Start by marking “Carolina Moon” as Want to Read:
Carolina Moon

Carolina Moon

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts--an utterly spellbinding tale about a woman who, though battered in both body and spirit, can never lose Hope...Tory Bodeen grew up in South Carolina, in a small run-down house, where her father ruled with an iron fist and a leather belt--and where her dreams and talents had no room to flourish. But she had Hope, who l ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 470 pages
Published April 2001 by Jove (first published March 6th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Carolina Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carolina Moon

Kinga
Feb 10, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so bad and made me so angry that I wasn't going to write a review but my OCD is stronger than me, also, I need to vent somewhere.

First, let's make one thing clear. I don't hate cheesy popular literature. Oh no, no. I embrace trash. I suspend my disbelief when needed, I swallow cliches like they were milk and honey, I even put up with bad writing. All that, so I can be entertained.

When I have gone so far in sacrificing my delicate literary sensibilities and you, in turn, have failed
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
I read this for the Murder Most Foul square for Halloween Bingo

"So many," Tory whispered.
"All were sexual homicides. Raped and strangled. There was no semen. There was some physical violence, particularly in the facial area. That escalates with each victim."
"Because their faces aren't right. Their faces aren't hers. Hope's."

The main and underlining impetus for this story was the rape and murder of an eight year old girl who was the bestfriend of our heroine, Tory; pretty dark stuff. I couldn't
Mo
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 Stars.

I enjoyed it even though it sort of dragged a bit halfway through. I kinda find that with long books though ... my attention wavers a bit! I had an inkling of the "bad 'un" about halfway through. It was fairly obvious to me.

There was a Lifetime Movie made and the following are some pictures from it. Not really how I imagined the characters ...

I would have liked an Epilogue! You know me!

We are in the South. You gotta have some sweet Iced Tea.

SB*needs low angst books*
Tory Bodeen is a little girl who has visions. She is psychic and for her it not always a gift. She lives in Progress, South Caroline with a abusive "God fearing" father and a mother who cares more for her husband than her daughter. Her family lives on the land of the well off Lavelle family. She made friends with Hope Lavelle even though do to status and class they shouldn't be friends. Unfortunately, Hope is murdered and Tory sees it thru a vision but can't see who did it.

Tory tells Hope's fam
Obsidian
I dithered about the rating and thought about giving this book four stars. However, the romance between Tory and Cade didn't sit right with me (at least the initial stages of it--I can't take it in romance novels when the dude bullies the heroine into being with him) probably cause of the insta-lust on his side of things. The mystery aspect of the book was interesting, though how Roberts tried to work in Tory's ability to "see" things didn't really work for the most part of the book for me. Prob ...more
Jacob Proffitt
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steamy, romance
This is one of those I've come to think of as Roberts' "super" romances--they're longer, have a strong family presence (or community or both), and with at least two romances simmering to resolution. This one features the small town of Progress, North Carolina as its setting and is dominated by two families, one local royalty, the other... mixed (Tori's mother is white trash, but that's due to her own bad choices. Her uncle is the town banker and a minor "big man").

Generally speaking, if you conn
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
I've only recently "discovered" Nora Roberts - well, I've known about her for some time, but hadn't actually read any of her books until recently. I absolutely loved The Witness, her latest, so I went back to this earlier romantic suspense I had seen over time is quite popular.

Well, I just loved it. I really, really enjoyed it. It wasn't quite a five star book for me, but it was close.

I was entranced right from page 1, through to the end. I suppose I didn't give it a five star because I didn't
Junkie for the Written Word
12/11/12 I would just like to make a small note for authors writing about the south.

On Sweet Iced Tea. <-- This is the natural state of tea below Virginia. Nobody says, "Would you care for an iced tea?" Because it's just tea, it's understood to be sweet and iced. Nobody says, "Hey let's go out for an iced tea!" Because you have it right there in your house and if you don't, it's because you've run out and you will have more in 10 minutes. When you go to a restaurant, no one orders iced tea,
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
"Hope is the thing with feathers-
That perches in the soul-
And sings the tune without the words-
And never stops-at all."

