Start by marking “Bewitching (Kendra Chronicles #2)” as Want to Read:
Bewitching (Kendra Chronicles #2)

Bewitching

(Kendra Chronicles #2)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  9,905 ratings  ·  1,198 reviews
Kendra Hilferty, the witch who curses Kyle Kingsbury in Beastly, tells about her immortal existence-how she discovered she was a witch and the various ways she has used her powers to help people throughout the centuries. (Unfortunately her attempts have often backfired.) As it turns out, Kendra has actually had a hand in "Hansel and Gretel," "The Princess and the Pea," and ...more
Published February 14th 2012 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Bewitching, please sign up.
Chelsea Bee
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
JocelynD. Nope, It has Kendra, who is in Beastly, and a few small references to it, but it's not a continuation on Beastly or anything of the sort.

·  9,905 ratings  ·  1,198 reviews

Start your review of Bewitching (Kendra Chronicles #2)
Cara
Jul 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, fairy-tales
I think I may have become a permanent fan of Alex Flinn. She seems to be concentrating her writing on fairy tale retellings, well me likey that.

For fans of Beastly thinking this is a book about Kendra the witch I'm here to tell that is only partly true. We get to know her better and see how she has gotten to where she is today, but unfortunately she is not the main focus of the story.

This time around Kendra is trying to help out a girl named Emma. She has a stepdad that she considers her real
Jonababez
WOW! I absolutely love this book! It totally deserves to go in my favorite shelf! This is the best book of Alex Flinn so far, but I also love her Beastly and A kiss in time.
I was really excited about it once I've learned from Flinn's website that she will do a series about Kendra. And I saw this book already out on our local bookstores last week even though the expected publication date is on Feb 14. That's why I'm a bit shocked when I saw it on our stores and I bought a copy immediately. I
Irene△⃒⃘➰
2.5/5

The problem I had with this book was that the main story is cut more than once because there are some random retellings throughout it.
The main story is a Cinderella retelling and I loved the beginning. The whole part where there’s this evil sister (Lisette) now orphan that stays at Emma’s and they are forced to interact because now they are sisters, I enjoyed those pages a lot and I thought that after the “prologue” of Kendra’s origins it was time then to dig into her present story.
Wrong.

Anne
When I picked this up, I was hoping it wouldn't suck.
That's all.
Just...Please Don't Suck.
I have a love/hate relationship with fairytales and retellings. Most of the time the books aren't that good, but I can't seem to stop myself from snatching up the next one I see in the high hopes that this one will be better.
And Alex Flinn? Well, I like the fact you she updates the stories, but I haven't always liked everything she's written.
Beastly?
A Kiss in Time?
Nooooo.

Well, I'm happy to report that
Jessica *The Lovely Books*
Colleen Houck
I loved the flashbacks to the Titanic and Little Mermaid and to King Louis. They were super fun. My favorite, though, was the beginning with the witch's gingerbread house. So fun!
Ravenous Biblioworm
Rating: 2/5

I picked up this book because I had read Beastly and thought it (Beastly) was an enjoyable book. It features the witch who had turned the boy into a beast in Beastly. Kinda… Here we get to understand, Kendra, the witch. We get to see her life and how she became a witch… kinda. While the story was engaging in some parts, most times it fell short of being interesting. After a whole novel, the expectations of this novel were never reached and it left me feeling a bit confused of the
Mitch
Apr 13, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-just-no
There’s a story here, I guess, but this entire book was more of a gimmick to capitalize on the Beastly movie (unfortunately, which I saw, wasn’t my choice, can’t be more of a captive audience than a passenger on a ten hour international flight) than a real novel. That’s the only way of explaining the weird structure of this book, a main story from Emma’s point of view interrupted by snide side stories about Kendra’s past whenever she feels like interrupting.

Actually, the structure’s kind of
Kristi
Oct 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, witches, harperteen
THE FAERYS VIEW

Bewitching by Alex Flinn was FAN-FAERY-TASTIC! Ms. Flinn out did herself in this spectacular tale of my favorite witch. Ms. Flinn has written many successful remakes of classic faery tales-each and every one of them a joy to read.

Bewitching is Kendra Hilferty’s tale. You may remember Kendra best as the witch in Beastly when she cast the spell upon a boy making him as ugly on the outside as he was on the inside. Kendra is centuries old and has lived an amazing life, most of it
Hadil Zawahreh
it was Awesome :"") but as usual a happy ending :/
_____________________________
Photos Taken By me :')

Giselle
A finished unsolicited copy was provided by the publisher for review.

In the beginning Kendra is a mere mortal trying to save her only living family member from the plague. Her parents, her sister are all dead. With help from a rumor that a witch can save her brother she goes to seem her out only to find out she’s gone. In an effort to save her brother Charlie she grabs some herbs from the witch’s garden and makes some medicine for him. Like a miracle he survives and they entire out of their
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Ms. Flinn, I love you! This book is amazing! I couldn't believe how amazing and simple it was to fall in love with this book. Ms. Flinn took another fairy tale making it so enjoyable that I just want to re-read the book over and over again.

