Start by marking “You Can Be a Stock Market Genius: Uncover the Secret Hiding Places of Stock Market Profits” as Want to Read:

A comprehensive and practical guide to the stock market from a successful fund manager—filled with case studies, important background information, and all the tools you’ll need to become a stock market genius.

Fund manager Joel Greenblatt has been beating the Dow (with returns of 50 percent a year) for more than a decade. And now, in this highly accessible guide, he’s going
Published February 25th 1999 by Touchstone (first published March 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about You Can Be a Stock Market Genius, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can Be a Stock Market Genius

Start your review of You Can Be a Stock Market Genius: Uncover the Secret Hiding Places of Stock Market Profits
Jeremy K
Sep 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read this book because, according to "The Big Short" by Michael Lewis, some of the clever people who foresaw and profited from the financial collapse used this book as a how-to reference guide to investing. I just finished reading it, and haven't tried any of the techniques, but they all seem to make sense.

Starting from a Benjamin Graham/Warren Buffet value-investing view that recommends investing in stocks that are undervalued by the market, author Joel Greenblatt recommends certain situation
Pushkar
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
So glad that I am a stock market genius now. :D

I started reading it because it was mentioned a couple of times in 'The Big Short' by Michael Lewis and most of the people who emerged winners in the 2008 downturn had vowed by this book.
The book highlights the special situations where value waiting to be unraveled. The author does a great job of describing all the situations in great detail. Though this is supposed to be a beginner's book, it would make a wonderful read for anybody who is interest
Russ
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately dated. It probably gave some great "secret" advice when first released but now hedge funds and mutual funds have been designed around his ideas. He describes opportunities mostly in special opportunities including:
1) spinoffs, 2) arbitrage, 3) bankruptcy and restructuring, 4) recapitalizations.

Maybe once this stock market cycle has run its course, the book will be relevant again.
Khaleel
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
An excellent book overall. Very different from almost all other value investing books as it focuses on finding special situations to invest in. This book really opened up my eyes to some new areas opportunities that I should be looking at. Once you've read the classic value investing texts it's great to discover something like this that helps investors discovers new hunting ground. Value investors should always be on the lookout for unchartered territory and this book opens up your eyes to some ...more
Iliya Polihronov
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love Joel's writings. They're simple, well explained, funny, relevant, and very well thought out. This book is a bible for dealing with special situations. I have not seen anything that comes even close to making so much sense and offering this amount of opportunity for vicarious learning in the area. ...more
Yousif Al Zeera
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finance
The book provides extensive and interesting examples of opportunities that can be exploited in spinoffs, takeovers, mergers, corporate restructurings, right offerings, and, to your disbelief, bankruptcies. In other words, "special situations".

The book may be suitable more to those with finance and/or investment backgrounds but some experience in the stock market may be enough. The author has other books that are easier for the nonspecialists.

Published in 1997 so the examples will not be too rece
Ardon Pillay
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A excellent exploration of some unique investment opportunities, and some ways to help you determine how far off the market’s pricing of a stock is.

I really enjoyed the writing style, it made reading about some relatively complex topics painless and even fun.

It’s certainly made me more keen to develop a greater understanding of how markets work.
Philip Scuderi
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the best book I've been able to find on event-driven investing. Greenblatt addresses mergers, spinoffs, recapitalizations, etc. What's more, he explains to the reader why these situations create so much opportunity. For example, spinoffs can divest a company's interest in a relatively small business or a business that is unrelated to their main business. Shareholders often unload the shares because they don't understand the smaller business or, for mutual funds, are forced sell due to th ...more
Charlie Mcdonald
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Agree with Tim Ferriss - this is a stupid book title but the book itself is very good.

It lays out how to find opportunities where nobody else is looking by taking advantage of your own research and seller psychology in a very straight forward and easy to digest way.

