Start by marking “Repacking Your Bags” as Want to Read:
Repacking Your Bags

Repacking Your Bags

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  256 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
People everywhere feel overwhelmed today--weighed down by countless responsibilities and buffeted by changes in their personal and professional lives. Repacking Your Bags shows readers how to climb out from under these burdens and find fulfillment in their lives--now and in the years ahead.
Published December 12th 1994 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Repacking Your Bags, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Repacking Your Bags

Abdulla Awachi
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
هذا الكتاب يقدم رؤية جيدة للتخلص من الأعباء غير الضرورية التي تملأ حياتنا و إعادة تقييم كافة الأوضاع في حياتنا من علاقات و مواقف و أعباء
Elyse
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a 'book-of-the-month' some years back at my neighborhood "Center for Spiritual Living"

I only posted it now ---after having seen Goodreads friend read "The Art of Unpacking your Life".

The themes sure sound much the same -- ""Lighten Your Load"!

It was a pretty good book -- which improved 'with' discussion! (including goals - intentions & action taken)
Nathan W Pace
Jul 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone at a cross road in life.
I first read this book 5 years ago and it helped me in many ways move forward in life. Now 5 years later finding myself at a cross-roads I am reading it again to gain better perspective on what I want to do with my life.
LizG
Aug 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Great book to help one begin the process of re-evaluating one's life. If you feel like something's missing and aren't sure what or how to define it, this gives you a great place to start.

Without being heavy or daunting, it asks that we truly look at all we're carrying through life and decide what we actually want and need for the journey, and what could be let go. Includes exercises to challenge the idea that it's too hard to change.

Their definition of The Good Life pretty much sums it up:

"Livi
Satia
This book was given to me by someone who apparently thought I needed it. I tried to read it at the time but never got into it. Later, I tried to read it again and the same thing happened. This time I managed to yawn my way through half the book. Then I just stopped. I think this is one self-help book that I didn't read at the right time or simply never really needed to begin with.
Kelly
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I could give this a 3.5 I would. It has some absolutely amazing material. The name itself is so instructive right off the bat, but there were some highly repetitive bits, which had me stopping and starting my reading. Glad I read it though. Good book.
Ida Ovied
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational
Debbie
I liked this book more at the begining than at the end. Thw mesaage of it is still true and upon reflectimg i know that have done some reflecting or repacking my entire like.

One part of the book really got on my nerves. It was when the author was talking about taking regular trips to Africa to recomect with the 'primative' simple life. He also said something along the lines of having more 'primative' tribes that are hunter gatherers is the 'real' and 'true' Africa. Sterotypes about Africa reall
Tami
Jun 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever gone on a trip and packed far too much? An extra outfit or two just in case then shoes to match, etc, etc. Things you’ll never really use anyway. Eventually, you might have even had to add another bag or suitcase. Only to realize, once at your destination, that you forgot a key item.

Life is kind of like that. Sometimes, we carry around all this useless stuff. Not just material items but also relationships, emotional garbage, and beliefs that no longer fit us. It’s sort of like kee
Kyle Hancock
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are two currencies in life... Money and time
Sophiebird
"Interesting read with a few points to ponder regarding traveling through life with too much material and/or emotional baggage. But too many examples of wealthy individuals being able change their plights. Having the funds to risk a change can always help the situation, but I was not moved by a physician setting up a practice in an under-developed country, but if it worked for him all the better for the world; or the person who took off to a safari in Tanzania. Must be nice, but not all of us ca ...more
Jay
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This started off with some interesting, new-to-me analogies to illustrate what are, let's be honest, pretty obvious suggestions that have been covered in many other self-help books and articles. I enjoyed the analogies. I liked the examples from films - I could recall each of the ones they used and could see the relationships to the points they were making. As the book kept going, however, it felt like the authors ran out of steam and didn't really have much new to say, or... much to say in a ne ...more
Maggie
Aug 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
the usual information; helpful; pulled together in one book; but nothing new. the new part is the title ... an invitation: repack your bags. it matters. the title said it all, imo. the rest of the book details how to do so and that's when the reader sees that there's nothing new here. just need to get to it. which is itself an important message of which we need to be reminded.

