Start by marking “The Herb Book: The Complete and Authoritative Guide to More Than 500 Herbs” as Want to Read:
The Herb Book: The Complete and Authoritative Guide to More Than 500 Herbs

The Herb Book: The Complete and Authoritative Guide to More Than 500 Herbs

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  459 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
The complete and authoritative guide to more than 500 herbs.
The most complete reference catalog of nature's herbs ever published.
Published January 1st 1974 by Benedict Lust Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Herb Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Herb Book

Meghan
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book that I am glad to add to my collection. I have always been interested in botany, gardening and the different uses of plants and herbs and this book is full of over 2,000. It begins with lists of herbs that can be used for different situations (i.e. upset stomach, trouble sleeping), then continues on to specifics on individual herbs, including recipes/preparations for the use of each. There are some beautifully done hand-drawn pictures included throughout as well. A very i ...more
Alicia Tracy
I will never stop reading this book. John Lust opens with chapters on the shared histories of plants and humans, Botanical language and meanings, Wild crafting practice and ethic, growing your own herbs, purchasing, drying and storing herbs, basic guidelines to most traditional herbal preparations, a Glossary of Medicinal Effects and the Herbs that Produce Them, a condensed list of various human conditions and name lists of plants to treat them (with page number plant can be found in the book).

T
Laura Hartmark
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Most books on herbal healing wander and focus on what the author or editor pleases. This book is organized like a dictionary. It is a true reference. If you ever wondered what any herb really does, what other names it has, or how it has ever been used - then this is the book for you. At one point I saw that it was out of print. That would be a terrible oversight. It is *the* herb book.
Jan Garner
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There is NO comparison to this book. It covers not only description,but medical uses, folk lore, color used in dyes, culinary uses, it's amazing how much, & how thoroughly each herb/plant is covered! It's a "Must Have" book if you're learning about, or need/want to learn about an herb or plant's properties. An absolute 5 star rating. This book by John Lust should be (and is by many) considered the "standard" for its thorough information.
Becky
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who is interested in herbal remedies.
Recommended to Becky by: Found it in a used bookstore.
This book, for me, became the most sacred book in my herb collection. The information given, while concise, was complete and organized well so you can navigate through the book easily. Alas, I left my last copy in NY and don't know where to find another.
Lily
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The herb book is the best all natural medicine book I've ever come across. I carry it with me everywhere. Any kind of herbal mixture I've made out of the book has always worked wonders. Definitely a must have for any person who prefers holistic health
Nichole
This book has just about everything you need to know about herbs, it's easy to find your specific ailment and it then lists over 20 herbs that heal for each. It teaches you how to use the herbs in everyday cooking, as well as recipes for teas and how to make tinctures.
Ann
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The best book on herbal usage bar none. I am on my fourth copy, I keep lending it out and it never finds it's way back. . .
Fishface
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: how-to, health
Terrific dictionary-format reference on every medicinal herb imaginable. Cross-referenced to find herbs based on the illness you have, to find which illnesses are treatable by which herb and so on.
Justin
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: herbal
A wide selection of herbs, but not that much information on each one
Marjorie
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Given To Me For An Honest Review

John Lust's book The Herb Book: The Most Complete Catalog of Herbs Ever Published is a very good one to add to your book collection. It is a great reference book. You can look up herbs by their common name, their scientific name and what ailments you want to treat. I also helps you to identify herbs. This book also tells you how to use herbs but it does not tell you how to grow them. I recommend this book. I look forward to more from John Lust.
Rhonda Keith
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm not an herbalist, but I've tried a few of the herbal remedies listed in this book. It's a good, thorough reference, and it has the best indexing of any book I've ever seen: the herbs are alphabetical, but there are indexes for types of illnesses, types of remedies, and more, making it easy to find something when you don't know much of anything. It even lists remedies for boredom.
Cesarcucio_saveearth
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
The book was spectacular! In terms of information, that is.

The contents were almost herbs from America and Europe (though cultivated) but I there were only a few herbs in the list that are naturally here in the Philippines, so I kinda doubt that it could be very handy for me. But at the last pages, it contained etymology of the herbs. I like mythology, so it hit the spot for me.
Adam White
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great reference book. with nice clear illustrations which help when out wild gathering. Formated like a dictionary, and as someone who enjoys herbal teas - this book was a wee gem - also very helpful for cooking as well.
Penny Bradford
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't say more, to sum up what you get, without repeating the complete title itself. If you want to learn about "everything" herbs, this is it! Descriptions (drawings are included to help identify) of plants, medicinal remedies with recipes. Expertly indexed!
Amethyst
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the classics of herbal medicine. My copy is filled with highlighter underlines. A must for anyone who is serious about learning the medicinal properties of herbs, plants, flowers, vegetables, and fruits.
Steve
Nov 03, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weird.
Joelle
May 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my most useful books. Great information on many herbs, well organized.
Cws
Mar 06, 2009 added it
635.7 Lus
Jennifer Hansard breunig
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Essential reference book for the herbal remedy library
Isia Van
brilliant..
Holly
May 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful, comprehensive guide to herbs.
Ann
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is chock full of valuable information. I will keep this one with in arms reach for reference.
zaK young
Jun 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to zaK by: mama
my mama had this book and i used to read it for hours.
Fenesha
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
This book has been my first resource for herb uses, remedies and mixtures for nearly 20 years.
Kathleen O'Mara
May 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: herbal people
Recommended to Kathleen by: Shatoya Jones
This is one of my favorites. I use it regularly for reference. I highly recommend this book for any herbalist's shelf and for those that only dabble.
carissa
  • Culpeper's Complete Herbal
  • A Modern Herbal, Vol. I
  • The Green Pharmacy
  • The Master Book of Herbalism
  • The New Age Herbalist: How to Use Herbs for Healing, Nutrition, Body Care, and Relaxation
  • The Way of Herbs