So why did I love this book so much? Well first off, it is not your average Cinderella story. That's right. It's a Cinderella re-tale that is so awesome! The story starts off with Kendra's back round. I adored learning the history of Kendra. She is not the
Dana
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got the book Bewitching free to review through Goodreads. It is a fantastic book! I totally loved it! It is well written and filled with humor, fantasy and a bit of romance. Kendra Hilferty, a witch, tells how she found out she was a witch and how, kind of like Forrest Gump, she has been around for most of the major events in history. Remember the witch who made the gingerbread house? Kendra knew her. While telling how she helped Ella, a modern day non-wicked stepsister to deal with her ...more
VK
Nov 08, 2011 marked it as to-read
Just won this book! Excited to get it and read it! :)
Brad Sells
Dec 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-own
I read Beastly and Cloaked by Alex Flinn back in 2011 (I still need to read A Kiss in Time!), and loved them both. I thought that Alex Flinn told the fairy-tales in such a great and modern way, and when I found out that this novel was coming out, I nearly had a panic attack because Kendra was my favorite character from Beastly! Going more depth into her story was so much fun, and this book was simply wonderful.

This novel was absolutely stunning. Alex Flinn has weaved a modern fairy-tale that
Mary
MY THOUGHTS
LOVED IT

If you read Beastly, you will remember Kendra was the witch that had a very important supporting role. Kendra is an immortal witch and her story starts out with a retelling of Hansel and Gretel (my first two dachshunds!) where Kendra and her brother are the only survivors in her family after the plague wipes out most of her town. The story weaves back and forth between a Cinderella in current times with bits and pieces of her earlier existence during the early 1700 and the
Cinthia
Soumi
Bewitching is a black and white tale of a good witch who isn’t exactly good in being a witch and sometimes her magic go away from the expected course although her purpose were always good. Yes, I’m talking about Kenda, the witch who put curse on Kyle Kingsley and turned him into a beast to teach him some lessons of love and life. Beastly wasn’t her only curse, that was one of her many curses.
The book was broke into several stories told from many point of views. Each of them was a brief literary
Jonnah D.
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Bewitching is your typical Alex Flinn book (well... I've only ever read Beastly so that might not be an accurate assumption). It gathers a lot of inspiration from children's fairy tales with a modern, tween twist.

I'm going to be honest. I was really looking forward to this because I really liked Kendra Hilferty's character in Beastly and I wanted to read more about her life and her personality. I was somewhat appeased but honestly, I was not satisfied. The lack of Kendra disappointed me since
Amanda
I really liked Kendra in this book, i didn't like the language in the beginning of the book, but thankfully the writing changes into the language we know. So Kendra is a witch, and she likes to use her powers to help people in need. She tries to help a spoiled prince find his princess, she had a hard time due to his snobbish and ignorant mother quizzing all the princesses. You learn at the end that this is a retelling of the story of the princess and the pea. This was one of Kendra's fails, due ...more
Loretta
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alex Flinn how I love your writing. This book was amazing. I have read only Beastly (& Lindy's Diary), but that was when I fell in love with her stories!
Bewitching is so magically beautiful. I love re-tellings of classic fairy-tales. This being a re-telling a Cinderella, with of course a twist.
You get to know more history about Kendra. The witch you first met in Beastly. While reading Bewitching I really grew to like Kendra. She is very misunderstood. She is not mean, on purpose of course.
Teril
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
From Beastly to her own series, Kendra is a witch on her own mission in life. Bewitching is just that, a beginning to know that fabulous person a lot more. I have to say that I loved her snark and her wins and looses in the witchery business and throughout every page there are fabulous times in store for readers. From the characters POV in the stories Kendra recants we get a feeling for their lives and their times, but what I love the most was the retelling and manipulating of classic fairy tale ...more
Coranne
Nov 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read any books by this author before- what was I thinking? This was full of fairy tales and was such a satisfying fun book! Bewitching starts with Kendra's childhood and how she became a witch. It also talks about her involvement in the "Hansel and Gretel" story. It was so fun to see those stories tied into a piece of historical fiction.

The main story surrounds two sisters who resemble a "Cinderella" story. As that story progresses, Kendra breaks in with her thoughts about what is
Amy Jacobs
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you remember Beastly that was written by this author, then you also remember the witch that was involved in that book named Kendra. In Bewitching, we get to read about how Kendra became a witch and her life before Beastly.

