Start by marking “Fear of Drowning (Hennessey & Yellich, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fear of Drowning (Hennessey & Yellich, #1)

Fear of Drowning (Hennessey & Yellich #1)

3.26  ·  Rating details ·  62 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
For years, a middle-aged, middle-of-the-road couple, Max and Amanda, had enjoyed each other's company in their modest home. With adult children, the two seemed to have everything they could want: health, some wealth and happiness. Until one day when they vanish, leaving behind no trace.

Called in for the case, Detective Inspector George Hennessey, whose own life bespeaks h
Published August 14th 2000 by Minotaur Books (first published October 4th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Fear of Drowning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fear of Drowning

Jill Hutchinson
This is a short little book featuring DS Hennesey and his partner Yellich. The double murder of an apparently wealthy couple points the team in directions that uncover financial misrepresentation and to another murder that occurred in the past. There are suspects galore, all with good motives...but as it turns out, the actual murderer's motive is less obvious. You will figure out who that murderer is pretty quickly but the story still holds interest. It also gives us a quick look into the privat ...more
Lynn
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first I've read of Turnbull, and it's a good start to the series. That said, I prefer a more literary style. This one's a bit more staccato than I normally read and with a bit less poetic language. It is, however, a good mystery, and I like the characterizations of Hennessey & Yellich.

I did figure out whodunnit by process of elimination, but I really wasn't sure. Nice work.
Eileen133
I watch a mystery series on PBS, and I noticed that it was based on a book by Peter Turnbull. I decided to read one. I enjoyed it. It is 2 English detectives who solve mysteries. Here is where you can watch pbs movies on line. Right now it isn't on there.They change all the time......You want the masterpiece theater tab.

Mom, I wonder if your comments didn't save because you forgot to clic the save on the bottom of this screen.
Nina
Sep 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Old-style police mystery which turned out to be entertaining despite the simplicity of the plot. Character development suggests two very decent police officers, which is a relief after reading a lot of novels where the hero has emotional and/or human relations issues.
Linda Underwood
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Peter Turnbull mystery I read. He is similar to E. George but shorter. Enjoyed the book.
Hapzydeco
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A police procedural that centers around an engaging plot.
Tamara
Dec 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Obvious motive and murderer
Katharine Ott
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-thriller
"Fear of Drowning" - written by Peter Turnbull and published in 2000 by Minotaur Books. A dull police procedural.
Johanna
Jun 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, england
This read like a law and order episode. It is a police procedural that is very plot driven and not very character driven. But I enjoyed it and will try another of his books.
Nikki Magennis
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
Couldn't get into it. The characters were just too bland.
Jessica
May 12, 2012
Rod Peeks
Feb 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Peter Turnbull is the author of nineteen previous novels and numerous works of short fiction. He worked for many years as a social worker in Glasgow before returning to his native Yorkshire.
More about Peter Turnbull...

Hennessey & Yellich (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Deathtrap (Hennessey & Yellich, #2)
  • Perils and Dangers (Hennessey & Yellich, #3)
  • The Return (Hennessey & Yellich, #4)
  • After the Flood (Hennessey & Yellich, #5)
  • Dark Secrets (Hennessey & Yellich, #6)
  • All Roads Leadeth (Hennessey & Yellich, #7)
  • Treasure Trove (Hennessey & Yellich, #8)
  • The Dance Master (Hennessey & Yellich, #9)
  • Hopes and Fears (Hennessey & Yellich, #10)
  • Chill Factor (Hennessey & Yellich, #11)