Start by marking “September” as Want to Read:
September

September

As spring comes to Scotland and the hills burst into life, a dance is planned for September. The invitations summon home the group of people Violet Aird has cared for most in her long life. The oldest, strongest and wisest of them all, she sees Alexa, her vulnerable granddaughter, find love for the first time, while the decision to send her little grandson away to school ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published January 1990)

To ask other readers questions about September, please sign up.
Annie Kate Good story, incredible prose, but, yes, it is about some very difficult parts of life: mental health issues, moral issues, marriage and parenting…moreGood story, incredible prose, but, yes, it is about some very difficult parts of life: mental health issues, moral issues, marriage and parenting issues, ageing, war. Somehow it manages to be a positive book anyhow.(less)

Start your review of September
Candi
I happily ‘discovered’ Rosamunde Pilcher less than two years ago when I read The Shell Seekers. I adored that book! I immediately added nearly all of her novels to my list of must-read books. Coming Home was my next encounter with her work and I was equally enthralled. At that point I laid aside my prior misconception that Pilcher wrote only ‘chick-lit’, a genre towards which I am not personally drawn. There was so much depth to her characters and the writing was so intelligent and tasteful that ...more
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
I have varied thoughts about “September”......my first book by Rosamunde Pilcher.
There is nothing particularly extraordinary about the plot: A big party - dance - is going to take place in September for Katy on her 21st birthday.
Most of the action - or lack of action - takes place in Croy, Scotland....with visits to London.

For me - what kept me reading - with invested interest - was that I was reading this book with a group of wonderful women. We’ve been discussing this novel in a group thread
chris
Aug 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to chris by: my dear friend Elizabeth
I enjoyed The Shell Seekers so much I jumped to read another on of her books. Pilcher's novels are full of description and character and the countryside of Scotland. At first I was not sure about her, as I was pretty sure she was on my mom's nightstand back in the day... but she's got It. Instead of a quick spicy snack, her books are a long comforting meal best eaten slowly and with a nice glass of wine. :)
Suzanne
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mum, borrowed
Another satisfying Rosamunde Pilcher novel. I am so glad my mum told me all about her, now I seek at least one to read over the summer break - it's just that kind of wholesome soulful reading. September was a touch long, but still with that feeling of warmth, of coming home. This is the way I feel when I read Maeve Binchy, also. I like feeling this way.

This is so sweet, I feel we don't think of the simple stuff anymore. He had his supper and his bath, and was now in bed reading his library
Audrey
Sep 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Rosamunde Pilcher. Her novels manage to give home-making the importance and satisfaction it deserves. I always want to tidy up my home and put out some fresh flowers after finishing one of her books. She has strong, older female characters who seem so real. This is a great read for . . . what else, September! :)
Debbie Zapata
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019sundaze
My fourth Pilcher, and my least favorite. Only four stars, not five. Why?

I have grown to appreciate the comfort-read aspect of this author, which for me means that I know what to expect in her books. But I guessed too much of the plot ahead of time in this book, so maybe it was a little too comfy?

I loved visiting Scotland, immersing myself for a few days in a world I will never actually see but can easily imagine: the big country estate, grand old houses, guests for dinners and parties, and the
Heidi
Nov 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book last week again for maybe the 10th time. Everytime I read it, I love it more and more. It's a book that pulls you into the beautiful world of Scotland and weaves you through the lives of well-rounded, fascinating characters.
Sotiris Karaiskos
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
In the last year, I have had the opportunity to meet some writers for the first time and go further in the work of others who really know how to write and create beauty through their texts. One of these writers was Rosamunde Pilcher, who in each of her books offers me hours of reading pleasure with her wonderful writing, describing in such a beautiful way the human emotions and the tranquil beauty of the British landscape which is reflected in her stories that have beauty without the need for ...more
Sara
2.5 stars, rounded down.

