Mashed potato love"?! The book makes you want to read passages out loud to whoever is around you.
Liz Gibbs
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-star
This is a look at the problems the church faces as it struggles to understand how to put God's word into practice. He describes our churches as upside down in thinking, and that we need to love one another fully and make those of us already in the church into disciples before we can add more people and continue to grow. It was a very good reminder to take care of others in the same way we take care of ourselves.
Gary Ross-Jordan
Incredibly challenging and fresh. Despite the years since first publication, this little book provokes and then takes you on Ortiz's own journey. Backed up with scripture and a hard look at Jesus's life, one will be forced to rethink and decide afresh on a call to discipleship. Would recommend to anyone!
Janet
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Juan Carlos Ortiz has astonishingly fresh and radical ideas, which got me thinking about faith in many new and liberating ways. He is never afraid to think outside the boxes in which we Christians tend to dwell. While his writing is clear and his analogies are excellent, my rating is for the ideas rather than the writing.
Jaw1
Mar 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been the best book for basic discipleship for an audience with limited reading ability. Written at about a 5th grade reading level.
Steve Savig
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: studies
Read with the Fellowship team at ECC. Nolan Doeskin, Rob & Lisa Kingsley, Joanne Slattery, Linda Freeman, & Kim Mulvaney. We all liked Ortiz's insights
Levi Stuckey
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very challenging read!
Bill
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: almost-finished
One of my very favorite books on the subject of Discipleship, very powerful in it's delivery and very eye opening. An easy read but hard to put down!
Titus
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent and amazing book...
Simple illustrations make it very meaningful, and a must for every born-again christian
Dan Mayer
This book has some good stuff in it and it's a good book. A GOOD book. But there are too many excellent books out there for me to be reading good books and I recommend you read one of those.
Josue Olvera
El místico dice: -Oh mi hermano, cuánto amor siento por ti. El pragmático pregunta: -Hermano, ¿qué es lo que te hace falta? Juan Carlos Ortiz.
Eun