Start by marking “Biochemical Individuality” as Want to Read:
Biochemical Individuality

Biochemical Individuality

There is no such thing as an average person, we are all genetically and biologically unique. But when sperm meets egg, our characteristics are not locked in stone. This work argues that bad genes do not necessarily cause disease by themselves, and nutrition and environment can alter the outcome.
Published October 2nd 1998 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published June 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Biochemical Individuality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biochemical Individuality

Start your review of Biochemical Individuality
Krystal Williams
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Conventional Wisdom often seeks to dole out a one-size-fits-all approach to nutrition. This books does the opposite. It does not advocate that you blindly follow any one specific diet that the so-called experts set before you. Instead, it encourages you to consider the extent to which your own genetic, anatomical, and metabolic differences determine the best diet for you as an individual. Biochemical Individuality explores the “why” behind the idea that one man’s medicine may be another man’s ...more
Jodi
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health-books
This book is a classic and an essential read for all doctors, and also patients, if possible.

Biochemical individuality is the concept that the nutritional and chemical make-up of each person is unique and that dietary and other needs therefore vary from person to person. People have unique biochemical profiles based upon their own genetic structure, nutrition, and environment. Some of these variables can also change over time.

The book `Biochemical Individuality' was first published by Dr. Roger
Frank Mueller
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book covers differences that are found in humans at all levels. It also helps to explain why there is really no such thing as an average person. It helps to explain why the concept of "bad genes" are not in and of themselves the cause of human disease. It does a great job also of showing individual differences in human anatomy. It shows how the myths of many High School text books are presenting accidentally that all stomachs, hearts, and other organs are shaped exactly alike when in fact ...more
Denise
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely, positively, one of the most informative books I own. Roger J. Williams, PhD, has an amazing background and his diversity in life helped make this book what it is. It is technically written so I really had to get into this frame of mind and keep clear my intentions of reading; however, the committment to myself in finishing the material informed and clarified pertinent information that I had not yet been privy to. I consider this book a blessing and gift to me from an amazing mind.
Erica
Dec 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Book could have been condensed into 3 or so paragraphs. He clearly made a point to identify all possible instances and case studies where we all have different-sized livers, stomachs, pain intolerances, etc. etc. It was a longer read than was comfortable. However, he made a very good point about the genetotrophic principle and how we need to consider biochemical and physiological differences in determining possible variations in how diseases manifest in different people. Worth the read - amazing ...more
John Chadwick
A forgotten classic, the implications of which, arguments and reported view of which about how much a biochemical snowflake we REALLY are, will continue to ripple down through the coming years, framing our views about medicine, mediucal research, nutrition and all things biochemical (everything?)--by the past President of the AZmerican biochemical Society.

Related book: Williams' "Nutrition in a Nutshell"

jhc
Astrid
Jun 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
Based on pioneering research, Biochemical Individuality presents the theory that not all human beings are the same on anatomical, physical, or chemical levels. This is an amazing book, a classic. Would be worthy of five stars, but the writing style is very dry and uninteresting. If you can get past that, a wealth of amazing information awaits.
john j gonet