Start by marking “Strange Eons” as Want to Read:
Strange Eons

Strange Eons

What men know is called science; what they have not yet learned they call magic. But both are real.... — In the world of today and the near future, three people inexorably linked by a common interest in the work of H. P. Lovecraft, discover: —

that the legendary creatures he created in his fantasies have hideous counterparts in reality...
that his fiction is incredible fac
Published June 28th 1979 by Pinnacle Books (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Strange Eons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strange Eons

mark monday
time again for LOVE ♥ CRAFT ♥ CONNECTION...
THE ♥ GAY ♥ EDITION
!

this roman à clef features hunky bachelor CTHULHU and charming man-about-town NYARLOTHOTEP.

Cthulhu
 photo Just_for_fun__Hot_Cthulhu_by_advs14u2nv_zpsenjgkqwi.jpg

Nicknames: The Many-Tentacled One, The Dweller in the Deep
Likes: dreaming, sending dreams to minions, the watery depths, water sports in general
Dislikes: locked gates, being stuck at the bottom of the ocean
Favorite Craft: although he enjoys the comforts of home and armchair traveling via the minds of his minions, Mr. Cthulhu also lo
K.T. Katzmann
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of cultists and psycho, Cthulhu Keepers who want pointers
Recommended to K.T. by: @ANRLizzy
What's the best way to write a Lovecraftian book? Be a member of the Lovecraft Circle.

Robert Bloch, having sold his first story at 18, is a near-endless source of wonder and envy for me. Having known H.P. Lovecraft, he's one of the few perfect choices to play in Howie's sandbox. I've wanted to see how it turned out for years, but until a dear friend and talented podcaster sent me a copy, I couldn't get my hands on one.

Now that I have it, I can legitimately say this is wonderfully different than
Olethros
-Honores y desorden, con la mejor de las intenciones.-

Género. Narrativa fantástica.

Lo que nos cuenta. El habitante más conocido de Rlyeh va a salir de su sueño muy pronto, y la compra de un inquietante cuadro desencadena una serie inesperada de acontecimientos…

¿Quiere saber más del libro, sin spoilers? Visite:

James
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't often make it a habit to read Lovecraft pastiches, seeing as how (with some exceptions to the rule) the end results are often on the dire side: however, this book is often namechecked by the occultist Kenneth Grant in the latter volumes of his Typhonian Trilogies, so naturally I was somewhat curious about its contents (it was also highly praised by S.T. Joshi in his book The Rise and Fall of the Cthulhu Mythos, though he was also quick to point out that as good as it was, it was still no ...more
Brian Sammons
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love the cold, cosmic horror H.P. Lovecraft gave to the world. I love the darkly grinning and malevolently winking nightmares of Robert Bloch. Combine the two and you get one hell of a book any fan of the Cthulhu Mythos, Mr. Bloch, and especially those who love both, should read at once. This right here is the good stuff.
Olethros
Mar 18, 2013 rated it liked it
-Honores y desorden, con la mejor de las intenciones.-

Género. Narrativa fantástica.

¿Quiere saber más del libro, sin spoilers? Visite:

Randy Ray
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great, heartfelt love letter to the Cthulhu Mythos fiction of HP Lovecraft. The storyline assumes that Lovecraft wasn't writing fiction at all; he was trying to warn people. The book consists of three novellas, all of which allude to various stories from Lovecraft. Great stuff.
Marvin
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, autographed
Robert Bloch's best book after Psycho and one of the best novels based on Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos.

