Start by marking “The Lost Art of Disciple Making” as Want to Read:
The Lost Art of Disciple Making

The Lost Art of Disciple Making

"Every believer in Jesus Christ deserves the opportunity of personal nurture and development." says LeRoy Eims. But all too often the opportunity isn't there. We neglect the young Christian in our whirl of programs, church services, and fellowship groups. And we neglect to raise up workers and leaders who can disciple young believers into mature and fruitful Christians. In ...more
Published July 17th 1978 by Zondervan (first published 1978)

Start your review of The Lost Art of Disciple Making
John Gardner
Feb 24, 2010 rated it liked it
This is sort of a “classic” in the church ministry genre, but was a first-time read for me. There’s nothing earth-shattering now, but I imagine it was fairly revolutionary when it was published in 1978. It isn’t that today’s churches have mastered discipleship — we certainly haven’t — there are just a lot more materials available today. The Trellis and the Vine, for instance, covers many of the same topics, but is more practical and relevant to the 21st-century.

Still, there is something encourag
Patrick
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
The purpose of The Lost Art of Disciple Making, in the words of Eims himself, is to teach others "how to train spiritually qualified workers for Christ" (12). Central to Eims' approach is his useful, Biblically-based, model of making disciples, which presents the believer as existing somewhere on a four-stage continuum of maturity: convert -> disciple -> worker -> leader. The book is full of practical advice on how to train and help people at the various stages. Eims gleans principles from the m ...more
Reed Schafer
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
LeRoy does an incredible job of not just explaining the the different tools and stages of disciple making, but he uses God’s Word (primarily the ministries of Jesus and Paul) to confirm everything he is teaching in this book is biblical. This book was extremely helpful, would recommend to all followers of Christ.

“Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone, but if it dies, it bears much fruit.” -John 12:24

Discipleship is costly, but it is w
Elena
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Decent. Eims walks through the process of discipling others, but the book felt a little fluffy. If you want more on discipling others, multiplying disciples, etc. within church planting movements, look up T4T: A Church Planting Re-Revolution by Steve Smith and Ying Kai.
Andy Anderson
Jan 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Best book on how to disciple a new believer. Great suggestions on how to....
Styford Phiri
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
The book was very refreshing, and I would recommend it to any bible believing church
Logan
Jun 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
From what I recall, I enjoyed the appendices more than the actual text.
Ryne Brewer
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is helpful with defining discipleship, giving practical tools, and creating vision for a life of multiplication. Quick and helpful read.
Jake
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I highly influential book for my understanding of discipleship and its importance.
Randall Darden
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This provides a perspective on discipling disciple makers. I appreciate his practical advice in the last half of the book and his training objective in the appendix. I struggled through the first half of the book but he really got going after that. I especially appreciate the heart from which he wrote and would like the opportunity to meet him in person. "Likeminded, trustworthy, competent men are not made on a production line like automobiles in an assembly plant. They are carefully and prayerf ...more
Cassidy Purdy
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
There was nothing too life-altering for me in this one. When it initially came out, I’m sure it was incredible. Some of the content was slightly outdated, but most of it was still relevant.There are many other more helpful resources available now for discipleship, so I would recommend those before this one.
Bernard Sia
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After going through about 5 books prior on the topic of disciples and followership; this is probably the most concise and application based book on the topic. Other authors spend a good 80% to 90% rehashing principles from the bible (the "why") which is really not what I was looking for, as it only leaves a few meager entries on the "how".
Austyn Harris
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Disciples are not made over night! Like raising a child it takes a lot of blood sweat and tears. This book lays out this reality clearly but also provides great encouragement that the job can and should be done!
Jon
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books i've ever read. All believers should read this book!
Tor Lenoir
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
truly edifying. i cherish this book and hope to disciple at least 1 person in my life
Glenn
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a Must read for all serious disciple makers!!
Gordon E Ashe
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It helps to help others in depth to make great width!

