Start by marking “How to Seduce a Ghost (Lee Bartholomew, #1)” as Want to Read:
How to Seduce a Ghost (Lee Bartholomew, #1)

How to Seduce a Ghost (Lee Bartholomew #1)

3.2  ·  Rating details ·  170 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Ghostwriter Lee Bartholomew lives in a crumbling old town house in Notting Hill, London - alone. Her boyfriend has been badgering her for years to marry him or let him move in. But over thirty and counting, Lee is set in her ways, likes her space, and is terrified of letting any man get too close. Then an arsonist sets fire to a nearby house, and the woman who lives there ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Grand Central Publishing (first published October 28th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about How to Seduce a Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Seduce a Ghost

Ali
Apr 02, 2008 rated it liked it
I had a difficult time getting into this book and considered putting it aside but I pushed past those feelings and I'm glad I did. I'm still not sure I actually care for the Nathalie (Lee), the protagonist, in fact, I convinced I don't like her. I am incredibly intrigued by her often ridiculous and neurotic thoughts and generally self-excusing behavior. There is a great cast of secondary character, eccentric and thoroughly British. The mystery is a bit scattered and surrounded by red herrings th ...more
Leanna Henderson
Aug 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
Sorry, but this book was plain stupid to me. I picked it up at the library just for the title, which is very clever and by far the best part of the book. There were about five zillion characters and subplots, most of which had nothing to do with advancing the actual storyline at all. The protagonist is just irritating. The writer fails miserably at trying to create a character with depth, and she just comes off as ridiculous. It's one of those books where this happens, then this happens, then th ...more
Kerri
Sep 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
A mix of Bridget Jones and Monk is how one of the cover quotes describes the character of Lee. That blends is what makes the book work and pulls you into the story, at least that is what made me relate to her. Not to mention the story has the perfect blend of romance, mystery, comedy and drama to keep the reader entertained throughout.
Regan
May 07, 2009 rated it liked it
I think the author tried to cover too many issues in too short a time and it bogged the book down. It hasn't stopped me from reading book 2!
Sep 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like mysteries based more on character than setting or plot
Shelves: mystery, oneofthebest
Lee is a ghostwriter for the stars--and it's the perfect job for her. She's a loner and a homebody unwilling to change her ways, even to marry her longtime boyfriend. She's too lazy to even call an electrician and worried they might disturb her routine. And then everything ruins her routine. A neighbor is killed, she thinks the celebrity she's writing for is being abused by her husband, and her mother moves it.

This mystery was engaging from the beginning. Lee is a well-drawn interesting characte
Joanna
Feb 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Reading this book, I slip inexorably into the narrator's state of mind "oh, no, I couldn't POSSIBLY manage that." "Fancy a bit of a kip, do you?" She's passively aggravatingly twitteringly incapable.... and then she isn't. Fun read, a bit of a Mary Stewart vibe, some cloak and dagger, mixed in with a bit of afterschool special and some spunk. Home improvements. Housekeepers. The creeping, menacing DAMP. Fresh, hand delivered vegetables! (Although of course here they're "veg" since it's screaming ...more
Amy
Jul 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: great-title, ho-hum
The best part about this book for me was the title. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but somehow it wasn't a book about women who love badly. Or rather who choose bad men to love. Or are unable to love, whether it's man, friend or parent. All in all it was rather depressing, especially since I somehow expected lighthearted romance. I did like the ending though, in terms of which man Lee ended up with. I'd say more, but it would be a spoiler.
Jan
Jun 01, 2009 rated it did not like it
This book, which I picked up by chance at the library, almost surpassed it's 100 page limit (my "get out now" magic page number) and never really redeemed itself. It was very difficult to get into, the story line was all over the place and, to make matters worse, the main character, Lee, annoyed me with her indecision, "the recluse who is afraid of being alone". I can't recommend this book to anyone.

Bethan
May 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I wouldn't exactly classify this book as a crime novel, yes a crime was committed, but Lee didn't seem particularly inclined to solve it until way over half way into the book.

It was quite frustrating at times, I suppose I just couldn't relate to Lee at all, despite being very introverted as she is also meant to be.

I was hoping for a little more with Max Austin, but that didn't seem to go anywhere. I don't think I'll be picking up the next book in the series.
Bethany
Feb 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A moderately reclusive ghostwriter becomes obsessively concerned, as she often does, when someone seems to have been murdered in her neighborhood.

The plot thickens when she starts her new ghostwriting job.

A page turner! I couldn't stop thinking about the book when I wasn't reading it. The ending was pretty good too. All in all a very good and entertaining read.
Kathleen
Sep 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
It was a fun book to read by the pool. Some mystery, some silliness, some angst. Kind of all over the place. Not fantastic, but fun!

