Start by marking “Strangers in Death (In Death, #26)” as Want to Read:
Strangers in Death (In Death, #26)

Strangers in Death

(In Death #26)

In 2060 New York, some murders still get more attention than others, especially those in which the victim is a prominent businessman, found in his Park Avenue apartment, tied to the bed—and strangled with cords of black velvet. Fortunately, homicide cop Lieutenant Eve Dallas's billionaire husband, Roarke, happens to own the prime real estate where Thomas Anders's sporting- ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by Putnam Publishing Group (first published 2008)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerThe Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Best Books of 2008
1,632 books — 6,924 voters
Naked in Death by J.D. RobbGlory in Death by J.D. RobbVengeance in Death by J.D. RobbNew York to Dallas by J.D. RobbRapture in Death by J.D. Robb
Best of J.D. Robb
33 books — 70 voters

More lists with this book...

Phrynne
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-books
This was a reread of book 26 in the series and I really had forgotten just how good these middle of the series books are!

There are so many quotable moments mostly between Roarke and Eve, but Peabody and Eve get a lot of humour going as well. There is a very romantic proposal which nearly steals the whole book. Galahad still does not get the bacon. Eve actually manages to buy a can of Pepsi from the vending machine.

And of course there is a dead body and the hunt is on for the murderer. I enjoy t
Mo
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

I feel I should just mark each future book 4 or 5 stars (without having read them). Honestly, I know I sound like a broken record but I don't know how this author has held my attention for 26 fecking books and I am still loving them. Eve. My girl crush. I love her. The way her mind works to solve the case, with the help of the usual suspects! Roarke, sigh!

Eve is never arrogant. She doubts herself on some cases. Some of the cases bring her back to her childhood, a tough time in her life
Alex ♈
Suspense 5 stars / Romance 4.5 stars

A good man, a loyal husband is killed. Was he a good man or was he a monster?
Damn, this book is one of my favorites. Eve suspected/knew from the beginning who was the villain. But no evidence and perfect alibi. And only Eve's feeling and small pieces of truth. Excellent written, excellent.
I flove psychological approach, game of minds and a highly intelligent murderer.

Eve - best woman ever!!!

Finally a good turn in Louise and Charles' relationship. I couldn't
Jilly
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The good thing about this series is that the author is always changing up how we are presented with each mystery. In some books, we immediately know who the killer is and we even get to see his POV. And, usually the killer has a super creepy POV with some very sick thoughts going through his head.

*shudder* ....sooo creepy..

In other books, we have to try and figure out who the killer is, but sometimes it's just way too obvious.

hmmm... I wonder who it could be..

Sometimes, the killer is right in fr
♥Sharon♥
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I. LOVED. IT.

Am I driving you all crazy with my 5 star reviews? I just can't seem to find flaws with these books. They are worthy of either 4 or 5 stars from me. ❤

Another fabulous addition to the series and kudos to J.D. Robb for keeping my attention and desire to read on.

One of my favorite moments in this book didn't even belong to Eve and Roarke!!!! And this is another wonderful thing about this series. Such great secondary characters. :)

The Listmaker
Feb 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: corruption
Another solid entry in the series. There seems to be two approaches with this series. A) Reveal the guilty party or parties early (about one third of the way through the book) and the remainder is how Dallas captures them and proves them guilty. B) A slower build up to the reveal (about two thirds of the way through the book) with a few red herrings thrown in, allowing the reader to figure out whodunit for themselves.

This book takes the first approach. While that is fine, I'd rather be challenge
Hulya Kara Yuksel
I just love Eve & Roarke so much. <3

She tilted her head back to look at him. “I saw you, and that’s all it took. Sometimes I can’t breathe, I love you so much.”
“Eve.” Emotion deepened his eyes as he kissed her, very sweetly, then he just rested his brow against hers.
“I keep thinking, well, this’ll settle down. It’s bound to level off and settle down. But it doesn’t. Even when things are just going smooth and we’re just…living, I can look at you, and I’ve got no breath left.”
“Every minute
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Starting a reread for group buddy read - 7/5/18 - 4.5 stars Loved the relationship development in this one, and the case was interesting also. Another great read in an awesome series!
Ira
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Something big happening here between Charles and Louise:)