I have always thought of Rosamunde Pilcher as one step up from chick-lit, but I must say September pretty much falls directly in that category for me. It has that warm, Pilcher feel and the complicated twists and turns, and glamorous characters and settings, but it lacks meaning and cohesiveness and in the end seems much ado about nothing.

I read it back in the early 90s when it was released, and I remembered absolutely nothing about it. That was strange in itself, because
Marialyce
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
What better saying to mention to an author than that of she has a way with words? Certainly this is ever so true with Ms Pilcher as she carefully and what seems effortlessly draws the reader into her characters and her setting. In this beautifully told tale, we meet wonderful characters, the Airds, the the Ishaks, The Lord and Lady Balmerino, and so many others. ...and then there is Scotland, presented to us in all its glory, a beautiful, gorgeous land so striking a picture with its traditions, ...more
Obsidian
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I don't know what to say about this. This was a very well done book. It was recommended to me by several people and I finally read it this past weekend. I have no critiques. I loved the characters, writing, setting, and the ending. The only thing I wish is that we had a chance to follow up with all of these characters in a later book. I wonder what happened to Henry, Alexa, Vi, all of the people we got to meet in this one.

"September" is all about the preparations that are leading to a dance,
Mo
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rosamunde Pilcher writes very “readable” stories. I enjoy all of her books, but some more than others. Please note that I have rated this book compared to the author’s other novels. It was good, but she has written better.

I had no idea that the Noel in this book was the same Noel from “The Shell Seekers”. To tell you the truth, I didn’t recognize him at all and was pretty surprised when it finally dawned on me of the way into the book. It presented a bit of a dilemma for me since I HATED Noel
Chris
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I gave this 5 stars not because it feeds my soul, but for the lovely journey & sated feeling I had by the end. I wanted to continue "visiting" with these people. I saw that this book was on a list of "most comforting books." I can wholeheartedly agree with that! It's like putting on warm socks & curling up in front of a fire with good friends and hot chocolate (or tea, if you like). Lush descriptions of rural Scotland and peopled with a variety of interesting characters. One moseys ...more
Amanda
Aug 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Amanda by: Holly
I had a really hard time getting through this book. I thought that there was too many characters that were hard to keep track of. I had a hard time keeping all of the relationships straight. It was very descriptive--to the point of being to descriptive. I started skipping over a lot of the description. I really enjoyed the last 100 pages, but for the 600 before that I thought numerous times about quitting.
Belinda
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: roman
4 stars - English novel - I have dyslexia -
In my notebook : beautiful scenes with beautiful painted characters.
Sally906
A huge saga that looks at the lives of two main families and their friends over a 4 month period. A large cast of characters that resulted in me having to write the names on a list.

A slow moving story - it never boring - covers a few different countries - a few dramas - and a huge secret revealed.

As per usual with a Pilcher novel every aspect of human lives - feuds, love, illness and friendship, was an easy read.
Vicky
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really hard to keep the names straight. There is Violet, Virginia, Verena, Vi and seems like there is one I’m forgetting. Really!
Claude
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a, cozy, uk
It took me some time to get into the book, which is quite long. Had to keep track of a lot of characters all in different places and make sense of their relationships. Once that was acquired, it became one of those great Rosamunde Pilcher novels. With, in fact, some characters that were also in The Shellseekers.
I wish I had more Pilcher to read, besides her short stories, which I will probably never read as I am not a short story lover.
A good read all in all.
Beth Bonini
I vividly remember the first time I read this book: I was just starting graduate school, and I had arrived in Houston, Texas, exhausted and strung out from a long summer of working nights and having too many romances. I had about a week before school started, and as I didn't know anyone, I spent most of the time comfort reading the type of novel I knew that I would not be assigned in my English literature course. I remember lying on my quilt, being semi-cooled by the blast of an old-fashioned ...more
magdalena dyjas
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Rosamunde Pilcher's my "guilty pleasure" writer. I would love to live the lives her characters are living, as unrealistic as they are... I tend to read her books when I'm feeling down, they are perfect for those blue moments, and for that they deserve *****, but it's not the best literature, so... ;)
Lori
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, scotland
Katherine Coble
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely, languid, comfortable book! I adore these books by Pilcher, where you sink into comfortable surroundings and spend time pottering about with people. Not very much too grand or dramatic happens for much of the story. You just read it as if you were vacationing in these people's steadfast, amiable lives.

