Start by marking “No Paved Road to Freedom - A Dramatic and Inspiring Story of Human Struggle Against Overwhelming Odds - Based on a True Story” as Want to Read:

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  30 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Published June 30th 2011 by Soaring Reader Press

Be the first to ask a question about No Paved Road to Freedom - A Dramatic and Inspiring Story of Human Struggle Against Overwhelming Odds - Based on a True Story

Barbara
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book came to my attention because some friends were in FL and met the man, Cornel Dolana, whom the story is about. Cornel told my friends about the book and a bit of his escape from Communist Romania. This is an amazing story of determination, bravery, & perseverance! Surely makes you cherish the precious freedoms we have in the USA and too often, take for granted. The author did a nice job of illustrating the struggles of communist occupation, spanning a time frame from the last days o ...more
Kris
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
A gripping and emotional story, No Paved Road To Freedom humanizes the impact of communist occupation in Romania after World War II. It is relevant, it inspires, and it reminds us that freedom is precious. Based on a true story, it documents the extraordinary courage of Cornel Dolana and his family as they pay an incredible price for resisting communism. Cornel makes up his mind to escape the oppression and uses his ingenuity to put his plan in place. His fortitude keeps him moving toward his go ...more
K.N.
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the story of one man's life and escape from Communist Romania. It was an eye-opener for me. I've read a lot of books on North Korea and found it surprising and appalling that such conditions were also in Europe.

This is a fast read. It's well-paced, informative, and it keeps you engaged and on the edge of your seat, especially when the planning for escape begins.

I wish that there had been more about Mr. Dolana's story after his escape, but that is nit-picking. Rushton did a satisfactory j
John and Carol Jeffries
No Paved Road to Freedom is a first-person account of life in WWII and communist Romania by a man who amazingly managed to escape. I would rate this riveting account as a must-read. There but for the grace of God could one day be America.
Elaine
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Representative of the struggle for freedom and broached the convoluted and pernicious consequences of communism from a very personal level. The maps and photos at the conclusion of the book were nice!
Kathy
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am not normally a reader of non-fiction but for some reason the description of this book intrigued me. Once I started reading it, I could not put it down. The story of Cornel Dolana's escape from communist Romania was both horrifying and inspiring.
Nancy
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
reminder to cherish our freedoms, God bless America
Natalie Greve
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Must read. Could not put down. Well written account of one man's determination to escape communism. A-mazing!
Daniel Thompson
Lisa Yates
Aug 19, 2015
Sheila Dunbar
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Good story, but somewhat stilted and dry style of writing.
Dwight Zimmerman