What I loved about this book was the new twist on the fairy-tales that author Alex Flinn does so well. With the new take on some well known stories, the author takes you on an adventure of survival, love, magic and so much more. I absolutely loved Kendra in this book. I
Nessie Q.
Alex Flinn certainly did a good job of retelling some of the classic fairy tales we grew up with. I don't know how she does it, but I appreciate the amount of effort she placed in this book especially how she tried to incorporate bits and pieces of history to make the book seem more realistic.

Honestly, I was pleased with the ending. I like how in the end, there wasn't a need for Kendra to lift a finger just to help Emma.

One thing that left me feeling unsatisfied about this book, however, is
Books
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ellen-s-reviews
Bewitching is a relaxing read that takes one away from everyday life and even has a bit of wisdom in its pages. Kendra, who realizes she is a witch, has to endure quite a bit of hardship in the wake of that discovery. She sets out on a very long life journey in which she attempts to do good and help others. Only, it doesn't always quite work out.

I was rather excited when this story began with the plague of the sixteen hundreds in England. When it came round to gingerbread houses though, I was a
luhvBOOKS
Aug 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Title: Bewitching: The Kendra Chronicles

Author: Alex Flinn

Series: Beastly #3

Rating:

Summary: Bewitching can be a beast. . . . Once, I put a curse on a beastly and arrogant high school boy. That one turned out all right. Others didn't. I go to a new school now--one where no one knows that I should have graduated long ago. I'm not still here because I'm stupid; I just don't age. You see, I'm immortal. And I pretty much know everything after hundreds of years--except for when to take my powers and
Elizabeth Drake
This and other reviews can be found on Reading Between Classes

Cover Impressions: The cover is pretty, and I like the dark tone and colors but it doesn't really stand out from all the other "pretty girl in a pretty dress" in YA. If it wasn't for my slight obsession with witches and fairy tale re-tellings, I probably never would have picked up this book.

The Gist: Bewitching spins together a number of fairy tales as it follows Kendra, a witch who tries to help people but, inevitably, makes things
Paradoxical
The first thing you should know about Bewitching is that the summary is misleading. Yes, there is a witch named Kendra, but the majority of the book does not revolve around her, but the girl she is 'helping' by the name of Emma. This is a bit jarring if you're unprepared for the POV change, like I was, since Kendra was in the prologue and I was settling in to read a story about her, not about some other girl.

Kendra is an important figure, but she actually doesn't do all that much. The prologue
kari
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, ya
So what if Cinderella wasn't nice and deserved what she got? What if it was actually the stepsister who had been ill-used by Cinderella? Changes the point of view, huh?
I love that this takes that fairy tale and sort of turns it on its head. Does anyone remember Fractured Fairy Tales, these little cartoons on the Rocky and Bullwinkle show? This reminds me in some ways of that, although those were more tongue in cheek than this is.
Anyway, this isn't so much the story of Kendra as it is the story

• My Unfair Godmother (My Fair Godmother, #2)
  • Toads and Diamonds
  • The Swan Maiden
  • Fairy Dust and the Quest for the Egg (Disney Fairies #1)
  • Spirited
  • Sweetly (Fairytale Retellings, #2)
  • Sunlight and Shadow: A Retelling of The Magic Flute
  • The Wild Orchid: A Retelling of The Ballad of Mulan
  • Bad Taste in Boys (Kate Grable, #1)
  • Once Upon a Curse
  • Water Song: A Retelling of The Frog Prince
  • Violet Eyes:  A Retelling of The Princess and the Pea
  • Dragon's Breath
  • Spinners
  • Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions
  • Circle of Fire (Prophecy of the Sisters, #3)
  • Mira, Mirror
  • Bella at Midnight
I was born on Long Island and grew up on a street called Salem Court. This probably influenced my interest in witches. When I was five, my mom said I should be an author. And when I was eight, I got my first rejection letter from Highlights Magazine.

I learned to read early. But I compensated for this early proficiency by absolutely refusing to read the programmed readers required by the school

Kendra Chronicles (4 books)
  • Beastly (Beastly, #1; Kendra Chronicles, #1)
  • Mirrored (Kendra Chronicles, #3)
  • Beheld (Kendra Chronicles, #4)
“A memory came to me. One time, in middle school, a famous author came to talk to our class and give a writing workshop. One of the things she told us about writing a novel was that the story should be about what the main character wants. Dorothy wants to go home to Kansas. George Milton wants a farm of his own. Amelia Sedley wants to marry her darling George and live happily ever after. The end of the story, according to the famous author, is when the character either gests what he wants or realizes he’s never going to get it. Or sometimes, she said, like Scarlett O’Hara in Gone With the Wind, realizes she doesn’t actually want what she thought she wanted all along.

pg. 324 of Bewitching”
30 likes
“I wanted to preserve this moment, this slice of time when the night was cool and bright with reflected moonlight and the possibility of a kiss hung between us, full of unspent promise. Every event in my life after this would be different because I would have been kissed.” 22 likes