When the end comes and you think back you realise that a lot did happen, that buried in the little things are great truths and changes... somewhat like life itself.

There are a few
Bookworman
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars for the book, No stars for the narrator and her very annoying voice!

What a shame. One of my all time favorite books ruined by an awful, awful narrator. She makes Vi's
and Henry's voices high and squeaky. It's very annoying and I only made it through the first few chapters. Ah well. I've returned it and will wait for a better version to come out. Until then, I'll just enjoy reading the book.
Lydia Bailey
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Reading a Rosamund Pilcher novel is akin to curling up in a blissfully saggy & huge arm chair beside a roaring fire. Comfort at its best. This is not my favourite of hers ( Coming Home is unbeatable with Shell Seekers of course in close second ) but still a good read. A story of love. Family and friends.Life and death. Lives intertwined & overlapping and, of course, dogs, land rovers, heather and huge country houses.
Theresa
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-scotland
“September” is a novel set in Scotland about several characters who are invited to a dance party for a young lady turning twenty-one. Katy Steynton, the honoree, plays a very minor role in the novel (in fact the reader hardly meets her until close to the end of the book). However there are several characters invited to the dance who come from a variety of backgrounds and life experiences, and who make choices that affect not only themselves but their loved ones.

Edmund and Virginia Aird must
Mamey
Rosamunde Pilcher is a delightful writer, a WONDERFUL story-teller and the queen of descriptive writing. The book is perfectly detailed just enough that it doesn't become daunting. This is a family saga that follows the lives of 2 families; the Aird's and the Balmerino's. So many beautifully developed characters that became a part of my life. Perfect read for Autumn!
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Oct 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Rosamunde Pilcher is one of those authors I return to, again and again. September is one of my favorites. Set in Scotland, it follows the lives of two families, the Airds and the Balmerinos. Pilcher's characters are likeable. For the most part, her women are strong: here it's Isobel and Violet. Pilcher characters grow with you, there is a depth to them that is often found lacking in popular novels.

As the summer wanes, the countryside prepares for a ball. The prodigal daughter returns home. A
Robyn
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought I knew what this book was about...nope! Once again, Rosamunde Pilcher completely wrapped me up in her beautifully written book. I cannot wait to get my hands on more!!!
Carrie
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have no idea when I read this, only that it was in the 2000's sometime in the mid/near end of it. I really enjoyed it at the time. I can't remember too much about it. It was a copy that was my mothers or grandfathers. I don't have a copy any more so chances of a re-read might not happen although there is always the library.

• The Copper Beech
  • Homecoming
  • Colony
  • Evening Class
  • Starting Over
  • The Long Way Home
  • Tara Road
  • The Glass Lake
  • Возвращение домой (The Big Book)
  • The Best of Friends
  • The White Puma
  • The Tea House on Mulberry Street
  • Quentins
  • Eden Burning
Rosamunde Scott was born on 22 September 1924 in Lelant, Cornwall, England, UK, daughter of Helen and Charles Scott, a British commander. Just before her birth her father was posted in Burma, her mother remained in England. She attended St. Clare's Polwithen and Howell's School Llandaff before going on to Miss Kerr-Sanders' Secretarial College. She began writing when she was seven, and published ...more
“Grief is a funny thing because you don't have to carry it with you for the rest of your life. After a bit you set it down by the roadside and walk on and leave it resting there.” 22 likes
“Death is nothing at all. It does not count. I have only slipped away into the next room. Nothing has happened. Everything remains exactly as it was. I am I, and you are you, and the old life that we lived so fondly together is untouched, unchanged. Whatever we were to each other, that we are still. Call me by the old familiar name. Speak of me in the easy way which you always used.” 14 likes