~Emily Dickinson

Tory Bodeen has been keeping away from her past for as long as she has been able. Keeping away from her abusive father and neglectful mother. Keeping away from the fact that her best friend was murdered when they were both eight years old. But Tory is a lot stronger now. And she knows the South Carolina town she grew up in is the place she must make her new start
Elia
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Está bien. Juega al despiste durante todo el libro y se centra en eso, no tanto en el romance de ellos. Me quedo con Faith de todos los personajes.
Mercè
Mar 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
¡Qué libro más sarnoso!
Tiene tantos puntos negativos que no sé ni por donde empezar.
-Prosa: Terrible. Frases que suenan falsas y forzadas a puñados. Diálogos raros y, de nuevo, forzados. Cambios de narrador que no vienen a cuento, sin una transición bien marcada. Comparaciones y metáforas estúpidas.
-Machismo: Mucho. Perdí la cuenta de todos los comentarios y mensajes que hay a lo largo de la novela. Los cuales dejan muy mal parados a los dos géneros. Los hombres/las mujeres son x. Esto es muy
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Years ago, maybe in 2007 there was this local DVD shop that sells one of a kind movies released on DVDs and I found a few Nora Roberts made-for-tv films, I bought some and have been obsessed ever since. This was one of them, such a good movie.

Now it's 2016 and I bought a LOT of Nora Roberts books through the years but my latest purchases were all her novels that were made into movies. I'm starting with this one. I hope they make the Bridal Quartet next.

LadyCalico
Jun 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
I could not fully appreciate this book since I live in the area she is allegedly writing about and the glaring errors just rubbed my nerves raw. She knows nothing about the lowcountry lifestyle, geography, and culture (although she did shamelessly pull some real place names off a roadmap.) Since the locale was obviously non-essential to her story, she should have left the fair name of "Carolina" off this book. I might have enjoyed the story if it were Iowa Moon. Anyone from the Coastal Carolinas ...more
Kjen
5 Stars*****This is probably my favorite Nora stand-a-lone read. She totally had me at hot, organic cotton farmer;)
Serena Miles
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leido-en-2019
Es un libro que me ha gustado muchísimo y tambien sorprendido. Que nervios!! Que final!!!!
9/10
Salma
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: romantic suspense freaks
I always said I'd never pick up a romance novel- well, we all know how that cliche works, right? I'm always seeing the name Nora Roberts everywhere and wanted to see what the fuss is about. The fuss is well-deserved. And I'm finally in agreement with what Joyce Carol Oates once said- "There's no bad genre, only bad writing."

Being a romance, this book has your typical 'bodice-ripper' scenes, but the author's prose reads more like passionate poetry at these parts. Her writing moves as silkily as
Jane Stewart
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable story. Good characters.

There is mystery and suspense due to a serial killer. There is one rape-murder scene with not much detail. There is child abuse. Tory was repeatedly beaten by her father throughout her life until she left home at 18. There is romance for two different couples. I liked both romances. Although I wondered why Cade fell in love so immediately with Tory. But I could go with it. I liked the character development. I liked the paranormal. Tory has psychic ability. She co
Somia
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS

This remains an enjoyable read for me. There are some dark themes in the book such as violence and murder, and yet the book is gentle in tone and smoothly written.

The main character, Victoria (Tory) Bodeen, has come back to her South Carolina hometown after various tragedies, and in doing so comes face to face with her past and its legacy. The murder of her best friend Hope Lavelle, when Tory was a child led to her being forced out of her hometown, and now that she is back old wounds o
Jonetta
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tory Bodeen had a pretty miserable childhood, growing up with a religiously fantatic father who physically beat her and a mother who didn't protect her. Her father tried to drive away Tory's gift, which was a psychic sense about people and their circumstances. She had one childhood friend, Hope Lavelle, who helped her escape her unhappy home each day as they did what children do...use their imagination freely and have fun. Unfortunately, at the age of eight, Hope was brutally murdered and Tory e ...more
Carrie
Narrated by Dean Robertson.

