Start by marking “The Return of Rafe MacKade (The MacKade Brothers, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Return of Rafe MacKade (The MacKade Brothers, #1)

The Return of Rafe MacKade (The MacKade Brothers #1)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  9,372 Ratings  ·  328 Reviews
Ten years after disappearing from Antietam, Maryland, the bad boy has returned. Cleaned up and successful now—and still dangerously good-looking—Rafe MacKade sets the town on fire, and tongues wagging.

Lovely newcomer Regan Jones is intrigued—what kind of man could cause this sort of talk? She's just about to find out....
Published June 20th 2011 by Silhouette Desire (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Return of Rafe MacKade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Return of Rafe MacKade

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
I really enjoyed this story! There's some drama, romance, tension, and lots of passion. Antietam is an exciting place to live, what with all those McKade brothers hanging around, and I'm looking forward to reading more.
valee
This was the greatest, sweetest and loveliest book ever. It might be short but in this case it worked just fine. Seriously don't stop reading this book just because it's shorter than most of NR's books because this one is a really outstanding read. I haven't read much from this author, only her In Death series and her In the Garden trilogy ... I'm sorry to mention that while I like her In Death series, I didn't enjoy that much the other one. And eventually I got a bit bored of the In Death serie ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*DNF audiobook at 42%*

I really didn't like this old (1995) Nora Roberts, which bums me out to no end because Nora Roberts wrote one of my favorite reads of 2015, The Witness.

This book felt alpha male in a way that borders on forceful and rape-y. I didn't like Rafe as a character, not AT ALL. This book also had a ton of head-hopping, which confused me, especially in audiobook format.

The audio narration was not my style. Luke Daniels over-acted and sounded just plain silly, like he was narrating
Cyndi
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how Nora Roberts does it. She might be a witch. This book was published in 1995 and it is still great!
The MacKade brothers were trouble. Rafe was the worse. After his mother died Rafe left the small town to make his fortune.
Ten years later he returns. He buys the old haunted house to turn it into a B&B. He also meets Regan. She sells antiques. Romance ensues with the kind of passion Nora excels at writing.
Excellent book!! 😁
Chitra *CJ*
"The return of Rafe Mackade" is the first in the Mackade brother series.
Years ago, second of the four MacKade brothers, the notorious Rafe left town when his parents passed away and it had nothing more to offer him.
Going to the city, he made money, helped his brothers, and returned years later as the owner of a successful construction company.
Coming back, one of the first thing he notices is the antique shop owner, pretty, independent Regan- and he relentlessly pursues her.
I enjoyed their slow
Mojca
Oh, wow. No matter the "age of material", Nora Roberts simply never disappoints. I don't know how the woman did it/does it/will probably continue doing it, but she always delivers. (I found that the stories by her that didn't really "sing" to me were just read at inopportune moments.)

And this little, ole gem was no different. With just the right amount of romance, suspense, family, and friends, and a haunted house thrown into the mix, this was a winner the moment I picked it up. Wonderful charac
ShoSho
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dd, x-2014
A hunted bed and breakfast in a small town with a bunch of hot brothers ? It sounds so familiar! Oh yes Nora Roberts wrote it again in 2011 The Next Always . I liked this one better!
Brooke Moss
Jul 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Frankly, the day I have the sales record and the fanbase that Nora Roberts has, will be the day I criticize her books. Though this book felt sort of "formulaic", it was a consistent read. When I pick up a Nora Roberts book, I expect to be 1.) Entertained; 2.) I expect lots of romance and heat (not overly hot...just hot. Romance readers will understand what I'm saying.), 3.) I expect the characters to fall in love despite the fact they never expected to, and 4.) I expect a H.E.A. (Because I am a ...more
Goldilox
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such an innocent looking book cover...how wonderfully deceiving :3
It's your typical perfect polished girl falling for the town bad boy, but who doesn't love that?

Rafe MacKade was the town rebel and trouble maker along with his 3 brothers, Shane, Jared and Devin, he leaves his home town searching for something has not too sure of, and doesn't return for 10years.