Insightful and practical! It's like popcorn; the more one invests, the more one desires the dividends to help others !
Brett Ricley
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: discipleship
One of the most eye opening and fresh books on the "how" of making and multiplying disciples. Disciple making is definitely a lost art and yet this very practical book was helpful in providing many tools and resources to aid in someone actually making disciples. The most helpful resource for me was the outlining the whole process of making disciples: from evangelizing, to making a convert, to training objectives for the new believer, to training objectives for the worker and then the leader, the ...more
Josh
A very practical guide to discipleship ministry or "personal ministry" as practiced by the Navigators and Campus Outreach, among others. After reading it and having seen (but not participated in) such a ministry I the past, I feel like I have all the information I need to start in this philosophy of ministry myself. It's general enough that it's not specific to church or campus ministry, but can apply to laypeople like myself.
Chris Robertson
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A must read for any Christian desiring to understand the Biblical meaning of producing disciples. This book will open the heart and eyes to the need of making disciples, not just studying a "disciple course", but seeing Christians who can produce other disciples of Christ. The author definitely accomplishes his goal with writing this book...to teach on the importance of making disciples for Christ and how to go about fulfilling that!
Matthew
Having been first written in 1977, I believe, I wonder how many other books in that time were committed to discipleship? End times, sure. Evangelism, absolutely. But discipleship as an investment in others, I really wonder. But this got the ball rolling. Passing along much of what he acquired and practiced from the Navigators (Dawson Trotman is quoted extensively here), he compiles with tools and story after story of how important investing in others is.
Jonathan Wylie
Jul 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jonathan by: Ben Watson
Shelves: leadership
This book was a challenging read. This is something I aspire to and gave me a lot to think about. Learning how to apply these concepts I am guessing takes time. So with that I press on! The person I recommend this book to: Anyone looking to share their hope and seeing that grow. This book would not be for the weak or even lukewarm of heart.
Brent Rosendal
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good book on how to do discipleship. Most books on discipleship focus on what you need to teach the person you are discipling. This book does a little of that but focuses more on the how to go about finding a disciple, developing/training a disciple and preparing disciples for their own ministry.
Phil Collins
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
A challenging and though provoking book that made me think of how I am approaching the Art of Discipleship. I loved that God is always the centre of this process and it comes light powerfully in this book with the submitted heart and great relationship Leroy Eims brings across.
I Highly recommend this book for a church group to study through. Its what I did and it was fantastic time of growth.
Andy Ziesemer
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A phenomenal book on the importance of making disciples. The author really focuses on practical ways that we can teach people how to become disciples of Christ. I found that almost every page I highlighted something. I would recommend this book to any person who leads a team of people working on the mission of Christ.
Tesa Fiona
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
My heart trembles every time I see this book. The passion, the sincerity, the love of God's work; all written passionately in every words of it. One of the fuel that keeps me burning for discipleship.
Lydia
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple, straightforward, yet dry little book about discipleship but very detailed. Helpful for anyone in ministry or leading others or anyone who just wants to know more about the process of discipleship.
Stevie
Oct 29, 2007 rated it it was ok
It is useful for helping younger believers catch the vision of spiritual generations, but it was not as practically helpful and insightful as I was expecting.
Shane
May 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
I thought it was decent, although the funny thing is the campus minister who I was reading it with strongly disliked it.
Becky
Jun 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Had some valuable points. Another way to say what Robert Coleman says in his Master Plan.

• Tactics: A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian Convictions
  • The Master Plan of Evangelism
  • When People Are Big and God Is Small: Overcoming Peer Pressure, Codependency, and the Fear of Man
  • Disciples Are Made Not Born: Helping Others Grow to Maturity in Christ
  • Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret
  • Unsatisfied: Finding the Life You Can't Stop Looking For
  • Don't Waste Your Life
  • Humility: The Journey Toward Holiness
  • Let the Nations Be Glad!: The Supremacy of God in Missions
  • The Fuel and the Flame: 10 Keys to Ignite Your College Campus for Jesus Christ
  • God Speaks to Women Today
  • Evangelism & the Sovereignty of God
  • Humble Roots: How Humility Grounds and Nourishes Your Soul
  • The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism
  • Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream
  • Gay Girl, Good God: The Story of Who I Was and Who God Has Always Been
  • Cross-Cultural Connections: Stepping Out and Fitting in Around the World
LeRoy Eims served with The Navigators for over 50 years in a variety of ministries, including Director of U.S. Ministries, International Ministry Representative, and Director of Evangelism Worldwide. He broadened his ministry through the writing of 14 books, including the best-selling The Lost Art of Disciplemaking. His personal ministry continues on through the lives of his family, and through co ...more