Start by marking “Confessions of an Irish Rebel” as Want to Read:
Confessions of an Irish Rebel

Confessions of an Irish Rebel

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  408 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The immigration man read my deportation order, looked at it and handed it back to me. 'Are you Irish?' he asked me.

'No' I said 'as a matter of fact, I'm Yemenite Arab.'

Two detectives came forward who were evidently there to meet me. 'Apparently he is Brendan Behan,' they said.

The immigration officer shook my hand and his hard face softened. 'Cead mile failte romhat abhaile
Published April 5th 1990 by Arrow (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of an Irish Rebel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of an Irish Rebel

Jordan
The mention of Brendan Behan will bring at least a smile to those who know him, for it cannot be said that he did not bring out the spirit in everyone he met.

"I am a drinker with writing problems." wrote Behan, so it was no surprise to anyone, especially himself, that he died from his excesses. Dead at 41 years of age in March of 1964, he left us richer with his plays and stories, now much appreciated by another generation.

Confessions of an Irish Rebel goes much farther that an autobiography,
Tim
Sep 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
more like 4.5 stars, honestly. and then only because it's being compared to Borstal Boy. This second memoir is also incredible, just a few things I wasn't too keen on about it, but overall fantastic. more name-droppy than Borstal Boy but if I drank with samuel beckett i'd probably name drop him too...

Ian
Apr 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was my first Brendan Behan book, and definately not my last. I am eager to check out Borstal Boy asap! Behan's humor is classic, even through tough times in his life. It's important to read the forward in this book to understand why it jumps around so much.
Benny
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites, was my introduction to Behan. I devoured it in a night and acquired Borstal Boy the next day.

It reads like you were listening to Behan reminisce over a pint of porter; a quality I found absolutely enthralling.

My words cannot do justice to this gem of a book

Paul
May 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Follow up to Borstal Boy is entertaining, but tends to wander at times. The anecdotes are often very funny, and the dialogue again is strong. Ends quite suddenly, and I felt that there could have been more detail on his writing career.
China Bialos
Dec 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Never again will I neglect the opportunity to throw an insult like "you poxy-faced bastard of a whore's melt." The narration does jump around a bit, but it's entertaining and reads exactly as I imagine he spoke.
Patrick O'Mahony
Mar 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Brilliant writing from Brendan Behan, autobiographical, hilarious in parts. The man was a walking metaphor for all that is/was Irish.
Jeremy
Jun 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is the second half of Behan's Autobio. I think much funnier than Borstal Boy
Meghan
Fell in LOVE with Behan while touring the Dublin Writer's Museum. Can't wait to read this book.
Evan
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
My impression of "Confessions of an Irish Rebel" is undoubtedly flavored by the introduction, which concedes that the book was transcribed from tape recordings of its enigmatic and often-intoxicated subject. This is certainly an acceptable practice among even the most respected authors, but it probably also explains why "Confessions" sounds much different than Behan's first, and no doubt most significant, work, "Borstal Boy."

"Borstal Boy" was a long haul for me (but well worth it) because it's
Christopher
  • How the Irish Invented Slang: The Secret Language of the Crossroads
  • Twenty Years A-Growing
  • Making Sense of the Troubles: The Story of the Conflict in Northern Ireland
  • Mick: The Real Michael Collins
  • Nothing But an Unfinished Song: Bobby Sands, the Irish Hunger Striker Who Ignited a Generation
  • Mother Ireland: A Memoir
  • On Another Man's Wound
  • Guerilla Days in Ireland: A Personal Account of the Anglo-Irish War
Brendan Francis Behan (Irish: Breandán Ó Beacháin) (9 February 1923 – 20 March 1964) was an Irish poet, short story writer, novelist, and playwright who wrote in both Irish and English. He was also an Irish republican and a volunteer in the Irish Republican Army.

Behan was born in the inner city of Dublin on 9 February 1923 into an educated working class family. He lived in a house on Russell Stree
More about Brendan Behan...