Regan is an anquites seller and has lived in Rafes hometown for 3 years when he moves back, the instant they meet there's sparks and this
Jacob Proffitt
This book was a little problematic, but mostly because of Rafe's characterization. Regan is awesome, though her interactions with Rafe are a little too subtly drawn. Which is part of the problem with Rafe's characterization, really. You see, Rafe is one of those mostly inarticulate men who expresses himself physically—often violently in contexts with other men (say, his brothers). He isn't mean, vicious, or uncontrolled, but it'd be easy to read him as dangerous if you aren't careful. Unfortunat ...more
Lady Jaye
Aug 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of contemporary romance
Recommended to Lady Jaye by: Lady Vale

This is the first book in a quartet that comes highly recommended by Lady Vale (and most of my other friends who have read it have loved it too). And no one writes contemporary romance quite like Nora Roberts. So with these two things in mind, I was sure I was going to love the book/series. Things didn’t happen quite like I planned.

I haven’t read a contemporary romance for some time, and it took a while, but Nora Roberts sucked me into the fabric of her story and made me care about what
Pam H
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: k, 2x, z2015, z2014
The first in a series about the MacKade brothers of Antietam, MD. After their mother dies Rafe leaves town, knowing he cant stay or his life will be a waste. Ten years later he has returned having made his money in real estate and with plenty of sweat equity.

Regan Jones has left the big city to find what she is looking for - a life. She owns the antique store and helps Rafe fulfill his dream of restoring the scary mansion on the edge of the battlefield from the Civil War conflict named for the t
Mareli
Jun 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love those series about a little town, everybody with a history known by everyone, LOL.

In this first book we meet Rake McKade, gone away for a long time and just come back. He's a very sweet and caring hero, trying to be hard but he has a very romantic heart. She's sassy and strong and she knows what she wants. So, he capitulated with grace. In the background there's this haunted house, bought by Rafe with ghosts and stories.

A really nice reading. I'm already on book 2.
Leea
Sep 01, 2013 rated it liked it
2.5...

This is my second Nora Roberts book and I have to say, I enjoyed the story but not the delivery. Maybe it was just how Regan and Rafe played games and that just started to bother me.

I'm interested in Regan's friend Cassie and how she might play into the series.
Wendy F
aiiiii tao fofinhoooo
Victoria
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: worth-re-reading
I really, really, really loved this book... it was oh so sexy and romantic!!! I can't wait to read the other books in the series.
Cindi
Mar 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nora-roberts, series
It's Nora Roberts so of course I loved it.
Sam (AMNReader)
Nov 05, 2017 marked it as life-is-too-short  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 20% No rating b/c it's just not my style, I doubt there's anything really horribly wrong with it. Probably.

Because I believe in swift decisions. And there was a paranormal element that I have low tolerance for.

And also, the hero's eyes are green. The heroine is super hot. The hero's hair is black. the heroine's eyes are blue. They are both super hot.

Nora Roberts and I just don't gel.
Mara
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Pretty short cont romance. Not my cup, as there's no plot except boy meets girl. Boring really. And I don't find attractive that kind of male behaviour. I call it predatory and in your face.
If I am working with you it's not acceptable.
Lauren
The Return of Rafe MacKade
4 Stars

Regan and Rafe’s romance is your typical clash of wills storyline as Regan strives to maintain her independence in the face of her intense attraction to Rafe. The characters are well developed with enough detail concerning their pasts to make the conflict between the two believable. Moreover, the small town atmosphere and the dynamic between the MacKade brothers is wonderful, and their banter and antics make them completely irresistible.

The secondary plot revolv
Kate Sherwood
DNF

I think old-school romance is just not for me. At ALL.

I mean, I only made it a few chapters in to this one, but if a random man I was trying to do business with kept lifting me up and carrying me when I expressly told him not to, unbuttoning my clothes when we were in the middle of a business conversation (without ANY prior relationship or invitation) and kissing me without invitation moments after I'd passed out and while I was still trying to maintain a business relationship, I'd call him
Amanda Sheila
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
I loved it!

