Start by marking “The Shining (The Shining, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Shining (The Shining, #1)

The Shining (The Shining #1)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  889,584 Ratings  ·  16,768 Reviews
Jack Torrance's new job at the Overlook Hotel is the perfect chance for a fresh start. As the off-season caretaker at the atmospheric old hotel, he'll have plenty of time to spend reconnecting with his family and working on his writing. But as the harsh winter weather sets in, the idyllic location feels ever more remote...and more sinister. And the only one to notice the s ...more
Published July 1st 1980 by New English Library (Hodder & Stoughton) (first published January 28th 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Shining, please sign up.
Michele Definitely... just be prepared to not be able to put it down! Most of Stephen King's books are that way, they suck you in and take over your life, but…moreDefinitely... just be prepared to not be able to put it down! Most of Stephen King's books are that way, they suck you in and take over your life, but this one especially.(less)
Sandi Knapp Yes you can. Is the book about the paranormal or the state of mind of the protagonist? You decide. A great book.
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
51,831 books — 182,904 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
1,531 books — 4,738 voters

More lists with this book...

Earline
This scene from Friends pretty much sums up my feelings about this book:

"Rachel: Hmm. (she opens the freezer) Umm, why do you have a copy of The Shining in your freezer?

Joey: Oh, I was reading it last night, and I got scared, so.

Rachel: But ah, you’re safe from it if it’s in the freezer?

Joey: Well, safer. Y'know, I mean I never start reading The Shining, without making sure we’ve got plenty of room in the freezer, y'know.

Rachel: How often do you read it?

Joey: Haven’t you ever read the same book
Will Byrnes
Jan 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have not read The Shining already do not overlook the opportunity presented by the publication of Doctor Sleep, the sequel, to revisit one of the best ghost stories of our time. The appearance of the follow up offers a perfect justification for stepping through those bat-wing doors for the first time.

description
1st Edition cover – Published January 28, 1977 – 447 pps

It has been a lifetime since I read The Shining for the first time, over thirty years ago. I enjoyed it then for its effectiveness in
Chelsea Humphrey
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
This was most excellent; I can 100% see why this is many readers' favorite Stephen King novel. Heck, it's my favorite novel of his to date, although I have a good number of his books to catch up on. I've found myself overly critical of his work in the past, possibly due to the fact that he's so well known, but I feel it's more been a fault on my end. Previously I've picked up one of his doorstops at a time I wasn't prepared to fully invest in the time and energy it takes to immerse oneself into ...more
Jeffrey Keeten
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, book-to-film
Nandakishore Varma
Quite simply put, The Shining is the best horror story I have ever read. It scared the hell out of me.

Over a period of time, I have noticed certain standard "motifs" in horror stories. One of these I call "The Lost Child". Such stories will typically involve a child, who can see what the silly grownups cannot see (or, even if they do see, don't acknowledge because it goes against reason and logic): and who fights, however high the odds stacked against him/ her are. Danny Torrance is such a boy.

D
Elyse
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, Mr. Jack Torrence,.....
..... The man who was going to live by his wits....be a best selling author, acclaimed playwright and winner of the New York critics award, man of letters, winner of the Pulitzer Prize,
.....you killed my appetite
..... I’ll never be able to look at a Triscuit cracker again without thinking of “The Shining”, .... let alone eat one.
You, Sir, took the joy out of crunching those little squares.
Haha!
Great characters- storytelling- thriller by a master. Yep... I can see
Raeleen Lemay
October 2016
*2.5/5*

Soooo I wasn't a huge fan of this. There were a few things about it that I enjoyed, but overall I found it to be boring and overly drawn out. Also not scary AT ALL which was my biggest disappointment.

October 2015
I'll probably pick this up again someday, but I'm really not in the mood for this right now. Reading Harry Potter alongside this kind of ruined it for me.... Oops.
Lyn
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
About as perfect a haunted house story as can be, King was at his best here.

