Start by marking “Society and Technological Change” as Want to Read:
Society and Technological Change

Society and Technological Change

Technology is a basic feature of all human societies. Virtually every aspect of our lives is affected by technology, while at the same time the development and use of particular technologies are strongly affected by cultural, social, political, and economic arrangements. Society and Technological Change provides a comprehensive introduction to the interactions of society and tec ...more
Published June 7th 2005 by Worth Publishers (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Society and Technological Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Society and Technological Change

A. Volaticus
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one might open eyes.
What is technology? We seem to use the word now to mean, almost exclusively, consumer electronic devices of all sorts and how they are networked - or at the very least electronic enhancements to other systems. This can hardly be the case.

What is the difference between science and technology? How might we articulate that?
What is the relationship of technology to society? What is the difference between technology and society?

Why do any o
Karla
Jun 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
I'm looking forward to winter so I can burn this book without feeling too bad.
Luisa Fowler
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this for a college course and it amazes me how technology has evolved.
Richard
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
unjustified text made my eyes bleed
Jay Buckley
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Long words simple topics
Shanni
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was actually pleasantly surprised, as this was the guiding text for a course I took. While the text is dry, it covers a lot of interesting material and connects all of the concepts.
Katie Reece
Feb 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Assigned it to my technology and society course. Most students enjoyed the conversations created by Volti's ideas. Evaluations of this book from my class were positive. I do realize this is not a leisure read, I wouldn't have read it without my job.
Hammad Ali
Mar 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
Have this for a course I`m taking, responsible for many headaches. Might like it if you`re a techie and have a huge interest in society and technology but overall best to be avoided. ...more
Kirk
Oct 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
read for a class. not bad if you are not a techie i guess. otherwise most of the information was kinda common sense. cant say i learned a bunch of stuff from it...
dara
Oh, it has a 2.4 rating on GoodReads?!? I'm looking forward to this!!!!

Aaron
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Basic textbook intro to tech's effects on society.
Carol
Nov 30, 2008 rated it liked it
school requirement - an informative book.
Arash Kamangir
Feb 10, 2013
Cheryl
Dec 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Knowledge-Creating Company: How Japanese Companies Create the Dynamics of Innovation
  • The Power Makers: Steam, Electricity, and the Men Who Invented Modern America
  • Machines as the Measure of Men: Science, Technology and Ideologies of Western Dominance
  • The Rise of the Network Society: The Information Age: Economy, Society and Culture, Volume I
  • The Tools of Empire: Technology and European Imperialism in the Nineteenth Century
  • Space, Place, and Gender
  • The Industrial Revolutionaries: The Making of the Modern World 1776-1914
  • Jacquard's Web: How a Hand-Loom Led to the Birth of the Information Age
  • Bad Science: The Short Life and Weird Times of Cold Fusion
  • The Coming of Post-Industrial Society: A Venture in Social Forecasting
  • The Uses of Disorder: Personal Identity and City Life
  • Remaking the World: Adventures in Engineering
  • People, States, and Fear: An Agenda for International Security Studies in the Post-Cold War Era
  • The Culture of Time and Space, 1880-1918
  • Creating a New Civilization
  • Brotherhood of the Bomb: The Tangled Lives and Loyalties of Robert Oppenheimer, Ernest Lawrence, and Edward Teller
  • Design Basics
  • The Golem: What You Should Know about Science
Rudi Volti is Emeritus Professor Sociology at Pitzer College, where he taught courses on the sociology of work and occupations, economic sociology, technology and society, and complex organizations.