Now about the crime, not complicated at all. We knew who done it very early on, only Eve had a bit problem to gather the evidence, but the way she work on it? From Roarke's eyes? I can understand why he is truly, deeply, madly in love to her! Heh:))

I want my Eve too if I fancy a bit of a girl! LOL:))
İlkim
Tam olarak düşündüğüm gibi bitti. Polisiye kısmı fazla tahmin edilebilir olsa da iyiydi.
Lauren
Strangers in Death
4 Stars

When a wealthy business man is found dead in his bed, Lieutenant Eve Dallas soon narrows down the focus to one suspect. Unfortunately, this person has an ironclad alibi and Eve will have to pull out all the stops to prove her case.

While the title of the book reveals the main plot points as well as the identities of the culprits, it is still entertaining to follow along as Eve and her team work out their theory, gather the evidence and catch the killer.

The ongoing chara
Felicia
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Maybe it's because I've read about 22 of these in a row, but the "spark" is starting to die a bit. GASP! I mean, I still LOVE these books, but I feel like the last few haven't had enough at stake emotionally for the main characters. The conflict in their relationship really drove the first dozen or so. I'm hankering for some head-butting between the two leads so they can "make up" after, hehe. :)
Anastasia
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Strangers in Death by J.D.Robb is the 26th book in the In Death series. Eve investigates the murder of a prominent sports tycoon in what appears to be a sex crime. The title of the book gives away the solution but does not detract from the enjoyment of it. I love that we catch up with all the characters and this time Charles and Louise make a special announcement. Another fabulous book in the series.
Ann Lou
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one's intriguing. Although at 30 percent mark Eve knows who the killer is or who conspired to have him killed. The problem is how to prove it. The killer planned it for months but s/he did not plan on Eve taking the case.

The last part was quiet a show. Oh and I am so happy for Louise and Charles. 😃
Mei
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
”Shouldn’t you be upstairs buying Alaska?” (Eve)
“I did that last week.” (Roarke)

So Roarke!!! LOL

Oh, I love, love, love these books! The mystery is Always different and so very intriguing and every time differently done. Sometimes we know the killer, sometimes we don't know who he/she is until the very last page, sometimes we suspect, sometimes we doubt... and here Eve knows, but she doens't have proof!

Aly is so frigging bored
1st read 19-22 September 2013

2nd read 26th February - 11th March 2016

DaJa
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, eve-dallas
Also auch wenn das jetzt der 26. Teil der Serie ist und nicht wirklich viel neues an Charakteren dazugekommen ist war das immer noch ein tolles Lesevergnügen mit 4,5 Sternen. Es macht immer noch Spass den Leutenant bei seiner Arbeit zu verfolgen, und ihr Privatleben sowieso. Leichte Unterhaltung, spannende Unerhaltung und werde ich wohl auch den nächsten Band auch bald lesen.
Gina
A Hitchcockian feel not everyone will like.

When Eve is called to a homicide on Park Avenue, she finds herself in the bedroom of Thomas Anders, sports fanatic and the head of Anders Worldwide. Sixty-one, he, like his father before him, ran a top enterprise of sporting-goods turned into more; several cities set up to help underprivileged children with sporting-goods to play sports. Unfortunately, Anders’s life was cut short. His body was found by his House Manager (housekeeper); each arm and leg t
Mara
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
3.5 Stars - This was an interesting take on the mystery plot, e.g. that Eve thinks she knows whodunnit from the jump and then is working towards validating her assumptions. It was an interesting take, but there wasn't enough character "meat" in here to really elevate it (aside from one obvious & delightful exception). Still, it's a solid entry in the series & I always enjoy my time in the world
Steve
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, in-death
Much like every other book in this series I've read, I could not put this down. The body count was far lower than others, but that didn't detract from the tension and plot twists, and my jaw literally hit the floor at the final reveal. The climax was drawn out, and really rather delicious. The small resolution at the end made me smile.
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
Another great addition to the In-Death series. All the usual players are back. The mystery is the central figure in this one. For the second book Eve doesn't wake with nightmares about her father. Could this be a sign that she's actually becoming more human? Another trend I've noticed over the last couple of books is that Eve is doing more of the command position thing rather than the lone wolf thing. Due for Captain bars soon? Hard to say. A solid 3.5 stars.
Diane
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ava is character that you can hate, period. Suzanne is a character that you can both pity and dislike.

