Start by marking “Samantha Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Samantha, #2)” as Want to Read:
Samantha Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Samantha, #2)

Samantha Learns a Lesson: A School Story

(American Girl: Samantha #2)

Samantha attends Miss Crampton's Academy, a private school for proper young ladies. Samantha wants to win the gold medal in the speaking contest, but she's worried about Nellie, the poor servant girl who has become her friend. If she can teach Nellie to read, maybe the boys and girls at school will stop calling Nellie "dummy" and "ragbag." Samantha sets up a school in Gran ...more
Published March 1st 1988 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published January 1st 1986)

Start your review of Samantha Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Samantha, #2)
E
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrensfiction
This was my favorite of the Samantha books because of the strong social message and the effortless way in which it is executed. In the other books, Nellie is often portrayed as a helpless, lower class child in desperate need of whatever aid super-rich Samantha is generous enough to offer her. In this tale, however, she turns from Samantha's grateful student into her much-needed teacher with that unforgettable line brimming with conviction: "It's just not true."

It's not easy to write a children'
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
I loved reading these books when I was a girl, and now I am enjoying revisiting these stories and remembering the little details. Samantha is a wonderful main character, and the stories are simple and heartfelt.
Jessika
This is truly a great series of books for young girls. Despite the appeal of the dolls, I remember this series more than satiated my thirst for books when I was younger. Not only were the stories entertaining and not only did each of the different girls feel like my friends, but each of the girls taught about different eras in America's history without reading too much like a textbook.

With this book in particular, I liked the ultimate "lesson" that Samantha learns and I liked that despite Saman
Kaley Catron
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was cool to read because they talked about the factories that I had previously not known about when I first read these books but now since APUSH I've learned more about them and it was more interesting to read about now to see what I actually learned from that class 😂😂
Jasmine Shadows
Jun 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Character building stories. Samantha is a very delightful character.
Ashlee
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another good choice for reading with my 4 y/o daughter.
Katelyn Marie
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely read I do love Samantha and her Grandmother!!! It still amazes me at how childern were expected to work in such dangerous factories!!!!
Makenzie Hofacker
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
More good life lessons!! I think the main one in this was to acknowledge one's own privilege and see other people's struggles in life.
Panda Incognito
This book further develops the story of Nellie. Samantha learns more about her background as a child factory worker, and grows in her compassion and awareness for people outside of her privileged bubble. However, this book is still written in a clunky style. "Probably no one on earth was as smart as Edith Eddleton thought she was" is a good burn, but I'd rephrase it for more impact. Also, parts of the story are oddly paced as the author rushes through to each plot point.

My bigger issue with this
Patricia Wilson
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Samantha Learns a Lesson by Susan J. Adler is a 55 page historical fiction book. It is one book in a series set in 1904. This book is for children of primary age to 100. This book is makes you want to hurry and finish and get to the next book but it is not a must read.
The book begins with Samantha in private school. She is a good student. After school she usually played with her best friend Nellie but Nellie moved away. Nellie is a servant girl that use to work in a factory and then next door a
I think that Samantha grows in this book, but she also has more respect for Grandmary when she over hears what Grandmary says to Mrs. Eddleton. I also think that both Nellie and Samantha learn a lot from each other. That is what true friends do.
Victoria Fry
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find Samantha's speech on progress at the end of the book so inspiring and still, sadly, quite timely.
Leta Blake
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 9yo says. "Wonderful!"
Alissandra D.
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: its-a-series
this book is full of selflessness
Katie
Re-reading for the first time in decades, here's what jumps out:

- There are a lot of Samantha qualities I don't necessarily share. She's braver than I was at her age, more outgoing, and more popular. But the bit at the beginning where she tries to coach Helen through a French word she doesn't recognize? That I felt.

- I love that Samantha never once questions whether her life would be easier without having to stick up for Nellie to the likes of Edith, Clarisse and Eddie.