I thought I'd read this book, and then realized I had only seen the made-for-TV movie a few years back. So when audible offered this on sale I snapped it up. This is probably one of my favorite Nora Roberts stories now. I thoroughly enjoyed the suspense plot and the romance. The secondary characters are all marvelous and so well developed. Roberts catches the feel and rhythm of the small South Carolina town and its inhabitants. I especially liked how she showed the cha
Jan
Believe it or not this is my first Nora Roberts book. I was drawn to the South Carolina setting, the mystery, and the sultry psychic. I was not disappointed. As a native of South Carolina the setting and the people rang very true.It made me homesick. I also thought the mystery was very good. There were several possible killers that I debated. The psychic visions were creepy and not too heavy-handed. And there were dogs. It was a perfect storm of a book for me. There is romance and sex. I am not ...more
Jelena
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Knjiga je interesantna i uzbudljiva, samo me malo razočarao kraj, prosto je previše zbrzan. Kao da joj je ponestalo vremena za pisanje, ili idej i odjednom CAP! Preokret, rasplet, kraaaj! To mi jedino smeta. Ostalo mi se baš sviđa, pogotovo ideja da glavna junakinja ima neku vrstu moći :)
sandra
Claro de Luna y yo no empezamos con buen pie y de hecho, el principio apenas lo recuerdo porque no me gustó (o por el tema este de las obras de mis vecinos, todavía no he esclarecido si no me gustó/no me enteraba de nada porque no me atrapaba o porque simplemente... no). Así que ese día apagué el ebook y lo dejé. Al día siguiente, sin golpes, lo volví a retomar y la verdad es que me empezó a gustar. Y me lo acabé esa misma mañana.

Tory al principio me parecía... no sé, no la veía como una protag
Teechbiz
Jan 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
This is my third Nora Roberts Book. When I was a teen I used to like to read romances. Back then they involved pirates and cowboys.

To borrow a phrase my principal loves to use, "It is what it is." Her books always involve a strong willed independent woman, an handsome and always rich or well off male lead who is also very attractive, a skilled lover, oh and looking to commit quickly to said female lead.

Guess everyone needs some escapist lit. I bought this book for 50 cents at a yard sale. It de
Ana
Nov 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hope é violentamente assassinada num pântano perto de casa aos 8 anos de idade.
Passado 18 anos, Tory a sua amiga inseparável, regressa à sua cidade natal para abrir uma loja de presentes e tentar reatar relações de amizade e familiares.
Tory tem de enfrentar os seus fantasmas e o um sentimento de culpa que advêm do facto de ter combinado com Hope irem nadar nessa noite e ter falhado o compromisso.
Paraphrodite
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2016
Nice twist at the end. The audio version suffered a bit from the narration though. It was sometimes very hard to differentiate between the characters during their conversations. After listening to Carnal Innocence narrated by Tom Stechschulte, I don't think Dean Robertson was as good in this one.
Rebecca
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rebecca by: Teresa
I needed a little Nora fix, and this one filled the need splendidly. It had everything I enjoy from this author; strong heroine, likable hero, and a predictable but interesting plot. Even though she was secondary, Faith's character development was my favorite aspect of the book.

If you're a NR fan, this is one I recommend.

Lex
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I have so many questions! Just ended without any closure. So annoying!
Minx -The Genre Minx Book Reviews
Wow, wow, wow! I really enjoyed reading this book! Carolina Moon was the perfect balance of suspense, romance, and paranormal elements! I was captivated and also quite disgusted by the events that occurred in this story and my interest never waned! What a good book!!
Cyndy Aleo
May 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller, romance
I just borrowed Nora Roberts' Carolina Moon from my mom over the weekend and returned it after two days with the advice to her to not even read it.

I should preface my review by stating that I am a big Nora Roberts fan. I like reading romance novels in between the "deeper" books as a break, and at the end of a day of taking care of a rambunctious toddler, sometimes the last thing I want to do is read a book that makes me think.

Roberts is often best at her trilogies, and judging by this book, she
  • Divided in Death (In Death, #18)
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Whispers at Midnight
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Smoke in Mirrors
  • Texas! Lucky (Texas! Tyler Family Saga, #1)
“Oh, go to hell." But there wasn't any heat in the response.
"You're not supposed to smile when you say that.”
33 likes
“She gazed toward the marsh that grew thicker, deeper, greener with approaching summer. Mosquitoes whined in there, breeding in the dark water. Alligators slid through it, silent death. It was a place where snakes could slither and bogs could suck the shoe right off your foot.
And it was a place, she thought, that went bright and beautiful with the twinkling of fireflies, where wildflowers thrived in the shade and the stingy light. Where an eagle could soar like a king.
There was no beauty without risk. No life without it.”
14 likes