Some good bantering between Eve and Peabody about superior lays - love that scene.

A great quote is near the end when Ava says that Eve married for money, Eve replied "I married a man. The man!" Love that quote.

5 stars and 2 thumbs up
LibraryLass
Berls
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crap. Another one I forgot to rate and review. Been finished with it for days. It was good, but damn if I remember the details.
Tina
Feb 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is the 26th book in the In Death series.

Sports Goods Tycoon Thomas Anders is murdered in his own bed. He is tied up with velvet ropes and there are other sex-toy paraphernalia around the body and in the bedroom. A kinky tryst gone bad? Eve doesn't think so. At first glance maybe, but looking at the body and other evidence in the room, it looks like a carefully planned murder to NYC's top murder cop.

As Eve track's back through the victim's life she bumps up against a grieving wife, a nephew
Karen
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read by J.D. Robb, but I have read a few Nora Roberts books. I liked her writing style in this futuristic, police, crime mystery. Even though this was book #26 in the Death Series, I didn't feel too lost. I'm sure earlier books deal more with the past and personal lives of the main characters... information I am missing.

At any rate, I enjoyed the characters especially Roarke. He's sexy, funny and rich and his personality, very likable. His wife Eve is more manly in
Andree
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Liked this one too. It's a solid addition to the series. Eve's on top form, some of the character stuff is nicely done. Really enjoyed Mira in this. Trueheart is an utter delight (particularly his role in the final scheme). I didn't call the killer. (view spoiler)

One quibble: Eve is fairly judgemental on the subject
Venus Blancia
Eve, Roarke, Peabody, and all the characters still continue to enchant me in this 26th book as they solved the case of mag wealthy man Thomas Anders murdered by desire of money, power and glory. :)

Can this be Eve? Emmy Rossum here is very Lieutenant Eve Dallas, minus the short hair.

tumblr_n5r7nrsSKw1rmh12xo2_r1_500 tumblr_n5r7nrsSKw1rmh12xo3_r1_500
J.D. Robb : Strangers In Death - July 2018 61 35 Sep 03, 2018 03:29PM
J.D. Robb : Strangers in Death (Spoiler Zone) 22 115 Dec 31, 2016 09:06AM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Strangers In Death (Feb. 2015) - Spoiler Zone 65 28 Feb 27, 2015 12:46PM
J.D. Robb : Strangers In Death (Spoiler Zone) 22 99 Feb 09, 2015 07:25PM
Romance Readers R...: Another Year of J.D. Robb: Books 15 – 26 285 349 Dec 27, 2013 07:31AM
  • Billionaires Prefer Blondes (Samantha Jellicoe, #3)
  • Sanctuary
  • Hades
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
  • Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)
  • White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)
  • Concealed in Death: by J. D. Robb -- Review
  • The Better to Hold You (Abra Barrow #1)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 49 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
“Why doesn't it bother her? Seriously, it doesn't. She's not putting on a front. She's in a serious relationship with a guy who has sex with other women for a living, and it doesn't matter to her."

"I married a cop." Roarke smiled at her. "We all have our levels of acceptance. He was an LC when they met, just as she was a doctor, and one who often works in dangerous areas of the city."

She shot him the same easy smile. "So...if I'd been an LC when we met, you wouldn't have any problem with me banging other guys. Professionally."

"None at all, as I'd kick your ass and murder all of them. But that's my level of acceptance.”
38 likes
“Clearing her throat, Peabody turned the cube on record. "I owe Dallas, Lieutenant Meaniepants Eve, twenty dollars to be paid out of my hard-earned, under-appreciated detective's salary next payday. Peabody, Detective Churchmouse Delia.” 9 likes