It's as though he built a haunted house and then filled every nook and cranny with detail. King is also at his best in regard to characterization, all well rounded and complete, we know family relationships, group dynamics, all the old hidden buried fears.

King touches base with psychological elements, theological, metaphysical, spiritual, and cryptic aspects of a ghost story to wrap the reader in a blanket of horror.

Ginger
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
All the stars!
Loved, loved this book!

I'm not sure what to say in this review that hasn't been said by others. I was blown away by how great this book was. It was so much better then the movie!

The slow progression of insanity with Jack Torrance was one of the best things about this book. I loved the overall menacing presence of The Overlook. I loved how the hotel becomes more violent and threatening to Danny and his family the longer they stay there. It was so gripping and overwhelming as the sto
Kemper
Even though the film version of this one from Stanley Kubrick is generally considered a horror classic, Stephen King has never been shy about making his dislike of it known. He hates it so much that he was heavily involved in making a more faithful adaptation of it as TV mini-series in 1997. (This inferior version invited comparisons of Stephen Weber from Wings to one of Jack Nicholson’s most iconic performances. So that worked well….)

Considering Uncle Stevie’s longstanding grudge about it, I w
Fabian
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
His best book is 'The Green Mile,' but since it doesn't quite fall under the Horror category, it is either 'Shining' or 'Carrie' which take top prize.

There is not one single detriment to this well-known tale of the disintegration of the American family within the realm of the un-dead. King here is as he has never been since: metaphoric and concise. He usually adds fact upon useless fact that converts a 400 page work into something more gargantuan, &, therefore, less enthralling.

King is not
Stephen
QUESTION: Is Stephen King the BEST PURE STORYTELLER of the 20th Century ?

ANSWER: Who knows...I haven’t got the slightest wisp of the faintest fragment of a lingering shadow of a clue how to answer that manwich-sized question. However, I do think that in order to have a credible debate on the subject, you would need to include the Prince of the Prolific Page Turner in the argument. That says something to me and it got me thinking that there is a lot to like (and even love) about much of King’s wo
Henry Avila
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is basically just another haunted house story...but my, such a great one, Stephen King brings all his considerable talents into view. Though his tendency to overwrite shows too, a little editing would have made it even better by cutting out superfluous pages, nothing wrong in being succinct . If you like ghouls, strange apparitions , an atmosphere thick with foreboding this ride will satisfy, not to mention the continuous party in the Colorado Lounge, where drinks are on the house, with Llo ...more
Evgnossia O'Hara
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, thrillers
Καταπληκτικό! Δεν βαρέθηκα ούτε στιγμή! Η πλοκή κυλούσε σαν νεράκι. Αδυναμία μου βέβαια ήταν ο Ντάνι, το πενταχρονο αγόρι που πέρασε από πραγματική κόλαση. Τις τελευταίες 250 σελ. τις διάβασα χωρίς να αφήσω το βιβλίο από τα χέρια μου. Δεν μπορούσα να κοιμηθώ πριν φτάσω στο τέλος και πραγματικά άξιζε. Το τέλος με βρήκε με δάκρυα. Ανυπομονώ να διαβάσω και άλλα βιβλία του Stephen King που είναι ο βασιλιάς του είδους! Τουλάχιστον σε αυτό το βιβλίο.
Αντε να δω πως θα κοιμηθώ τώρα.
Hannah Greendale

Mix a heaping helping of exposition, a generous spoonful of backstory, a man struggling with alcoholism and a pinch of scares. Shake and pour over ice. Voila! La cocktail de Shining.

