Start by marking “Nice Girls Just Don't Get It: 99 Ways To Win The Respect You Deserve, The Success You've Earned, And The Life You Want” as Want to Read:

Offering the same brand of practical, no-holds-barred, expert advice that made Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office an international million-copy bestseller, Nice Girls Just Don't Get It teaches us the skills we need to turn from a nice girl into a winning woman, not just in our careers but in our relationships, families, and everyday lives.

Have you ever felt invisible?
Published (first published May 10th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Nice Girls Just Don't Get It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nice Girls Just Don't Get It

Melissa
The book gives 99 tips to being more assertive, and about halfway through I realized that I am not as "nice" as I thought. Some of the tips made me think, "Really? You need to tell somebody that?" But what I DID take away from this book and why I would recommend is because of one message it really drove home: Make it work for you.

I can, at times, be a bit of a martyr. I'll take on too many projects, I'll go out of my way to do things that just don't "work" for me i.e. both inconvenience me and
Hilary
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It is a great, easily-digested summary of problematic behaviors that many women have been socialized to have. The book not only explains the behaviors but then offers suggestions for how to change them. If someone picked up this book having never realized that their behaviors might be undercutting them, I'm not sure how effective it would be. But for me, since these are issues I've been mulling over the past few years, it was a great way to take stock of my life and s ...more
Heather
The how to's of this book are logical and simple and, if incorporated gradually over time, will work toward a better sense of balance and boundaries in anyone's relationships, whether they are a 'nice girl' or a 'nice guy'. The oversimplification of what a 'nice girl' is started to irritate me by the end, though. The constant comparison of the nice girl stereotype just got old and too broad to have much meaning.

The authors warn the reader not to take their suggestions too the extreme or too qui
Sinistmer
Jul 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: career
This is a very digestible read--the chapters are short, and the language is clear. I sometimes had trouble keeping track of which tactics went with which main point; I did not always think everything was tied together. However, the tactics in of themselves seem like mostly sound advice.
NattyD
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-non-fiction
I'll start off by saying that I listened to this as an audiobook, and I did not feel that that format was well suited for this book. The first half of the book I found interesting and useful. I definitely identified with being a "nice girl" far too often. After that point, however, the tactics started to feel exhausting. It just seems too hard to follow and micromanage every situation as a "winning woman", as they put it. To discern the personality and change your tactic to fit each person is pr ...more
Gaurika
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a coach named Frankel and how he teaches women to be at their fullest potential. He reached thousands of women how to be themselves and how to turn them into winning women. I really liked this book because it shows how many girls feel invisible at some points and these coaches teach them how to overcome that and how to be stronger. This book has many chapters on how to help yourself if you feel bad about yourself or invisible. I think people who want a boost of self-confidence ...more
Bushra Ahmed
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book
Melissa
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-on-cd
Some points were reminders. I will read this again to help in areas that I fall short and would like to make strengths
Jennifer Rohleder
Dec 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Difficult to follow on audiobook, and I just couldn't get into it.
Callie
Lots of suggestions for dealing with a variety of scenarios make this a book that would be handy to have on hand for reference as various situations arise in life.
Dani-girl
Had some good advive but honestly not very useful.
Carrie
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally changing how I am thinking about myself, past experiences, and giving me tips for changing my speech (to myself and others) so I can get what I want without being a complete self-centered B**** and without being a "Nice Girl" that others walk all over. Book explains there is nothing wrong with being nice, but that a Nice Girl overdoes it at her own detriment. I wondered if I would get anything out of it after the intro, but the quiz towards the beginning helps you evaluate what kind of p ...more
Patrycja
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Książka bardzo przypadła mi do gustu i z pewnością przynajmniej część zawartych w niej strategii wykorzystam w życiu. Wprawdzie jest skierowana głównie do kobiet, które rozpoczęły już swoją karierę zawodową, ale również nieco młodsze osoby znajdą tam coś dla siebie. Daję duży plus za układ książki, podzielona jest ona na 99 krótkich rozdziałów, które porozdzielane są w 7 działach o osobnej tematyce, dlatego nie trzeba czytać książki od deski do deski, a można od razu przejść do interesujących na ...more
Jillian
This book was amazing! I just randomly grabbed it from the library while I was looking for an audiobook, and I can't believe how helpful it is. I'm probably going to check this out again at some point and recommend it to the women I volunteer with. Lately, I feel like I should have this on repeat in my car CD player....

