Start by marking “Go Home!: The True Story of James the Cat” as Want to Read:
Go Home!: The True Story of James the Cat

Go Home!: The True Story of James the Cat

James has been lost for a long time. He's grown old, and tired, and slow. One day he finds a house where a kind family lives, but they decide he must belong to someone because he wears a collar. So James is left to survive a dry summer, a bad storm, and an attack by a huge dog. When the woman from the kind family sees him again, she notices his injuries and realizes what s ...more
Published December 3rd 2005 by Albert Whitman & Company (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Go Home!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go Home!

Start your review of Go Home!: The True Story of James the Cat
Melissapalmer404
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Book #11 Read in 2016
Go Home: The True Story of James the Cat by Libby Phillips Meggs

James the Cat has been on his own for a long time. Will this old cat ever find a place to call home? Luckily, James, after a few mishaps, finds a nice family who will take care of him and make him part of this family. This book has beautiful illustrations. I borrowed this book from my local library.
Andrew
cute true story about a cat adopted after enduring some numerable hardships; good read aloud as a family, esp. if you have adopted pets; very sweet.

MO Show Me Winner

Good for beginner readers due to its colorful and minimalistic illustrations and simple vocabulary
Karen
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story was breaking my heart as I was reading it. In fact, I wasn't sure if I would get through it without breaking down. But, thank God, it ended on a much happier note than it began. And James looks remarkably like our Buster Cat, who was himself once a stray kitten.
Stephanie
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a beautifully illustrated story of a lost and abandoned cat that a loving family took in. We enjoyed this one very much.
talia
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute but goes downhill. Starts out emotional and gritty and ends in a really over the top sweet resolution.
Susan
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, storybook
Poor James. He did not have a good time during his lost time. This book was good at evoking the emotions related to the plot. I also appreciated the well-crafted and emotive illustrations.
Peacegal
Beautiful, realistic illustrations and a humane storyline define Go Home!. James, a scruffy, older stray cat, is constantly shooed away by people and told to "go home!", although he knows he has none. James experiences the common trials of a homeless pet before being discovered by a kind family who rescues him and provides him with vet care and a loving home indoors.

At one point, James is chased by a vicious dog, and the illustration of the snarling creature may frighten very young or sensitive
Andi
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is extremely charming and perfect for young readers.

The illustrations are gorgeous and contain so much character you can picture it exactly in your mind. This book is a must have for any library regardless of age.
Kathryn
Nov 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-my-boys
My boys loved this, in no small part due to the fact our new cat looks alot like the cat in the book.
Louise
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
No, no, I am not about to cry at work. ;__;
Amy
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cat-stories
Nice, true story good for cat/animal lovers and lovers of happy endings.
Margaret