Nayra.Hassan
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, king
هناك بريق يبهرك. .و هناك بريق يعميك 💥
عندما يتحدث كينج عن القدرات الخاصة ..يجب ان ننصت مليا"..فاعتقد ان لديه شيئا منها
و عندما يخبرنا كينج عن الإدمان.. .يجب ان نستمع جيدا
..فقد عاني طويلا من هذا الداء الوبيل
و عندمايحكي لنا كينج عن الفنادق المسكونة...فلنصمت جميعا. .فملك الرعب يخبرنا حكاية جديدة

جاك مدرس لغة إنجليزية حياته تتهدم بسبب ادمانه على الشراب ..يفقد عمله..و على شفا خسرانه زوجته و ابنه
يأخذ نفسه بالشدة
..و يقرر ان يعمل ناطورا لفندق جبلي فخم..يتم غلقه طوال الشتاء..لأن العواصف الثلجية تعزله عن ال
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Shining #1, Stephen King
The Shining is a horror novel by American author Stephen King. Published in 1977.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: از روز دوم تا روز بیستم ماه دسامبر سال 2013 میلادی
عنوان: درخشان - علم غیب؛ نویسنده: استیون کینگ؛ مترجم: لیلا شاپوریان؛ تهران، قطره، 1391، در 711 ص، 9786001196034؛
عنوان: درخشش - علم غیب؛ نویسنده: استیون کینگ؛ مترجم: غلامحسین اعرابی؛ تهران، البرز، 1378، در 648 ص، چاپ دیگر: تهران، پلیکان، 1390؛ شابک: 9786005915150؛
شاید هم عنوان درخشش بهتر باشد از درخشان، شاید هم تلالو،
Justin
Oct 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Old school Stephen King, man. That's where it's at. This is a high point in the King canon for me. In Salem's Lot before this, he developed fascinating characters inhabited a beautifully described small town. He took his time slowly unraveling the story, taking pages and pages to build the setting and deepen our relationship with the large cast of characters. In The Shining, there are basically three characters outside of a small cast of supporting actors. The setting is really just a giant old ...more
Delee
Delee?

Yes Danny...

photo 1e1983d7-a7ae-44a0-9566-14fb85e0a3af_zps2b991dd1.png

Do you feel bad?

No Danny, I just really hated your performance in the movie version of THE SHINING.

photo 710720b8-8cfe-467c-b9cf-ef5ea227ea52_zps27155419.jpg

Really Delee?

Yes Danny, I hated it more than anything else in the whooole wiiiiide woooorld.

photo ba4f97a5-3a57-443a-85d5-fff7629df36b_zps805b97d4.jpg

I know this is supposed to be a review of the novel THE SHINING, and not the movie...but I can't review the book on its own. I tried...I really did.

I first read THE SHINING just before the movie came out on video- some time in the 80s- because usually if I watch the movie first, it is very
Brad
Once upon a time, there was a young man who believed that books were always better than movies. Everyone whose opinion he respected told him it was so, and he believed it must be. And for a time he saw nothing to shake this belief. He read Dickens and saw filmed versions and knew it was so. He read Dumas and no version of Musketeers could shake his conviction. Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, and Scarlet Pimpernel all bore this out. But the young man discovered that it wasn't just the cla ...more
Carmen
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror Fans
This inhuman place makes human monsters.

When Jack, an alcoholic 14-months sober, gets offered a job as a caretaker for an old hotel in remote Colorado, he has no choice but to take it. He doesn't have many options - he's been fired from teaching and his play he's been working on is far from finished. He packs up his wife, Wendy, and his psychic five-year-old son, Danny, and waits for the snows to come.

The hotel has a Grudge, unfortunately. And Danny's psychic ability is only feeding the Grudge a
Kai
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, classics
"The world's a hard place. It don't care. It don't hate you and me but it don't love us, either."

My relationship with horror stories is a weird one. I hate them, but my fascination for them always overpowers that feeling. It may take me ages to pick up a certain book or watch a certain movie but at some point curiosity always kills the cat (and satisfaction brings it back.)

