Start by marking “Tamales 101: A Beginner's Guide to Making Traditional Tamales” as Want to Read:
Tamales 101: A Beginner's Guide to Making Traditional Tamales

Tamales 101: A Beginner's Guide to Making Traditional Tamales

Corn-husked bundles of fresh masa plump with wonderful combinations of sauces, meats, and vegetables—tamales are a simple and delicious staple of Mexican and Southwestern cuisine. Alice Guadalupe Tapp has perfected the art of tamale making, and in TAMALES 101 imparts her knowledge and passion for this comforting treat. TAMALES 101 will show beginners how to make masa dough ...more
Published November 12th 2002 by Ten Speed Press (first published November 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Tamales 101, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tamales 101

Start your review of Tamales 101: A Beginner's Guide to Making Traditional Tamales
Sara
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I want to make them all!!
Mary Ann
Dec 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Love this book! Great family story and wonderful recipes. Very easy to follow for a beginner like me. Made my first batch yesterday of "Veggie Special Tamales." Even though I couldn't find the recommended masa or shitake mushrooms in our little town, they were still delicious substituting with stone ground dry masa and crimini mushrooms. Next, I'm on to "Green Chile Cheese" and "Mushroom Spinach" Tamales!
R.Joseph
Sep 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Great cookbook that actual has vegan tamales in it! The book also offers some very low fat/ healthy alternatives to making awesome tamales. The green chili and jack cheese tamale recipe fixed with olive oil turned out GREAT this weekend! If you love tamales, get this book!
Stephanie
May 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Yummy, delicious, scrumptious, informative, lip-smacking, helpful and did I say yummy and delicious yet?

I have been helping/making tamales for most of my life now and have tried several variations, but this book really taught me so much more and given me the inspiration to be more adventurous with my tamale making. I was even able to convince my husband to help tie/prepare the tamales for once because he was anxious to try new meat and desert version recipes for tamales and had good written
Carolyn Injoy
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all cooks, Mexican food
Recommended to Carolyn by: NetGalley
A kindle copy of Tamales by Alice Guadalupe Tapp - Fast & Delicious Mexican Meals was provided to me by NetGalley for fair review. I gave it four stars.

The instructions are clear. I look forward to trying the techniques explained to make tamales & other recipes.

Link to purchase: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J...

Sheila
Mar 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this cookbook! I had tried making tamales before, and they were dry and tasteless. I love Tapp's recipe for the masa (I just used the dry stuff I could find in the grocery store--no fresh masa for me), and two different stuffings. Highly recommend the black bean one; the jalapeno cheese was super too spicy for me without a carton of sour cream. Well worth the buy or the check-out from the library. Oh, but it did take about 11 hours to make them. I was tired.
Sue
Sep 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
LOVE this book! If you love tamales you should have this book on your shelf. It has all kinds (meat, chicken, vegetarian and sweet). There are recipes for the sauces and the mole if you are industrious. There are tons of beautiful pictures and great intructions for the beginner as well as the seasoned tamale maker.
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
I purchased this book years ago. It was the only book that made the art of tamales doable for the inexperienced AND had several vegetarian options. I'm thinking this may be the year -- a family activity for a unique Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Pamela
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
has VEGAN and VEGETARIAN masa and fillings recipes!!!!

This book also has a lot of info on wrapping the tamales with great instructions across the board.
I am also looking forward to trying the sweet tamales ESPECIALLY the tamale dulces and sweet apple tamales!
Kbg503
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great cookbook. Haven't made tamales at home yet. Mainly use the recipes as guides for preparing/combining meat, vegetables, and sauces. Hmmm, any of the 3 pestos sounds interesting.
Lisa Smith
Jan 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Black Bean and Corn, Veggie Special, Chile Cheese are all excellent. Make the masa in two batches though-- it's too much for a home mixer.
Heidi
Dec 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
If you love to cook Mexican food, you'll love this book. The woman owns Tamara's Tamales in Marina del Rey. I wish I still lived in LA so I could try the tamales.
Gary
Dec 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Can't wait to give tamale making a try and use some of these recipes.
Naomi
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
A must purchase for any tamale lover such as myself. I loved the vegetarian tamales, but there were plenty of meat based ones, as well. Not to mention dessert tamales. Say what?
Marcie
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Every tamale recipe in this book looks amazing - after checking it out from the library I had to go buy the book - we plan on trying every recipe!
Kristi

• Geek Love
  • We Can Build You
  • Less Than Zero
  • Death of a Salesman
  • Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia, #1-7)
  • Love in the Time of Cholera