Despite the what the title says, I think this book actually makes a great case for what nice girls DO get--as long as they stick to their boundaries, watch martyrdom and energy le
Sally
Dec 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women, self-help
The way of life the authors present didn't appeal to me. Although there is a snide tone toward "nice girls," the favored "winning women" are put in an equally rigid behavioral straightjacket: always give more than you get in relationships, never be unpleasant to anyone, be fully present in each moment, accept and make the best of situations you don't choose to change, consider life as a series of opportunities to influence people and situtations to get what you want, etc. - the advice isn't bad, ...more
Bethany
The work bookclub had recommended this one ... found it at the library, and enjoyed the read. It's easily digestible and common sense - the author's tackle the tension that can exist between being happy in your own life (a "winning woman") and the various external messages we get to be a "nice girl" (wherein we try to make everyone else happy, but ourselves.)
Christine Ricci
Interesting advice and tips, not just for females or "nice" people. I think everyone can take a piece of advice from this book -- particularly the communication section. Most of the examples are a bit cheesy, but they get the point across and that's what counts. Honestly, just a good read for everyone.
Lois
Jul 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The authors offer various tactics and strategies to help "nice girls" become "winning women". There are some great tips though after a while the comparison between nice girls and winning women gets old and becomes an unnecessary device to get the authors' point across. Still it's a worthwhile read for women.
LemontreeLime
Horrifyingly depressing if you are a member of the 'nice girls' race. It is honest and spells out why a nice girl gets shafted time and again and some strategies to counteract that. But will a nice girl have the strength to do it after decades of indoctrination? *shrugs* knowing is half the battle, gijoe.
Jill
Nov 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So it seems tons of people think all 'self-help' books are lame but.... This one was very handy. It even helped me be a little better at arguing. And far better at getting what I want! As well as saying what I mean more clearly.
L
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the title is the cheesy, the content is not. The tips are practical and can be implemented right away. This takes a more holistic view of a woman's life compared to Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office. A more worthy read that touches upon family, relationships, and work.
Lela
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Very clear examples of how women should respond to may & varied situations that commonly happen in life. You can be strong and kind at the same time. An easy read, and, again, some great examples and take-away lessons.
Barbara
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, honest book that turns nice girls into winning women without resorting to rudeness. There are literally tons of tips on being more assertive and avoiding passive-aggressive or simply passive behavior that builds resentment.
Stacey
Mar 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a lot of good stuff in this book. But it was kind of boring and a little wordy.
Denise
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well.....I certainly could use this advice. Written by two women, a judge and a pyschologist. What more could a single girl need?
Alicia
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A few helpful parts, but the writing seemed stale and followed a simple formula that was too predictable.
Tracy
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had some good pointers and it was a fairly quick read.
 Black Sun
really a 3.5, it reinforces some of the ideas and tatics I have found in other self improvement books.
Emily
very interesting read...changed my ways of thinking etc
Mk
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Borrowed this from the library but I think I might be purchasing this. I really enjoyed the tips for speaking up at work, which is sometimes rare.

• Necessary Dreams: Ambition in Women's Changing Lives
  • The Girl's Guide to Starting Your Own Business: Candid Advice, Frank Talk, and True Stories for the Successful Entrepreneur
  • You Can Do It!: The Merit Badge Handbook for Grown-Up Girls
  • How To Say It for Women
  • Pushback: How Smart Women Ask--and Stand Up--for What They Want
  • Zilch: The Power of Zero in Business
  • A Kick in the Seat of the Pants: using your explorer, artist, judge, & warrior to be more creative
  • The Go-Getter Girl's Guide: Get What You Want in Work and Life (and Look Great While You're at It)
  • The Well-Spoken Woman: Your Guide to Looking and Sounding Your Best
  • Stop Caretaking the Borderline or Narcissist: How to End the Drama and Get on with Life
  • Social Media 101: Tactics and Tips to Develop Your Business Online
  • Emily Post's The Etiquette Advantage in Business: Personal Skills for Professional Success
  • Indie Publishing: How to Design and Publish Your Own Book
  • 50 Success Classics: Winning Wisdom For Work & Life From 50 Landmark Books
  • Play Like a Man, Win Like a Woman: What Men Know About Success that Women Need to Learn
  • Aikido in Everyday Life: Giving in to Get Your Way
  • Toward a New Psychology of Women
  • How You Can Survive When They're Depressed: Living and Coping with Depression Fallout
Dr. Lois Frankel, President of Corporate Coaching International, a Pasadena, California consulting firm, literally wrote the book on coaching people to succeed in businesses large and small around the globe. Her books Nice Girls Don’t Get The Corner Office and Nice Girls Don’t Get Rich are international bestsellers translated into over twenty-five languages worldwide. Stop Sabotaging Your Career, ...more