Start by marking “The Woman's Book of Yoga and Health: A Lifelong Guide to Wellness” as Want to Read:
The Woman's Book of Yoga and Health: A Lifelong Guide to Wellness

The Woman's Book of Yoga and Health: A Lifelong Guide to Wellness

The Woman's Book of Yoga and Health is the first comprehensive book about women's health issues and how to treat them with yoga. The authors offer a complete yoga program for general health as well as pose sequences that address specific health problems—all in the Iyengar tradition, which targets health needs more than other forms of yoga. For example, in the first part ...more
Published December 3rd 2002 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about The Woman's Book of Yoga and Health, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman's Book of Yoga and Health

Start your review of The Woman's Book of Yoga and Health: A Lifelong Guide to Wellness
Georgiana
Jul 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: yoga
This book gets a lot of good reviews for being a thorough reference book, but for a relative beginner like me who actually has to deal with a number of the health issues addressed, it's FAR too advanced. Headstand in nearly every sequence?!? Even if it does say 'don't do this unless it's part of your regular practice', it still seemed a bit much. And what's up with 'don't do inversions if you're menstruating'?? Last I heard, that was the yoga equivalent of an old wives tale. And if I read one ...more
Kris
Feb 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self
I've been looking for a good yoga book with pose descriptions, variations, and sequences to help me grow in my practice and this book had plenty of that. Unfortunately, it also had plenty of the 'this pose cures depression' and 'An inversion a day keeps the doctor away!' Plus the women models wore funny leotards.
I liked the idea of different sequences for different times of your life (and the sequences were good ones!), but didn't appreciate the panaceaic claims of those sequences. Being strong
Julie
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Good descriptions of what the individual Yoga Asanas (poses) do for different organs of the body and what they do for the mind. A good reference guide. I did the sequence designed to get rid of a headache one night and it worked! Might consider buying this to have as a reference, but it is too wordy to read from cover to cover.
Court
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
There is a lot that made the book hard to get through for me, but also a lot that I thought was beneficial.

Overall, I like the book.

Cons-

there is an assumption the author tends to make throughout the book that women have it worse than men, girls have it worse than boys, etc. I think that is false. I don't think guys necessarily have it worse, but the stressors in life stages are different. It also seems to me that she tends to exaggerate how bad life is for us at different stages.

She does not
Katie
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great yoga book for women in every stage in life.
Lauren Fulner
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love the essential sequence in this book, and the array of yoga, herbalism, and general health info for women of all ages. Also, as a 20 something that intentionally is not having children, I greatly appreciate that there is only ONE CHAPTER on pregnancy and childbirth. Thank god someone finally figured out that the 'miracle of birth' is only relevant to some people.
Liz Filippone
Oct 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Another great yoga book, but focused totally on women. It's amazing how it goes through the various stages of a women's life--puberty, mentruation, pregnancy, post natal, menopause. It talks about each of the stages and the affects in has on a women's life, along with detailed yoga sequences. I took an intensive with the woman who created the sequences in this book (the woman on the cover).
Carol
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga
Fantastic resource book for women, regardless whether or not they practice yoga. Love the life cycle format the author used to cover health issues women experience from adolescence/puberty through menopause and the wisdom years. Learned a lot!
Jenifer Pruim
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
good chapters on and sequences for prenatal yoga and women's restorative.
Nicole
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
shows some poses but focus more on vinyasas for specific conditions. once someone is familiar with the moves and comfortable creating more tailored flows, this might have some good ideas.
Mckinley
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Seems a bit much to start.
Rebekah
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Love this book, awesome reference for great poses to relieve various female issues!
Brielle
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 14+ years
Clear text, clear pics, and it was nice that it shows different sequences for different purposes. Text explains not only how to do each pose, but what the pose does and what benefits it gives.
Carrie Ridgeway
Nov 07, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: yoga
Recommended for it's info on using props.
Traca
Apr 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great reference book for using yoga to help with many women's health issues. Easy to use, well organized, great pictures and descriptions of poses.
Hannah Cole
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga
A very comprehensive yoga book written by women for women of all ages.
Stephanie
Jen
Oct 14, 2008
Renee
Aug 18, 2016

• The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Eastern Body, Western Mind: Psychology and the Chakra System As a Path to the Self
  • Yogabody: Anatomy, Kinesiology, and Asana
  • Yoga for Your Type: An Ayurvedic Approach to Your Asana Practice
  • Power Souping: 3-Day Detox, 3-Week Weight-Loss Plan
  • Gratitude Daily
  • Chakra Balancing: A Guide to Healing and Awakening Your Energy Body [With Cards and Workbook and 2 CDs]
  • Anatomy of Yoga: An Instructor's Inside Guide to Improving Your Poses
  • So You Want to Start a Podcast: Finding Your Voice, Telling Your Story, and Building a Community That Will Listen
  • The Power of a Praying Life: Finding the Freedom, Wholeness, and True Success God Has for You
  • Shout
  • The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga
  • Yoga Adjustments: Philosophy, Principles, and Techniques
  • Complete Yoga Book
  • Taken by the Others (H&W Investigations, #2)
  • The Ultimate Guide to the Daniel Fast
  • When Calls the Heart (Canadian West, #1)
  • Deceived by the Others (H&W Investigations, #3)