Start by marking “FF, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
FF, Volume 1

FF, Volume 1

(FF (2011) (Collected Editions) #1)

A bold new direction for Marvel's First Family featuring new members, old friends, older enemies and uneasy alliances that will send shockwaves through the Marvel Universe. With stunning artwork by Steve Epting, Paul Mounts and Barry Kitson, join writer Jonathan Hickman as the "World's Greatest Comic Magazine" forges ahead and faces the future!

Collecting: FF 1-5
Published September 7th 2011 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about FF, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about FF, Volume 1

Start your review of FF, Volume 1
Anne
Our FOURTH week of Shallow Buddy reads is a nod to Marvel's oldest family, The Fantastic Four!

description

Sadly, Johnny Storm is dead. So, FF now stands for Future Foundation.
Because Fantastic Three just doesn't have the same ring to it, you know?

description

Each member of the family is dealing with it in their own way.
But everyone has been hit hard by his death, including his best friend, Spidey.

description

Ironically, Johnny has left a last will and testament (of sorts) that names Peter as his successor, should anything happen
Dan Schwent
Sep 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, comics
In the wake of the Human Torch's death, the remainder of the Fantastic Four, plus Spider-Man and some others, form the Future Foundation. Their first goals: restore Doctor Doom's mind and defeat the Council of Reeds...

Here we are again, Jonathan Hickman throwing around some big ideas and whetting my appetite. As I said before, I love the idea of the Council of Reeds. In this volume, the FF join forces with The Wizard, The Mad Thinker, Diablo, and others to try to outwit the Reeds and their plan
Jan Philipzig
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Frustrated with the scientific community, Mister Fantastic gathers a few brilliant young minds to form the so-called Future Foundation (FF), a group that combines science with combat in an attempt to, you guessed it, create a better future for all of humanity. How exactly it plans to achieve that goal, I am not sure, as it appears to have its hands full with fighting evil alternate versions of Mr. Fantastic (or something)... which isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind when I think of ...more
James DeSantis
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last volume of Fantastic Four was amazing due to great family drama, action pieces, big storylines coming together. This is a little bit of a relaunch in a way but a continuation no doubt.

Reed as gotten together the greatest minds in the universe. It just so happens to be a lot of villains have the best minds in order to stop the threat coming. It was actually Val who began to set this plan in motion. Watching the Foundation work together to stop evil reed army is a great idea for a plot. N
Jesse A
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An excellent volume in this overall Hickman run.
Mike
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Somehow even though there's quite a number of big changes being played out in this book, it feels positively threadbare and languid compared to the previous Hickman volumes.

Hickman pulls a little dramatic bait-and-switch on us, and while I'm still a bit miffed he resorted to a cheap writers' trick, the underlying storyline (alterna-Reeds run amok) is generally interesting.

The story doesn't go as far as fast as previous Hickman FF's, so frankly I'm disappointed and hoping it's an aberration.

OK no
Donovan
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it

Johnny Storm is dead and the Fantastic Four are finished. But they've got optimism, new costumes, and a new partner, the Spectacular Spider-Man. And Doom has temporarily joined their ranks.

The fun factor winds down as the crazy dial is cranked up. With the team in mourning, this volume is more somber. But it's nothing shy of exciting with total war, conspiracy, and the FF's super villains joining in to stop their greatest foe.

Artemy
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel, comics
After the events of the last volume, Fantastic Four is no more, now they’re called Future Foundation. The bigger overarching story continues though, as the threat of evil Reeds from several parallel universes forces the regular 616-Reed to cooperate with some of his biggest arch-nemeses in order to defeat them. Hickman’s F4 run continues to be excellent, and the addition of Spider-Man to the new team roster is a great idea that works well. My only gripe is that Hickman is juggling a lot of plots ...more
Zack! Empire
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I’ve read most of the Kirby/Lee run of the Fantastic Four, and I recall two issues of it from the mid 90’s. (One where Reed fights his evil doppelganger, and the other one had Reed stuck in prehistoric times and Namor might have been in there too.) Well it would seem that between those issues and this one I missed quite a lot. Though I can’t say I’m really surprised at this. Comics tend to move along very fast and what might be the status quo today might not even be something that holds any wat ...more
Sam Quixote
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I’m not the biggest Fantastic Four fan, in fact I’ve never read a book of theirs but they have been in numerous Marvel “event” books I’ve read and I used to watch the 90s cartoon and of course the lacklustre movies, so I feel I have a fairly good idea of who they are. But this book shows the Fantastic Four are no more – Johnny Storm/Human Torch is dead! And there are all manner of oddballs that fill the Baxter building: a robotic dragon with the personality of Frasier, some bug-eye alien kids, R ...more
William Thomas
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hot damn, Hickman hit it outta the park with this one. Everything here is just pitch perfect. All of the confusion and chaos he was bringing to the Fantastic Four book was making my head spin. It was just much too muhch. In this, he slows the pace and makes the story linear for once. So thanks for that, Jonathan.

FF is a fantastic idea. Its the brightest spot in the darkest of seas right now. With so much garbage floating around the Marvel Universe (I'm looking at you, X-books), FF is an excitin
Aaron
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It is really just so cool to see all of Hickman's setup paying off. I mentioned this in my review of Fantastic Four Vol. 4, but it's still just so satisfying, particularly coupled with the fact that Hickman continues to lay groundwork for future storylines as he pays off his older ones. If this is the kind of stuff we can expect from him, I really can't wait for Secret Wars.