second reading january 2012 ... remains a decent reminder of the basics toward simplicity and wholeness that are so easil
Robin
Dec 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once in awhile, it's useful to stop and assess if we are in alignment with our vision of the "good life". Repacking Your Bags by Richard Leider can help you answer these questions and has tools to help you repack your bag and lighten your load if you find anything lacking. If you are thinking of making any changes in where you work, where you live or with relationships (or all three), I recommend you follow the exercises in this book to make sense of your life and life in an authentic meaningful ...more
Jamie
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unplug, take time to reflect, spend time with your loved ones. This is the message of this book. I felt a bit at home in Repacking Your Bags as a former Minnesotan and theology student. Its heady philosophical nature with a Scandinavian filter was all very familiar. And yet I didn't find anything new or personally useful in its pages. I suppose we could chalk this up to me being in a good place in life--perhaps the book would be more useful to someone in crisis: a job change, divorce, grief.
Melissa
I really wanted this book to be "life changing" or "thought altering" (because it was recommended to me by someone I greatly admire), but unfortunately I didn't get that much out of it. Pretty much it just says "let go of sh*t that doesn't benefit you anymore". Makes sense....good reminder I guess.
Vineca Gray
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A few life coaches write 'parables' very effectively - Robin Sharma comes to mind. Leider/Shapiro have written a very original book that doesn't depend on allegory - even though the title suggests it might. This is straight up - how to shed your old skin and move forward. No nonsense and elegantly written.
LemontreeLime
I enjoyed this one more than i thought i would. The last chapters about "getting lost/not getting lost/why _not_ get lost" are actually the best in the book. Never assume you know what's right for somebody else and then make judgements based on that. You never know where they are supposed to travel. Nicely done.
Dana
Apr 23, 2012 rated it liked it
According to this book, the average number of moves made by an American is 11. When I move to Dallas, that will be my 12th move -- interesting. This book had a number of good little tidbits, and it emphasized that "repacking your bags" is a lifelong process because change is ongoing. I found it helpful to read right now, as I am moving through a lot of transitions all at one time.
Jen
Jul 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book seems like it'd be helpful at a number of points in one's life. It was a quick read, with thought-provoking exercises that I plan to go back and do. Maybe because I'm a "process person," I also appreciated the message that the process is more important to focus on than getting to the destination.
M Pau
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to read. It teaches us to pack and repack our bags. It's a lesson we can learn by living passionately and with purpose today and tomorrow as you learn your purpose you learn to lighten the load to live a better life.
Amani
Mar 02, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What I didn't like about the book is that I felt the information is repeating itself over and over, plus the useless stories.
Ali
I get bored while reading it. At the beginning, was exciting but with the time going on i felt bored.
Velvetink
May 16, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help, psychology
Tubel
Phyl Burger
Jun 10, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not for me -- not real world.
Ilana
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little touchy-feely for my liking but I agree with the overall concept.
Vivian
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Catchy title, and interesting premise, but the basic premise could be summed up in an magazine article, and probably has been many times.
Eric Bell
This book presents a vision of a relatively baggage-free lifestyle. There is some helpful advice for your general reader and is generally well-written. I enjoyed reading the book.
Hilde Lang
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
become who you really are
Lyn
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this for my retreat group that will be getting together in the fall. I really like the metaphors used and feel this is an interesting book about transitions.
  • Confronting Reality: Doing What Matters to Get Things Right
  • Maximum Influence: The 12 Universal Laws of Power Persuasion
  • Hard Goals: The Secret to Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage
  • Sexy Little Numbers: How to Grow Your Business Using the Data You Already Have
  • SmartTribes: How Teams Become Brilliant Together
  • The Synergist: How to Lead Your Team to Predictable Success
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • The Three Rules: How Exceptional Companies Think
  • Icons and Idiots: Straight Talk on Leadership
  • Teamwork 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know
  • Tuesday Morning Coaching ... Eight Simple Truths to Boost Your Career and Your Life
  • Finding the Next Steve Jobs: How to Find, Hire, Keep and Nurture Creative Talent
  • How to Change Minds: The Art of Influence without Manipulation
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • Peace, Love and Healing: Bodymind Communication  the Path to Self-Healing: An Exploration
  • What Great Salespeople Do: The Science of Selling Through Emotional Connection and the Power of Story
  • Can't Buy Me Like
Richard’s ten books, including three best sellers, have sold over one million copies and have been translated into 20 languages. Repacking Your Bags and The Power of Purpose are considered classics in the personal development field. Richard’s “inventures” in writing books have taken him to events with readers in all 50 states, every Canadian province, and 15 countries.

As co-author of Life Reimagin

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Hit Refresh: The Quest to Rediscover Microsoft's Soul and Imagine a Better Future for Everyone
    $15.99 $2.99
  • We Are Not Such Things: The Murder of a Young American, a South African Township, and the Search for Truth and Reconciliation
  • The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit
    $12.99 $3.99
  • American Wolf: A True Story of Survival and Obsession in the West
  • Reading with Patrick: A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chancers: Addiction, Prison, Recovery, Love: One Couple's Memoir of Beating the Odds
  • In a Different Key: The Story of Autism
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
    $14.95 $2.99
  • To Have or To Be?
  • Happy Accidents
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis