Start by marking “Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth, #4)” as Want to Read:
Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth, #4)

Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth #4)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  64,107 Ratings  ·  847 Reviews
On the red moon will come the firestorm...

Wielding the Sword of Truth, Richard Rahl has battled death itself and come to the defense of the D'Haran people. But now the power-mad Emperor Jagang confronts Richard with a swift and inexorable foe: a mystical plague cutting a deadly swath across the land and slaying thousands of innocent victims.

To quench the inferno, he must s
Published September 15th 1997 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Temple of the Winds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Temple of the Winds

Lauren
Aug 30, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A while ago, I was surfing for books on my Kindle, and decided I wanted a Fantasy novel. Remembering a series that my friends were going batshit for when I was living in Florida, I downloaded Wizard’s First Rule by Terry Goodkind. Now, since I have what I could consider mild OCD when it comes to finishing series, I have plowed through the books and am on the… 4th? book, Temple of the Winds. That leaves me with 7 to go in the series.

I’m in it for the long haul people. So here are my thoughts.

Whi
Amber
Jan 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terry Goodkind is a superb author, and in my opinion, his "Sword of Truth" series is the best I have ever read. So good, in fact, that I have read the entire series three times in a row, back to back, non-stop. This series is *not* for children. The series covers many aspects of the dark side of humanity, in great detail, as the heroes try to overcome the evils in the world. Goodkind is not afraid to show his readers just what evil *really* is, that is, most often, people who perform acts of evi ...more
Ashley
Definitely the worst of these books yet. I almost one-starred it, but the main thing that was making me angry was semi-addressed by the end, so I don’t think this series has quite reached the point of untenable badness just yet. (And I want to save the one star, because I’m pretty sure there is much worse to come.)

So, seriously, this book was very, very bad.

It’s pretty rare that I say a book is “bad.” Most books have redeeming qualities, or maybe just aren’t my thing. Actually, there are a lot o
Eric Allen
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
An Opinionated Look At:

Terry Goodkind's Temple of the Winds

By Eric Allen

Thinking back on the series, I never really remember much about this book. It wasn't one of the ones that I read multiple times because of how good it was. When I was choosing a book from this series to read, I'd always pick others. I remember liking it back in the day, but at the same time, I don't remember liking it as much as the first three books, or some of those that came later in the series, like Faith of the Fallen,
J.G. Keely
Jun 30, 2009 rated it did not like it
It is always curious to see fantasy authors who don't consider themselves to be fantasy authors. Case-in-point: Terry Goodkind. The former landscape painter has told us how he isn't a fantasy author in every interview he's ever given:

"The books I write are first of all novels, not fantasy, and that is deliberate; I'm really writing books about human beings."(1)

"To define me as a fantasy writer is to misunderstand the context of my books by misidentifying their fundamentals."(2)

"The stories I'm t
Feb 24, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pure-fantasy
This is the one that made me stop reading the series. In fact, I set the book down without even finishing it. Goodkind just keeps rehashing the same old stuff over and over and it's not fresh any more. He's also downright fixated on sex and I just felt too disgusted to continue. I don't have a problem with reading about sex (I read the Kushiel series by Jacqueline Carey, for crying out loud!) - it's not the sex, it's the intent that creeped me out. I haven't picked up another Goodkind book since ...more
Substance
Mar 11, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didnt-finish-it
currently reading this, and compared to book 3, this one is rubbish.

i do not like kahlan how she keeps crying
richards character is quite boring and two faced, he is trying to be mr perfect...his acceptance as the ruler was just to sudden, i felt there was no good flow between woods guide and ruler.

the story line is concentrated in that damn confessors castle
there is to much about fighting some plague and not enough action trying to find a solution.
very slow story line, and every time the romance
Stephen
2.5 stars. Big drop off from the first three books but still a decent, if underwhelming, novel. The scope of the threat posed by the Imperial Order continues to increase.
Steve
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was both a struggle and hard to put down. I found it hard to get into for the first few pages after picking it up back up, but then some tendril of the story would grab me, and I would keep reading. The action seemed to stop and start during the book, and it was quite difficult to figure out where certain characters loyalties lie. The climax was protracted and rather delicious, and while the resolution was a little shorter than I would have liked, it will do.
Jenna
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first time I read this book was in 2011 after I had plowed through the first three books in the series and I LOVED IT. The plot was so riveting, and obviously I adore the characters, I just could not get over how amazing it was.

This time, I reread it after having stopped reading the next book because of reasons. I wanted to reread this so I could just jump into book 5 with the love I remembered from book 4. Naturally I was nervous that I wouldn't enjoy it as much or I wouldn't devour it like
Ben Babcock
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ben by: Stephanie Chow
The only part of this book that truly aggravated me was the end. Once again (and I can say this without spoiling it, because I won't reveal any details), Richard manages to avoid the consequences of the tragedy introduced during the rising action. Maybe I'm just sick. Maybe it's wrong of me to want characters to suffer. But this guy's luck is incredible.

The redeeming aspect of the end is that there are sort of consequences (the chimes), but they won't make an appearance until the next book. I gu
Jostalady
Nov 07, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, dystopia
Um, Terry, I think it is time we went our separate ways. You have your good qualities as a writer, but I spent this entire book cringing, keeping down my food, wanting to fight and murder your vile characters, even wanting to kill you for putting me through this. I suffered the horrible psychological pain as Kahlen, Richard, Warren, those children, their mothers, as Berdine, as Cara...you are one sick man.

I went through all the torment of the dis-chord, and kept going hoping that at any moment y
Nick
Jul 04, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was the nail in the coffin for my interest in reading this series. While the first offering was an alright read, the events that occured in the following books got more ludicrous. Add in a cheesy romance story that's so over-the-top and this rubbish became almost unbearable to finish. I don't know how so many people can recommend this series. I feel that it is utter garbage. If I could give less than one star (read: zero) I would.
Benjamin
Jun 04, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Once again, a story line that would be inconsequentual if the main characters would only talk to one another instead of rushing of headlong into danger (to cause more problems). I stopped reading the series after this book.
Ricardo Portillo
Sep 11, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My OCD is forcing me to wade through this series. I've resorted to Audiobooks now, the equivalent of putting a Dunce cap on this pile of crap. It's not that Goodkind is a terrible writer, I venture to say he is competent enough and even has his moments now and then. But the distastefulness of the author himself permeates his writing and it's making this a huge ordeal for me. If I hadn't read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series I would have perhaps not even noticed that he was unequivocally plag ...more
Justin
Jul 01, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I give up this series is terrible. I don't know why i was punishing myself getting this far into the series, I guess it was because I was too lazy to try to find another fantasy series to read (which I have been in the mood for)
I only got about 40 pages into this one, and found myself skipping over half the words. His writing style seemed to have degraded to the level of a fifth grade essay; first this happened, then that happened because this other thing happened...Jesus, it was like having
Blake
Jan 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, folks, this book is very hard to read. But there is redemption...

Any part with Zedd is pretty good. But he's a pretty decent character, so that is to be expected.

Kahlan cries some more. No surprise here.

Lots of people start dying. And there is a bit of sex. Oh la la.

Trudge through it. The other books are better.
Danny
Jul 13, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book is so bad I couldn't finish reading it. The only reason I made it all the way through on my second attempt is because a friend told me the series gets better, and that the middle few books are rough. Goodkind needed to get laid because he takes out his sexual frustration with his characters.
Eric
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
The characters in this installment get even dumber, I know, you are asking yourself "how is that possible?" But they do. I cannot believe that there are these great stories that could be told in this rich and varied world, that just aren't happening.

Also, why is Terry so obsessed with violent sexual acts? Everything in this world hinges around sex and rape as a stand-in for sex.

The only character with half-a-brain is Zedd, and i suspect that is only because we only see Zedd for like seven chap
Randy
Oct 16, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Temple of the Winds is a place you wish you were, because that way, you'd be far, far away, in a fantasy world, and not reading this worthless abortion.

Note to Goodkind haters: Before you call Terry a misogynistic piece of shit for turning Kahlan into a hypocritical whore, read Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series. Female authors treat their female characters no better. Besides, there are a million better reasons to call Terry Goodkind a misogynistic piece of shit.
Emma
Aug 07, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: someone I really, really hated.
If you like terrible writing, redundant plotlines, inane characters, lots of rape and violence then Terry Goodkind is your man. Otherwise, try Robert Jordan, George R.R. Martin or Matthew Stover.
Tracey
Mar 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh!
I can't remember ever reading a book as dark/twisted/perverse as this. So THOROUGHLY MESSED UP. And I love it.

