Start by marking “Mona Lisa Overdrive (Sprawl, #3)” as Want to Read:
Mona Lisa Overdrive (Sprawl, #3)

Mona Lisa Overdrive (Sprawl #3)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  29,690 Ratings  ·  672 Reviews

The last of the Sprawl trilogy: the AIs of Neuromancer have suffered a traumatized, cataclysmic coming to self-awareness and now haunt cyberspace as voodoo powers.

Mona’s pimp sells her to a plastic surgeon in New York and she’s turned overnight into someone else. The pimp winds up dead. Mona weeps for him. She’s a sweet, dumb girl… so far.

Angie the famous Hollywood stim st

Published (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Mona Lisa Overdrive, please sign up.

Eliot I did and it made reading Neuromancer afterwards easier for me. But there are some things I understand better now that I've read Neuromancer.

It…more

It doesn't "spoil" anything to read this one first and I followed it fine.(less)

Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my FINISHING THE SERIES! list.

I loves me a good series! But I'm terrible for starting a new series before finishing my last - so this reading list is all about trying to close out those series I've got on the go...

A quick look back:
I said in my review of Count
Carmen
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi Fans
William Gibson's "conclusion" to the Sprawl trilogy. Conclusion is in quotes because it's a loose trilogy.

Gibson does what he does best in this novel: takes three different story arcs and weaves them together into a wonderful story that comes together neatly in the end.

Kumiko is a young teenager who is the daughter of a powerful yakuza. She's sent to England to hide from her father's enemies, with only a "ghost," given to her by her father, to keep her company. The "ghost" is really an AI unit t
Graeme Rodaughan
One of the later books of Gibson that I read. It left me with the fundamental idea of warring corporations and states on the wane that still lives with me now.
Darwin8u
Feb 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
“The world hadn’t ever had so many moving parts or so few labels.”
― William Gibson, Mona Lisa Overdrive

description

There is something about Gibson that keeps me coming back. Part of it is how, like PKD, he seems to always have a sense of what is around the next two corners. Not just the objects. No. The textures and smells and ambiguities too. It is like Gibson doesn't just have foresight, he has foresmell and foretaste. Anyway, even with that, this wasn't his best book and not in the strong half of the Sp
Rob
Executive Summary: I've owned this book for years, and for some reason never picked it up and read it. Thankfully I participated in a "Secret Santa" book thing of sorts, and someone out there finally got me to read it.

Full Review
I've always been more of a Snow Crash person than a Neuromancer person. I found it the easier read, and enjoyed the lighter nature/faster pace of the story. It took me quite a few years to circle back and read Count Zero and later Burning Chrome. I enjoyed them all, bu
Ian "Marvin" Graye
Ghost in the Machine

I'd had this unit on the shelf for a while. I'd used earlier versions to jack into the matrix twice, once only recently, and enjoyed the experience. It was time I did it again.

The first two times, the matrix seemed to be all order and accord. I suppose all the chaos was on the outside. Each time I jacked in, I escaped the chaos and found some serenity inside for a while.

This time, though, something had changed. The Shape had changed. Or something had changed it. Maybe, even,
Tfitoby
May 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A much more accessible version of Gibson's cyberpunk stylings, Mona Lisa Overdrive is a pretty straight forward espionage thriller in comparison to what came before, and as such I found it that much more enjoyable.

Instead of technical information and a sentient AI point of view or endless discussions about what makes us human, the effects of technology on society and freewill we're treated to the lives of four characters in sequential chapters whose lives are on a fateful collision course plotte
Ben Babcock
It’s common to accuse a writer of writing the same thing over again. In many cases this merely means the writer sticks to variations on a theme. Sometimes, though, it feels like each novel is another installment in an iterative process designed to get at a central idea. As I continue to read William Gibson’s novels, I continue to get a better idea of the novel he is trying to write. Mona Lisa Overdrive mixes the legacy of the previous two Sprawl books with a corporate espionage–fuelled plot wort ...more
Brooke
Jan 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, 2009
Mona Lisa Overdrive is the third book in Gibson's Sprawl trilogy, and it's the most fully-realized of the three. The plots of Neuromancer and Count Zero followed the same pattern, and Count Zero really only served as a bridge between the first and third books. Mona Lisa Overdrive flips back and forth between four subplots which weave together nicely, both with each other and with the previous two books. The characters start to matter a little more and feel more like real people than 2D plot-pupp ...more
Alexander McNabb
If Neuromancer was debut brilliance, Count Zero was a continuation that lacked the punch of the first in the Sprawl trilogy, yet still packed enough crowd pleasing swagger to make it a top class read (with, perhaps, the lack of purpose that greatness demands).

In hindsight, this is perhaps the way a great trilogy should go, because one's expectations are set perhaps a tad lower by the time you get to Mona Lisa Overdrive. So you're nicely set up for the rabbit punch when it comes.

Gibson has broug
Cast for a MLO movie 1 3 Nov 18, 2017 09:24AM
Favorite moments/passages 1 1 Nov 17, 2017 07:16PM
  • Islands in the Net
  • A Fire in the Sun
  • Voice of the Whirlwind (Hardwired, #2)
  • The Shockwave Rider
  • Broken Angels (Takeshi Kovacs, #2)
  • Software (Ware, #1)
  • Eclipse (A Song Called Youth, #1)

William Ford Gibson is an American-Canadian writer who has been called the father of the cyberpunk subgenre of science fiction, having coined the term cyberspace in 1982 and popularized it in his first novel, Neuromancer(1984), which has sold more than 6.5 million copies wor
More about William Gibson...

Sprawl (3 books)
  • Neuromancer (Sprawl, #1)
  • Count Zero (Sprawl, #2)
“Her fingers found a random second stud and she was catapulted through the static wall, into cluttered vastness, the notional void of cyberspace, the bright grid of the matrix ranged around her like an infinite cage.” 2 likes
“I am no spy.” “Then start being your own. If Tokyo’s the frying pan, you may just have landed in the fire.” 1 likes