Alessandro
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
L'incipit è buono, fa rivivere le atmofere un po' polverose ma sempre affascinanti dei vecchi romanzi dell'orrore di inizio Novecento. Poi la trama diventa più concreta, attuale e ingarbugliata, tra complotti, servizi segreti e sette sataniche fino all'inevitabile spiegone finale.
Un'omaggio a Lovecraft riuscito a metà a causa di una storia che non cattura abbastanza e di personaggi poco caratterizzati.
Mi aspettavo meglio.
Doug Allison
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is, in my opinion, the BEST Lovecraft/Mythos paniche out there! written with love and admiration for Lovecraft and his concepts. A terrific terror novel, and well worth finding on your own!
John Frasene
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book disappointed a bit because some of Bloch’s mythos stories, like “The Shadow from the Steeple” and “Notebook Found in a Deserted House” are excellent. This story, though, reads as a bland homage to Lovecraft where Bloch tries to cram in as many aspects of the mythos as possible. There isn’t much horror to it, just knowing glances as Lovecraft’s best-known stories are referenced.
Alexander Draganov
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The chilling conclusion of the Cthulhu Mythos comes in the ultimate Lovecraft fanfiction, written by the great Robert Bloch. What if Lovecraft wrote his stories about the Great Old Ones not as fiction, but as a warning? Bloch answers this question in the best way possible and did something, which no other Cthulhu author dared - not Derleth, nor Masterton - he took the story to the end, which Lovecraft himself would have written.
A great read! You can read more detailed review in Bulgarian here:
ht
Henrik
Jul 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone enjoying pulpish Cthulhu Mythos and homage to HPL
Recommended to Henrik by: S. T. Joshi
Kurt Springs
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review was first published on Kurt's Frontier.

Synopsis:

“That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.” (The Call of Cthulhu 1928)

“It is said that what men know is called science; what they have not yet learned they call magic. But both are real…” What if Howard P. Lovecraft was not just an author. What if he were using fiction to deliver a veiled warning. Suppose that the creatures of his legendarium had horrific counterparts in reality.

Three people are
Geneva
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Meh. It sounds dumb to complain that a book based on the premise that Lovecraft is true feels derivative (because of COURSE it's derivative) but... God this felt derivative. I just... I expected a book with that premise to be interesting and this just... wasn't, and while of COURSE a book like this would have to reference Lovecraft, it did it too much. There was a lot of "Oh the thing that just happened was EXACTLY LIKE IN THAT ONE BIT IN THE DUNWICH HORROR" and yeah, okay, maybe you could use L ...more
Fraser Sherman
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
HP Lovecraft wasn't writing fiction, he was writing a warning!
That's the premise of this novel by Robert Bloch, which opens with an art collector buying one of the paintings from "Pickman's Model." Before long, he's plunged into a Lovecraftian world and discovers everything Lovecraft wrote about was real. Oh, and the time for Cthulhu's rising is very, very near ...
The opening and closing sections are effective; the middle is weaker as it gets into a long discussion of Lovecraft I just skimmed. A
Mike
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What if HP Lovecrafts's Mythos stories were not weird fiction, but disguised accounts of actual event? A number of writers have used this premise over the years, but Robert Bloch is probably the first. Bloch's style is not Lovecraft's, but the story doesn't suffer for the fact. Bloch's rather matter of fact account of the sinister plans of the Cthulhu cult gives it a slight sheen of unreality. As events become more bizarre, the characters have a hard time accepting their reality, and I felt the ...more
Jafetkami
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Un libro lleno de referencias a las obras de Lovecraft, me esperaba algo mucho mejor, pero resulto ser buena.
Si no se conoce ninguna obra de H.P Lovecraft no recomiendo esta novela, en caso contrario resulta emocionante encontrar cada una de las referencias en esta novela.
Jönathan
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I admit I half-expected the Reverend Nye (for Nyarlathotep) to start preaching about how the White Man is the Devil. He didn't but he did talk jive at one point.
George K.
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Το βιβλίο το είχα πετύχει μόλις δυο φορές στα τόσα μου βιβλιοσαφάρι στα παλαιοβιβλιοπωλεία, μια στο Μοναστηράκι με δώδεκα ευρώ και μια κάπου στην Ιπποκράτους με δεκαπέντε ευρώ, αναστέναξα βαθιά και κούνησα το κεφάλι απογοητευμένος με το που άκουσα τις τιμές και άφησα τα δυο αυτά αντίτυπα να πιάνουν σκόνη. Τελικά, στην τρίτη μου (και φαρμακερή!) προσπάθεια, το πέτυχα σε ένα βιβλιοπωλείο στην Χαλκίδα, στην τιμή που αναγράφεται στο οπισθόφυλλο, με μια μικρή έκπτωση.

