Start by marking “Dr. Folkman's War: Angiogenesis and the Struggle to Defeat Cancer” as Want to Read:
Dr. Folkman's War: Angiogenesis and the Struggle to Defeat Cancer

Dr. Folkman's War: Angiogenesis and the Struggle to Defeat Cancer

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  63 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In 1961, twenty-eight-year-old Dr. Judah Folkman saw something while doing medical research in a United

States navy lab that gave him the first glimmering of a wild, inspired hunch. What if cancerous tumors, in order to expand, needed to trigger the growth of new blood vessels to feed themselves? And if that was true, what if a way could be found to stop that growth? Could
Published February 6th 2001 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Dr. Folkman's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dr. Folkman's War

Bonnie
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
My sister Loni loaned me this book. When she was in Boston in June, I heard her address a crowd of 400 people in the Grand Ballroom of the Copley Plaza (yes, of course I’m bragging!). All of the participants in that Hemangioma conference were given a signed copy of Dr. Folkman’s War. At some point I began to read this book, was riveted, but then life took over and I set it aside. When I got to Jamaica, I picked up where I had left off.

This is the amazing story of Judah Folkman. It was written be
Michelle
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I searched for this book after watching a fascinating TED talk on the topic. I am no scientisit, but have always been interested in science and in particular anything to do with medicine. Dr. Folkman is a hero for our time. Besides being a gifted surgeon who's saved countless lives, his research and dedication to his theory born in the 60s/70s is responsible for countless progress against not only cancer, but any number of human diseases. It was interesting to learn of the politics in the resear ...more
Ruth
Aug 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: scientific researchers
Recommended to Ruth by: NOVA (PBS program)
I heard on NPR this week that Judah Folkman, which reminded me how much I loved this book. Who ever thought a book about biochemistry could be such a page-turner. Too bad it's out of print. Folkman's story of discovering the substance that causes tumors to recruit their own blood vessels takes you back and forth over that blurred line between optimistic tenacity and boneheaded obstinacy. How does a person hang on to a tenuous theory for FIFTEEN YEARS, in the face of ridicule and peer pressure co ...more
Lawrence
An important scientific biography of Dr. Judah Folkman, a gifted clinician and medical researcher. Folkman's lifelong quest to find out how malignant cancer cells spread, leading to his discovery and elucidation of Tumor Angiogenesis Factor (TAF), is an inspiring story of the intersection of bedside medicine with fundamental molecular biology. Folkman's work is among the most promising in the decades-long war against cancer and his pursuit will ultimately stand him alongside Pasteur, Fleming and ...more
Kristen
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Although I had come to know of Dr. Folkman in the world of pediatric surgery as the father of angiogenesis, I had not fully realized the magnitude of his contribution nor the lifetime of commitment behind the accomplishment. The adversity he encountered in the early phase of his scientific career had never been evident to me, having only known of him as the revered and successful surgeon-scientist. Cooke tells the story well, weaving a story that can be appreciated in human and scientific terms.
Nirmal Raut
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's really inspiring to read how the amalgamation of perseverance ,vision and pure obsession of a single individual made such huge chances in the field of science .
Mary Spencer
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In 1969 I met Dr Folkman while working ar Children's Hospital Boston. No other scientist surgeon of many world reknowned I came to meet since matched his calm and focused spirit nor his ability to explain seemingly incomprehensible concepts as angiogenesis to a nonprofessional like me. Whether during the day photographing electrophoresis plates or finding him outside his lab late on Sunday evenings he was always a pleasure to see. I miss him.
Lianne
Sep 17, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in medicine
This is the man my daughter works for at the lab at Dana Farber and Childrens. He is an amazing man and his discoveries and story of how it has all come about is incredible. He has been finding way to defeat cancer for most of his life.
Deb
Jul 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book about how close-minded "Science" can be and how the scientific method can delay intuitive thinkers really reinforced my scepticism about academia. Another interested book to read at the same time is "Patenting the Sun" about Jonas Salk.
K Kelley
Jan 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
fascinating! I usually avoid non-fiction but I read this when I was working at Children's Hospitsl Bodton doing research and had the wonderful opportunity to attend a lecture by Dr Folkman.
Lisa Misquitta