I cannot believe the shit Goodkind puts his characters through.
Not even TV!Kahlan/Richard will be the same to me after this.
Antonio Rosato
Quarto volume che è nettamente migliore degli ultimi due... ma il primo resta inarrivabile! Romanzo parecchio logorroico (io avrei eliminato almeno 200 delle sue 700 pagine) e troppo spezzettato, con la scena che, come per il terzo volume, si sposta continuamente su più fronti rendendo (almeno nel mio caso) la lettura abbastanza fastidiosa perché tronca parecchio il ritmo narrativo. C'è da dire che, almeno quello, l'azione presente è davvero efficace e ben descritta (specie le varie lotte corpo ...more
Ms. Nikki
Temple of the Winds was a little harder for me to get through as I decided to check out the audiobook. There was so much talk in this one I wasn't as excited to pick back up where I paused at.

Yes, the story-line was interesting, but getting from point A to point B was not altogether painless.

Nadine, a troubled little twit from Richard's home, arrives to stir up a cauldron of trouble.

Richard's reactions to Nadine's condemnation of Kahlan scared me a little. He was ready to kill folk over his bel
Scotty
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
For some reason the author just dragged out many of the areas of this book that just didn't need it. It was driving me crazy. If you have read this far into the series then you know how Richard and Kahlan feel for each other. For it to be expounded upon over and over during certain areas of this book was just too much. But, even in the Sword of Truth books as a whole, Terry Goodkind does a great job of having exciting conclusions to, and this book was no exception. The subplots also really sucke ...more
Adi (Reading in the Windowseat)
A stunningly thrilling, action packed new chapter in the story of Richard Rhal and Kahlan Amnel.

Even though this is the fourth book of the Sword of Truth series, it lived up to my expectations, being as good as its three predecessors. As always, Terry Goodking paints with words on paper an experience full of the sharpest emotions and feeling, describing them so well that you cannot help but be submerged into the world of the Seeker.

And yet, this story is as diffetent from the three previous book
Nathalie
Jan 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-read, own
The Temple of the Winds was the best installment of the Sword of Truth series, so far.
I was enthralled from the very beginning and felt compassionate with the main characters, immediately and unconditionally.
I bled with Cara, I cried with Kahlan and I felt desperate with Richard.

Every novel of this series I've read so far, came with a lesson. A so-called Law of Magic, but in it's essence is a lesson in morality. THis novel delves deeper in the finer workings of forgiveness and what a powerful
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
I love this series, it's fantastic, and this book kept me on the edge of my seat. With so many bad things that happen, all you can do is read on and continue to hope that everything turns out all right in the end. Very intense.
Andrés
I was disappointed, I think that's a fair assessment of "Temple of the Winds." Let's start with the plot summary.

There is now a state of war between the Imperial Order and the D'Haran Empire. While Richard tries to score points with his troops, Emperor Jagang's already on the move to vanquish his enemies once and for all. How? Easy, he's sent an ex-Sister of the Dark to steal a very powerful and deadly magic from the fabled Temple of the Winds. Soon a plague ravages the land, threatening to brin
Sam
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, amazing
Je přátelství něčím podmíněno? Můžeme ho vůbec nějak vyčíslit? Když nebudeme své přátele brát takové jací jsou se vším všudy, má takové přátelství šanci přežít?
Můžete pomoci ostatním, když tím zabijete někoho jiného? Jakou váhu takové rozhodnutí asi má? A jaké stíny to zanechá v mysli toho, který je s tím neodlučitelně spojen?
Co všechno byste byli ochotni obětovat pro záchranu ostaních, kdybyste věděli, že svým rozhodnutím ztratíte vše, na čem vám kdy záleželo?
Dá se zradit láska, když to vše vla
  • Witches' Brew (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #5)
  • Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3)
  • The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Starman (Wayfarer Redemption, #3)
  • Into the Labyrinth (The Death Gate Cycle, #6)
  • Scion of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #11)
  • A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)
Terry Goodkind is a contemporary American writer and author of the best-selling epic fantasy series, The Sword of Truth, creator of the television show The Legend of the Seeker, and writer of the self-published epic, The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus (a prequel and origin story of the first Mother Confessor). He has over 20 million copies in print and has been translated into more th ...more
More about Terry Goodkind...

Sword of Truth (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth, #2)
  • Blood of the Fold (Sword of Truth, #3)
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth, #5)
  • Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #6)
  • The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth, #7)
  • Naked Empire (Sword of Truth, #8)
  • Chainfire (Sword of Truth, #9)
  • Phantom (Sword of Truth, #10)
  • Confessor (Sword of Truth, #11)
“Wizard's Fourth Rule
There is magic in sincere forgiveness; in the forgiveness you give, but more so in the forgiveness you receive.”
79 likes
“Intent is guilt. Failure to successfully carry out the intent does not absolve the guilt.” 39 likes