I rarely read Nora Roberts mostly because I haven't really know her style of writing. I guess I'm too caught up with Diana Palmer so I don't know a thing about her books.

This is my second book of Nora Roberts I've read and so far, this one's my favorite. I like Rafe, Nora wrote him differently. As an 'alpha' man, sure he's intimidating and big but I like the way Nora described his feeling so vivid and simple. Even though sometime the change of point of view is a but confusing but I
Anne OK
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
Enjoyable romance from Nora Roberts. I almost always am a sucker for a family-related series. This one includes four brothers, the MacKade boys. Gorgeous bad boys - each and every one in his own right. Rafe left town ten years ago. Now he's back and is going to prove something to the town who always thought he would end up in jail or dead. And along comes a beautiful antique dealer and reeks havoc on Rafe's plans. There's a haunted house involved, a lot of humorous dialogue, a wonderful romance, ...more
Paraphrodite
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2016
The first of the MacKade brothers series. Rafe is the prodigal black sheep returning to town to fix up the local haunted house into a B&B. Regan is the owner of the new local antique shop. There's a bit of paranormal stuff going on but in the main, it's straight CR from the 1990s. Quite readable.
Jacqueline
Short and sweet. A simple story of two people who meet and fall in love with a few miscommunication issues along the way. Loved the interaction with his brothers. And I'm looking forward to reading their stories.
Geo Marcovici
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Atat de bine imbina un pic de magie prin povestea de dragoste...!!
Recenzia mea completa, aici:
Megan
The ending of this book was sooo funny. I loved this book and the whole series. Nora Roberts is so great!
Rebekah
Apr 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-challenge
HMMM. This one was... interesting to say the least but I felt like I wanted to smack the h though. I just kept wanting to say "HUH" what era is this?
Christine~justlovemybooks.com blog~
I first read this on paperback in 1995 and absolutely freakin loved it. Well 20 years later nothing has changed. I'm looking forward to re-read the rest of the series.
Unknown book 1 2 Sep 19, 2017 10:18AM
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Love Has No Boundaries Anthology: Volume 6
  • Indiscreet (www.girl-gear... #6)
  • The Dom with the Kink Monsters (Badass Brats, #4)
  • The McKettrick Way (McKettricks, #9)
  • Awaken to Pleasure
  • Only By Your Touch
  • Hummingbird Lake (Eternity Springs, #2)
  • Instant Gratification (Wilder, #2)
  • Finding Perfect (Fool's Gold, #3)
  • A Duke of Her Own (Rogues and Roses, #1)
  • Lead Me On (Tumble Creek, #3)
  • Mackenzie's Pleasure (Mackenzie Family, #3)
  • Suddenly You (Porter Siblings, #2)
  • Chased (Chase Brothers, #3)
  • Birmingham Rose
  • Just Like a Man (OPUS prequel)
  • What Happened at Midnight
More about Nora Roberts...

The MacKade Brothers (4 books)
  • The Pride of Jared MacKade (The MacKade Brothers, #2)
  • The Heart of Devin MacKade (The MacKade Brothers, #3)
  • The Fall of Shane MacKade (The MacKade Brothers, #4)
“Can you stand a little closer?"
"Hmm?"
"You smell good. I like to smell you.”
11 likes
“Angling his head, Rafe put a hand on Regan’s shoulder. “Dibs,” he said in a mild warning. “Excuse me?” Regan stepped back and gaped. “I beg your pardon, but did you just say ‘Dibs’?” “Yeah.” Rafe bit off candy, offered her the rest of the bar. When she smacked his hand away, he only shrugged and ate it himself. “Of all the ridiculous, outrageous— You’re a grown man, and you’re standing there eating candy and saying ‘Dibs’ as if I were the last ice-cream bar in the freezer.” 2 likes