In this volume, pretty much every one-off story Hickman told in the first 4 volumes of his Fantastic Four run is coming to
Dan
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
A decent read that ties in with the Everything Dies Avengers story.
Alan
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really like what writer Jonathan Hickman has done here. He has gone back to creators Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's roots on the title. FF at its inception has some of the Kirby/Wally Wood Challengers of the Unknown about it. Four adventurers exploring the world, fringes of science, and saving the world now and again. Chris Claremont and Karl Kessel also did this (see Kessel's Section Zero online for his independent take on such a story).

With Johnny Storm's apparent death Peter Parker is invited to
Christopher Mclean
Sep 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
I had hoped that being issue 1 this would be a good jumping on point for a series I really know very little about. Unfortunately this was not the case at all.
I'm sure fans or those with some pervious knowledge of the fantastic four will get something out of this but for a newbie like myself it was very much jumping in the deep end.
RG
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
It has its moments both good and bad but I feel like It has potential. The story at times can be confusing ( most hickman storys are) but I can sense a good direction for FF.
Bill
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
The classic comic book question is, "why doesn't Reed Richards use his intellect to change the world?" FF, short for Future Foundation, approaches that question in the wake of the death of Johnny Storm, the Human Torch. Reed and Sue gather some of the brightest young geniuses of the world to improve the world, and it's an interesting premise -- but sadly, they first have to deal with Reed's alternate universe selves, off building nefarious machines. The logic of some of the choices in this volum ...more
Muteeb
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Who would demand such a thing?
Who would ruin love?
That undefined, perfect and fragile thing.
The only mystery left in the universe.
Who would dare?"
"A King would dare."
Emmett Spain
Nov 11, 2011 rated it liked it
A jumping off point for new readers, one gets the impression that this story comes in the middle of a much bigger saga. There's a very brief introduction that throws out random details like "Oh, Susan is leading Old Atlantis, and there are a bunch of aliens and some clones and a demon robot thing". A lot isn't really adequate explained, so this is really tough to grasp for those new to the FF hijinks (FF stands for Future Foundation by the way--what the Fantastic Four are calling themselves afte ...more
Gavin
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
OK, this new 'FF' Future Foundation/Fantastic Four is a solid book.
Though they haven't quite figured out what to do with Spider-Man in the team...
This carries on ideas from the last while of Fantastic Four, with the Family helping none other than Dr. Doom recover his memories and abilities!
It also involves a council of high intellect antagonists (Doom, Mad Thinker, High Evolutionary, Diablo, etc.) welcomed in by Valeria, and a rather not-so-eager Reed.
When you find out why the council was create
***Dave Hill
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: illustrated
The first TPB of the title, with issues 1-5. This takes place some ways into Hickman's run on the Fantastic Four, and issues in the new "FF" title after the death of the Human Torch and Reed's reformation of the group into the Future Foundation.

And there's some great stuff here, thrown at us by Hickman almost too fast to handle -- Spider-Man joining the team (in the ugliest Spidey costume ever), Doctor Doom lurking around, the kids (Reed/Sue's plus other refugees they've gathered), and Reed begi
Shannon Appelcline
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-marvel, comics
It's great to see Spider-Man as a member of the FF (though the take in the Spider-Man comics is actually better). Hickman's look at the FF’s villains is really the best thing about this volume. However, things have also slowed down a bit with this volume, as we get a lot of response to the cataclysmic previous volume and setup for what's to come.
Jamie
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphicnovels
Hickman is destroying. I love that his take on the Fantastic Four is smart and bold, and yet also full of goofy comic book sci-fi.
Chantaal
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just have my comic babies already, Jonathan Hickman.
Robert
Sep 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Yep, this one isn't for me. I don't know who anyone is and this is apparently not a good starting point for this story.

Note for Hickman: brains aren't computers. The structure is the information. Spider-Man isn't clever for suggesting restoring (view spoiler) brain/mind from a back-up.

Also, (view spoiler)
James Lawner
Great start to the series, but this carries over from the previous Fantastic Four series which I haven’t read and this does make references to what happened in that series recently, so expect some spoilers. Also, some characters were a bit obscure to me and I didn’t exactly know the context for them and what was going on, but this story has one of my favorite things of all: ALTERNATE UNIVERSE VERSIONS OF A CHARACTER! Personally, I would like to have know more about the different Reed Richardses. ...more
Timo
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
So Human Torch died and Spider-Man took his place and the main publication of Fantastic Four died and FF took its place starting numbering from one. Both of those could be said "again" and everybody knew things would return to normal after awhile.
But still, a decent story of grief and learning new + those familiar threats that were in the "last" issue of Fantastic Four. Good art, way too much talking and nice sillyness.
Not too bad, not too good.
Christian Zamora-Dahmen
This 5-issue run throws into the game some fun ideas, but the arc gets hardly closed. Plus you the idea that there's so much back story that, if you're not an FF expert, you may be missing a lot.
It does include the magnificent art of Barry Kitson. That alone was a bright spot for me.
I particularly liked the black and white costumes.
Dave
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I've always enjoyed Spider-Man's teamups with the FF. Needless to say, I was disappointed when Spidey turned out to be a complete after thought in this book. Maybe he takes a more prominent role in later volumes, but in this one he was just a passenger.
Norm
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
In all honesty, this was a bit meh. I thought it might be good with the addition of Spidey in it but I am not actually sure what he did in the story.
I kind of drifted in and out a bit. It did not really capture me as an exciting story at all.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Immortal Hulk, Volume 2: The Green Door
  • Marvel 1602 #1
  • War of the Realms
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 3: Hulk In Hell
It’s no small thing to die and be born again.

After a certain amount of time you get tired of wasting talent. Of being part of a fraudulent profession — or actually being a fraud. And, most importantly, not living the life you are capable of having.

I remember the first night I went out with my wife. It was raining, she was beautiful… it was a normal, ordinary, intentionally uneventful, date. But at

FF (2011) (Collected Editions) (4 books)
  • FF, Volume 2