- How does Nellie feel abo
Ali Book&Seaglasshunter
May 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2020
I’ve been rereading all of the American Girl books while listening to the “American Girls” podcast. And ugh, Samantha is such a bore in comparison to the others. I know I read her books as a child but couldn’t remember them now, 20 years later. This one is slightly more interesting than “Meet Samantha”. Here we see Samantha descend deeper into her savior complex, as she appoints herself tutor to Nellie. Samantha is annoying and constantly dragging Nellie over to study after she’s probably worked ...more
Marilyn
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I saw the title of this book I just had to read it because I know someone named Samantha. I will pass this book on to Samantha now that I’ve read it.
I never had any daughters and this is my first experience with the American Girls Collection of books. I liked the quality of the book and the writing was very good. I particularly liked the ‘lesson’ learned as well and the historical section in the back. A series I’d recommend for young girls.
Willow Redd
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another cute story in the American Girl: Samantha series. In this one, Samantha learns a little something about her privilege through the eyes of her friend Nellie, a girl from a poor family who used to work in a factory before Samantha's grandmother found the family servant work in a house two doors down.

We also see Nellie's very first opportunity to attend school and the problems that entails.
Marilyn
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice little book, good messages. Saw this book in a local library ‘free’ shelf and since my daughter-in-law’s name is Samantha, I picked it up. I decided to read it before giving to her and I enjoyed it. What a nice series. My granddaughter is too young yet but hopefully some day I will give her an American Girl doll.
Eliza  Haentzler
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great book. I love the message the book has to offer. It's a very clean book. There is NOTHING to be worried about for your kid. This book is more for younger girls. Probably girls from 7-10. It is a great and entertaining story. The language is all clean. No abuse. No scariness. No bad images.
Enjoy!
Sophie
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked Samantha's enthusiasm to help teach Nellie, her friend who wasn't able to go to school. I like that in the Samantha books, there is a little fact section in the back which tells true stories about what it would have been to live in Samantha's life time. (Sophie, Age 9)
Michelle Porter
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
same with my other post about this but not as long. I really enjoy how these books as a series flow in to one another. It is not something I am used to reading and wonder if more childrens books are like this.
Laurie
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: emily
These are so cute. I love how I can have discussions with my 8 year old about what it was like back in 1904. It's just so wildly different from today. Lots of lessons of learn. (Umm, not meant to be a play on the title of the book, lol.)
Noël
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Re-reading more childhood faves and realizing (again) how much I've forgotten! Damn. Samantha gives us all the lessons on the class system and the problems with "progress" (convenience at the cost of others). Samantha's stories are all set in 1904 but they definitely still resonate today.
Lina J
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mary Thomas
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reading through some of these again. Nice little stories...
Megan
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's another good American Girl book. Kept up my interest. Historically accurate which I really appreciate.
Emily
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The bait and switch of the speech was marvelous.
Carol
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I remember this book vividly from my childhood and it seemed to be pretty impactful on my 6 yr old as well.
Sarina
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood-faves
When Samantha’s privileged point-of-view was challenged, she didn’t double down on what she said. Instead, she listened to Nellie’s story and learned from it.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Kirsten Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #5)
  • Kirsten's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #3)
  • Addy Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Addy, #2)
  • Happy Birthday, Kirsten: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #4)
  • Changes for Kirsten: A Winter Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #6)
  • Addy's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Addy, #3)
  • Felicity Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Felicity, #2)
  • Kirsten Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #2)
  • Happy Birthday, Addy!: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Addy, #4)
  • Molly Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Molly, #2)
  • Meet Kirsten: An American Girl (American Girls: Kirsten, #1)
  • Addy Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Addy, #5)
  • Changes for Addy: A Winter Story (American Girls: Addy, #6)
  • Felicity's Surprise (American Girls: Felicity, #3)
  • Felicity Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Felicity, #5)
  • Meet Molly: An American Girl (American Girls: Molly, #1)
  • Nellie's Promise (American Girls: Samantha, #7)
  • Meet Addy: An American Girl (American Girls: Addy, #1)

American Girl: Samantha (6 books)
  • Meet Samantha: An American Girl (American Girls: Samantha, #1)
  • Samantha's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Samantha, #3)
  • Happy Birthday Samantha!: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Samantha, #4)
  • Samantha Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Samantha, #5)
  • Changes for Samantha: A Winter Story (American Girls: Samantha, #6)

News & Interviews