Start by marking “Rough Treatment (Charlie Resnick, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rough Treatment (Charlie Resnick, #2)

Rough Treatment

(Charlie Resnick #2)

A series of house break-ins that are too neat to be anything but inside jobs; a missing kilo of coke; a thief with some very nasty habits and another with too tender a heart . . . all add up to John Harvey's second complex and fast-paced police procedural featuring Charlie Resnick.
Published September 1st 1997 by Owl Publishing Company (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Rough Treatment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rough Treatment

Deb Jones
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
The Charlie Resnick series is categorized as police procedurals. While they are that, they are also character studies of the main characters on both sides of the law.

While some readers have found John Harvey's method of plotting to be confusing and overly-long, I've found my way through those concerns and seem to have gone into sync with his methods. Neither crime nor police work -- or life in general -- is strictly linear.

I'm enjoying the Resnick series and look forward to reading
Denise
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A solid 3.5 stars. I really like John Harvey's Charlie Resnick books. The story is not so much about crime(s) but people and how they ... well ... are. Some good; some not so good; some just awful. And in the background is quiet Charlie Resnick taking it all in and thinking ... what? That is the question. Does anybody (but John Harvey) know what Charlie thinks? Probably not what they think he's thinking.
On to the next one ...
DD@Phila
Mark
No sophomore slump for John Harvey in this second installment of the Charlie Resnick series, set in Nottingham in the 80s.

In this romp, the story centers on two professional house breakers, strictly high-end thieves, who have successfully moved around the UK from region to region for years, filching jewelry, cash, bonds and other valuables.

Grice is all business. Grabianski is more of a romantic, and came up with the idea that they should dress like gentleman cat burglars for all the
Rog Harrison
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this series back in the 1990s so was pleased to read this book for a second time. Detective Inspector Charlie Resnick is an appealing policeman and this is a decent read in which the author develops some of the supporting characters.
Gulshan B.
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
well, in my opinion, the story was quite simple and could have been deliciously told - instead, what we have is a roundabout way of telling one underlying story, that is at the same time overlapping with multiple other threads, most of which don't add to the main plot. Sure, this could be character-building, and guess the depiction is suitable - just not my cup.

At the end of the day, you're supposed to empathize or identify with the characters - if not with the "real" you, then at le
David Peters
Sep 28, 2009 rated it liked it
The other book I read was the second in John Harvey’s Charlie Resnick series. Charlie is a police detective on the Nottingham police force investigating a series of burglaries that are very similar to ones he saw ten years previous. Of course this leads to a deeper conspiracy which must be uncovered. The whole thing is interlaced with sad story of his personal life.

John Harvey is a prolific writer who has only gotten better over time. I started with another series he wrote, the Frank
Jo Jenner
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Charlie Resnick is on the trail of some burglars and it takes him out of his jurisdiction.
We are introduced to the burglars early on and know a lot more than Resnick. I like Grabianski but couldn't understand his attraction to Maria Roy. I disliked Harold Roy and enjoyed his general problems through out the book.
This book is not a crime book really. It is about people and their relationships. How they treat others and how generally good people will be okay in the end, even if the goo
LJ
ROUGH TREATMENT (PI-Charlie Resnick-England-Cont) - Ex
Harvey, John - 2nd Charlie Resnick

From Fantastic Fiction: A kilo of cocaine. A burglary. The wife of a TV director who makes a deal with one of the crooks, with whom she has fallen in love. Detective-Inspector Resnick has a hunch that there's more to this story than meets the eye.

Excellent police procedural - good characters, great dialogue
Alan
Mar 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
I have a theory that a nation's character can be expressed through its detective stories. American thriller usually have lots of blood; Swedish procedurals revolve around bizarre sex and British police dramas often feature unhappy, middle-aged detectives operating in gray, drab cities. That's certainly the case with this book, second in a series. I didn't catch the first and having read this one had no particular desire to continue with the series.
Inspector Resnik is middle-aged, depressed at h
Mary Lou
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I may have a new British detective to keep me up late at night. This is the second in a series of mysteries in the Inspector Resnik novels. Obviously I missed a lot by missing number one in the series, but I did not feel at sea in terms of understanding, and will not likely go back to to read the missed book — mostly due to personal preference for forward motion. Resnik has sustained enough personal damage to make him interesting to the reader — and to the women in the book. He’s one of those pe ...more
Paul Allard
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good police procedural in Nottingham - worth a look

This detective story revolves around a couple of astute professional burglars and the mess that they get involved in as DI Resnick investigates. The book includes many developed characters from CID and their foibles and problems. These do not intrude but complement the plot which swings along at a good pace. It is well-written and engaging and I'd recommend it to lovers of good straight-forward police procedural stories
Mary
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have to say, I could not get to the end of this book. It was clunky and heavy and I felt like I was wading through mud. I don't know why, but I find the author's style of writing confusing and the characters were blah with no sense of who they were or what they were about. I was bored and this is unusual for me and I had to leave it down on several occasions and start another book. Could not get to grips with it. Sorry.
Steve
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book stretches the boundaries of the police procedural genre, much to the dismay of many readers who would prefer more consistent characters and a straightforward plot. But I love these books for the complex personalities and the many subplots. I read them many years ago, and I enjoying them even more the second time around.
Sara Aye Moung
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m fairly new to the Charlie Resnick series having picked up a mid series one secondhand. I’m now going back and trying to read them in order. This #2 in the series is a good read with some unusual slants on crimes and an interesting non police character. And of course I love Charlie’s cats !
Rob Kitchin
Aug 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Rough Treatment is the second in the series of twelve police procedurals featuring Charlie Resnick. What’s nice about this story is its everydayness rather than unusual or spectacular forms of crimes. The focus is on catching two professional thieves that specialise in house burglaries. The twist is that when they enter the house of television director Harold Roy they discover his wife, who one of the thieves takes a shine to, and a kilo of cocaine that belongs to someone else. Rather than disap ...more
Monica
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very much like the burglar with a conscience, Jerzy Grabianski and the whole plot line that follows the accidental theft of a kilo of cocaine during the course of what was supposed to be the standard theft of upper middle class trinkets and cash. The burgled house belongs to a third rate television director and descriptions of the rivalries, characters and politics on the set are interesting and amusing.