Το βιβλίο αποτελείται από ένα μυ
Ekel Adolf
Jun 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Jose Luis Meza Garcia
This may sound really strange but while reading “Strange Eons” I kept thinking about the movie Mamma Mia. You can ask what does Lovecraft has in common with the movie from the Abba Album; well both are structured the same way. In Mamma Mia, the story is driven so the characters can sing one of the hits from Abba. In strange Eons, the story is structured so the characters can see the similarities to one of the Lovecraft horror stories. I don’t think I’ve read all the Lovecraft stories (shame on m ...more
Brian Carpenter
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Roger
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Strange Eons is a novel that is a child of its' era. Just look at that funktastic cover-you know a time capsule from the swinging seventies is hidden underneath that. I don't know how many people under thirty (I'm from the sixties) remember Robert Bloch. If you do you probably remember him as the author of Psycho. But Bloch was a prolific author who cut his teeth on the pulps. He corresponded with HP Lovecraft up until Lovecraft's death and in fact Strange Eons is an ode to Bloch's fellow writer ...more
Trae Brookins
Jul 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A definite 3.5 to 3.75. Basically, what if Lovecraft wasn't writing history but was trying to warn us all. Now it's the late 1970s and all hell...male that Cthulhu...is about to break loose. This book is out of print and not worth purchasing unless you are hardcore into HPL or Robert Bloch--it's probably not at your local library either...but there's always inter library loan. It's a fun and quick read.
Aaron
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read Strange Eons back when I was 12 years old and was excited to revisit it. Bloch definitely lives up to his position as a member of the Lovecraft Circle with this tale. His capability to weave different elements of the Lovecraft mythos into the evolving plot without shoe-horning them in makes for an organic story that ages incredibly well. Highly recommend it.
Garau
Aug 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Da leggere, gli ho dato tre stelle solamente perché l'incipit mi è sembrato banale e il finale non è reso tanto bene, comunque la storia principale (il libro è composto da tre capitoli) narrata nel secondo capitolo merita da sola la lettura del libro. Qualche pagina in più per delineare meglio l'inizio e un finale meno frettoloso non avrebbero fatto male.
Roberta
Riassunto: marito rompe le scatole ai Grandi Antichi e a pagarne lo scotto è la ex-moglie.
Battute a parte è una bella storia, preciso omaggio a H. P. Lovecraft in cui si citano tanti racconti del ciclo di Cthulhu. Francamente mi sarei fermata alla storia di lui e lei e ammetto di non aver apprezzato più di tanto quell'ultimo capitolo che vola a 25 anni dopo.
Jason
Jun 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
When I was a kid, this book scared the beejesus out of me. My first exposure to Lovercraftian horror.
Jason
Oct 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Halloween 2014 book #2
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Shub-Niggurath Cycle: Tales of the Black Goat with a Thousand Young (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • Disciples of Cthulhu
  • The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana: A Guide to Lovecraftian Horror
  • The Trail of Cthulhu
  • The Children of Cthulhu: Chilling New Tales Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft
  • Hive (Hive, #1)
  • Low Red Moon (Chance Matthews #2)
  • Weird Shadows Over Innsmouth
  • Tales from the Nightside
  • The 37th Mandala
  • The Watchers Out of Time
Robert Albert Bloch was a prolific American writer. He was the son of Raphael "Ray" Bloch (1884, Chicago-1952, Chicago), a bank cashier, and his wife Stella Loeb (1880, Attica, Indiana-1944, Milwaukee, WI), a social worker, both of German-Jewish descent.

Bloch wrote hundreds of short stories and over twenty novels, usually crime fiction, science fiction, and, perhaps most influentially, horror fict