The only Stephen King I've read before is Carrie. I didn't find it either really frightening or exciting, but it was good. A
Scarlet Cameo
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rc-17
Lectura con el grupo PopSugar Reading Challenge en Español

Ya deje reposar este libro bastante, debo tener una opinión fija de él y más siendo lo que muchos consideran una joya del terror...bueno, no tanto así, más bien es un libro bastante promedio. Empezar la reseña con esta línea es ponerme la placa de snob grande, roja y en negritas en mi pequeña frente, pero en realidad no va por ese lado, va por mis propios problemas con King.

Dado que comencé siendo un poco ácida voy a tratar de decir en p
Bradley
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, 2018-shelf, horror
Back in the day when I read this, years ago, I thought it was pretty good but not fantastic. I went ahead and went through all of SK's movies, too, and remembered watching Jack Nicholson in his iconic crazy and thought to myself, "Hey! This guy is freaking crazy! I love it!"

And now. I saw the Ready Player One movie with so many scenes right from that old film and had to rewatch the original Kubrick film and read the original novel again for *very* good measure since I'm back on an SK kick.

I watc
Dan Schwent
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2013
Recovering alcoholic Jack Torrance takes a job as caretaker of the Overlook Hotel, bringing his family with him. But can even his son Danny's special gift, The Shining, stop him from going mad and butchering his family like other caretakers before him?

Yes, I'm several decades late to the party in reading this but after reading Joe Hill's NOS4A2, I had to read my first non-Dark Tower Stephen King book in years to see how the old man did horror back in the day. I'm not sure this was such a good id
Cecily
King describes my relationship with this book very well:
"His relationship with his father had been like the unfurling of some flower of beautiful potential, which, when wholly opened, turned out to be blighted inside."

My first Stephen King, and my first proper horror novel will be my last. I certainly didn't expect to be bored, but I was. After 338 pages / two thirds of the book, I decided life's too short to waste on books I don't enjoy.

If you want sinister snow, I suggest The Castle instead.
Matt
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
He sat down on one of the stools and propped his elbows on the bar’s leather-cushioned edge. At his left hand was a bowl for peanuts – now empty, of course. The first bar he’d been in for nineteen months and the damned thing was dry – just his luck. All the same, a bitterly powerful wave of nostalgia swept over him, and the physical craving for a drink seemed to work itself up from his belly to his throat to his mouth and nose, shriveling and wrinkling the tissues as it went, making them cry out ...more
F
Apr 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: seen-movie, usa
Really creepy! Would love to read again.
Jonathan Ashleigh
Nov 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: recent
I don’t read much horror, but gave this a try because I have loved true crime lately. I appreciated how the characters were introduced, but this book probably gained an extra star from me for simply being about Colorado. I loved the set up of the empty hotel, where known events could be pictured by characters in the location where they happened. This aspect made the reality of seeing ghosts more real to my skeptical nature, but it wasn’t enough. I tried to scare myself with this book but was una ...more
Carol
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow! If you have only seen the movie, you definitely should read the book too as there are quite a few scary differences. I must admit that several times throughout the book the image of Jack Nicholson came to mind though. Stephen King's writing is really amazing! NO slow or boring parts here.
Stephen King Book Recommendations 6 46 Jun 19, 2018 08:19PM
  • The Exorcist
  • Beyond Black
  • 20th Century Ghosts
  • Creepshow
  • Rosemary's Baby (Rosemary's Baby, #1)
  • The Traveling Vampire Show
  • Ring (Ring, #1)
More about Stephen King

The Shining (2 books)
  • Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2)

Fiction Deals

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Fear of Flying
    $19.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Uncertain Season
  • The Odyssey
  • And After the Fire
    $11.49 $1.99
  • The House of Impossible Beauties
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Virtuous Woman (Oprah's Book Club)
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Unsaid
  • The Wake Up
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House
  • Mystery Walk
  • Galway Bay
    $11.99 $3.99
“Sometimes human places, create inhuman monsters.” 854 likes
“Wendy? Darling? Light, of my life. I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just going to bash your brains in.” 254 likes