The personal lives of the police force continue to be revealed - Skelton's angry resentful
Tuck
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir
police procedural set in nottingham?, somewhere in small city england, modern times. the detective is alone (with four cats), ruggedly handsome (some women think so anyway, though he turns down all offers for bed time), the best crime solver on the staff (but disliked by all the hot dogs and condescended to by all the young guns), is hard-timed by the bosses (but does he really deserve it?), solves the crimes his way, even if told not to..... so all elements are in place for outstanding stories. ...more
Jill Hutchinson
I like the Resnick series and this one was up to the standards that one expects from this author. Housebreaking by neatly dressed burglars lead to an unexpected encounter with the home owner which in turn leads to unexpected romantic entanglement. Grabiansky, a character who will show up in a later book in the series, is a likable crook and you secretly hope that he gets away with his transgressions. This is a quick and satisfying read.
Palmreader
This is the second of this series that I've read and I really am not a big fan. Those who love the Rendell and Perry books would like this series, but I've become too used to the pull of the Nordic genre to really enjoy. Too much left unsaid, protagonist gets inklings and acts on them, not enough pure hard work.
Gary Van Cott
3.5 Stars. This book is a bit unusual. While the style of writing is the same as the first book there are some significant differences. There are no murders. I thought the author was trying to be humorous in the early part of the book. One thing this book does share with the first is that the ending is somewhat abrupt without all the details spelled out.
Amy Rhodes
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Happy to spend a few more hours in Charlie Resnick's company. Unlike so many other detectives, his demons are few and his intelligence is keen so you get a solid mystery with some small advancement of everyone's personal lives.
Colin Mitchell
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I sit on the fence about this book. The plot seemed to be going along with multiple burglaries, some drug issues and TV studios and what could be a love interest. Oh! and those pesky cats. The end came rather abruptly and lacked a real twist. I will try another to see if there is any improvement.
Richard
Enjoyed this one, my first by John Harvey, but won't be my last.

Vivid, well-crafted characters . . . good pace to the story line . . . easy to follow, even if I took breaks and came back to it later.

Feb 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Neat little murder mystery. Definitely the second in a series as there is back-story that is never fully delved into and several story lines are set up to continue into the next book.
Myrna
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.75/5 stars. I enjoyed the writing, but I thought the plot was a little too far out there at times to be believable.
MaryAnn
I realized when I started this that I have already read it! But, since I like British police procedurals/mysteries, it must have been good.
Tom
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Solid gritty procedural, echoes of Chandler, good men doing bad things and bad men doing good things.
Meg Lynch
Dec 10, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm on a John Harvey tear.
Jo
Apr 11, 2011 rated it liked it
An interesting plot with likable characters, it was just a shame that the crooks had their come uppance
Simon
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Resnick at Christmas. Happiness.

• Outsider in Amsterdam (Grijpstra & de Gier Mystery #1)
  • Turnstone (DI Joe Faraday, #1)
  • The Dead Place (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #6)
  • Games Traitors Play (Legoland Trilogy #2)
  • An Advancement of Learning (Dalziel & Pascoe, #2)
  • Grave Music (Bill Slider, #4)
  • Skeleton Hill (Peter Diamond, #10)
  • The Middle Ground
  • A Drink of Deadly Wine
  • The Blood-Dimmed Tide (John Madden, #2)
  • Death's Door (DI Peter Shaw & DS George Valentine, #4)
  • Deadly Deceit (DCI Kate Daniels, #3)
  • The Secret of Annexe 3 (Inspector Morse, #7)
  • Never Apologise, Never Explain (Inspector Carlyle #2)
  • Hand in Glove
  • Murder in the Rue Dumas (Verlaque and Bonnet, #2)
  • Funeral Music (Sarah Selkirk Mystery #1)
aka Jon Barton, William S. Brady (with Angus Wells), L.J. Coburn (with Laurence James), J.B. Dancer (with Angus Wells), John B. Harvey, William M. James (with Terry Harknett and Laurence James), Terry Lennox, John J. McLaglen (with Laurence James), James Mann, Thom Ryder, J.D. Sandon (with Angus Wells), Jon Hart

John Harvey (born 21 December 1938 in London) is a British author of crime fiction most famous for his series of jazz-influenced Charlie Resnick novels, based in the City of Nottingham. Harvey ha

Charlie Resnick (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Lonely Hearts (Charlie Resnick, #1)
  • Cutting Edge (Charles Resnick, #3)
  • Off Minor (Charles Resnick, #4)
  • Wasted Years (Charles Resnick, #5)
  • Cold Light (Charles Resnick, #6)
  • Living Proof (Charles Resnick, #7)
  • Easy Meat (Charles Resnick, #8)
  • Still Waters (Charles Resnick, #9)
  • Last Rites (Charles Resnick, #10)
  • Cold in Hand (Charles Resnick, #11)