I honestly would never to think of investing in any of the areas Greenblatt suggest before this, but now I have a new lens to evaluate profitable opportunities.
Clement Ting
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The ideas are simple to understand. No rocket science here. Almost as though Joel was trying to teach primary school kids on how to earn some extra cash through stocks. However, do not take his words as a biblical practice. The book was written more than a decade back so you will still need to do your own homework if you really want to outperform the market.
Penny Luo
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Greenblatt introduces readers to the world of investing in special situations. He usually introduces the theories, give several case studies and then provides a summary. Very easy to read, great sense of humor. Highly recommend for those new in investments.
Ksenia
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Have you read "The Big Short"? I got the reference for this book from it, yet never got a chance to sit down and actually read it. My main concern about the book was that it was published to long ago, before the crisis, before the modern stock exchange rules and terminologies. Still, I decided to give it a try.
It was absolutely worth it. The book is not selling you some mambo-jumbo crap on how to get rich in a minute, it provides you with the way of thinking. An easy read (if you are familiar
Thomas
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfect book for beginning enterprising investors. Same goes for advanced investors wishing to find several motivated seller situations. Very well written: concise, full of wisdom and explaining/summarising motivated seller situations and why. Joel followed Einstein's advice 'Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler'. Very powerful book! ...more
Davy Hsu
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Practically a gateway drug(book) to special situation investing. Witty writing style with real life (albeit old) cases make it so much more enjoyable. Even though I wish there were more details on the research process, I fully understand the author's intention to merely spark interest. The resources page is definitely worth bookmarking. ...more
Chiso
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There a a few books, you'd wish you read earlier. This is one of those. ...more
InvestingByTheBooks.com
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
With this his first book, superstar investor Joel Greenblatt tried to bring the process that gave him his early success to the general public. Even though the author is broad within his niche - special situations - the area in itself is specialized and also highly labor intensive making the venture doomed to failure. Instead the book became an instant classic among hedge fund managers.

The basic premise of the book is that it pays off to search for areas where there is a high probability of findi
Jack Alexander
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Marvelous. I wouldn't recommend that anyone else read this book (lest they steal the fun, new investing strategies that I stole). ...more
Abir Kar
May 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
“I hated the title but liked the book.” - Michael Burry

I first heard of this book in an article where Michael Burry was listing his favourite books on investing. Most of it was pretty standard fare - The Intelligent Investor, Security Analysis etc. This book stuck out like a sore thumb thanks to its title. It sounds like one of those books you find in airport bookstalls. That might have been one of the reasons it took me so long to get to it - I just didn't think the book would have anything new
Gregory
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it
If you are a committed index investor (like I am) then you may want to pass on this book. However, if you are willing to experiment and take some risks with active strategies, the methods in this book are a great place to start.
Shishir
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An awesome book for people trying to make their mark on the stock market. Joel Greenblatt explains in a very simple manner the complexities of investing in stock market.

The book does not answer the "how" part of investing, it does not talk about the mechanisms of the stock market. Rather, it caters to a more fundamental question: the 'when' and 'where' to invest. The author, from his experience, has highlighted extraordinary events like spin-offs, mergers, restructurings etc where people can ma
Ian Cassel
Originally published in 1997, 1CYou Can Be A Stock Market Genius 1D remains popular today and is enthusiastically endorsed in a number of reviews on the internet. The author, Joel Greenblatt, ran hedge fund Gotham Capital racking up a 50% average annual return over a 10 year period spanning the mid 80 19s to the mid 90 19s. 1CYou Can Be A Stock Market Genius 1D reveals how he did it and suggests that a motivated individual could do it too, even if he wasn 19t all that smart. Mr. Greenblatt has s ...more
Endre Moen
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book has the lamest title, and the first impression isnt good when the author starts the introduction with regurping Ben Graham's Intelligent investor.

But from there on the book improves. It shows examples of special situations - which I have spendt a long time trying to learn from seasoned traders at chat-forums like Xtrainvestor.com. There are opportunitites like bankruptcy, IPO's , Spinoffs and mergers where the efficient market hypotesis clearly is invalid - and Mr. Market rules.

“What c
Brian Nwokedi
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it

Overall, a very well written and straight forward book on investing.

