Start by marking “That We Might Have Joy” as Want to Read:
That We Might Have Joy

That We Might Have Joy

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  106 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In a general conference address in April 1993, President Howard W. Hunter asked members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, "How often do we think of the Savior? How deeply and gratefully and how adoringly do we reflect on his life? How central to our lives do we know him to be?"

Living a more Christlike life has long been a theme of President Hunter's m
Published by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about That We Might Have Joy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That We Might Have Joy

Heather
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
This is a sweet book, full of President Hunter's words of meekness and happiness and peace. He teaches us about Jesus Christ and how only through Him we find true joy.

A few of my favorite quotes:

"Let us follow the Son of God in all ways and in all walks of life. Let us make him our exemplar and our guide (p. 3)."

"How often do we think of the Savior? How deeply and how gratefully and how adoringly do we reflect on his life? How central to our lives do we know him to be (p. 7)?"

"And what of the m
Nolan
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that simply won't go out of date. Its essence is that supernal joy can be found by those willing to study and emulate the life of Jesus. Broken down into four parts, the book is a compilation of 32 addresses the author gave over his lifetime--addresses that range from the value of unity to an unshakable conviction that seeking to live as Christ lived can provide hope in the darkest of situations.

Hunter points out here that every generation has had its challenges and problems. The
Whitney
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This took a while for me to finish because some of the chapters were so profound and moving I had to stop and really grab hold of what he was saying. Very powerful book. LDS or not, this has some amazing life applications and how to be joyful in the worst of times... At first I thought when I was done I would give it to a used bookstore, now I think I will keep it to refer back to when times are hard.
Karen
Jan 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
I would have enjoyed this much better if I hadn't waited till right before Book Review night - it took me 2 days where I wish I would've spent 2+ weeks with it. President Hunter was more of a scriptorian than I knew - loved how he pulled me into the scriptures.
Cindy
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful in sight.
Christi
Jul 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, church
Interesting read, good thoughts. I especially liked the use of the hymns and poetry. Some good background stories of the hymns--especially of Master, the Tempest is Raging. (p. 41)
Amber
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Love this book and this prophet!
Don Gubler
Oct 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: religious
Who really knows what happiness is?
Fred D
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
Excellent series of essays by Pres. Howard W. Hunter. His faith, his testimony, and his love for everyone really come out beautifully in these essays.
Becky
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, religious
I gained a real love and admiration for Pres. Hunter after reading this book. So much so. . . I did a book review on it, I wanted everyone to read it!
Kip
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have found deep spiritual renewal in the words of a man I consider a prophet.
Leilani
Mar 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
So good! So many inspiring insights by a prophet of God. Joy is all around us--we just need to see, feel and appreciate it. Great book.
Carrie Dalby
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Great collection of sermons based on scripture and relevant to modern day. Enjoyed reading it for a few minutes each morning.
Caraleeall
  • The Simeon Solution: One Woman's Spiritual Odyssey
  • The Believing Heart: Nourishing The Seed Of Faith
  • Pure in Heart
  • Love Is a Verb: And Other Thoughts on the Greatest Commandment
  • Gospel Doctrine: Sermons and Writings of President Joseph F. Smith (Classics in Mormon Literature)