Jennie Damron
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A clever mystery and I did not guess the villain in the end. I loved her character
development and her writing was on par.
Teressa
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This book had more characters in it that you want to dislike and find them constantly making mistakes.Not only are you trying to figure out the who dunit,but also if the main character and her so called boyfriend are going to stay together and at the end of the book,you really do not know if she is going to have a relationship with the detective.This book to me was only so-so.
Debra
May 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: amateur sleuth fans
For those who want a dead body to appear early in a mystery novel, Hope McIntyre’s How to Seduce a Ghost comes through just fine – in a terrific opening line, in fact. The victim, Astrid McKenzie, was killed by an arsonist who set fire to her home. But since protagonist, Lee Bartholomew, is a professional ghost writer who hadn’t really known the victim living in her neighbourhood, she has no reason to investigate the crime, so she doesn’t. And this is what makes this novel so different from othe ...more
CD
Dec 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Jane
Dec 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this book as I was so off put by varying reviews saying it was Bridget Jones-esque (as each to their own but that does nothing for me at all).

This book was engaging and gripping throughout and the characters were well developed and likeable, even the soap actresses manager and his no saint!

There are a fair few red herrings along the way before you reach the conclusion which was unexpected because there was no hint of the perpetrator at all. That was probably my onl
Mike
Jun 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is the first book of McIntyre's that I've read and it won't be the last. Her primary character, a ghost writer, is efficiently and remarkably well-thought out. I say "remarkably" because it is rare in today's literary world for a writer to go back to elementary fiction principles and plan out the depiction of a main character so they say and do believable things. As I read this book, the ghost writer comes alive as a person carried along by the plot: as it should be in fiction. This is not ...more
D.A. Cairns
Dec 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Surprising and entertaining, even if slightly annoying at times. I developed a love/hate attitude to the main character, Lee, and actually enjoyed the supporting cast more. The plotting was a bit scattered and there were sections I could easily have left out, in fact I did skip bits but the mystery angel remained a mystery until it was revealed and it was full of surprises, humour and charm. It's got nothing to do with ghosts though if you're looking for supernatural action, look elsewhere. Lee ...more
Patricia
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Screwball neurotic ghostwriter with 7 year itch and domineering parents with late-life marital crisis is entangled in murder while house is falling down around her ears and ends up re-evaluating her life, romantic ties and friendships. Weirdly, it works. Not great, but fun and certainly different. Reminds me a bit of Donna Andrews' Meg Lanslow mysteries or Charlotte MacLeod's Sarah Kelling series.
Jesse Figuera
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is the worst book that I've finished in a long time. I was hooked from the first page, and still found it infuriating - with the main character making poor choices and not seeing all the red flags right and left. I usually quit books, but i kept hoping it would get better...would resolve and redeem itself..hoped it all the way till the end. oh well.
Shell Stitcher
Nov 07, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So poor. It was a very choppy storyline and could not even grow to like the main character, she was a pain the ... you know what!

The way the character repeated everything that came into her head even though she had just spoken the words, drove me up the wall.

Anyway this is only my opinion there maybe people out there who liked it.
Anita
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Really enjoyed this first in a series that I picked up at the friends of the Library book store. Could relate to Lee's wacky, neurotic personality and her mixed up relationships. Great mystery element too with the murders by arson. The storyline kept me guessing.
Kae Cheatham
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Not my style, so I had trouble reading and finishing this one. The character (first person) wasn't sympathetic and too troubled for me to stay with. Perhaps if she had been presented through a narrator's eyes I could have been more forgiving.
Jerrica
Oct 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised to find how much I enjoyed this book. It has a mystery, a little romance, and an interesting main character, who at first I found a little tiresome but by the end of the novel I loved her. Can't wait to read the next in the series.
Nikole
Jul 21, 2009 rated it did not like it
Picked it up from the bargain shelf at Barnes and Noble. I liked the first few chapters, but as the book went on, the plot was all over the place and I found myself not really caring about what happened to the protag.
Katherine
Aug 02, 2010 rated it liked it
I liked it -- an interesting cast of characters who were intriguing and believable, a good plot and fun dialogue. I may not be keeping it for myself to read again, but it was a fun book, difficult to put down, and a good read.
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Aug 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-read
Definitely not a cozy mystery. It's a British mystery and I really enjoyed it once Lee learned to stop being so paranoid and recluse. I never did figure who was setting the fires. The main suspect made the most sense but he had no reason too.
Martha
Jun 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
easy read, enjoyed the "Britishness" of it - the locations, language, ...
Connie Romani
Lght, easy summer read.
Pam
Mar 09, 2008 marked it as to-read
Shelves: uk-mystery
03/08/08 rec via bookmooch
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Land of Echoes (Cree Black, #2)
  • The Sign of the Book (Cliff Janeway, #4)
  • The Pact
  • Love All
  • Parent Swap
  • The Fractal Murders
  • Jade Tiger
  • Born Guilty (Joe Sixsmith, #2)
  • Furry Logic: A Guide to Life's Little Challenges
  • Iron Ties (Silver Rush, #2)
  • Deadhead (The Marnie Baranuik Files #3.1)
  • Wicked Eddies (An RM Outdoor Adventures Mystery #2)
  • Lost Angel (Nik Kane #1)
  • Dead Boogie (A Loon Lake Mystery, #7)
  • Ten Thousand Miles Without a Cloud
  • Who Knows the Dark (The Vigilante #2)
  • The Long Division
  • Murder on a Hot Tin Roof (Paige Turner, #4)

Lee Bartholomew (4 books)
  • How to Marry a Ghost (Lee Bartholomew, #2)
  • How to Cook for a Ghost (Lee Bartholomew, #3)
  • Held to Ransom (Lee Bartholomew, #4)