This book has opened up a whole new area of investment that was unknown to me. And while I might fail at implementing some of these strategies, I am very excited to at least start the process of trying to uncover some hidden opportunities.

Joel Greenblatt gives you a disciplined approach to seeking out bargains that ultimately seems to pay off. With a bit of time and effort, the average investor can gain from the strategies in t
David
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Like the book proclaims; it provides insightful advice where other investment book would otherwise shy away from. Personally, it has opened up several areas of opportunity where I would otherwise have never second guessed.

Pros:
Relatively easy read
Summarizes all the chapters
Unique insight
Case Studies

Cons:
Needs more evidence/support
Neglects other methods of investing/trading
Adam
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best investing books I have read and will be sure to recommend to others. While having many years of investing experience already this book looks at special situations like companies involved in spinoffs, mergers, coming out of bankruptcy, restructuring, LEAPS. All areas are not ones I have paid close attention to but now feel prepared to investigate for future opportunities. A great tool and service for any investor to have in their repertoire.
Jake Roese
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: most-coveted, finance
If event driven investing turns your gears this is the book for you. LEAPs, warrants, spin-offs, mergers, bankruptcy, and stub stocks are all covered, presenting the reader with a cornucopia of obscure investment ideas. Greenblatt is a genius and funny to boot. Learn to make a fortune and read this book.
Varun Rajwade
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dont get put-off by the cheesy and shady title - YCBaSMG is a superb book that focusses on special situations that arise from time to time in the markets and how a smart (and hard-working) investor can profit tremendously from these situations. The book does a really good job of showcasing these situations. Not too hard to read either (well except a few chapters)!!
Frederic Kerr
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Don't be turned off by the hokey title. This is a readable, entertaining guide to investing in spinoffs, turnarounds and special situations. Joel Greenblatt runs a successful hedge fund and knows his stuff. For intermediate investors. ...more
Brian Moyer
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Several great investing ideas relating to special corporate situations. Not for the average investor. If you had enough money and wanted to quit your day job and do lots of reading and research this would be a great strategy.
J
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Easily one of the top 3 worst titles I've ever seen for a book; easily one of the top 3 books on investing I've ever read. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Value Investing: From Graham to Buffett and Beyond
  • Margin of Safety: Risk-Averse Value Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor
  • Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits and Other Writings
  • Beating the Street
  • One Up On Wall Street: How to Use What You Already Know to Make Money in the Market
  • The Warren Buffett Way: Investment Strategies of the World's Greatest Investor
  • Security Analysis: Principles and Technique
  • The Education of a Value Investor: My Transformative Quest for Wealth, Wisdom, and Enlightenment
  • The Intelligent Investor
  • The Most Important Thing: Uncommon Sense for the Thoughtful Investor
  • 100 Baggers: Stocks That Return 100-To-1 and How to Find Them
  • The Dhandho Investor: The Low-Risk Value Method to High Returns
  • Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist
  • The Little Book of Value Investing
  • The Interpretation of Financial Statements: The Classic 1937 Edition
  • The Acquirer's Multiple: How the Billionaire Contrarians of Deep Value Beat the Market
  • Fooling Some of the People All of the Time, a Long Short (and Now Complete) Story, Updated with New Epilogue
  • The Little Book of Behavioral Investing: How Not to Be Your Own Worst Enemy
See top shelves…
Joel Greenblatt is an American hedge fund manager and founder of Gotham Capital. He is also an academic and a writer. He is also an adjunct professor at the Columbia University Graduate School of Business. He is the former chairman of the board of Alliant Techsystems and founder of the New York Securities Auction Corporation.

News & Interviews

When it comes to whiling away the dog days of summer, nothing is better than a good book. Or two. Or three. Let’s say ten! We’re getting...
“The strategy of putting all your eggs in one basket and watching that basket is less risky than you might think.” 5 likes
“So one way to create an attractive risk/reward situation is to limit downside risk severely by investing in situations that have a large margin of safety. The upside, while still difficult to quantify, will usually take care of itself. In other words, look down, not up, when making your initial investment decision. If you don’t lose money, most of the remaining alternatives are good ones.” 4 likes